Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th January 2012, 09:18   #2311
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
will customers be just paying extra or are there any changed/updates to be incorporated?
For people who have booked the CL 500, this hike is translating to an additional 8K or so. I had booked the chrome variant and I am contemplating to change my booking to the non-chrome variant to offset the price hike.

Also, the TBTS 500 comes with rear disc brakes and itís only fair that RE retrofitted the same on the CL models as well since itís their Flagship model. They can then at least justify the price hike to a certain extent.

The Classics have an originality to its design and that sets it apart from the other brands. It's a neatly packaged product and that partly is the reason customers are willing to spend the additional $$$ over other equally capable rivals. I have my doubts on TB500 garnering similar reaction. At the current price point thatís been discussed, TB500 looks ride into the history books as a Limited Edition series
hishetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 10:22   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkrverma View Post
just came from auto expo. forgot my camera.
===========
At least RE should have some really knowledgeable people.
Is the Cafe Racer model officially being developed by RE or is it just a concept that was put on display?
Old 11th January 2012, 10:43   #2313
BHPian

@ Randhawa and other Gurus.... Need some advice

My bike had developed an oil leakage under the right side of the Engine case. Upon inspection, I found this to be from the Engine Packing for the right side (the cover on the Brake side). The leakage developed after first service and was to the extent of a drop in a day or so.

Additionally, I had earlier mentioned that the sight glass for oil had moistness due to slight leakage which I have been ignoring based on advice of gurus.

The mechanic recommended that he will remove the engine case and re-do the packing. At the same time, he also offered to paste "Araldite" around the sight glass from inside to avoid the moistness and gathering of dust.

Surprisingly the leakage at the packing has stopped after covering 1000 kms.

Please advice if:

1. Is this normal in CL 500?
2. Are the recommendations of mechanic on sight glass ok?
3. Since the leakage has stopped, is is best to ignore?

Anyone faced this problem? Please do advice on your mitigation steps too.

Thanks all.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:37   #2314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishetty View Post
For people who have booked the CL 500, this hike is translating to an additional 8K or so. I had booked the chrome variant and I am contemplating to change my booking to the non-chrome variant to offset the price hike.

Also, the TBTS 500 comes with rear disc brakes and itís only fair that RE retrofitted the same on the CL models as well since itís their Flagship model. They can then at least justify the price hike to a certain extent.

The Classics have an originality to its design and that sets it apart from the other brands. It's a neatly packaged product and that partly is the reason customers are willing to spend the additional $$$ over other equally capable rivals. I have my doubts on TB500 garnering similar reaction. At the current price point thatís been discussed, TB500 looks ride into the history books as a Limited Edition series
Please do not cancel your booking of the Chrome just to save 8K. After all, you dont buy a Bullet often and these bikes are meant to adorn your garage forever unlike other bikes which you buy and sell without much feeling

Also, I think the next upgrade for CL500 would be rear disk brake but, at an additional price of atleast 10K. And, expect the TBTS-500 to cost 1.8L OTR

Chrome and Desert Storm both are limited edition but, I doubt if TBTS-500 will become a limited edition and for that matter garner as much sale as the classic version of bullet.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 12:07   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Please do not cancel your booking of the Chrome just to save 8K. After all, you dont buy a Bullet often and these bikes are meant to adorn your garage forever unlike other bikes which you buy and sell without much feeling

Also, I think the next upgrade for CL500 would be rear disk brake but, at an additional price of atleast 10K. And, expect the TBTS-500 to cost 1.8L OTR

Chrome and Desert Storm both are limited edition but, I doubt if TBTS-500 will become a limited edition and for that matter garner as much sale as the classic version of bullet.
Honestly 8K is a significant amount for bike esp when the CL500 Chrome is already commanding 1.7K OTR. I fully agree with you that Bullet has its own charm and i belive a non chrome one has no less appeal. Plus i get the option of going for a 350 since i will be using it mostly for city traffic.

The only thing thats holding me back is the additional waiting time i that a new booking will attract.

I strongly belive that CL series has given RE the platform to take on the likes of Triumph and HD's in the indian market and all they need to do now is flesh it out paying attention to the minutest of deatils and leaving absolutely no room for compramise. All the technology they will ever need is already out there.

I have read a lot of die hard RE fans harping about how the problems that they face with their RE is routine is what bonds the bike to the rider but i doubt how may of them will love their RE's any less if it allowed them to keet that grease off their hands .
Old 11th January 2012, 13:11   #2316
BHPian

@HISHETTTY : the cafe racer retro design is gaining popularity overseas. Also they have redesigned the chassis. This do outlines the seriousness of the company to launch it. The expo stall managers said 6-8 months for cafe racer in India.

AND PLEASE , the DS and Chrome 500 are not limited editions. These are regular models.As such will be TBTS500.

If anybody wants to fit rear disc brake in their CL500. here is the link. The brake pedal assembly is different though. but that is not a major issue as u can get it modified with a little effort and innovation.
Royal Enfield Zone

And the TBTS500 is coming in a totally black matte finish. Looks stunning with black on engine panels, blocks, exhaust. THIS IS THE MODEL WHICH WILL GIVE THE REAL MEAN LOOKS. TRUST ME. JUST HAVE SOME REAL WIDE REAR TYRES.

The TBTS500 have been attached to the official royalenfield website. Hope the launch is equally swift.
anupkrverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 18:25   #2317
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am collecting my DS shorlty and I wish to upgrade my seat(s); I wish to trade-off / retain the standard spring seat and the rear seat with the new thunderbird 2012 split seat.

Could you any of the members confirm if this is a 'bolt-on' job? or does it require welding/fabrication?

I love the color and I do not want to mess it up...any guidance would be highly appreciated...

cheers
Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 14:24   #2318
BHPian

@Invader :: this is a bolt on job.
Old 12th January 2012, 23:01   #2319
BANNED

Has anyone taken the delivery of DS or chrom model 2012, RE people are saying that DS production is on hault. Is it true? If yes, then do we expect some value for paying 8k extra :-)
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 01:52   #2320
BHPian

Happen to come across a TB seat fitted on C5, has anyone tried it here, is it a straight fit? I am not a fan of the C5 sprung saddle, not very supportive on long rides..
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 16:00   #2321
BANNED

Got the official news that the prices of all models have increased by 3% of Ex showroom,
a mighty benefit of 1% to the prospective buyers including me
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 20:29   #2322
BHPian

@cogentr : checkout the new split seat on TBTS500. It is a straight fit.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:23   #2323
BHPian

Hello everyone!

I got my C5 on the 4th of Jan and today fiddled with a few things and am in trouble. Please help me!

I have removed installed the spark plugs a few times by now and today I removed the plugs to show them to a Bosch dealer to get Platinum Plus plugs of the same size. The new plugs were not with him and he placed an order. Then I installed the plugs back and now the bike is kind of pulling back when the throttle is released and moves forward when the throttle is pulled. I got back home and again removed the plugs, cleaned them, adjusted the gap(as far as I could) and reinstalled the plugs, but still the issue persists. I also opened the box where the wires and ecu is present. touched a few wires but not much. What could be the issue and how to fix it?

Another thing I wanted to know is how to tighten the plugs into their slots to the perfect tightening level? What harm can over tightening to do the engine? can something be damaged inside where the plugs go? Help will be greatly appreciated!
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 06:05   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps there is a lack of understanding on my part but you've confused me with your problem description.

When you are riding down the road and you release the throttle the engine is supposed to "pull back" because it is trying to return to its idle speed. That will slow the motorcycle.
When you "pull" on the throttle (which I interpret you are rotating the top of the throttle towards you) the engine will speed up, moving you forward at a faster pace.

Anyway, to properly tighten the spark plugs the best tool to use is a torque wrench. The proper torque is around 20 foot/pounds or 2.8 kg/m force.
It is best to also apply a small drop of a "Anti-Seize" fluid to the threads to keep the threads from locking together due to the thermal cycles that occur as the engine heats up and cools down. Do NOT apply motor oil to the threads. Motor oil can turn to carbon from the high temperatures in the spark plug and if this happens the carbon will lock the spark plug somewhat permanently in place.
Do not get the Anti-Seize" compound on the gasket.

It is also a good idea to apply a small amount of silicone di-electric grease to the outside of the spark plugs insulator.
This will keep the rubber spark plug boot from sticking to the spark plug and it serves to keep water out of the high voltage area.

If you tighten the spark plugs too tightly you can strip the threads out of the aluminum cylinder head. If this happens the engine won't run until you have the threads repaired.

If you don't tighten the spark plug tight enough its gasket will leak. The spark plug will also overheat because it cannot transfer the heat from the burning fuel to the cylinder head. Overheating of the spark plug can cause pre-ignition in the cylinder which can ruin your engine.

If you don't have a torque wrench, tighten the spark plug with your fingers until it won't move. Then install the proper sized socket wrench and tighten it from 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn (if you are reusing the old gasket).
If you are using a new spark plug gasket, after tightening the plug with your fingers, install the socket wrench and tighten the plug 3/4 to 1 1/4 turns.
That is not going to assure you of having the correct torque but its close.

As for spark plugs I don't know if buying platinum plug(s) will be worth the money but if it makes you feel good then go ahead with it.
Shortly after recieving my RE 500 UCE powered bike I noticed mis-firing when riding along at a steady speed of 40 MPH (64 kmph). That was a Bosch WR7 DDC4 Indian made spark plug. People on the American Royal Enfield site recommended the NGK BPR6ES which I bought for about $2.50 (125 rupes?) and it has worked flawlessly for over 3,400 miles (5440 km).
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 13:21   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Is there a delay in production of the Desert Storm models as mentioned by one of the posters above?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote