Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 1st October 2011, 11:28   #1861
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Janab, there is no need for debate as the new map has been done officially since June on all the new vehicles. So you will get the new map on your bull. There is nothing to tune with the EFI unit and only remap is what we needed all that long. Nothing has changed in the EFI department.

The new map is blessing in disguise but let the winter come and we shall see if it still smokes black in morning. That will be it's true test.
There is certainly one change on the new versions (read all 2012 models / Chrome and DStorm) the front fork offset has been removed, and now the fork is bolted "straight" on to the axel......! Apart from this the walk around video by Overdrive magazine suggests that the swing arm length has also been increased (not really sure of this one though).

However the change to the front fork geometry will definitely change the steering and stability of the bike.

Last edited by bradhey : 1st October 2011 at 11:29.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 12:04   #1862
BHPian

Here is more news about RE's plan to enter 750cc and higher engine segments Royal Enfield plans to make diesel variants

By the way, some sites also report that the crankshaft has been redesigned on the newer versions of C5 to reduce vibrations. The swing arm has also been redesigned apart from the front fork (from the characteristic or trade mark fork of Royal Enfield).
Old 1st October 2011, 13:52   #1863
Senior - BHPian

I think you are right about the offset in front, from the pictures it does looks straight. About the crank we know what has been done as I have the new crank. With the swingarm I will check and update today.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 14:44   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are right about the offset in front, from the pictures it does looks straight. About the crank we know what has been done as I have the new crank. With the swingarm I will check and update today.
How much was the damage for the new crank, and was it, really worthwhile..!! I hope you would be candid as always....keep us updated about the new swing arm. Cheers !!
Old 1st October 2011, 18:33   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Why, it doesn't have poly coat (matte clear) over the paint ?
Nope, just paint itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
How much was the damage for the new crank, and was it, really worthwhile..!! I hope you would be candid as always....keep us updated about the new swing arm. Cheers !!
New crank is around 9k although mine got changed under warranty. Some where in the thread I have updated every thing about the new crank and yes it made a lot of difference in vibrations. It is actually a well balanced and 50 grams heavier then the old one.

Update on technical differences between C5 and rest of the classic family.

Apart from front forks axle off set removed, there are none. Very carefully examined booth the new versions and even measured the swing arm. Found no difference in length of the swing arm. Although found the handle bar length to be shortened by around 2 inch. Quite liked it so got my bebe a new updated handle bar. But this new handle is shared on all the classic bikes.
Old 1st October 2011, 18:51   #1866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post

Can some one pl say if the front foot pegs are equally spaced from bikes center line?
Last of pre-unit's were upto 3" off.

Mine were always centered unless there was some alteration done to the side stand bracket in some batches. If the bolts to fix the pegs are centered and you still see the difference then let me know, I'll explain you why there is a difference.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:00   #1867
BHPian

Note: In order to abide by the team-bhp rules I uploaded the photo to the team-bhp servers as I forgot to do so the first time around. I request the moderators to please reject the first post.

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-wire.jpg

Does anyone know what this wire I found hanging loosely do?
I think it is my ground wire but i'm not sure. It seems to belong to a small hole (indicated in the image).

My bike has had a problem of the battery not charging/discharging especially when I ride with the headlight on. Could this wire be the reason?
adises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 19:05   #1868
BHPian

How is the new handle bar in terms of riding comfort........the old traditional one is a big pain !
Old 1st October 2011, 19:19   #1869
Senior - BHPian

My bike is getting serviced so I would be able to comment only after I get to ride it. Only difference it would make I feel is to the shoulder comfort.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:22   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Janab, there is no need for debate as the new map has been done officially since June on all the new vehicles. So you will get the new map on your bull. There is nothing to tune with the EFI unit and only remap is what we needed all that long. Nothing has changed in the EFI department.

The new map is blessing in disguise but let the winter come and we shall see if it still smokes black in morning. That will be it's true test.
Thanks a lot for the information, Randhawa.

im going ahead with the Classic 500 Black Chrome. i will also try to push the dealer for a earlier delivery.

i had earlier desided to go for the classic 350, but decided to wait for C500 to be launched, now the C5 Black Chrome made me drool.

although i would have prefered the military green, but sadly thats only for exports!
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-07102009425.jpg  

Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 19:34   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Do you want the delivery tomorrow?
Old 1st October 2011, 21:25   #1872
BHPian

Default Re: Handle bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa
... Although found the handle bar length to be shortened by around 2 inch. Quite liked it so got my bebe a new updated handle bar. ...
Cost ? & pl help with end to end measurements of both old & new.

Electra's bar (also on std) is said to be very comfy, how's this new bar compared to? i've mostly felt electra bars are a tad too high, seems this new one is just right
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 21:51   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Cost Rs 350. Electra bar does not suits my style of riding or posture so I don't like it. If you are a heavy bloke and tall then you might feel the electra bar to be more comfy. There seems to be three versions of Classic handle bars which exist. First one and then came a higher one(something in between electra and stock C5 bar), now this new one which is same as the first one but shorter on sides with same height.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 21:52   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you want the delivery tomorrow?
December 2011.
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 05:14   #1875
BHPian

@ adises

First, allow me to thank you.
I went out to see if I could find a similar wire on my U.S. G5. Although I didn't fine a wire similar to your unconnected wire I did find the screw that holds my plastic mud shield was about ready to fall off so I took the time to apply some blue thread locking fluid to the threads and re-tighten the nut.

Back to your wire: It is highly unlikely that the wire you found has anything at all to do with your battery or the ability of the alternator to keep it charged.
It is also very unlikely that it was intended to go into some small hole on the frame or swingarm. Wires with flat or bullet connectors are intended to mate with other wires with flat or bullet connectors.

It is possible that this terminal is normally tucked up under the seat and it may be a grounding wire for the tail lights or rear turn signal. If your tail light and rear turn signals are working properly then my guess is not correct.

It is also possible that it is an unused branch of the harness that serves a purpose on other models of the Royal Enfield but not on yours.

Long story short, do not connect unknown wires to other wires or features on your motorcycles frame unless you know for certain that this is the place the wire is supposed to go.
Connecting a wire to the wrong thing can cause a short circuit that could fry your wiring harness.

I suggest that for now you forget about it and the next time you have your motorcycle in the dealers service shop you ask him about it.
Either he will fix it or he will say, "Ho ho ho! A lot of people worry about that wire but it really doesn't do anything."
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote