Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th July 2011, 17:16   #826
BHPian

Default Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Hello Friends , here a query , one of my colleague went for first service of his CL 350 the mechanic advised not to use kick start often as this might damage the "second gear box". I didnít have any clue on this so posting here to get some thoughts on this. What I thought was mechanic is bluffing and there cant be anything like this, on the other side the real fun of Bull is in kick starting and driving.

Cheers !!!
It is advisable to use the electric start, as the kick starting may damage the sprang clutch (referred to by the mech as "second gear box").

The best procedure in the morning is to depress the clutch and kick the bike slowly a few times, just to loosen up the clutch. Then turn on the ignition wait for the check lights to go off (if you have this on the 350) and fire the engine. Let it idle for a minute to warm up everything and then ride ..........!!
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 13:52   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
It is advisable to use the electric start, as the kick starting may damage the sprang clutch (referred to by the mech as "second gear box").

The best procedure in the morning is to depress the clutch and kick the bike slowly a few times, just to loosen up the clutch.
Thanks bradhey for this information. My understanding was the other way round on using the kick start, I rarely used ES on my bike, got my facts corrected and let me practice this now on . Ahh the mechanic was correct ..

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 18:09   #828
BHPian

@ Milestone : That means you did not read the owners manual carefully ?? Please take some time to go through it.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 13:11   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
@ Milestone : That means you did not read the owners manual carefully ?? Please take some time to go through it.
Haven't gone through CL 350 manual so not sure about it, and don't recollect anything of this sort mentioned in Elactra manual, the one which I own.

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 13:34   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

Arrey sir! You have been a Classic owner for so long. Stop worrying about it. Till the time your bike is idling normally and not dying out on you, its fine. Read up on carb tuning and on a mad day just try to tune the carb yourself. Loads of fun the first time!
Hi Essyouwe, there is a first time fumbling for everything and by the way my ride is a standard 350.

I think RE is not manufacturing enough spares for their new bikes. I just decided to keep a spare supply of all the cables and had to go to the service station many times to get hold of a spare clutch cable !

After I had fumbled with the secondary spark plug wire, a lot of good things have happened.
1. The bike sound and idling has improved
2. The pulling has improved to a great extend
3. The FE has improved
I have reached the conclusion that the secondary spark wire might have been loose and the bike might have been riding on a single spark plug (main) and the secondary was not firing. Refitting the wire might have sorted out the situation and improved the bike performance. God knows !!
Regards Adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:44   #831
BHPian

Hi friends,

I got my CL350 delivered last week and done the first service yesterday.
KI have been observing a problem and told the A$$ about the problem.

An abnormal noise from front, sounds like tyre rubbing into the mudguard.

They took it for a ride and said no such sound and the only extra sound it comes is from the chain. I took the delivery after service and in night on the way back to the home, it starts again. At home I inspected the front tyre & mudguard clearance and it is satisfactory.

What can be the cause? Did any of you experienced this?
Anz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:55   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anz1979 View Post
Hi friends,

I got my CL350 delivered last week and done the first service yesterday.
KI have been observing a problem and told the A$$ about the problem.

An abnormal noise from front, sounds like tyre rubbing into the mudguard.

They took it for a ride and said no such sound and the only extra sound it comes is from the chain. I took the delivery after service and in night on the way back to the home, it starts again. At home I inspected the front tyre & mudguard clearance and it is satisfactory.

What can be the cause? Did any of you experienced this?
Hi friend, Check your disk brakes. They must be binding.
Regards Adrian
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:16   #833
BHPian

Quote:
... noise from front, sounds like tyre rubbing into the mudguard...
Little swishing noise can come from front disc brake too. If the wheel is not jamming due to this you can ignore it, otherwise, it could be some dirt or bent rotor disc. Latter should be addressed in warranty. Also check speedo cable not fouling against tire.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 2nd August 2011 at 11:16. Reason: remove duplicate words
bj96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 06:14   #834
BHPian

Hi friends,
That was not a swishing or hissing -small noise from discs. It is a very frightening sound pops in between riding. Once an old lady on Activa suddenly breaked because she got frightened due to this terrible sound. She was riding by my left side.

Adrian ,

I took that to Marikkar service at plamood. They also told about discs etc prior to checking the bike. I strongly insisted them to take it for a ride not less than 4km. One guy went and he said, once he heard it and he agreed that was not from disc and it was very loud metal rubbing noise.As he cannot identify the source of it he handed over to his senior. Again this man took it for a ride, but he didn't heard it. So I went for a ride with him. While I ride this again pops up. He immediately said that was from chain rubbing chain pad.

Chain pad removed and again went for a ride, but sound exists. Next ride done after removing chain cover. But sound is there. What is it? That was the question. At last they found it was from Front wheel. The wheel bearing was the hero.It was making this loud frightening noise in between rides.

They have corrected it by putting grease. Then I went for a 24 km ride.No sounds. I think it is cleared. If it pops again will ask then to replace bearing.
Anz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:00   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,
That was not a swishing or hissing -small noise from discs. It is a very frightening sound pops in between riding. Once an old lady on Activa suddenly breaked because she got frightened due to this terrible sound. She was riding by my left side.

Adrian ,

I took that to Marikkar service at plamood. They also told about discs etc prior to checking the bike. I strongly insisted them to take it for a ride not less than 4km. One guy went and he said, once he heard it and he agreed that was not from disc and it was very loud metal rubbing noise.As he cannot identify the source of it he handed over to his senior. Again this man took it for a ride, but he didn't heard it. So I went for a ride with him. While I ride this again pops up. He immediately said that was from chain rubbing chain pad.

Chain pad removed and again went for a ride, but sound exists. Next ride done after removing chain cover. But sound is there. What is it? That was the question. At last they found it was from Front wheel. The wheel bearing was the hero.It was making this loud frightening noise in between rides.

They have corrected it by putting grease. Then I went for a 24 km ride.No sounds. I think it is cleared. If it pops again will ask then to replace bearing.
I can't imagine wheel bearing can make such kind of noise beacuse it is sucha small part and with such small gap in between. Anyway its good it got sorted out. Keep us updated in case it persists.

Ride Safe
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:35   #836
BHPian

Quote:
.. The wheel bearing was the hero.It was making this loud frightening noise in between rides. .... They have corrected it by putting grease. .... I think it is cleared.
Better change it right away, preferably both sides. Going by your say, enough damage is already there on bearing races. Grease will only dampen the noise for sometime its no cure for wear out.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:55   #837
BHPian

+1 to what Rennjit said. Bearing trouble on a brand new bike !

@ Everyone : I am facing a weird problem now. Ants !!, the tiny red types : They are in the speedometer consol, switches and in the fuse compartment. Might have got into the bike when parked. Hope they don't gnaw into any wires. Any idea to get rid of them?
Regards Adrian
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:23   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
+1 to what Rennjit said. Bearing trouble on a brand new bike !

@ Everyone : I am facing a weird problem now. Ants !!, the tiny red types : They are in the speedometer consol, switches and in the fuse compartment. Might have got into the bike when parked. Hope they don't gnaw into any wires. Any idea to get rid of them?
Regards Adrian
That's sad, I have gone through this when my bull used to be parked under a Hibiscus tree/big shrub.

Use those small spray bottles or just sprinkle some lemon juice around the area and they will disappear. Citrus is a very strong ant deterrent, hence Citrus oil is a great option too but will make the surface greasy.

One more great & less hectic option is Vinegar. Ants simply hate the strong scent of it and leave the area. Also, it will kill the track scent left behind to deter them from returning in future.

Spray/Sprinkle it around the wiring hose, from beneath in the headlight casquette area, under the tank & seat area and yes, dont forget the battery unit and beneath the mud guard.

So practically spray it almost everywhere using a bottle like shown below. A new one will cost around 15-20 bucks or simply re-cycle an old - Harpic Bottle .
Attached Images

mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 12:21   #839
BHPian

@mantrig : Thanks friend, I have a doubt though..the vinegar and citrus juice are acids. Won't they accelarate the rusting process?
Regards Adrian
Old 4th August 2011, 14:22   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@mantrig : Thanks friend, I have a doubt though..the vinegar and citrus juice are acids. Won't they accelarate the rusting process?
Regards Adrian
No Adrian, they would not. Just ensure you dilute the liquids a bit, by using 25% water.

Also, Spraying it and letting it rest overnight before you wash your bike next morning or simply riding out in the rains will wash of those acids easily as they are non greasy (unless you use citrus oil, which will need a shampoo/diesel wash).

Don't be skeptical on this part as I have tried and tested it. Also, if rains were not around - I would have suggested sprinkling some boric powder (carrom powder) and then simply dusting it off.

Remember, the crucial part is killing the scent tracks. If it was all about getting the ants off the bike, leaving bike in scorching sunlight for an hour or two would do the trick. However, the ants would return whenever you park in shade under a tree if the scent tracks are not removed.

Arghhhh!!! I have started to sound like a Biologist now.

Last edited by mantrig : 4th August 2011 at 14:24.
mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote