Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 24th March 2010, 20:28   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator_47 View Post
Well I was wondering if i need to fully or partially laminate the same,can it affect the the operation of air filter somehow.Sorry not sure !
look at the page 1 where randhawa explained the problem and solution
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 11:29   #197
Senior - BHPian

Took out the bike after 3 weeks for a spin, and I find that the ammeter that normally hovers just a little over into the plus side when the bike is cruising in the day, was all the way to the right, just a little away from the end of the range. What could be the reason??
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 13:04   #198
Senior - BHPian

Since your lb500 has been idle for 3 weeks, the battery has discharged. So, while you were riding, the battery was being charged. Hence, the ammeter shows a positive reading.

cheers,
jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 13:25   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Since your lb500 has been idle for 3 weeks, the battery has discharged. So, while you were riding, the battery was being charged. Hence, the ammeter shows a positive reading.

cheers,
jay
Thanks, that was my guess, but I was not sure it worked quite as well as that. Does than mean that if I ride it long enough the needle will move back towards the center as the battery gets to full charge? Which means that the current that the charging circuit puts out depends on the state of charge in the battery - I am impressed.
Old 28th March 2010, 13:53   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Thanks, that was my guess, but I was not sure it worked quite as well as that. Does than mean that if I ride it long enough the needle will move back towards the center as the battery gets to full charge? Which means that the current that the charging circuit puts out depends on the state of charge in the battery - I am impressed.
Hehe, think of electricity as flowing water and the battery is a reservoir (with a closed top). The charging circuit is a pump which only puts out water at a certain 'pressure'. When the battery is full, the backpressure created by it counters the flow from the charging circuit so no water flows into it. Instead it is redirected to the ignition system, lights, etc (unless its a fully DC system). The ammeter is a water meter which says which direction the water is flowing with respect to the reservoir.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no real inherent intelligence in the system as its all a matter of equalizing pressures (voltages).

Last edited by GreaseMonk : 28th March 2010 at 13:54.
GreaseMonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 15:14   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Hehe, think of electricity as flowing water and the battery is a reservoir (with a closed top). The charging circuit is a pump which only puts out water at a certain 'pressure'. When the battery is full, the backpressure created by it counters the flow from the charging circuit so no water flows into it. Instead it is redirected to the ignition system, lights, etc (unless its a fully DC system). The ammeter is a water meter which says which direction the water is flowing with respect to the reservoir.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no real inherent intelligence in the system as its all a matter of equalizing pressures (voltages).
Of course there is no mind here, just engineering, but even so, the water analogy breaks down. In the water analogy, if the battery was full, and if the pump kept pumping, either the battery would "overflow", or the back pressure would cause the water to leak at the other end or some other place where there is a weakness. When you say redirected to the ignition system, where does it go then? Somewhere in the system there has to be a way either the electricity is not produced when the battery is full, or gets absorbed safely since not required. Which of the two and how is that accomplished then is my question.
Old 28th March 2010, 17:29   #202
Senior - BHPian

For a second I thought what an ammeter is doing on a C5, then it came to me Sawyer is talking about his LB500.

@Monk- nice way to explain it in layman terms
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 22:52   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Of course there is no mind here, just engineering, but even so, the water analogy breaks down. In the water analogy, if the battery was full, and if the pump kept pumping, either the battery would "overflow", or the back pressure would cause the water to leak at the other end or some other place where there is a weakness. When you say redirected to the ignition system, where does it go then? Somewhere in the system there has to be a way either the electricity is not produced when the battery is full, or gets absorbed safely since not required. Which of the two and how is that accomplished then is my question.
That is why I was trying to keep it in terms of pressures. Water only flows if there is a difference in pressures between two locations. When the battery is full, its pressure is equal to that of the charging circuit, so no water flows. The charging circuit is not producing water, its producing pressure which pushes the water around. So there is no issue of anything 'overflowing' as such.
GreaseMonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 07:58   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
That is why I was trying to keep it in terms of pressures. Water only flows if there is a difference in pressures between two locations. When the battery is full, its pressure is equal to that of the charging circuit, so no water flows. The charging circuit is not producing water, its producing pressure which pushes the water around. So there is no issue of anything 'overflowing' as such.
Remember, invisible electricity is largely a mystery to me! Hence the questions and here is another - when the battery is full the charging circuit is not producing electricity? How does the cut out happen? I assume that the electricity is produced by the rotation of the engine, so is there some thing that disconnects the rotation from the charging part of the bike, akin to a clutch for the mechanical disconnect? Because I thought the charging circuit produces electricity in the first place, on rereading your post, it says it does not. What does then?
I am sorry to intrude on the thread, it did not seem necessary to start another one when I started the questions!
Old 29th March 2010, 09:51   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Remember, invisible electricity is largely a mystery to me! Hence the questions and here is another - when the battery is full the charging circuit is not producing electricity? How does the cut out happen? I assume that the electricity is produced by the rotation of the engine, so is there some thing that disconnects the rotation from the charging part of the bike, akin to a clutch for the mechanical disconnect? Because I thought the charging circuit produces electricity in the first place, on rereading your post, it says it does not. What does then?
I am sorry to intrude on the thread, it did not seem necessary to start another one when I started the questions!
There is no need for a mechanical cut out. A dynamo produces current only when the electric circuit is complete- means there should be a 'load' otherwise it just freely rotates without producing anything. A bulb connected to dynamo can be a load, so is the discharged battery. When the battery is fully charged, then there is no more 'load' unless you are using headlight etc so the dynamo freely rotates without producing electricity. In modern bikes, an electronic 'regulator' is there which regulates the current produced at varying bike speeds so the battery is not 'overcharged'.
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:52   #206
Senior - BHPian

Four punctures in two days and I think I had enough. Rear tyre is picking up nails like anything.

Can anyone help me find MRF Meteor 110/90 18 please, no dealer in Chandigarh has one in stock.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:43   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Four punctures in two days and I think I had enough. Rear tyre is picking up nails like anything.

Can anyone help me find MRF Meteor 110/90 18 please, no dealer in Chandigarh has one in stock.
Sanjeet,

MRF Meteor is crap in the wet. You're better off sticking to stock or buying the Pirelli.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 09:27   #208
Senior - BHPian

Slime anyone?

Want to revisit the idea Sanjeet?
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 17:18   #209
BHPian

did anyone else have a problem with the chain making a noise (while hitting somewhere) while riding and more so when riding with a pillion?? If yes how to solve it?
rajitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 10:35   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajitn View Post
did anyone else have a problem with the chain making a noise (while hitting somewhere) while riding and more so when riding with a pillion?? If yes how to solve it?
That's the know issue with C5. If you look at the front portion of the chain cover (towards engine), you will see that the chain is touching the upper part of chain guard from inside.
It is due to mis-alignment of chain cover. I got a replacement chain cover but the issue continued.
So I removed the chain cover and made it flat in the front (removed curve) also added spacer in the front nut of the chain guard to align it straight.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote