Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th December 2010, 22:54   #556
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Yeah. That is the whole issue with buying stuff from there. All I can say is, stay away from Cramster.

My hands are still hurting after the evening ride back home. Why can't they design a decent hand glove? :O
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 22:30   #557
BHPian

Default 2300 km

Anyone has done a scientific research on the Butt pain issue of RE Classic ? Its Butt Pain and not Back Pain. What causes the pain ? Is it due to the springs alone or lack of cushion in the seat?

Today I was examining the seat - pressing and squeezing the seat cushion with my fingers when I found something - the top end of the springs or the nut that holds the springs can be felt through the cushion with my fingers if i press and squeeze hard. Is it possible that this Nut or whatever is holding the springs are touching your Butt while riding and this causes the pain ? I have read somewhere that Butt pain is proportional to the weight of the rider. For heavier persons, the seat cushion will be squeezed more and possibility of touching the spring nut is faster.

My point is - if the exact reason for the pain can be found - then a solution to overcome it can also be found - without changing the form factor of the seat and hence the beauty of the Classic.

regards
San
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 23:06   #558
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2300 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Anyone has done a scientific research on the Butt pain issue of RE Classic ? Its Butt Pain and not Back Pain. What causes the pain ? Is it due to the springs alone or lack of cushion in the seat?

Today I was examining the seat - pressing and squeezing the seat cushion with my fingers when I found something - the top end of the springs or the nut that holds the springs can be felt through the cushion with my fingers if i press and squeeze hard. Is it possible that this Nut or whatever is holding the springs are touching your Butt while riding and this causes the pain ? I have read somewhere that Butt pain is proportional to the weight of the rider. For heavier persons, the seat cushion will be squeezed more and possibility of touching the spring nut is faster.

My point is - if the exact reason for the pain can be found - then a solution to overcome it can also be found - without changing the form factor of the seat and hence the beauty of the Classic.

regards
San
I have a harder foam and can tell you that it makes no difference whatsoever. My daily 100 km ride literally has my back broken.

In fact, I am announcing a lunch at a good restaurant as a prize for anyone who comes up with an implementable, guaranteed-to-be-comfy seat for the Classic 350.

PS: San, why is butt in bold throughout?
Old 15th December 2010, 08:00   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
PS: San, why is butt in bold throughout?
I was stressing the fact that it is not the usual Back pain that we experience on riding a bike through rough potholed roads. I have had back pain on riding the splendor for long duration or rough roads - and it requires me to take bed rest for several hours or in some cases days together. But in case of Classic, the pain is a different kind - it becomes uncomfortable and painful to sit on the seat. And this pain vanishes just 10minutes after you stop the vehicle. (Is this the case with everyone? - So far my rides has not lasted more than 90 minutes)

Achint, along with your lunch offer, add a good dessert from my side too. . Since my run in is completed, I am really beginning to enjoy the Bull rides except for this darn butt pain

regards
san
Old 15th December 2010, 08:15   #560
Senior - BHPian

^
Yes. This is exactly how and where it hurts. The pain is localized to the area around the tailbone.
I ride for ~3-4 hours everyday, and it doesn't hurt once you get off the Bull. Probably the reason why I take it out everyday. :P

But please, anyone! Please share a design that would help us enjoy our rides some more.
Sadly, Sanjeet isn't troubled by the seat. We don't see any action on the ergonomics front. Sab engine-engine khelte rehte hain.
Cheers
Old 15th December 2010, 10:58   #561
BHPian

@San and EssYouWe,
Hi friends, Ever noticed the riding posture in the classics. It is as if you are slightly slouching backwards with the legs slightly stretching to the front (one gets the feeling that if you let go of the handle bar you will fall backwards). The saddle tilts backwards under the body weight of the rider when the springs compresses resulting in the body weight of the rider concentrated near the tailbone region. May be using a spring set with high tension might help.
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 15th December 2010 at 11:00.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 11:57   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@San and EssYouWe,
Hi friends, Ever noticed the riding posture in the classics. It is as if you are slightly slouching backwards with the legs slightly stretching to the front (one gets the feeling that if you let go of the handle bar you will fall backwards). The saddle tilts backwards under the body weight of the rider when the springs compresses resulting in the body weight of the rider concentrated near the tailbone region. May be using a spring set with high tension might help.
Regards Adrian
Hey

I have changed my seat setting twice. Right now, my posture is more like a regular bike's. Slanted forward slightly. I think the solution is a seat that is low, lets you slouch backwards with some butt support at the back.
Old 15th December 2010, 12:29   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
San
Even my observation was the same. It is Butt pain and not Back pain. As of now taking breaks after every 1hr solves the issue. But we need something more long term.

Further When I rode on the back seat of classic for the first time after 9000+kms I realised why people crib about it. There is no support at all for the sit bones (hard seat should make the ride tad more comfortable). The stock seat is infact more of a wedge than anything else
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 13:59   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Hey

I have changed my seat setting twice. Right now, my posture is more like a regular bike's. Slanted forward slightly. I think the solution is a seat that is low, lets you slouch backwards with some butt support at the back.
Hi EssYouWe,
Even if the seat is slanted forward, the foot pegs are to the front. Just try this carefully. Can you stand up from the saddle on to the foot pegs just by using the power of your legs (I mean without pulling at the handlebar). If not, your back is taking up all your body weight during your rides. Consider the riding position in a CBZ. You are slouched forward with the foot pegs coming directly under your bottom. When hitting a pothole the body doesnot take the impact but the hip and knee acts like hinges with the body weight coming on to the legs. I think that the positioning of the foot pegs are not right and sadly we cant do anything about that.
Regards Adrian
Old 15th December 2010, 14:49   #565
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... you do have a very valid point. This was something I had observed, but did not know that it could indicate a design flaw.

Anything that can be done to the seat to make the situation palatable? There must be a way, the Harleys too have foot pegs at the front. I am pretty sure they are super comfy. :P
Old 15th December 2010, 15:10   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@San and EssYouWe,
Regards Adrian
I beg to differ slightly. A tilted backwards position will be more comfortable - see the riding position of TBTS - said to be the most comfortable RE. The Classic has an upright stance - neither forward, nor backward.

I was thinking the seat springs are too soft, but today I was checking it closely and they seemed to be pretty stiff. They dont sag a bit with my weight (70kg) and also myself rocking up and down on it. (I tried sitting with centre stand on). So in my case the saddle does not tilt backwards under the weight of the rider.

Anyway the ultimate conclusion is that somehow the tailbone is being stressed causing the pain.

The various seat modifications on Classic so far has been to harden the cushion and stiffen the springs. Perhaps we should try the opposite (soften both) and see the results?

regards
san
Old 15th December 2010, 15:21   #567
BHPian

@San and EssYouWe
Posting pictures of both harley and the thunderbird. The common factor of comfort in these bikes is the similarity of the seat with back support (atleast to the tail end !) In in the harley you can see that the foot pegs are to the far front resulting in a more comfortably stretched leg and the weight of the body off your back. In an RE classic to attain this posture, you have to take your foot off the footpegs and put in on the leg guards!
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-nightrod_special_rhf_1280.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-rethunderbirdtwinsparkred.jpg  

Last edited by adrian : 15th December 2010 at 15:24.
Old 15th December 2010, 18:43   #568
BHPian

@adrian
Mouthwatering pics - for a moment I forgot all about butt pains

Friends, Please revisit Page 41, 42 of Randhawa's C5 thread where a member bludhemn has experimented with softer springs locally made by him. Bludhemn, if you are listening, please update the current status of your modification - Is it worthwhile ?

regards
san
Old 16th December 2010, 22:45   #569
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys!
Faced a peculiar issue today.
My front brake seems to engage in spurts. It is very noticeable at lower speeds, when rolling to a halt without engine braking. It is something like ABS.
Is the pad toast?

Last edited by EssYouWe : 16th December 2010 at 22:47.
Old 17th December 2010, 12:34   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!
Faced a peculiar issue today.
My front brake seems to engage in spurts. It is very noticeable at lower speeds, when rolling to a halt without engine braking. It is something like ABS.
Is the pad toast?
Hi,
Oil on the disc ??!! Wipe the disk free of dirt and slime and try again.

@San : You bet !

Last edited by adrian : 17th December 2010 at 12:37.