Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th January 2010, 09:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECL350 View Post
.. found this cool looking bull and took these photos, very neat spring seat.
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1071
Size:  7.5 KB
Its RE add-on split seat, said a retrofit only for Machismo hence that crude fabricated mount of rider seat.

Last edited by Rennjit : 5th January 2010 at 09:52. Reason: pic
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 13:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
You want a single seat, its got to be Shivaji Nagar.
[..]
If you want, you can say Arun your friend sent you there, and he bought a single seat for 500 bucks last week. It would surely save you the bargaining.
Neat! Thanks for the info. Shivaji nagar's quite close to my house, I am going there today for the seats. The seat that I am looking for is the one that you have.

The standard one is okay for me since I am 6"0, but a lower profile seat is always more than welcome
smenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 03:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
use a spacer support (or bolt) inside the spring fastened at top & bottom. This makes a rigid mount seat but looks spring mount. Since spring ain't functional cut down length, can support using base plate matching spring outer dia.
By making a bore-pin slider in place of spacer said above it is possible to have functional spring with no side sway but limit spring up-down travel may be 1" or so. Teflon or delrin or pvc should do for slider. To simplify its like rear suspension w/o damper.
Damn it! Why didn't I think of that?! Those are two good ideas. With rigid mounts, I could've got the looks I wanted without the uncertain feeling one gets when riding on springs.
As for the second idea, how about a spring seat with dampers? That would be something, eh?
Darth Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 03:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
I must admit that I do feel a bit uncomfortable in stop and go traffic but not too much to stop loving it for long rides, it is really good.
I think this problem can be greatly reduced by decreasing the height, mine is a bit too high.

Also if you feel too disconnected, try reducing the spring height or putting firmer springs...
I thought so. Good thing I consulted my brother before buying the seat. He was the one who suggested that I may face such a problem with that seat. I looked at a couple of other spring seats but ultimately installed a light tan solo seat without springs because of the reason I mentioned earlier. This seat is too low for me. I'm of average height but have long legs and therefore prefer a taller seat.
No mods for now. Will try to post a pic whenever I access the net not from the office.
Old 6th January 2010, 04:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
Mostly agree it is for the looks, I have seen a green CI500 and a LB500 with these light tan seats that dont have springs and bikes do look good. But these looked rather thin without much cushioning, not sure if they are more comfortable compared to a regular seat. On the older bikes, the suspensions are fairly stiff and my friends Harley-inspired bullet with a lambretta seat offered fantastic comfort. The best part about these seats is that they can be adjusted for load based on the rider's weight and needs. Tighten the spring and the seat will come into play only when the going gets really rough. Want a more cushy ride, loosen as necessary. My friend did not have a corner carver in mind when he modded the bike, raised handle bars et al. This kind of seat works well with an upright riding posture.
I'll post a pic of the seat when I'll get to access the net not from the office. The light-medium tan seat I have has more than an inch of foam which is soft enough. It's comfortable except for the low height. I will admit, though, that the low seat does inspire more confidence while leaning hard into corners.
The Lamby seat setup sounds interesting. Even my bike was running with its stock rear shocks until a year ago when I changed over to new Gabriel shocks that come (or came) on the new (not anymore) Standard. The old model shocks were definitely stiffer but looked better.
Old 20th February 2011, 00:17   #21
BHPian

Default Re: RE single seat spring issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
You want a single seat, its got to be Shivaji Nagar.

There is this guy called Rao who has been making BULLET seats for generations. He's the guy who can make you anything. His shop is full of BULLET seats, and you can see a few BULLETS stripped off their seats getting a make-over, anytime you are near his shop.

If interested, go to Our Lady's Basilica in Shivaji Nagar, Mother Mary Church, then ask for the 'gujali'. Its like the spare parts flea market. When in the gujali, ask any shop keeper for BULLET Nawab, they will guide you on into different gullies, and then, lo and behold you arrive
I recently fitted std OE(full,non-spring)seat. Now I wanted to get rid of its stiffness, my back is paining on this seat.

Thinking of getting it topped with additional layer of soft foam. Where can this be done neatly in Bangalore.
What are other best alternatives to get a comfy seat.. Thanks

Last edited by Twiny : 20th February 2011 at 00:19.
Twiny is online now   Reply With Quote