Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th March 2011, 03:41   #1516
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Hi,
Classic 500 alloted for me in Southern Motors , Chennai. Need simple guidance, Should I go ahead and buy ?
Dr.Jones
Drjones:- I was in a similar dilemma not too long ago,but I must say to ride this beauty is a class of its own,understanding how it needs to be tamed is just WOW,I must say the long rides that i do on my C500 is much comfortable than my Lancer ...nothing beats the acceleration

There is something in RE bikes unlike others that you build a relationship with,and a forum like this and like minded people gives the boost to it,we feel that we need to understand out bull's from tip to toe.. well im just in my infant stages getting to know my C5,but then again ..the bike creates an auro around that makes you want to know it better.

You will definitely have to Test ride one to know it ....All said, the ball is in your court and you need to call the shots ..Cheers
epvineesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 11:35   #1517
Senior - BHPian

@Hemant- They might have tried everything and but not replaced the earlier swing arm bushes with the new one as the older version had issues. I advice to change the older bushes with the nylon bushes.

@epvineesh- Wobbling at 85 must be due to rear misalignment of the tyre. Get that checked. I was hoping someone would say positive about 19 front but I guess we will have to wait and see.

@Dr.Jones- Lads have said it all, do I need to say anything else!
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 11:43   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Hey! Front 19" is good. Helps you go over broken roads a tad bit easier. Although, I don't understand how it would improve the handling.

You know what my conclusion is? If you have to buy a Bullet, buy a C5. I regret not being patient.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 20:55   #1519
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys,
Made my decision, going for it . I know its gonna be fun. I got a Jeep, so , I know something about how it works. Can I fit a chromed machismo tank, both mudguards in a CL 500? Iam a sucker for chrome, not too bright but I feel the black CL 500 I have booked would look better with these chromed parts. I like the raised lettering in the electra too, any advice ? Thanks.
Dr.Jones
drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 23:19   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Chromed Tank onto C5 - No
Rear Mudguard - Yes but then your bike will no longer look like a c5 but a mixed breed RE, you would need the rear stays and you will not be able to fit the rear seat.
Front Mudguard- No

With how you want your bike to look, I think you are buying the wrong bike. You should have waited for the chrome or Electra 500. Beauty of the C5 is the way it looks.
Old 26th March 2011, 06:14   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hey! Front 19" is good. Helps you go over broken roads a tad bit easier. Although, I don't understand how it would improve the handling.

You know what my conclusion is? If you have to buy a Bullet, buy a C5. I regret not being patient.
I agree going over speed breakers and pot holes is a like a piece of cake,the 19" really makes a difference,it takes it head on in a very smooth manner that you wont feel a thing.

About the handling part not to sure,coz i still haven't put my thinking cap on it.
epvineesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 08:26   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
Drjones: At the end of the day, what matters is that if you take out any present day RE bike on 600 kms ride, it will do it reliably.
Drjones 600+kms a day is without a doubt. Did it 3 times till now very comfortably. It also gives a very decent mileage on the highway around 35-36 kmpl. Not too bad for a 500cc and I am talking about consistent 100-110spees. above 115 the wobbling is there. The engine does not heat up as much as it does in idle city traffic.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 10:14   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Chromed Tank onto C5 - No
Rear Mudguard - Yes but then your bike will no longer look like a c5 but a mixed breed RE, you would need the rear stays and you will not be able to fit the rear seat.
Front Mudguard- No

With how you want your bike to look, I think you are buying the wrong bike. You should have waited for the chrome or Electra 500. Beauty of the C5 is the way it looks.
Hi Randhawa,
When is the chrome expected? Is it this one ?http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...sic-500-a.html (Help required: Electra or TBTS or Classic 350 or classic 500)

Dr.Jones
Old 26th March 2011, 10:18   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the one showcased in the Expo and captured in the video.

RE has been delaying the launch for a while now. Randhawa might be able to comment on the release date.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 12:14   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Yes, the one showcased in the Expo and captured in the video.

RE has been delaying the launch for a while now. Randhawa might be able to comment on the release date.
Randhawa,
CL 500 chrome seems to be the one for me, when bro.. When ?
Dr.Jones
Old 26th March 2011, 13:04   #1526
BHPian

I had asked my dealer about the Chrome version. They are not sure of it coming out of the factory for Indian roads. Cant believe these dumb guys though. The desert variant will be out by the year-end though.
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 01:18   #1527
BHPian

Picked up my CL500 today evening around 6pm from my dealer Choice Motors, Trichur. The sales person gave me the keys, bill, owners manual, Insurance papers etc. RC will take its time though. The mech explained the necessary details. Most of them well known to me by now.. thanks to Randhawa and people. Rode the bike for around 20-22 kms today in the city itself. My initial impressions..

Cons to start with..

1. Poor paint quality. I can see small bubbly surfaces around the ignition key area and all. Too bad.

2. There is no center stand "strengthening" plate weld job seen on my bike though. May be RE have switched tactics.

3. The Horn is too weak when the headlight is switched on. I had read this problem somewhere earlier.

4. The vibrations creep to the handlebar too early indeed. Like in the 50-60kmph. The AVL TB i was using feels better to me.

5. Rider seat is not comfy at all.

6. The utility box is a pain to open-up. So, i have removed the Tool-kit to provide space for my documents. Cops are a bigger danger than break-downs in my town.

Pros

1. Enough power . Overtakes are easier now.

2. Riding position is good. Very much 'Electra'ish though.

3. Brakes are satisfactory.

4. Above all, Pride Of Ownership. She's a head-turner where ever she goes

I'll post the pics tomorrow.

Last edited by aruncheloor : 27th March 2011 at 01:19.
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 01:57   #1528
Senior - BHPian

@Dr- I haven't inquired about the new ones lately, will let you know if I get any update.

@Arun- Congrats

1. First generation C5 were better in some ways and one is the paint quality. If you observe the paint shade on your bike then you will see the chassis and front mudguard stays in lighter shade then the rest of the bike. On older C5 in C green we have the complete bike in same shade.

2. I will be highly surprised if the strengthening plates for the C stand are not there. Do post a picture if you can.

3. RE has provided you with twin horn wiring loom. Use it wisely
Name:  IMG_0019.JPG
Views: 2858
Size:  59.6 KB

4. Don't worry about vibrations, more you speed- more it will get smoother. That's the way they have balanced the new crank of C5. RE has balanced the crank for higher speed instead for lower speed. You will feel the thump only up to 70 and then things will go way smoother.

5. I guess you are not a heavy weight lifter, gain some meat to make the seat more comfy.

6. You should not be needing the tool box much as RE has provided a plate for the tools to be placed into the electric box on the left side. You should be able to tuck the tool kit very neatly into the electric box.
Name:  IMG_0016.JPG
Views: 3525
Size:  42.9 KB Name:  IMG_0017.JPG
Views: 3009
Size:  52.5 KB
Old 27th March 2011, 10:56   #1529
BHPian

Randhawa: Whatever happened to your second detailed write-up ? I guess it was a long term ownership review you were working one.........did you make any headways ?

My bike seems to be acting very erratic. At most times, in traffic if I control its speed by rolling the throttle off and back on, the bike always picks up speed with a single hesitation (these are not a series of judders, but a single momentarily hesitation). These are speeds which do not require a gear shift. And it does not matter how smoothly I feed her the throttle !!

And at times it is absolutely perfect, especially when I ride it first thing in the morning. Besides this the problem of erratic gear shifting (sometime way smooth and other times notchy) still plagues it.....Should I change the complete clutch basket, or is it something to do with the fuel injection.

By the way on the highways, the acceleration is clean and faultless, its only in traffic that it behaves this way.

Last edited by bradhey : 27th March 2011 at 11:04.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 11:06   #1530
BHPian

The modified tool kit space is way too convenient than existing oval ones. Though the best part is you seldom need those tools...
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote