Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd December 2010, 12:01   #586
Senior - BHPian

Default Clutch Cable Removal

Process for Clutch Cable replacement

Tools required: All available in the standard toolkit

1.) The first thing to take care of is to identify the point of snapping. This can be at the lever, at the clutch case, or someplace in the middle.

2.) It is prudent to start working from that end to take advantage of the slack in the cable. The cable can be slightly tough to work with as it is quite stiff.

3.) If the cable is slack at the lever end, it can be pulled out after loosening the lever. The knob at the end of the cable might still be stuck in the lever, that is to be scrapped out using some sharp object (I used the screwdriver).

4.) The clutch cable end is fairly simple to unhook. Once unhooked, unscrew the nut at the right side of the of screw that is driven through the holder cavity. Pull the rubber piece off the end, and along comes out the nut. Now the cable can be fully freed from the clutch casing.

5.) It takes some effort to pull out the whole cable from the huge bunch of them. But once this is done, you are good to proceed with hooking up the new cable.

6.) Route the cable from the hole provided next to the clutch label.

7.) Remove the black rubber on the clutch casing end, and pull out one of the nuts. Insert this end into the clutch casing hollow cavity and pull on the rubber with the nut. Hook up this end of the cable.

8.) The lever end needs to be tackled next. Make sure your cable is adjusted for max slack at the clutch casing end. Hook up the knob at the end of the cable with the cavity under the lever.

9.) Your work is done. Adjust the play in the clutch cable to 2-5 mm of free play and the disengaging range to ~80% of total lever play.

The total process takes around 20 minutes.

I know this is kind of vague. I'll try and do one with pictures soon.

I would strongly recommend you all to pick up a spare clutch cable and carry it at all times (especially people with >4000 kms on the odo, mine snapped at 6,500 kms).

Cheers
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:51   #587
BHPian

Default Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

^^
Also if the end of the cable (especially near the engine side) is badly twisted or threaded, it is always good to remove that part of the cable with cutting pliers to avoid the cable outer being damaged during the pull out process. A bit of grease on the cable while routing will give fine results.
Regrads Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 23rd December 2010 at 12:59.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:02   #588
BHPian

Hi EssYouWe, its a pretty write-up on the Clutch Cable replacement . Slightly OT - Adding to Adrian, a cutting plier along with standard tool kit will help during the situations where in Clutch Cable is twisted and hard to remove.

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:03   #589
Senior - BHPian

Okay so I have a squeaking rear wheel. What do you guys think it might be?
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:16   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Okay so I have a squeaking rear wheel. What do you guys think it might be?
Brake drum? The brake shoe spring sometimes causes trouble - I set it right once - but that was more like a crackling sound on brake applying - not squeeking.

I think I ve read something on this by nasirkaka on Randhawa's thread - he had to do some lathe work on the brake drum to stop the noise.

I got it- here it is: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2157627

regards
san

Last edited by stnair : 23rd December 2010 at 21:19. Reason: More data
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:26   #591
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm I had thought this might be one of the possible issues. Actually I had thought the swing arm needed lubrication. I am just not getting the time to get these things rectified. :(
Old 27th December 2010, 13:40   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm I had thought this might be one of the possible issues. Actually I had thought the swing arm needed lubrication. I am just not getting the time to get these things rectified. :(
Stick to this old saying my friend : A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE !
Wish you all a very happy New Year in advance.
Regards Adrian
Old 27th December 2010, 20:59   #593
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm you have a point Adrian.

In any case, riding season 2010 is over for me. My parents threatened to deflate my tyres if I take the Bull to office in the fog. I guess they have a point. It was a scary ride today, I couldn't see anything beyond the car right in front of me.
I guess safety has to come above insanity.

Office cab from tomorrow on. Sigh... :(

I plan to roll the Bull out in Feb now. I will of course run it during the weekends, but no serious mileage piling for now.
The odo today reads 7,009 kms.

Have a great new year guys, and remember: no drinking and riding please!

Cheers!
Old 28th December 2010, 16:29   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm you have a point Adrian.

In any case, riding season 2010 is over for me. My parents threatened to deflate my tyres if I take the Bull to office in the fog. I guess they have a point. It was a scary ride today, I couldn't see anything beyond the car right in front of me.
I guess safety has to come above insanity.

Office cab from tomorrow on. Sigh... :(

I plan to roll the Bull out in Feb now. I will of course run it during the weekends, but no serious mileage piling for now.
The odo today reads 7,009 kms.

Have a great new year guys, and remember: no drinking and riding please!

Cheers!
Hi Friend,
7K+ in one year. It is something like the quote from the film Wild Hogs : "RIDE HARD OR STAY HOME !. You sure have piled up some miles and experiences. Out of that : How about your overall rating of the RE 350 classic ? What do you think are its pros and cons ?
Regards Adrian
Old 29th December 2010, 12:49   #595
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... I have been thinking of doing this. It will be great if other owners can share their experience likewise so that we can consolidate it and add it to the first post of thread.

It is very important to know what you want from your machine. Most people end up dissatisfied simple because they fail to realise what they really want from their bike.

There are a lot of areas in which my Bull surpassed my expectations and then there are some where it did not meet them. The only things that I find less than ideal on my Bull are:
  • Comfort
  • Top-end Performance
  • Thump
Comfort: After spending in excess of Rs. 2,000 on the front seat, I still suffer from the debilitating back ache. This bike can not be driven for long periods without a break. Someone has to do something about the seat. I would go so far as to say that this ought to be a major deal-breaker for any tourer. Of course the option of tampering the frame's integrity and installing a comfortable single seat remains, but I am not very keen on doing that.
The handlebar should be a tad bit higher. Replacing the handlebar with a slightly higher one should bear good results.
The foot pegs could have been a few inches forward.

Obviously, all of these are things one makes peace with; and I have. Over the course of 7,000 kms I have changed my riding position 3~4 times.

Performance: This was a slightly rude surprise. The Classic 350 is definitely better than the CI Bulls, but still loses out to most plastics out there. Outright performance is strictly pedestrian; and even though there is juice at the top end, the horrid vibrations make you want to stop. (65+ in the 4th gear makes me want to kill myself)
Thankfully, this stops in the 5th gear and the Bull is fairly composed at 90~100. Anything above that seems to be a great strain on the engine initially. But one must persevere, for there are great results to be seen at the end of a 3-4 minute 100+ ride. The whole engine smooths out. 60 in the 5th gear feels like idling .
Even then, you somehow feel like its more of a city commuter.
I know the power is there, I only wish it were delivered better.

Thump: Of this there is none.
As has been discussed to shreds, the UCE engine is incapable of hiding the valve clutter under any substantial exhaust note. I am yet to try the Goldie and Punjab silencers, they remain the last hope.
Anyone looking to change exhaust pipes should avoid the upswept and shortie.

All in all, I am happy with my Bull. I still clean it everyday. I still die a thousand deaths if I hear a weird sound from the engine. But sometimes I wish I had just a bit more power to put down on the road and a bit less noise.

Sorry for such a long post. I would love to hear your comments and views on these issues.

Cheers

Last edited by Dippy : 30th December 2010 at 18:10. Reason: Only two smilies per post please. Thanks
Old 29th December 2010, 23:59   #596
BHPian

Quote:
It is very important to know what you want from your machine. Most people end up dissatisfied simple because they fail to realise what they really want from their bike.
Thats very true.

Quote:
There are a lot of areas in which my Bull surpassed my expectations and then there are some where it did not meet them.
Please also tell the areas in which the Bull surpassed your expectations.

I am a very happy and contended person with my Bull. I never push it beyond 90kmph. I cruise happily between 60 and 80 in 5th gear. As you said the vibrations are pretty low in this speed and gear. I've never ridden a C5 or Karisma etc and so do not compare the power or torque with anything (except my scooty) . The seat may not be comfortable but doesnt give backpain either.

regards
san

P.S: A very happy new year to everyone.
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 00:33   #597
BHPian

Thump: Of this there is none.
As has been discussed to shreds, the UCE engine is incapable of hiding the valve clutter under any substantial exhaust note. I am yet to try the Goldie and Punjab silencers, they remain the last hope.
Anyone looking to change exhaust pipes should avoid the upswept and shortie.

Hey Achint,

How are you doing? Sorry about the last time man. Will surely make up for it. By the way you also had a shortie on your bull ain't it.? Aren't you satisfied with it.? Did you change it back to stock? Once I save up enough I'll surely be contacting Sans Inc.

And I am still riding my bull in these harsh winters. Clocked 8654 kms on the odo.

Take care.

Last edited by Dippy : 30th December 2010 at 18:09. Reason: Only two smilies allowed per post. Please go through the rules. Thanks
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 07:07   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Please also tell the areas in which the Bull surpassed your expectations.

The seat may not be comfortable but doesnt give backpain either.
The Bull has been exceptionally reliable. When I compare my ownership experience with Sanjeet's or anyone with a non-UCE 350 Bull, I have had way fewer problems than them.
Although I would love to attribute that to the care I provide my Bull, but the fact is that the UCE 350 is largely hassle free if maintained properly.

I find the high speed stability to be great! Unlike the C5s which are sometimes iffy at 3 digit speeds, the 350 is solid as a rock at high speeds.

Our Bulls are just so temperamental. There are some days when everything in the engine feels off-key, and then there are some when the beautiful rhythm makes you scream with joy inside the confines of your helmet (I really do this!).

And it still looks way better than anything out there on the roads. Even the C5 with its puny 18" in front looks nowhere as good as the Classic 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post

Hey Achint,

How are you doing? Sorry about the last time man. Will surely make up for it. By the way you also had a shortie on your bull ain't it.? Aren't you satisfied with it.? Did you change it back to stock? Once I save up enough I'll surely be contacting Sans Inc.

And I am still riding my bull in these harsh winters. Clocked 8654 kms on the odo.

Take care.
No problems mate! Yup, I run a shortie. But I also get bored of my exhausts super fast. So I'll probably be changing mine again by the end of January.

Please be careful while riding man. Its getting super foggy. Best stay away from the roads in the morning and night.

Ride safe!

Happy new year fellas!
Old 1st January 2011, 16:17   #599
BHPian

Hi Friends, I am waiting for my STD 350 UCE and is not satisfied with the rear tyre size (3.25 / 19") of the machine. The tyre looks skinny when compared to the massive machine. So the only upgrade now available without any modification is to change to 3.50 / 19". I searched other threads above downsizing to 18" and they all preach about buying a CBZ rim, rearranging the spoke holes and all that. Can anyone tell me if the rear wheel of the classic 350 (18") can be adopted for STD 350 without any modification ?
Old 1st January 2011, 16:24   #600
Senior - BHPian

Ummm... I am not sure if the STD swing arm can accommodate the Classic tyre. Will need to take a look at it. 3.5 18" should be equivalent to 110/80 18", even a 120/80 18" would make sense. Would you want to downsize to 18"? It makes the Bull look kinda small. Does the Sirrac come in 19"?