Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th June 2011, 13:09   #1711
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

some more feedback after the new MAP:

Did not really feel too much of difference, but felt it to be a bit smoother.
Not a single jerking yet. Popping sound on de-acceleration is present. Pickup seems to be as before only. (in my last post, when i mentioned a marginally drop in pickup, i forgot to add that there was a pillion with me on the bike)
Without the pillion, the pickup felt similar to, as before.

Today morning, bike started without much trouble. The new map may have helped there, not sure.

Before the new map, i was facing much increase in the jerks and hiccups when running on my goldie. So i has switched back to the upswept, where the jerks where present but not as much as when on goldie.

SO today morning, i installed the goldie back on the bike, and did a few kms of city riding. Still did not feel any jerks. But i guess its too early to say anything.

On the whole, the feel after the new MAP seems to be on positive side. Will be able to comment more, after some more kms on the odo.

for further info on the new map, get in touch with Mr sunderRajan - the service manager at brand store service centre at jaynagar.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 20:51   #1712
BHPian

@ Nasir,

by any chance did you ask the Chenai folks about the new launch of the Classic Chrome in India?
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 12:47   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
@ Nasir,

by any chance did you ask the Chenai folks about the new launch of the Classic Chrome in India?
Nopes :(

I did ask them about any news on a bigger TWIN RE (600-800cc), and they said there is no work started on any such project. They did mention that if at all RE does intend to launch bigger vehicle, it will take minimum of 5 years from concept to manufacturing.

They also said that thunderbird 500 EFI is under progress and they would launch it by this year.

It seems like right now RE is using most of its resources to try and bridge the gap between the demand supply, and not concentrating much on other models.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 17:17   #1714
BHPian

After going through this thread and the one in BCM touring at length, I've decided to go ahead and book the Classic 500.

From what i understand-
- The latest changes in the swingarm bushes and the change to 19 inch front rims and 120 section rears have cured (hopefully) the instability issues.
- i will not be getting the re-mapped ECU 500 and if i encounter issues with the ECU, i can buy Irridium plus and it will work. Eventually RE will Re-map the ECU in every Classic 500.

My questions are-
- My dealer tells me that there is a huge stock of unsold Classic 500s with RE due to the problems of ECU and plug. If i book the 350, it'll take 4-6 months, but if i go for the Classic 500, he could get it for me "within a few weeks" but it'll be of the old stock.. Should i go ahead with the booking or should i insist on a recently made bike? How do i check the Manufacture date on the chasis/Engine number?

- Do ALL the Classic 500 in the hilly region/ cold places face issues. Are they really that big a deal or by just changing spark plugs occasionally and keeping a few in spare, i could have an enjoyable ownership experience? Which plugs? Some say NGK Irridium plugs (which numbers?) some swear by Bosch Platinum WR8DP and UR6DC/ UR3CI30... I'm confused..

- Any other issues that i should be concerned about?

Please Help.

Thanks,
Puffy.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 12:38   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Good news for Classic Owners on center stand issue.

Now what was wrong initially- The bracket of center stand which is welded on to chassis was not strong enough to tolerate the weight of the bike+ rider when on stand. It was twisting a bit and creating a tilt down words resulting in center stand moving forward and not going back to its desired height.Attachment 284139

I am quite happy to say that RE has acted very swiftly and done the right thing to make some changes to the stand bracket.I didn't realize the changes which they have already done it on TBTS and Classic till today.

What has been modified. If you look at the first picture, you will see the empty short space marked with red boxes. It was a week point for the stand holding bracket. The pressure points were the welding joints of the stand bracket which hardly had any support.

To counter the weak point, RE has added two small pieces of metal to provide it more support and strengthened the center stand bracket. As shown in 2 picture with red boxes. You can compare booth the pictures and see yourself the changes.Attachment 284140

Who has been effected If your center stand frames look like the first picture then you are effected but not necessarily. IF your rear tyre is not touching the ground or you do not have any difficulty in taking your bike off the stand then don't bother. You will be just fine if you take care that no soul sits on your bebe while she is resting on center stand.

Is there any help for effected one?-Yes. RE has redesigned or should I say made a small adjustment on the center stand to help our panicking souls. I am again happy that what they had done is exactly I was going to do to my stand as I did not wanted any modification on the chassis.Attachment 284142

If you look at the third picture, you will see a pin on the stand. If you raise that pin around 3-4mm upwards then your bike's posture will be as good as new, Kapish.
coming back to this old post.
Randhwa, how did you fixed it. Today my center stand broke (the round disk, where we put pressure) because of the same issue. It was touching the ground all the time, since the day I bought my bike. Today while taking the bike out of center stand I noticed that it's been broken at the welding joint.
Now I need to fix it. I was thinking to fix the entire problem of center stand. No one else other than me can take the bike out of stand. So any help to fix it will be much appreciated.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 14:38   #1716
BHPian

Default Classic Chrome for India

Friends: some glitter at the end of the tunnel.

Just came to know that they had plan to launch it this month but due to some challenge they are pushing it to Aug 2011. They should be able to have a confirmed date by end of July for the launch which will open up the booking and then subsequent delivery.

Some ray of hope for me and similar souls here.
Old 30th June 2011, 12:01   #1717
BHPian

Default Classic Chrome pictures

I had booked a RE Electra this week in Chennai, the waiting period is 6 months. I liked the Classic but the pillion seat was not comfortable and hence coulnd't get my wife to agree!
However, i just saw the pictures of the Classic Chrome - Wow!
If you haven't seen the pics, here they are:

(I really really like the maroon stries that run along the bike!)
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-2011royalenfielduce500classicchrome1.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-2011royalenfielduce500classicchrome2.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-2011royalenfielduce500classicchrome3.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-2011royalenfielduce500classicchrome4.jpg  

mTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:56   #1718
BANNED

Looks absolutley smashing, is there a plan to release this here? Total chrome Vintage! Is this chrome plating or SS, because otherwise when rust starts then it will look just the opposite.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 14:21   #1719
BHPian

Default Classic chrome

They already have this as an export model for UK and US. I am hoping they are of the better quality and chance of rusting is minimal. But then it also depends on the maintenance and usage of the bike also.

BTW, I have also booked a C5 this Tuesday (27th June 2011) and the countdown has started for 10 month waiting period.
Old 30th June 2011, 14:51   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Classic chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
BTW, I have also booked a C5 this Tuesday (27th June 2011) and the countdown has started for 10 month waiting period.
Interestingly, this model is not listed on RE India website. What would be the difference in ex-showroom price of the 'regular' classic-500 and the chrome one (read 'C5')?

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th June 2011 at 14:56.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 17:21   #1721
BHPian

The earlier Machismos used have this sort of paint scheme. Its nothing new. And oh.. the classic rubber tank pads have been removed too.
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 17:24   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
The earlier Machismos used have this sort of paint scheme. Its nothing new. And oh.. the classic rubber tank pads have been removed too.
Yes, but the stripes all along the bike is new. I think Machismos had a similar tank. Hope they bring this one to India soon.
Old 30th June 2011, 23:22   #1723
BHPian

Default Booking C5

As of now the booking was done against the current market price (1.53 Lwith Rs. 1000 and had mentioned the color choice as Maroon (Chrome) as they don't have the Chrome for booking. But I was confirmed that when it is launched and open for booking, mine will be clanged to Classic Chrome. This will give me a head start on the queue for Classic Chrome.
Old 30th June 2011, 23:32   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
Thats what i was thinking,i have a Machismo 350 with similar paint scheme,since 1999
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 00:04   #1725
BHPian

Default Re: Booking C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
As of now the booking was done against the current market price (1.53 Lwith Rs. 1000 and had mentioned the color choice as Maroon (Chrome) as they don't have the Chrome for booking. But I was confirmed that when it is launched and open for booking, mine will be clanged to Classic Chrome. This will give me a head start on the queue for Classic Chrome.
Interesting! is there an approximate date by which the Classic Crome will be released? If its within 6 months, then i might have my order changed from Electra to C Crome.
Wil the Crome be of hte same price as the other C5s?