Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 26th October 2011, 12:49   #2041
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Sudipta

Yes here's a thought on additives, there has been some talk on this thread of suspect fuel tank seam welding. I'm going to pick up a water emulsifiying additive to run in my fuel once a month. Condensation collects in the bottom of your fuel tank during wet weather in the form of water globules. It is well known to cause rust particularly in the welded seams of bike tanks. Emulsion agents make the water mix with the fuel and get burnt harmlessly.

Worse than condensation I picked up a tank of water contaminated fuel in my work scooter the other day and it stalled in traffic and refused to start until I persuaded it otherwise (as if riding a 50cc scooter isn't embarrassment enough). Water sometimes gets into gas station underground tanks, you can never trust them completely.
aussigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 13:06   #2042
BHPian

Adises

On your second picture 832527, top dead centre is a black cable or wire swinging around under the frame that is just slightly obscuring a little tower sticking up off the throttle body. The tower has a small phillips screw on its edge, ignor that screw, down inside that tower is a bigger brass blade type screw. That's the one!

On a C5 a screwdriver can't get to it for the seat and tank so.. I use a blade screw tip from my cordless drill's driver set and I put a little ring spanner over it to turn it. You want to go clockwise to slow the idle down but do it with the motor warmed up when it's behaving best.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:45   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please humor me and mark out the screw that needs to be turned to lower the idle speed of the bike. Right now my bike is set to a very high speed and it sounds like a sewing machine at signals.
A "well oiled sewing machine" is a great analogy and widely used for a well maintained and nicely running smooth engine.
Time to worry only when it sounds like an UN-OILED sewing machine.

As for the Idling screw, Its right there in your pic. IN your second picture (top-ish view one), u see a screw head in the top centre of the picture. Just behind that there is a cavity, in which u will find a brass scew head. Thats the bugger. Its a bit difficult to access, and u may require a flat screw driver with a loooong stem. You might also have to apply some force and twist the throttle body outwards to access it better. The brass screw is not the strongest of materials so be careful or u may damage the screw head groove.

If still confused, randhawa is posted a clear picture of the same, long time back in this thread. Hes also marked the idling screw with an arrow. Please find that page for a clearer understanding of throttle body parts and its cleaning.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 14:06   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
A "well oiled sewing machine" is a great analogy and widely used for a well maintained and nicely running smooth engine.
Time to worry only when it sounds like an UN-OILED sewing machine.

If still confused, randhawa is posted a clear picture of the same, long time back in this thread. Hes also marked the idling screw with an arrow. Please find that page for a clearer understanding of throttle body parts and its cleaning.
Thanks for the help, I think I successfully damaged the screw head groove Will go to a service centre and see what can be done I guess.
adises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 14:12   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
I tried to adjust the idling of my bike based on previous replies on this post. However, I am unable to even figure out which screw it is that has to be adjusted (even after looking at the photo on this post with an arrow pointing to the general location).

Can someone please humor me and mark out the screw that needs to be turned to lower the idle speed of the bike. Right now my bike is set to a very high speed and it sounds like a sewing machine at signals.

Attachment 832527
Here you go ... the screw is not visible in this picture but I have marked it.

That is your air bypass screw, used to set your idle speed.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-untitled1.jpg  

siddharth_menon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 20:12   #2046

Hi Randhawa and other gurus

I have a problem that I see. The moment I switch on the ignition, the neutral and the low fuel indicator glow on but the MIL lamp isn't glowing. Looks like the battery is dead. Is this also due to the ignition key issue? Right now I have fuel enough for 50-60 kms at least. So fuel is not the concern here.
I am not even able to kick start the vehicle. Tried enough times. Basically it's a 180 kg rock in my parking space. Can't imagine pushing it to my nearest service center that's 9 kms away.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated with loads of gratitude.
adityaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 22:43   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaj View Post
Hi Randhawa and other gurus

I have a problem that I see. The moment I switch on the ignition, the neutral and the low fuel indicator glow on but the MIL lamp isn't glowing. Looks like the battery is dead. Is this also due to the ignition key issue? Right now I have fuel enough for 50-60 kms at least. So fuel is not the concern here.
I am not even able to kick start the vehicle. Tried enough times. Basically it's a 180 kg rock in my parking space. Can't imagine pushing it to my nearest service center that's 9 kms away.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated with loads of gratitude.
Hi,

You need to check out battery charge ( try the indicators or the horn ). Make sure you check the fuses in the LH glove box. There are 3 fuses. Pull each one out and check. There are 3 spare fuses which can be used if any are blown. If the fuse is blown and blows again on replacement , you need to call service or cart your bike to the workshop.
If the battery is dead , you could take it out , get it charged and then ride down to the mechanic. Access to another bike / battery will let you jump start the bike by connecting the Positive terminals of both batteries together and connecting negative to any unpainted / clean part of the frame.
Best to enlist help from a mechanic / battery technician if uncertain of these procedures.

regards
Naren
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 16:35   #2048

Hi Hexanerax.

Thanks for the help. This issue is fixed. Culprit was the fuse. Interestingly the fuse isn't blown (as in it's not broken in between) but the contact points look like they are corroded. Cleaned the slot and put a spare fuse which did not show the corrosion and the vehicle is back to normal. Will try to post a pic of the fuse. Did anyone else experience such a thing?
adityaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 13:17   #2049
BHPian

Request for Suggestions from Experts

After waiting for 11 months, I have been told to make payment for C5 (Black) booked on 29th Nov 2011. Good news, no doubt. The confusion is that I have liked Desert Storm paint finish and it comes with some minor changes along with 3k hike in ex-showroom prices. When enquired at RE Dealership (Brand Store Bangalore), I have been told that I need to cancel my existing booking for C5 and request for new booking for Desert Storm color. And it has a wait list of 6-8 months.

I want to push RE for giving preference to C5 prospective owners for Desert Storm or Chrome,who have already waited for 11 months. BUT, I would like to know how important Front Fork and Swing Arm changes are. This would help me decide how hard I have to push or live with my existing booking and get my C5 in next couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance.
rajanvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 13:25   #2050
BHPian

Strange, being classic 500's I assumed the new changes have also been implemented in all the variants,

If the improvements in the desert storm and chrome aren't present in black/other colours that would imply Royal Enfield has two separate manufacturing lines making different parts for the same class of bike?
adises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 16:42   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Does the "Desert strom and chrome" have improvised "Front Fork and Swing Arm"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanvash View Post
Request for Suggestions from Experts

After waiting for 11 months, I have been told to make payment for C5 (Black) booked on 29th Nov 2011. Good news, no doubt. The confusion is that I have liked Desert Storm paint finish and it comes with some minor changes along with 3k hike in ex-showroom prices. When enquired at RE Dealership (Brand Store Bangalore), I have been told that I need to cancel my existing booking for C5 and request for new booking for Desert Storm color. And it has a wait list of 6-8 months.

I want to push RE for giving preference to C5 prospective owners for Desert Storm or Chrome,who have already waited for 11 months. BUT, I would like to know how important Front Fork and Swing Arm changes are. This would help me decide how hard I have to push or live with my existing booking and get my C5 in next couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 18:18   #2052
BHPian

I have on order a single right hand halcyon bar end mirror. I understand these secure with an expandable bolt that fits inside the end of the bar, however I believe that the C5 has a threaded grommit welded inside the end of the bar to which the bar end weight is screwed, so when it is delivered I'll post my best solution. I may also decide to fit a bar snake to deaden vibration because current vibes render the OEM mirrors almost useless. I see mirrors seem to be optional rather than a legal requirement in india?
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:48   #2053
BHPian

Friends,

During my first free service yesterday, the mechanic opened a cap form the bottom of the engine and pulled out a filter which had quite a lot of metal grub attached to it. He just cleaned the same and put it back, where as I requested he change the same and get a new one (which he didn't do). What will be your suggestions?

Also go the new upswept silencer fitted. What do you suggest I do with the old one?
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:00   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussigreg View Post
I see mirrors seem to be optional rather than a legal requirement in india?
Well they are required, but considering what all passes off in the name of 'vehicles' on Indian roads, that's the least of people's worries.

Also, as weird as this may sound, most youngsters consider bikes with mirrors as not so good looking, so do away with them usually as soon as they get it home. This is true especially in North India, and specifically for RE's.
avisidhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:12   #2055
BHPian

Not to mention the service stations do not have spare mirrors even if one geniuinely breaks.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote