Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th November 2011, 12:09   #2071
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

[quote=Randhawa; In fact the bikes are fitted with 535cc piston and they are not told about it to get a better review.[/quote]

And yet the top speed they could achieve was only 116 kmph
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 12:29   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
And yet the top speed they could achieve was only 116 kmph
Anything above 110+ is when the C5 start to dance around and for some people it does at 100+. Top speed 116 when we all know it does 120 without much drama at any given time on any descent C5. Then they speak of elongated swing arm(all BS) to cure instability when the instability is due to all ready elongated swingarm on C5 compared to CI chassis swingarm. Which RE has tried to resolve it by removing the offset in front.

I hope you get the point how these people are trying to cover up or simply they are dumb.
Randhawa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 13:17   #2073
BHPian

Quote:
Ps if you wash your filter in petrol or kerosine etc. DON'T USE IT FOR A HALF HOUR AT LEAST.
Forgot to add that i have been running on K&N cylindrical filter since early days. The number i think is 0900. comes with some special cleaner and oil for cleaning and re-oiling, and thats what i have been using. K&N claims for these filters to last up to 100,000 kms with regular maintenance. Suppose to pass more air then the OEM paper element filter.

Quote:
Anything above 110+ is when the C5 start to dance around and for some people it does at 100+. Top speed 116 when we all know it does 120 without much drama at any given time on any descent C5. Then they speak of elongated swing arm(all BS) to cure instability when the instability is due to all ready elongated swing arm on C5 compared to CI chassis swing arm. Which RE has tried to resolve it by removing the offset in front.
Surprisingly, even at 120, the bike felt decently stable. That too with the OEM white bushes without the collar. Just that excess vibrations, and no so confident brakes were the scary factors. possibly the bikes changed geometry/ weight with the saddle bags, RD handle bar and the pizza box could have added to the stability.

WRT to the new swing arm on the newer models, when i inquired at the service center here, they did mention that the length is slightly increased. But got to take what these guys say with a pinch of salt.

Anyhow, i am not complaining. My bike is been running smooth, without any jerks, misfires etc for a couple of months now. Touchwood. Cant forget those initial dreadful days.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 16:26   #2074
Senior - BHPian

@Nasir- I am saying in general about instability speeds. I think by now you know sometimes it can get shaky and then behave normal again.

I measured the swing arm on new ones(no change,confirmed by RE) and by Law they are unable to change it even if they wanted.
Old 11th November 2011, 17:37   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Nasir- I am saying in general about instability speeds. I think by now you know sometimes it can get shaky and then behave normal again.

I measured the swing arm on new ones(no change,confirmed by RE) and by Law they are unable to change it even if they wanted.
I second this. Swing arm is critical part of body (chassis), even though it's not welded to chassis. When a bike is passed through RTO, it is passed through all these specifications .One of my friend who worked with RTO told me that the company has to submit a lot of documents to get their vehicle passed.
Now if they want to change the swing arm dimensions they will have to get it cleared through RTO and in case if they admit that the instability is because of the swing arm, by law they will have to do a call back of all RE 500 EFI and change the swing arm on all of them. RE is very sick and poor to admit and replace it, repectively. They have just played with bunch of Indians and just launched the bike without proper testing and now they are checking our patience. Heyyy, I forgot..this is RE culture since years and its not gonna change.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 20:58   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
RE is very sick and poor to admit and replace it, repectively. They have just played with bunch of Indians and just launched the bike without proper testing and now they are checking our patience. Heyyy, I forgot..this is RE culture since years and its not gonna change.
Thats so sad. Things like boosting up test bikes for magazine reviews, not correcting a faulty swing-arm design cos of some paperwork at pune and recalling a few bikes!! Literally playing with peoples life, as it is, bike riders are not so safe on road, and on top of that, unstable bikes.
Am just curious to know if anyone here had a close call/fall etc cos of the faulty swing arm?

Another question: if any structural change to a bike has to be re-passed by the pune rti office, I am sure the off-set of front wheel should come under that (and a lot more changes made before like front wheel size etc). And if they have gone through the paperwork for that, they could have redesigned the swing-arm once and for all, so atleast the new customers would be safer on road.

RE makes a 500CC bike with brand new engine design and technology, which does not even reach 130kmph with ease, and starts dancing in the process. I could still take it, if the fishtailing crept at 140+ kmph.. but at 100/110, its just not done.

And i seriously hate this idea of RE doing R&D at customers expenses. We are NOT guinea pigs. Every month or so, they keep making some changes to the bike. The wheel size, the handle bars, the mirrors, the wheel offset, the air filter design, the crank weight, the horns, the tires, the swing-arm bushes, and god know how many changes internally. Why cant they do all the R&D / testings etc before selling it. What about customers, who showed trust in them and bought the bikes when it was launched. Why should they suffer with inferior parts, and bad designs?? And those initial customers have played a MAJOR role in success of Classic Series, considering RE spends nothing when it comes to advertising.

Buggers, want to keep their cake and eat it too. SHAME!!
Old 11th November 2011, 22:15   #2077
BHPian

Nasir,

In a word, competition. RE doesn't have any, not in the same way that most other brands do. Nobody makes a retro 50s style 500cc single. If yamaha took a shortcut with R&D on any model in their line up another brand would have something nearly identical on the street for simular $ with no problem, and yamaha would not be able to give away that model.

No company cares about customers, only shareholders. When sales depend on PR companies with lots more money than RE do a pretty fancy job of pretending to care about customers.

I still think moving the front wheel back toward the engine is the wrong move to cure stability. I would look at raking the forks a little more and going to vintage style large wheels, maybe 21inch if I were designing a C5 mark II.

By the way, increased engine capacity does not mean a direct ratio of increased speed, if it did 2000cc bikes would tear up ashphalt and launch into space but they really don't. They aren't affected by wind, hills and load but a honda XR250 will still leave them at the lights and a yamaha R6 will see top speeds that a vulcan 2000 will never do.
aussigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 13:09   #2078
BANNED

if i have a option to get the DS500 in december 2011, should i chose it or wait till January, does it really effect the resale factor of RE motorcycles
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 14:52   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
if i have a option to get the DS500 in december 2011, should i chose it or wait till January, does it really effect the resale factor of RE motorcycles
Since when did RE buyers started thinking about resale and such practical issues??

RE machines are like wine, The older the bike the more the value..
Old 14th November 2011, 09:24   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Be careful till 500km, make sure you don't exceed 65 till then and don't run it for more then 20min at a stretch. From 500 to 2000km, do not exceed 90km/h. After that do whatever you like.
Randhawa, Here is a question about the running-in.

I have been running in my new bike. I go for 40-50 km bursts on highways at times and and 10 -15 kms each time in city. I have reached 400. However, I just noticed your comment about 5-10 min cool downs after every 20 mins which I have not followed. I have stuck to 50-60 km max speed at all times. I also changed oil and filter once at 150. Do you think I would have caused any damage. Any way I can check? The bike functions normally. By the way this is a Classic Chrome delivered a few days back.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 14th November 2011 at 09:28.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 11:07   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Randhawa, Here is a question about the running-in.

I have been running in my new bike. I go for 40-50 km bursts on highways at times and and 10 -15 kms each time in city. I have reached 400. However, I just noticed your comment about 5-10 min cool downs after every 20 mins which I have not followed. I have stuck to 50-60 km max speed at all times. I also changed oil and filter once at 150. Do you think I would have caused any damage. Any way I can check? The bike functions normally. By the way this is a Classic Chrome delivered a few days back.

You wont be able to detect any damage and first 350 km is more important. Good that you changed oil at 150 and now do it at 500. Keep under 90 till 2k. If you can manage that then you will have a less rattly engine in the long run with no overheating problems.
Randhawa is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 12:08   #2082
BHPian

There are certain questions in my mind that i would request dear fellow C5ers to help me out with as i am little confused with my last visit to the dealer, they called me up to change the spark plugs & do remapping, though remapping was not done as my bike was already loaded with latest config (Sept. 2011 model, done only 900 Kms till date).

I had a detailed discussion with the RE engineer who came especially for the C5 query handling , here's the detail:

QUESTION 1) (He started the bike without using the clutch and pushed the starter button)-I Asked him isn't it recommended & necessary to use the clutch while starting & further more we should do declutching too.

REPLY 1) He smiled and said, sir i am an engineer, the use of clutch while using electronic start would deteriorate the clutch plates very quickly & since this bike has a sprag clutch there is absolutely no need at all to use the clutch while starting the bike.Furthermore, there's no need of declutching its futile !!

QUESTION 2) I told him that my bike starts dancing at speeds excess of 100Km/hr sometimes & sometimes it doesn't what can be done for the same?

REPLY 2) Sir, any two wheeler even Harley in excess of 100 may wobble a little, its simply the pressure of the wind & nothing else "aap fikar mat karo'' its natural!!

QUESTION 3)
I asked him whether according to the manual the front & rear tyre pressure of 22ps & 32ps is accurate or not as every tyre wala suggests 25ps (F) & 35ps(R).

REPLY 3) 25ps (F) & 35ps (R) is best, do not abide by the manual its outdated and redundant.

QUESTION 4) I asked about the running in period precautions & max speeds to achieve till 2000 Kms.I further asked if i should wait for installing the upswept silencer till 2000 Kms or get it done no only.

REPLY 4) Sir, tension free ho jao, don't worry, the C5 has superb oil pressure which makes the running in period just a myth, you can do any speeds ,the running in is simply meant for the older CI bikes as there oil pressure was 6 units only and C5 has 24 units which is enormous, the C5 do not require any sort of running in at all !!! AFA up swept silencer goes, you can install it anytime & there is nothing like running your bike for 2000 kms and then install it.

After all the discussion i shared with the guy, i am in a dilemma, kindly guide me for the same, i simply fail to understand, are the RE engineers too carefree or are we people extra cautious about our dear C5, i request dear C5ers to help by answering the above queries.
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 13:10   #2083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
There are certain questions in my mind that i would request dear fellow C5ers to help me out with as i am little confused with my last visit to the dealer, they called me up to change the spark plugs & do remapping, though remapping was not done as my bike was already loaded with latest config (Sept. 2011 model, done only 900 Kms till date).

I had a detailed discussion with the RE engineer who came especially for the C5 query handling , here's the detail:

QUESTION 1) (He started the bike without using the clutch and pushed the starter button)-I Asked him isn't it recommended & necessary to use the clutch while starting & further more we should do declutching too.

REPLY 1) He smiled and said, sir i am an engineer, the use of clutch while using electronic start would deteriorate the clutch plates very quickly & since this bike has a sprag clutch there is absolutely no need at all to use the clutch while starting the bike.Furthermore, there's no need of declutching its futile !!

QUESTION 2) I told him that my bike starts dancing at speeds excess of 100Km/hr sometimes & sometimes it doesn't what can be done for the same?

REPLY 2) Sir, any two wheeler even Harley in excess of 100 may wobble a little, its simply the pressure of the wind & nothing else "aap fikar mat karo'' its natural!!

QUESTION 3)
I asked him whether according to the manual the front & rear tyre pressure of 22ps & 32ps is accurate or not as every tyre wala suggests 25ps (F) & 35ps(R).

REPLY 3) 25ps (F) & 35ps (R) is best, do not abide by the manual its outdated and redundant.

QUESTION 4) I asked about the running in period precautions & max speeds to achieve till 2000 Kms.I further asked if i should wait for installing the upswept silencer till 2000 Kms or get it done no only.

REPLY 4) Sir, tension free ho jao, don't worry, the C5 has superb oil pressure which makes the running in period just a myth, you can do any speeds ,the running in is simply meant for the older CI bikes as there oil pressure was 6 units only and C5 has 24 units which is enormous, the C5 do not require any sort of running in at all !!! AFA up swept silencer goes, you can install it anytime & there is nothing like running your bike for 2000 kms and then install it.

After all the discussion i shared with the guy, i am in a dilemma, kindly guide me for the same, i simply fail to understand, are the RE engineers too carefree or are we people extra cautious about our dear C5, i request dear C5ers to help by answering the above queries.
Please PM the name of this so called engineer, I would like to educate him and speak to his superior. He is giving out way to much false information. I can give you a very fine example of not one but 10 C5 bought buy some guy in Chandigarh for touring/rental purpose. These bikes have done 5k and all of them (yes all 10)have gone through;

1) 1 x piston/barrel kit complete
2) 2 x piston ring complete set

Thats for all the 10 bikes and each bike had the above done under 5k(just because the chap did not do the running in on all of them). So with your RE engineer running in is still a myth

Last edited by Randhawa : 14th November 2011 at 13:11.
Old 14th November 2011, 13:35   #2084
Senior - BHPian

While we know RE's manufacturing ways etc. are absolutely ancient still i'd like to add that here in Dehradun i can give you the number of a Friend who runs a touring company and he has 10 CL500's and none of them has had any problem. Only one has had the sprag issue till now and one has had a blown ECU and one had its clutch burnt in rohtang. No other problems at all. A couple of plug shorts etc. He has been stumped by the reliability of the bikes contrary to the popular perception of them being unreliable. His bikes have been to Leh, Tibet, Bhutan and Nepal a number of times. All of them nearing the 20000 Mark now. I am actually stumped by the reliability.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 13:50   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
You wont be able to detect any damage and first 350 km is more important. Good that you changed oil at 150 and now do it at 500. Keep under 90 till 2k. If you can manage that then you will have a less rattly engine in the long run with no overheating problems.
So you have me worried now. When do you think I would notice any (if any) damage and how? What are the damages that overheating (again if any) would have caused? I realized I did close to 100 km (between 300 to 400) with just one stop of 5-10 mins.

Another point though. I have noticed that the Engine has become far more smooth revving after crossing 250-300.

One observation I needed some views on. While there is no leakage of oil yet from any area, I do see the oil level viewer on the side of the engine is lined with moistness of oil and gathering dust. Does this mean that the viewer glass is leaking? It is not big enough to form a drop or drip but the moistness is clearly visible around the rim of the glass.

Is it safe to add STP Fuel Injector cleaner in the fuel? It is a 350 ml black plastic bottle. Is it ok to add full bottle.

Please advice. As always thanks for the help.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote