Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 16:40   #1921
BHPian
 
bradhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Agra
Posts: 288
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

@ Randhawa

In continuation with what Invader has said, I would also like to know whether the remap on your bike has resolved the low speed jerking problem................!!
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 19:09   #1922
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
@ nasirkaka

At the top of the cylinder on the back side is a metal strut that connects the engine to the frame.
If the strut is broken or the mechanic forgot to tighten the fasteners at both ends, engine vibration will be very noticeable.

If these fasteners are tight, try loosening them. Start the engine for a moment and turn it off. Then, re-tighten the fasteners.

Hopefully your bikes vibration problem will be solved.
Good point. Shall check it first thing in the morning. Thanks
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 12:51   #1923
Senior - BHPian
 
Randhawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,112
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Nice to see the thread alive and kicking again.
And hoping it remains so.

One minor issue: There is a lot of increase in the vibrations ONLY in the right side front foot-peg of the bike. Its so bad, that at times its difficult to keep the foot on the peg, especially while accelerating. On visual examination it all looks fine and tight, so why suddenly there is so much increase in the vibration? any clue?
Just to add, Recently got the entire throttle body and injector replaced for which the bike was at service station for about 2 weeks. and this issue is cropped up after that.
If there isn't any visual damage to the frame tube where the foot peg is fixed. Then tightened up the 2 flange hex bolt going across the frame through the engine casing base(one goes from RHS into the side stand bracket and the other ones comes from LHS exiting to RHS-the one where we used to tighten the old upswept exhaust bracket). While you at it, loosen up all the engine mounting bolts. Rev couple of times and let it idle for a min then tighten up the bolts. Should reduce unwanted vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghe View Post

On my last ride, while going down the slope of my basement parking, I heard a strange sound instead of the usual thump. Almost as if the engine missed a beat, similar to the sound you get while filling air in the tyre. Any idea what it could be? Will watch out for this the next time and provide more details.
No worries, it does happen and few weird things will happen until your first service is done. Be careful for the first 350km as this is your crucial running in period. So avoid any idling for longer at the light and if possible don't ride for more then 15-20 at a stretch without switching off the engine.

If you had less fuel in the tank then it can happen on slopes, specially in the basement parking lots. In general it will happens to any bike but some people notice and some not. If you stick to OEM exhaust then you wont realise much but with a short exhaust you will hear it more. It's kind of initial stage of after-fire and happens on deceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
And yet, no pics whatsoever! Randhawa bai ji you know this thread of yours is THE place for C5 lovers, we need to see some pics soon

I am getting quite inclined to book one around diwali, circumstances permitting. It's actually a big relief knowing that you are nearby, so I know who to trouble

BTW, which showroom did you get the C5 delivered from, the Chd sec 27 one?
Just got my bike back and yet to clean it but will post some recent pics. Yup, 27 wala dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
does that mean, the new upswept is no longer free flow..?
It's been a while since new upswept is coming as a single piece only. Earlier you could get upswept+down pipe(free flow one without the cat) for 3k. Now you get only the upswept for 3K which gets fixed onto the down pipe with the catalytic converter. Actually it's not the upswept which is no longer free flow but it's not been supplied with the free flow down pipe anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post

I learned that RE has launched the new Desert Storm variant with some minor changes, changed a bit here and there especially the bike's geometry, remapped ECU, suspension, front tyre spec etc. could you tell me (after you test-ride it) if it solves most of your problems? or do the problems you faced still exist.

Post your review I wish to decide to book it or drift again!!

Cheers
All is same apart from the front fork legs and mudguard. Same spec tyres as on C5 front/rear. I wont be able to get a proper test ride of the DS as of now as officially RE has not provided dealers with a test bike. But I am trying to get one for TR. Can not promise you how soon I will be able to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
@ Randhawa

In continuation with what Invader has said, I would also like to know whether the remap on your bike has resolved the low speed jerking problem................!!
Give me a week, as I don't want to jump to any conclusions. By the way, black smoke still haunts us but will it bother us again this winter is yet to be seen. Initial info from RE is that they have reduced the duration of black smoke.



Attention -Chandigarh pre June 2011 C5 Owners

RE is doing Re-map in Chandigarh officially but they are calling out to limited ones only. If you get there un-invited then they wont refuse to do the re-map along with change of spark plug to Bosch Platinum one.

Last edited by Randhawa : 8th October 2011 at 12:53.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 23:49   #1924
BHPian
 
NST440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 186
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post


For those who like to use the kick rather then the electric starter(RE recommends to use ES in the mornings)
Now this thing is a little confusing for me and i am unable to see the logic behind using the electric starter for the first starts/ cold starts. I have heard people recommending a kick start in the mornings / cold starts as opposed to ES. Questions i have in mind:

1. What is the right way to do it generally?

2. Is it different for the CL500?

3 What do you prefer for cold starts?

Kindly guide me as i am in dilemma , i just got my bike a week ago and keen to know certain facts mate.
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 10:39   #1925
BHPian
 
bradhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Agra
Posts: 288
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Now this thing is a little confusing for me and i am unable to see the logic behind using the electric starter for the first starts/ cold starts. I have heard people recommending a kick start in the mornings / cold starts as opposed to ES. Questions i have in mind:

1. What is the right way to do it generally?

2. Is it different for the CL500?

3 What do you prefer for cold starts?

Kindly guide me as i am in dilemma , i just got my bike a week ago and keen to know certain facts mate.
Hey NST440 The correct way to use an electric starter is to first pull the clutch (ignition remains off during this process) and kick the bike. Release the clutch and pull again and press the kick fully. Do this a couple of times. It's called "fanning the clutch" which is nothing but to separate all clutch plates, so that they are not sticking, which will put extra load on the starter motor.

Now turn the ignition on, check the neutral light, see the EFI light go off, pull in the clutch lever again and push the starter button. If your bike is on low idle, you may need a bit of throttle to keep the motor going, once it starts. Let it idle for a 30 seconds before you move.

Cold start is the same procedure, but may require additional input of manual bistarter or choke. Hope this helps. And do not forget to share this with your friends, after all that is how we all learn......!!
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 11:06   #1926
Senior - BHPian
 
Randhawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,112
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

@NST- Congratulations

This thread is just for the C5 so you have come to the right place for info. If you search this thread, you will get all the info you will require in due course of your ownership. So if you can get some time then do go through it and most importantly go through your service manual. For a UCE, don't go with what you hear on the street on how to for C5. rather ask here or your RE engineer.

Your questions has been rightly answered by @Bradhey so I wont comment but if you had the pre 11 C5 then I would have added a bit info about the sprag clutch failure. But you are lucky to have this problem sorted in your bike and you would never know about it.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 11:55   #1927
BHPian
 
reswaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 122
Thanked: 220 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

@All:

I have an April 2011 C5, with close to 5000 kms on the odo. So far no issues, except the speedo backlight, which I've replaced twice, and yet it burns out almost instantly.

What I'd like to know is at times, it feels like she's running out of breath, especially on hard acceleration in the 3rd and 4th gears, around mid range rpm. Higher and lower rpm responses seem ok. I always make sure I ride hard only after a good warmup.

Does anyone have any feedback about the NGK Iridium
NGK Iridium Spark Plug : Royal Enfield Classic 500 (Set of 2..

and K&N
.K&N E-0900 Royal Enfield Air Filter - 2,990.00Rs

Thanks!
Ram
reswaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 13:44   #1928
BHPian
 
aruncheloor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Trichur, Kerala
Posts: 230
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
Is it recommended for our CL 500s?
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 14:46   #1929
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Yeah. Have used both. Infact i am currently running on K&N E-0900. i guess cylindrical type K&N placed inside the air filter box, is waste of money. Cone type k&N placed outside may be a little effective.

NGK iridium plugs are very good product by itself, but whether they suits the C5 or not depends. I used to have have issues of jerks misfires all the time, and with every kind of plug, including iridium. After the new map, they have installed bosch plaus, and jerks etc have been resolved. have run the bike about 3K kms after the new map, and all seems well.
Would like to know if anyone is using the NgK iridium along with the new mapping, and how its faring.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 14:56   #1930
BHPian
 
reswaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 122
Thanked: 220 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
plug, including iridium. After the new map, they have installed bosch plaus
Thanks @nasirkaka. Just one more q..which dealer installed the new bosch plugs? Technik motors insist that they haven't got any new Bosch Platinum plus plugs yet.
reswaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 16:28   #1931
Senior - BHPian
 
Randhawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,112
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
@All:

I have an April 2011 C5, with close to 5000 kms on the odo. So far no issues, except the speedo backlight, which I've replaced twice, and yet it burns out almost instantly.

What I'd like to know is at times, it feels like she's running out of breath, especially on hard acceleration in the 3rd and 4th gears, around mid range rpm. Higher and lower rpm responses seem ok. I always make sure I ride hard only after a good warmup.


Thanks!
Ram
You have a problem with the wiring, get it checked.

Get the air filter checked and the injector.


@Nasir-Did you got the sleeve for ECU free at the remap camp?
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 19:21   #1932
BHPian
 
NST440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 186
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
Hey NST440 The correct way to use an electric starter is to first pull the clutch (ignition remains off during this process) and kick the bike. Release the clutch and pull again and press the kick fully. Do this a couple of times. It's called "fanning the clutch" which is nothing but to separate all clutch plates, so that they are not sticking, which will put extra load on the starter motor.

Now turn the ignition on, check the neutral light, see the EFI light go off, pull in the clutch lever again and push the starter button. If your bike is on low idle, you may need a bit of throttle to keep the motor going, once it starts. Let it idle for a 30 seconds before you move.

Cold start is the same procedure, but may require additional input of manual bistarter or choke. Hope this helps. And do not forget to share this with your friends, after all that is how we all learn......!!
Thanks a lot bradhey, having nurtured a CI earlier i want to repeat the way it was kept, just like a baby. Have driven for just 300 Kms and its a stage where me and the CL5 are getting to know each other and i should tell you, i am just loving every second spent with it, especially when people keep looking at it at traffic lights. Pls. do let me know if there are any special things to be considered during the run in period, quite frankly i hate this run in thing, can not enjoy the beast fully except the 50-60 Km/h range and as adviced i have gone through the manual,this thread is a blessing for me & a place where i can ask my small (read silly) questions which i feel are quintessential for any bike enthusiast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@NST- Congratulations

This thread is just for the C5 so you have come to the right place for info. If you search this thread, you will get all the info you will require in due course of your ownership. So if you can get some time then do go through it and most importantly go through your service manual. For a UCE, don't go with what you hear on the street on how to for C5. rather ask here or your RE engineer.

Your questions has been rightly answered by @Bradhey so I wont comment but if you had the pre 11 C5 then I would have added a bit info about the sprag clutch failure. But you are lucky to have this problem sorted in your bike and you would never know about it.
So i guess i am lucky enough to stay away from such issue and thanks to this thread which made me finally go ahead and buy a UCE, i was earlier advocating the CI until i finally test drove this beauty.
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 20:01   #1933
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Thanks @nasirkaka. Just one more q..which dealer installed the new bosch plugs? Technik motors insist that they haven't got any new Bosch Platinum plus plugs yet.
got it from the Brand store service centre at bannerghatta road, behind shoppers stop.

Quote:
@Nasir-Did you got the sleeve for ECU free at the remap camp?
Nopes :(

Infact i have got the new mapping done thrice so far. Mine was one of the bikes used for the new mapping R&D, i guess. After the first map, there were major issues of startups, uneven idling, and stalling. So we got it mapped again with a new throttle body, and still the issues persisted. Then we changed the entire injector, and throttle body, and remapped it again, and so far its been holding good. And all this was happening with the technicians from chennai factory, who were in Bangalore for a long time, refining the map.

All these days of experimentation, no one mentioned any thing about the ECU sleeve, free or with cost. They only offered me the free plastic air-filter cover, which i declined as it would not fit over the K&N. So far, the Scotch is working fine. (tape and not the whiskey for all those pervert minds)

Last edited by nasirkaka : 10th October 2011 at 20:02.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 20:21   #1934
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orangajuli T.E
Posts: 13
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

After reading the entire thread, have come to the conclusion. Save longer, buying the Ninja 650r!!! Btw had taken a Electra on the Himalayan odyssey in 2009, the CL was being tested at high altitude, was running beautifully, no issues.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th October 2011 at 21:12. Reason: Dotty post, please use proper punctuation instead of this... Thanks.
aresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 23:19   #1935
BHPian
 
sudipta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 248
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

So finally the day has come for me to go and take the delivery for my C5 Chrome. tomorrow first to the bank for DD and then to brand showroom at 12:00 pm.

Thanks all for all the details and help for PDI and other stuffs. I will carry my camera to start clicking from the showroom and should be able to post the pics before the weekends.
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 - "The Chrome Decimator" xydon Motorbikes 17 9th February 2016 12:12
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale Puffdamgcdragon Motorbikes 1173 18th September 2012 17:31
Booked Royal Enfield Classic 500 but need help whether should wait for carb ketan4renault Motorbikes 12 29th June 2011 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks