Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 21st November 2011, 18:14   #2116
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

CAUTION!!!

I had given my bike for a general service including oil change, to the RE service center.
Got the bike back on saturday evening, and took it home. Sunday, did not ride the bike at all. Today(Monday), when i checked the oil window, it was a complete black circle. Immediately, i got the answer to why i did not feel any difference in engine smoothness after the new oil. I was sure that the service guy did not change the oil, and just charge me for it. I did not have any means to prove it.

Took the bike bike to service centre in the afternoon today, and showed them the black oil window. They gave some lame excuse like may be they did not completely drain the old oil, so the new oil got the black colour, etc etc. They also said that they will replace the oil once again, without charging for it. I got it replaced then and there, and voila, the clear pale yellow oil through the window was clearly visible.

Robbers! Shame!

A word of caution: When u get the engine oil replaced, make sure to double check it yourself if they have actually replaced it. Or learn to do it yourself, which i will now.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 19:33   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
CAUTION!!!

I had given my bike for a general service including oil change, to the RE service center.
Got the bike back on saturday evening, and took it home. Sunday, did not ride the bike at all. Today(Monday), when i checked the oil window, it was a complete black circle. Immediately, i got the answer to why i did not feel any difference in engine smoothness after the new oil. I was sure that the service guy did not change the oil, and just charge me for it. I did not have any means to prove it.

Took the bike bike to service centre in the afternoon today, and showed them the black oil window. They gave some lame excuse like may be they did not completely drain the old oil, so the new oil got the black colour, etc etc. They also said that they will replace the oil once again, without charging for it. I got it replaced then and there, and voila, the clear pale yellow oil through the window was clearly visible.

Robbers! Shame!

A word of caution: When u get the engine oil replaced, make sure to double check it yourself if they have actually replaced it. Or learn to do it yourself, which i will now.
Which service center in B'lore was this?
reswaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 19:48   #2118
BHPian

The service center off bannerghatta road. (behind shoppers stop).
Old 21st November 2011, 19:50   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
CAUTION!!!

Robbers! Shame!

@Nasir,

You are the first one to face this. When i Owned a TBTS, One of the service center charged for Oil and never changed it. After 2 days When i changed to oil to synthetic i saw dark black oil in different service center. I even got a piece of advise from mechanic to change my oil every 6k kms. since i was changing it to synthetic i didnot go back to first service center.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:04   #2120
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmVader View Post
@KA18

Got it registered in chennai. I am yet to get an NOC from the RTO in chennai, but once I get that done, I will get it registered here. Yes, I've heard it is expensive to get it registered in Bangalore but I don't know the rates yet.
@NapalmVader, @KA18

The Karnataka Tax is determined by two factors:
a) Cost of the vehicle (as mentioned in the Invoice)
This determines the tax slab. For e.g. Under Rs. 50000, x%, Over Rs. 50000 y% etc.
b) Age of the vehicle
Of the above mentioned percentage, based on age of the vehicle you pay a certain percentage. For eg. Under two years 93%, More than two years but less than x years 87% etc.
Your case is similar to mine, so you would have to shell out 93% of 13.32% of the Invoice amount.

If you pay anything different that the above then do let me know.

Also FYI, you can apply for a refund of the tax paid in TN, that will be refunded to you on a pro-rated bases.

Hope this helps.
smoghe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 16:35   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
CAUTION!!!
Well, my first service experience was also not very good either. Ironically, I actually wanted to get it serviced at the Bannerghatta Road Service Center, but it was closed due to worker strike. Hence took it to Teknik Motors on Sarjapur Road. The Service Center guys did not allow me to be around while it was being serviced. I visited post lunch to drop off my new number plate and the bike was still parked just the way I had left it. I went back around 05:00 pm and all I could see was that the Engine Oil had been drained out. They replaced the oil, fixed the number plate, gave it a wash and handed over the bike. All of this happened after 05:00 pm and given the queue for washing the bike finally I got it around 07:00 pm.

I don't really mind the wait, but somehow I believe that they did nothing other than the oil change and that is what I am unhappy about. Moreover I really wanted to be around and check-out what was being done - more out of curiosity than to check on them.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Authorized RE service center in Bangalore that can be trusted and that also allows you to watch the bike being serviced and can have a conversation with the mechanic.
smoghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:05   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghe View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on Authorized RE service center in Bangalore that can be trusted and that also allows you to watch the bike being serviced and can have a conversation with the mechanic.
Generally, all RE outlets are poor at service. That's a part of buying a RE. One can get good service from the dealer, but that involves getting to know the guy doing the service, and making sure that it is only he that gets the bike. Like all things in India, this can be managed with some effort. What most people do as an alternative is get hold of outside mechanics, who specialize in Bullets. Pune for instance has some very good RE experts, and I am sure that other cities have them too. The concern with the newer models with the electronic boxes of tricks is how these people will cope with them for service. RE needs to get its service act together as these bikes come into the market, but I don't see them doing that yet. The older Bullets also lend to doing the work yourself, which can be very rewarding, and useful if the bike breaks down on long rides, but there won't be much you can DIY on the EFI and other electronics.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:52   #2123
BHPian

Quote:
Well, my first service experience was also not very good either. Ironically, I actually wanted to get it serviced at the Bannerghatta Road Service Center, but it was closed due to worker strike. Hence took it to Teknik Motors on Sarjapur Road. The Service Center guys did not allow me to be around while it was being serviced. I visited post lunch to drop off my new number plate and the bike was still parked just the way I had left it. I went back around 05:00 pm and all I could see was that the Engine Oil had been drained out. They replaced the oil, fixed the number plate, gave it a wash and handed over the bike. All of this happened after 05:00 pm and given the queue for washing the bike finally I got it around 07:00 pm.

I don't really mind the wait, but somehow I believe that they did nothing other than the oil change and that is what I am unhappy about. Moreover I really wanted to be around and check-out what was being done - more out of curiosity than to check on them.

If this is what they did, then you could have done it better by yourself. So much for a service. Generally many of these outlets just wash the bike/car and do a little bit and give it back to you. Sad but true.
Prithvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:34   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
There are various ways to achieve this:

1. Develop a relationship with the Service Center personnel. This works not just for RE but for some of the most strict Jap and Korean brands of cars. I went to Teknik for Oil change at 150 km and I was pretty much with the bike all along. The supervisors and staff are quite courteous and I presume this would have been true for first service too. Though I got the first service done at another center due to my relationship with the owner.

Similarly for my cars (Honda and Hyundai), I sometimes choose to spend time on the floor when the cars are being repaired and they never mind as long as you are not a bother. I used to do the same for Lancer which I do not have any more.

2. Another is to identify a local mechanic as pointed out in other posts. There are many well qualified mechanics (even if not authorized) who are well acclaimed and would not mind you hanging around for all the job. Even the service center I go to (Mahboob Garage) was not authorized when I used to take my RE350 in early 90's. Now that is an authorized service center. I recall in mid 90's when my 350 was being re-done, I pretty much spent a week or so there and also shuttling between paint/chrome shops, lathe shops, spares shops etc.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 23rd November 2011 at 10:40.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:40   #2125
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
During first service when the mechanic was riding for test drive, I noticed from a distance that the front and real wheels are not in true alignment.

Have any of you noticed this error on your bike? What is the remedy?
@ Randhawa, I did some of the things you suggested and also got the wheels checked for balancing.

The truing was bad (truly). So I got the tyres unmounted and got the rims done at a shop which has been doing wheel truing for ages. The wheels were quite wobbly and skewed when mounted on the machine and rotated.

Now I see a noticeable difference in balance and handling. However, I have not yet visually inspected for front-rear alignment as the mechanic who I would let ride the bike has not been around. Will check next weekend and report.
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:31   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
1. Develop a relationship with the Service Center personnel. This works not just for RE but for some of the most strict Jap and Korean brands of cars. I went to Teknik for Oil change at 150 km and I was pretty much with the bike all along. The supervisors and staff are quite courteous and I presume this would have been true for first service too. Though I got the first service done at another center due to my relationship with the owner.
Infact, i have a good relationship with this place, since 2008, i have been regularly getting my bike serviced here. I know most of the mechanics, and technicians. Recently, the service manager whom i knew personally, is taken a transfer to some place in chennai. Not sure if things have changed after that. Over years, i did develop some trust in this place, and that is why i left my bike there. Also, as the service centre is always crowded with bikes, one may not have enough time to wait and oversee the service procedure. May take entire day or even more, looking at the general crowd at service stations.

In future, will do the basic service myself, such as cleaning, chain tension, oil change, Airfilter cleaning, brake adjustments, electrolyte level, play checks, etc. Will take bike to the service centre only if some major work is required. I guess most of us should try and learn the basics ourselves. Will save time, money and give job satisfaction.

Randhawa, would it be asking too much, if you could prepare a document, supported by pics, as to how to do a basic service, DIY style. Like snidel's we can call this one "THE RANDHAWA MANUEL"

Last edited by nasirkaka : 23rd November 2011 at 13:32.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:30   #2127
BHPian

This post may not be regarding servicing. I have paid in full amount 2 weeks back and i'm yet to get my bike. Every time i call they give me a lame excuse saying the bike has to registered.

I had booked desert Storm.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:53   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
This post may not be regarding servicing. I have paid in full amount 2 weeks back and i'm yet to get my bike. Every time i call they give me a lame excuse saying the bike has to registered.

I had booked desert Storm.
Not clear where you have booked. Is it Brand Shop?

I strongly suggest you go there as often as you can. Ask to see your bike. It does not take 2 weeks to register. Unless they have given your bike out of turn to someone else and are waiting for new stocks. They normally ask you to pay only after you have seen the bike. You can even note the Engine No. before paying.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:56   #2129
BHPian

Quote:

I strongly suggest you go there as often as you can. Ask to see your bike. It does not take 2 weeks to register. Unless they have given your bike out of turn to someone else and are waiting for new stocks. They normally ask you to pay only after you have seen the bike. You can even note the Engine No. before paying.
Its Brand Store. When i called yesterday they informed billing has been done on 16th of november. But they have large inventory to register. they will try give this week. I'm planning to visit them tomorrow.

Also Last to last year when i pciked TBTS i was made to do the payment. once the payment realized i got my bike in 3 days. but this time its a long wait.

Last edited by Endofdayz : 23rd November 2011 at 16:00.
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:10   #2130
BHPian

Quote:

@ Naresh. I called them up and got confirmation that payment was collected on the basis of number list. The bike got billed from factory and they received bike only three days back. he will try to push it this week or else next week it seems. So long wait continues.