Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th August 2011, 23:41   #1771
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

After nearly an year long wait (couple of months due to me) I got my C5 on the 18th this month.. The brand new bike has its share of niggles which hopefully should get sorted in the first service.
I have a question, is there a way to adjust the headlight beam, it seems to be focusing a little on the higher side..
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 05:22   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Ola Jim,

Que Pasa? Ok, thats all the Spanish I know. I lived in the states for a few years, and I never saw an Enfield, though I was always looked out for one. Has any Indian ever spotted you and walked up to compliment you on your fine bike:-) ?
John: Thanks for the Spanish. After living here for over 60 years I still don't speak the language.

To answer your question, no. I have yet to have an Indian ask me about my RE. Royal Enfields are fairly rare here. I only know of 4 others although my dealer told me he has sold over 20 during the last several years.

I did send pictures of my RE to a retired Indian friend named Rajan who I had worked with for many years but I have yet to hear back from him. That reminds me that I should try sending it again.

cogentr: As I understand it the Indian models headlights have no adjustment screws for their headlight.

You may be able to improve it though with a little work.
As you know, it is held in place by three screws passing thru the chrome ring.
If the ring was carefully removed, noting the location of the top screw I think that this top hole could be carefully filed with a small round file to elongate it towards the rear edge.

When re-installing the headlight and ring if the upper area was not pushed all of the way back but the elongated hole allowed the top screw to still be installed it would result in the light pointing slightly downward which would lower the aim point of the light.
It may be that doing this elongation would not be enough to fix the problem.

If that is the case, you may have to live with it or, use more extreme measures.

If the headlight is similar to the aftermarket headlights available to me it will be retained in the chrome headlight ring by a number of wire clips.
These clips are springs and they are quite strong.

By removing these clips, the headlight will be loose and easily removed.

Before removing these clips notice how they are installed. They must be re-installed the same way in order for them to work properly. I advise that several pictures of them be taken with a digital camera before trying to remove them.

If a thin piece of rubber perhaps 3-4mm thick and perhaps 30-35mm long was located at the bottom (6 o'clock) position so that the light rested against it at the bottom and against the chrome ring at the top it would effectively point the headlight downward when it was placed back on the motorcycle. Of course this would involve reinstalling the wire clips.
I should add that two short pieces of rubber 1 1/2-2mm thick will need to be placed at the 3:00 o'clock and 9:00 o'clock position to keep the headlight pointed straight ahead. With the rubber installed the headlight should be resting on the metal rim at the 12:00 o'clock position and the other rubber pads at the 3,6 and 9 o'clock position.

Reinstalling the metal clips will be the most difficult part of the modification as these wire clips are STRONG.
As you probably found when you tried to remove them you cannot do it with finger pressure alone.
The use of a good set of pliers is required to get the power needed to bend the clips just to the point that they fit and will hold the light tight.
Needless to say also don't break the light.

Because the light will be tilted relative to the headlight ring a sizable gap will be present. I would suggest filling this gap with some silicone RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) rubber to prevent rain water from getting past the headlight and into the rats nest of wiring behind it.

If you don't feel that you can do this you might ask some of the local mechanics if they feel they could do the job.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 10:24   #1773
BHPian

Default Re: Tire upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator_47 View Post
Need something light which does provide equally good grip on wet and dry
By the way, did you check the direction of rotation indicated on the side wall? By any chance, has the mechanic installed the tire in the wrong intended direction? 'Rear' & an arrow mark will be indicated on the side wall and when used as front tire, the direction of rotation has to be opposite of this direction.

If its michelin we are looking for, we have pilot sporty and sirac street as the only options. They claim sirac street is an all new model and entirely different from the earlier sirac. Its an India specific model according to them. I wish we had M45. Both pilot sporty and sirac street are available in 2.75 & 3.00 sizes. Pilot sporty should be good enough. But its not available in Hyderabad. You can try at your place though.

And secondly, I think that the added grip would have made your bike sluggish. I remember clearly when I put the M45 as my front tire. First 50km was ok, after that the bike started behaving weirdly. It was the added grip that made the bike behave differently. Later on I got used to it I guess. Love the grip and assurance it gives me.

Hope you'll get this sorted out today.

Last edited by sharanvenu : 27th August 2011 at 10:45. Reason: Gathered more details
sharanvenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 01:48   #1774
BHPian

Thanks a ton Sharanvenu...
Eventually,changed the front to Sirac Street 2.75/18 front wheel (most importantly) and guess what,I am a happy man

Bull is calm and powerful once again,though feel a little lag than before,could be just my thought or perhaps time to get the clutch plates changed.
Overall handling has improved like anything and I wonder how could the shop owner recommended a rear Sirac to me,anyway all well for now.

Thanks again!
terminator_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 17:24   #1775
BHPian

Default Re: headlight beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
... I have a question, is there a way to adjust the headlight beam, it seems to be focusing a little on the higher side..
Lose the headlamp 'PEAK' if you have one. Try moving the base ring forward (1-2mm)at top portion after loosening all 3 screws, this'll give some tilt down. Stiffen the rear spring by a notch. Silly but these are pretty much all those do-able without bodgery.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 22:09   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
For all those thinking of alternatives to the single uncomfortable seat on classic. Although not a heart warming site. I took this picture way back in last year of a Classic 350 with the electra seat.

Export model Electra's have this seat but their mounting is a bit different. The export model G5 uses the Classic rear seat frame to mount the dual single piece seat which is more easy to fit on a classic without much modification.
Hey Randhawa,

Firstly, my complements on nice review of 500.

I am getting delivery of 500 next week and i am thinking whethr i should go for single seat as given in the picture. The bike come with two independent seats and after reading your rveiew, i am worried these indeapendent seats may not be comfortable.

I have always driven the bike with single seat while in the Army and outside and would prefer that. Any advise from you guys on this?
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 00:47   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Hey Randhawa,

Firstly, my complements on nice review of 500.

I am getting delivery of 500 next week and i am thinking whethr i should go for single seat as given in the picture. The bike come with two independent seats and after reading your rveiew, i am worried these indeapendent seats may not be comfortable.

I have always driven the bike with single seat while in the Army and outside and would prefer that. Any advise from you guys on this?
Solo seat if you want to use the bike only for short rides. The double seat if you want to do long distances. But a friend of mine went from Pune to Ladakh on his Classic 500 with a solo seat. Moral of the story is: It all depends upon the quality of your posterior region. If it is meaty, then you solo is no problem. If it is flat then...
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 09:57   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Solo seat if you want to use the bike only for short rides. The double seat if you want to do long distances. But a friend of mine went from Pune to Ladakh on his Classic 500 with a solo seat. Moral of the story is: It all depends upon the quality of your posterior region. If it is meaty, then you solo is no problem. If it is flat then...
That was a good one.

Let me ride for some time and see how my posterior will feel and then take a call
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 09:14   #1779
BHPian

A few days ago I tried to remove the pillion seat but the tools/nuts provided with the bike are of such poor quality that two things happened:

- The tool itself stripped and started slipping
- The nut would strip itself and become bare (which is worse as removing it immediately becomes a horribly tedious task)

One of the first nuts I had to replace were the ones for the oil filter cover, thankfully the hardware store near my house had them.

Anyways, what I really wanted to know was if anyone here has bought a complete kit of tools for their C5. Is there a reputed company that makes a set specifically for the bike which will also fit in one of the boxes?

I have a set of ring spanners made by taparia but they are too large to carry on the bike itself.
adises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 09:32   #1780
BHPian

Just came to know that Enfield is launching the Classic Chrome and Desert Storm on 29th September 2011. This is a great news for all those patiently waiting for these models. Also am told they are launching them at Udaipur.

Last edited by sudipta : 11th September 2011 at 09:35.
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 10:20   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Folks have booked the CL500 couple of months back but am not sure if i would want to go for it, having own 2 bulls i know what i can expect out of RE.

So people who have owned and ridden some good kms, esp Randhawa please suggest if i need to stick on or consider other options.

for now the other option is CBR250...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 18:37   #1782
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Just came to know that Enfield is launching the Classic Chrome and Desert Storm on 29th September 2011. This is a great news for all those patiently waiting for these models. Also am told they are launching them at Udaipur.
Excellent news! Could you please provide the reference where you heard about the Chrome launch. I would need to quote the same to my dealer to modify my booking.

I have booked the bike looking forward for the Chrome or Machismo models.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 21:11   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post

Hmm.. Infact, i always wanted that Desert colour in my garage..Had to pick up the green colour then
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 21:15   #1784
BHPian

Tommie,

You can qoute this to the dealer and get your booking changed if that is what you want to do. I have heard it from the company sources and I also did the same for my booking. Originally when I booked, there wasn't any Chrome listed as model so booked a Maroon and mentioned that I will change as and when it is launched.

Also you can ask for the first batch of the vehicles which will get you a faster delivery.

I am told that my delivery will be as fast as first week October. So I am already counting days.
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 22:44   #1785
BHPian

I have been reading this thread for the past few weeks and I must say that it is fantastic.

I have been in love with the Bullet for as long as I remember and finally booked the Classic 500 from Teknik Motors, Sarjapur Road on 15th Aug. I was told at the time of booking that the expected waiting period is 8 to 9 months. Considering that I had waited for all my life, I thought the wait would not be too bad, but now the wait is killing me. I have already called the dealer half a dozen times to check if something can be done to speed things up, and the response has always been negative. For me it is the Bullet or nothing else, hence no other bike would do.

After reading about the Classic Chrome launch, I promptly called up my dealer to switch my booking and was told that the dates are not finalized. I am planning to go tomorrow to discuss this in person, but would like to know which dealer has started accepting bookings for the Classic Chrome, especially in Bangalore. I am game for taking the Classic Chrome If it can help me cut down on the wait time.

Also any help or pointers on how I can possibly reduce the wait would be much appreciated.
smoghe is offline   Reply With Quote