Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th July 2011, 17:03   #1741
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@Randhawa and other experts : I have currently clocked 2500 kms in my standard uce 350. Till now I have religiously kept my bike below 50kms/hr. Once while riding in synch with my friend's FZ, I found out that while I was clocking 50 kph, my friends FZ was clocking 56 kph(digital). During the first 500 kms, i had touched speeds of 50 kph and this means that i might have exceeded 50 kph. Would this have affected the engine ? Another thing is that my bike moves from 0 to 10 kph in I gear, 10-20 in II, 20-30 in III, 30-40 in IV and above 40 in V. When the vehicle reaches 40 in III gear the engine RPM will be on the high rate. Now what is the speed range in each of the gears (I mean without riding hard) and should I stretch the speed to 50 in III gear? I tried it once recently and the bike was a bit reluctant and I had let go of the attempt.
Regards Adrian
Bhai, don't be so concerned with such trivial matters. These are tough engines. I started riding mine hard just after its initial 2500 kilometers and it runs like a gem. A problem can crop up on a new engine as well as a very thoughtfully run engine as well, and at times the most brutaly ridden bikes are able to run without any problems at all.........its a mechanical thing.....so enjoy it......!!
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 17:59   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@Randhawa and other experts : I have currently clocked 2500 kms in my standard uce 350. Till now I have religiously kept my bike below 50kms/hr. Once while riding in synch with my friend's FZ, I found out that while I was clocking 50 kph, my friends FZ was clocking 56 kph(digital). During the first 500 kms, i had touched speeds of 50 kph and this means that i might have exceeded 50 kph. Would this have affected the engine ? Another thing is that my bike moves from 0 to 10 kph in I gear, 10-20 in II, 20-30 in III, 30-40 in IV and above 40 in V. When the vehicle reaches 40 in III gear the engine RPM will be on the high rate. Now what is the speed range in each of the gears (I mean without riding hard) and should I stretch the speed to 50 in III gear? I tried it once recently and the bike was a bit reluctant and I had let go of the attempt.
Regards Adrian
Having done the gentle run in to 2500 KM , your bike should be fine. Further, as you try to go faster, do it in stages , not holding very high speeds for long periods of time. Get your bike oil and filter changed even if it is not the service interval if you are trying to push past the speed limits. Varying speed, throttle openings and gear shifts will help run in the bike better than constant throttle fixed speed runs in 4th and 5th gear. Dont try and break 100KpH till your bike has done another 1000 KM at 70-80 Kmph limits. Get the wheel bearings greased and brake shoes checked as also the chain tension.

Regards
Naren
hexanerax is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 19:15   #1743
BHPian

@Bradhey and Naren : Thanks for the advise brothers. One more thing I would like to know : the wire and the boot that leads to the secondary spark plug - does that dismantle into 2 pieces ? When I tried to take the boot off the plug the wire came off from the bottom of the boot. I cleaned and replaced the plug, the boot and the wires and everything is running fine...but I just wanted to make sure if I had not fouled the wires to the secondary plug. Also, what are the indications of a conked off secondary plug??

OT: Wrote to the RE for a workshop manual / Gave a written application to the service station : They all answers in unison : "Classified ! Can't be released to public"
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 13th July 2011 at 19:26.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 10:30   #1744
BHPian

Hey every one: Sorted out the spark plug boot issue as in pre post with a friend of mine. Posting this for any one who will accidentally pull out the spark plug wire from the boot and have a sleepless night there after! No need to panic. It actually dismantles into two parts. The boot is actually screwed on to the ignition wire. (You can see a screw like appendage jutting out of the top end of the spark plug boot.) Just remove a small portion of the wire with a wire cutter and rescrew the spark plug boot into the wire and you are good to go again. (I am talking about the secondary spark plug here ! No idea about the main one with the heat sink!)
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 15th July 2011 at 10:36.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 08:12   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Re: CL 500 rust protection

Hey guys. Can anyone recommend me to a really good place to do my rust protection from in mumbai? If possible I'd like to avoid very far suburbs for the job.

Have just procrastinated over this for too long and my CL 500 is barely getting any running either given the monsoons.

Any particular tips or do's / dont's in this regard as well?

Thanks
Axe77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 19:22   #1746
BHPian

Fellows, at last my C5 arrives tomorrow at the dealership at Siliguri. I'll be going down on Tuesday or Wednesday to collect it. I'd booked the Green (Torquise Blue) color and i got a choice between it and a Black 500. Am beside myself with excitement but a little apprehensive, all the same..

Can u guys give me pointers on pre-delivery inspection and things i should be careful bout, esp. regarding the Classic 500?

I know it's all in this thread but i don't seem to have the time and energy to go thru the 1,000+ posts yet again....

Thanks,
Puffy..

Last edited by Puffdamgcdragon : 24th July 2011 at 19:23.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 08:25   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Fellows, at last my C5 arrives tomorrow at the dealership at Siliguri. I'll be going down on Tuesday or Wednesday to collect it. I'd booked the Green (Torquise Blue) color and i got a choice between it and a Black 500. Am beside myself with excitement but a little apprehensive, all the same..

Can u guys give me pointers on pre-delivery inspection and things i should be careful bout, esp. regarding the Classic 500?

I know it's all in this thread but i don't seem to have the time and energy to go thru the 1,000+ posts yet again....

Thanks,
Puffy..
There are some pdi tips posted by Nasir at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-upgrades.html (PDI tips for the ENFIELD Classic 500, + suggestions on tire upgrades). Hope this helps.
rajanvash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 15:50   #1748
BHPian

Thank You Rajan. It was helpful.
Old 27th July 2011, 21:34   #1749
BHPian

Got my Green C5 today. initial impressions are very good. I've just ridden about 20 odd kms today. Am in a hotel room at Siliguri. Tomorrow I got the 120 kms (or 180 kms detour halfway to Darjeeling- depending on landslides and roadblocks) ride back home to Sikkim to get properly acquainted.

It's gonna rain and I'm gonna be soaked to the bone..... am looking forward to it/ dreading it...
Not too sure of the spring seat.

I'll give a proper ride report once i get home.

My deepest gratitude to Randhawa and all the others who have been so helpful all the time.

Thanks guys,
U rock.

Puffy.
Old 5th August 2011, 17:47   #1750
Senior - BHPian

The following news is definitely music to C5 owners & buyers (including me as a prospective buyer):

Dynojet confirms high performance remapped ECU for the Royal Enfield UCE500 EFI engine: ICB Exclusive! | IndianCarsBikes.in

The remapped ECU not only results in better performance & power numbers but could also help in eradication of the problems related with the bikes running rich & jerky performance. Hope it makes to India soon.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 07:54   #1751
BHPian

Do anyone have any information on new colors launch for C5 by RE?
rajanvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:53   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanvash View Post
Do anyone have any information on new colors launch for C5 by RE?
I had been to brand store last saturday. Test rode CL500. i had small chat with manager of the brand store. He said that with current waiting period they cant afford to release another model. even TBTS 500 has been delayed. they want to clear the backlogs first before launching any new model or color. While speaking to him he was very very confident that no new models coming till late 2012.

OT: i can see the brand store employees are more friendly. offer test ride immediately wihtout any issues. explain the features of the bike and arrogance has taken back seat. im comparing this with previous experience i had when i had booked TBTS. this is a welcome change.. I'm booking CL500 next week. waiting period 10 months.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 04:27   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Hello to you all. I am a new member living in Phoenix, Arizona in the United States of America. Allow me to say that I am pleased to be a part of your forum.

Although I am saddened to read of the length of time the people in India must wait for delivery of a new Royal Enfield, being new to the BHP forum I felt that I might mention my 2011 G5 Royal Enfield Deluxe (California compliant, EFI, UCE) motorcycle.

I have had it for slightly over 2 months and it now has 1200 miles (1935 km) on it.
I followed the recommended break in speeds fairly closely but due to the need to keep up with traffic occasionally I did exceed the speeds recommended by about 8 to 10 km/hr.

After the bike had passed 1000 miles (1613 km) I have had it up to slightly over 75 mph (121 km/hr) and it's running very nicely.

So far the only problems I've had with it are 2 burned out light bulbs which speaks highly of its quality (if not of its vibration at higher speeds).

Being a retired Design Engineer, if I can suggest any fixes that I feel you new owners of the new Royal Enfields it would be to remove the side covers and inspect your wiring.
In several places I found that the wiring had little protection beyond some plastic electrical tape and some of these wires are resting against sharp metal edges of the covers and brackets. To head off future problems with these I purchased some vinyl (or rubber) tubing which I cut into short lengths and slit it lengthwise so that I could install it over the suspect wires.
The wires are now protected by their vinyl sheaths and I foresee no future problems.

Happy riding to you.

Last edited by Amartya : 12th August 2011 at 05:20. Reason: Sending you a PM about the attachment problem. Removed your note for now.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 11:34   #1754
BHPian

@ArizonaJIM Thanks for sharing your views and the beautiful picture of your motorcycle. I particularly liked the rear carrier. Can you share where did you buy it from. Keep active on the forum.....and welcome onboard !!
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 11:53   #1755
Senior - BHPian

@ bradhey
Thank you for the compliments and interest.

I purchased the rear carrier and luggage support from the Royal Enfield importer in the U.S.
Although it can't be seen it extends down behind the luggage (panners?) and was very reasonably priced.
Hoping this link works you will be able to see it here:

NField Gear: Chrome Luggage Brackets (Electra/G5) - Luggage - Parts & Accessories

It was made in India and although I haven't searched for it I would think it would be available from someone there.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote