Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th October 2013, 10:33   #31
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Honda Unicorn Help

Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Hi dhaval_mehta, Cardeep, As indicated in my email just now, the vehicle service was done in Silicon Honda, Mysore road (Honda authorized service center) just three weeks ago. But I am not happy with their quality of service. I took delivery of the vehicle and was riding to office. After about 10 kms from service station, the chain guard suddenly went loose and was caught between wheel and chain. Luckily, I was crawling in Bangalore traffic due to which it did not lead to a major accident. It looks like the technician did not tighten the screw of the chain guard properly which has led to the issue.

Now based on your inputs, I am forced to think that they might not have changed engine oil. I checked the level of oil and it looks ok. But maybe they did not drain the old oil instead just topped it up. I will go to shell and replace the oil with 20W40 grade from Shell. Thanks for your inputs. It looks like even a company like Honda takes Indians for granted.
Looks like a cases of bad workmanship, which generally plagues the 2-wheeler service centres across India. Moreover, I am sure they haven't used the correct grade engine oil. Basically the requirements of bigger engine are better engine oil & more than just regular checks, as the bigger vehicles are exposed to harsher driving conditions overall as compared to smaller displacement bikes... you can't just feed the same food to a horse & a donkey.

I feel these A.S.S buy bulk engine oil generally of single (lower) grade for cheap bucks & top it up (& not replace) it in all bikes. And on the top of it they charge you full for engine oil change. IMO they should replace the engine oil everytime the bike is serviced, & if they don't do the same, you should get it done from outside.

If you follow this simple procedure your bike will last longer .
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote