Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th December 2011, 18:45   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkrverma View Post
Its been 20 days of my DS500.
Congratulations and best wishes, anupkrverma.
Quote:
Taking my bull out in city on weekends for a 20-30 km ride at aroun 50-60 km.
As per the manual, the recommended speed upto the first 500 km is below 50 kmph.
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-re-runningin.png

Last edited by J.Ravi : 8th December 2011 at 18:49.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 18:59   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Congratulations and best wishes, anupkrverma.
As per the manual, the recommended speed upto the first 500 km is below 50 kmph.
Unless they are attempting to get you to run in the wheel bearings at those speeds, the manual is wrong with regards to this.

You cant switch to 5th gear at 50 kmph without lugging the engine. And if you avoid going into 5th gear, you are not running the gear box in entirely as well.

From my experience with the bike, you can shift to 5th at 60. Then to work up the RPMs in 5th, take it up to 70.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 19:11   #2193
BHPian

Running in an engine usually is about keeping the revs down. Actual speed is less relevant

If you use the gears wisely you should be able to exceed 50kmph easily while keeping the revs low
san9jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 22:32   #2194
BHPian

@GREASEMONK: that is what I am doing occasionally. But in city traffic I have to downshift almost instantly, moreover there is lugging in fourth and fifth gear at low speeds.
One important question is, Should I change oil as advised by some experienced members before 500 km or should stick to the company manual???

Please advise..
anupkrverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 23:13   #2195
BHPian

TO ALL GURUS. Please enlighten us the bull owners of the north India.
Since the winter is upon us please advise about the mode of maintenance and running a new bike in winters.
I live in Delhi and the temp have already started dipping.

I dont want my Bull to catch a severe cold..

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th December 2011 at 23:21. Reason: Dotty post, please avoid typing like this... Thanks
anupkrverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 04:52   #2196
BHPian

Sounds like your doing fine to me.
Be sure to utilize all of the various engine speeds (without over reving it) as much as possible.

On your longer, higher speed rides don't forget to stop after 15 minutes or so to let the engine cool off a bit before riding on.

At this stage of its life, many of the parts are rubbing together and creating hot spots and these cool down periods will allow the metal in those hot areas to transfer their heat to adjacent areas.

This applies after the 500 km distance too so you should be taking advantage of the higher speeds allowed (up to 90 Kmph) once you pass the 500 km distance.

I have read that some people think this recommended break in speed limit is a bunch of hooie but as a Design Engineer I can say that there are a number of metal to metal surfaces rubbing inside a Royal Enfield engine that need to wear themselves in to one another gently.
These surfaces include the piston, the piston rings, the cylinder bore, the hydraulic valve lifters and their bores, the rocker arms and valve stems, the valve stems and their guides, all of the gears and even the oil pump.
The rolling element bearings on the crankshaft and connecting rod do not require breaking in but as you can see, there are a lot of other parts in there which do.

Safe riding and Enjoy!
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 06:06   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I have read that some people think this recommended break in speed limit is a bunch of hooie but as a Design Engineer I can say that there are a number of metal to metal surfaces rubbing inside a Royal Enfield engine that need to wear themselves in to one another gently.
These surfaces include the piston, the piston rings, the cylinder bore, the hydraulic valve lifters and their bores, the rocker arms and valve stems, the valve stems and their guides, all of the gears and even the oil pump.
As someone who understands component machining, I agree too. The thing is that for current Indian cars and two wheelers, the machining technology has improved to the point that this isn't required to an extent that it was in cars/bikes of 20 years ago. The components come out much better machined, finished, and there isn't much metal that gets removed once the engine starts its life. This also means that there isn't much contamination of the engine oil which is where the rubbed off metal would be held in suspended state, because there isn't much of that falling into the oil in the first place. That's why the owners manual don't now stress running in needs or advise earlier/quicker oil changes in the first part of the life of the engine/vehicle.

The RE isn't there with respect to manufacturing tech/tolerances. I would go so far as to say the final part of the machining of the components happens in the engine, in the hands of the owner! That too is the reason why it is good practice to change the engine oil in a new RE inside the first 300 kms, and then once again at 1000 kms, before moving to the manual recommendations.

In older REs, this was best done for the engine and clutch oils, the gearbox oil wasn't such a concern, since there wasn't as much metal swarf falling in that.

A well run in RE will yield huge performance benefits - in terms of speed to an extent, but more so in terms of longer term engine reliability and life. In a much more marked way than other bikes in the market where for reasons stated, running in isn't so critical anymore.
Sawyer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 19:10   #2198
Senior - BHPian

A few Queries regarding CL500

1)Has anyone tried 19" rear rim on the Classic?,is it doable?

2)Is it possible to install a Normal RE 350 or a TBTS seat?,how does it look anyone has pics?

3)Whats the headlamp bulb holder type and specification?

4)At what speeds can it comfortably cruise on a highway-I have ridden one on highway,but that was long ago.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 21:20   #2199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
A few Queries regarding CL500

1)Has anyone tried 19" rear rim on the Classic?,is it doable?

2)Is it possible to install a Normal RE 350 or a TBTS seat?,how does it look anyone has pics?

3)Whats the headlamp bulb holder type and specification?

4)At what speeds can it comfortably cruise on a highway-I have ridden one on highway,but that was long ago.
1)Not that I have heard off but it's doable with some modifications to the rear mudguard(have to do the electra way-raise it).

2) Yes but in my opinion it looks hideous. Search the thread, I had posted a picture long way back.

3) It's a H4 55/60 halogen bulb with spring clip holder.

4) Comfortably 100-110 all day long without stressing the engine or with the feel of over revving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkrverma View Post
TO ALL GURUS. Please enlighten us the bull owners of the north India.
Since the winter is upon us please advise about the mode of maintenance and running a new bike in winters.
I live in Delhi and the temp have already started dipping.

I dont want my Bull to catch a severe cold..
Warm up at idle for couple of minutes and thats all. Winter is the best time to do running in on a bull. Avoid short rides in winters so not to clog up the head.

Last edited by Randhawa : 11th December 2011 at 21:23.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 04:01   #2200
BHPian

Default Assist Please.

I've am waiting to take delivery of my new Desert Storm shortly. I'm keen to ride the bull for a while without the pillion seat and hence would like to get the saree guard removed.

when I spoke to the RE dealership regarding the same, they just said I can get it removed but did not mention anything about a support in its place. I don't know what it is called, but I've marked it in the below picture. (Thanks to the thread owner for posting it in the first place)

When I asked the dealership regarding this piece of kit, they were clueless. They said if I wanted the saree guard removed, that's all there is to it. They said there was nothing to be installed in its place. Nothing about this piece of kit.

Wisdom?
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-cl500.jpg  

saviouravenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 06:37   #2201
BHPian

Default Re: Assist Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviouravenger View Post
I've am waiting to take delivery of my new Desert Storm shortly. I'm keen to ride the bull for a while without the pillion seat and hence would like to get the saree guard removed.

when I spoke to the RE dealership regarding the same, they just said I can get it removed but did not mention anything about a support in its place. I don't know what it is called, but I've marked it in the below picture. (Thanks to the thread owner for posting it in the first place)

When I asked the dealership regarding this piece of kit, they were clueless. They said if I wanted the saree guard removed, that's all there is to it. They said there was nothing to be installed in its place. Nothing about this piece of kit.

Wisdom?
It's called a 'stay'. When they remove the saree guard, it needs to be replaced with a regular left-side stay.

Good luck in getting it though. I bought my bike in August 2010. I asked for the regular stay back then, and I still haven't received one.
GreaseMonk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 09:48   #2202
BHPian

Quote:
Black "stay" is easily available with RE Spares Stores and Authorized Service centers. The difficulty would be in finding the one with the color you need. Alternatively, if you know a good paint shop, you can buy a black one and get it painted. The Stay costs 475 Rs.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 00:45   #2203
BHPian

Smile Wisdom Received!!

A Big Thank You to "Grease Monk" & "Naresh Rao"

I will start looking for a Stay.
saviouravenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 15:47   #2204
BANNED

Quote:
I've am waiting to take delivery of my new Desert Storm shortly. I'm keen to ride the bull for a while without the pillion seat and hence would like to get the saree guard removed
i am too looking for getting the saree guard removed on my booked desert storm, even if i do not put left stay to it, will it make any difference, since nobody will be sitting back (i will get the pillion seat removed)
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:42   #2205
BHPian

Hi

You guys are trying to remove the LHS Saree guard... I am trying to fit a Saree guard to RHS also . Any idea if thats available ? Feel its safer to carry my small girls with guards on both sides !

regards

San
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote