Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th March 2012, 22:59   #2431
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
The workshop guys were reluctant that i should pay for the plug. And they charged me a BOMB. Rs. 751/- for a primary Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP.
N.B: Just found that the removed plug is a Bosch Super WQR8DC. Now, what the hell was that?
WQR8DC is a Bosch Super plug. It is the plug RE has been providing from some time before they offered the WR8DP as a temporary solution to jerks/sooting/misfiring and is the plug they are providing now with new C5's with updated ECU's.

You cant do much now as you have already paid for the new plug. Try giving a call to the territory service manager and casually ask him about the ECU upgrade and the plug replacement. RE people were supposed to call every C5 owner and tell them about the ECU update and free plug replacement. Then tell him that you have got it done but were charged for the plug. This might help you get a refund or something but might strain your relations with workshop people.

Check your secondary plug and if it's already a UR6DC then you need not change it. Just clean it and adjust if needed.
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 07:40   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
I had a problem with my bike which they were unable to fix and I thought that it was due to the plugs and got both the plugs(one platinum plus and one super) replaced for free. Later the ignition coil was found to be faulty and only after replacing it, the problem with my bike was resolved.
Could you describe the issue you were having which was resolved by replacing the ignition coil?
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 10:12   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Could you describe the issue you were having which was resolved by replacing the ignition coil?
My bike was producing jerks every time I used to roll/release the throttle. A certain amount of jerk is produced when we release the throttle and is called engine braking, but my bike was doing it more than what C5's usually do. Right after the ignition coil was replaced, the jerks reduced to a considerable limit. Ignition coil was checked using a multimeter and it had resistance beyond the defined limit.
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 16:52   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Today, my son's RE Classic 500 Black has got a pair of embossed smart registration number plates. The details are here.
Name:  Front NP.jpg
Views: 6249
Size:  98.8 KB
I removed front OE blank white number plate, drilled matching holes in the new one and used the same Philip screws for fixing it.
Name:  Rear NP.jpg
Views: 6838
Size:  74.1 KB
For the rear, I drilled holes and fixed it using spare bolts that were found at my garage. I did not use the 4 set of anti-theft bolts that were supplied with the embossed number plates.
J.Ravi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 02:53   #2435
BHPian

Hopefully you used some thread locking compound like blue Loc-Tite on the bolts threads.

This will prevent the bikes vibration from loosening the nuts and possibly loosing your new plates.

It will also keep idle hands from being able to easily "borrow" you plates.

Without any locking compound, anyone with a thin coin or a pocket knife could loosen the screws and simply unscrew the nuts with their fingers.
With locking compound, turning the screws without using a wrench or a pair of pliers to hold the nut will result in simply turning the locked screw and nut without them coming off.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 12:25   #2436
Senior - BHPian

What is the easiest way to kickstart a C5 engine? My battery went kaput and I had a hard time kickstarting the bike.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 14:43   #2437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
What is the easiest way to kickstart a C5 engine?
While taking delivery of my son's RE Cl500, we were advised never to kick-start the engine, but to use the electric self-starter. Even the owner's manual is silent about the kick-starting the engine. Notwithstanding the advice, I did try to kick-start, but in vain.
Old 16th March 2012, 15:04   #2438
BHPian

Even i was given the same advice by RE mechanics. Its always better to use the electric starter. The C5 unit is from Denso, Japan. Highly reliable. You better change your battery.
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 19:29   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
What is the easiest way to kickstart a C5 engine? My battery went kaput and I had a hard time kickstarting the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
While taking delivery of my son's RE Cl500, we were advised never to kick-start the engine, but to use the electric self-starter. Even the owner's manual is silent about the kick-starting the engine. Notwithstanding the advice, I did try to kick-start, but in vain.
Quote:
Even i was given the same advice by RE mechanics. Its always better to use the electric starter. The C5 unit is from Denso, Japan. Highly reliable. You better change your battery.
Randhawa had explained the reasons behind using the electric start in the mornings. It is an interesting read. You can find it here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2033398 (The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!)

And I think without a battery you will not be able to even kick start the bike. I am not sure.
datvichrox2 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 01:37   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Of course it is, Honda uses them too. The reason self is advised is, the RPM it generates (pre-condition: healthy battery) is far higher than what we can achieve by a kick. Contrary to popular belief, this is advisable especially when the engine is cold. Correct me if I am wrong, the auto-decomp is engaged only when the RPM is at a certain level.
cogentr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 03:56   #2441
BHPian

devarshi84
My advice would be to buy and install a new battery if your existing battery is dead.

Assuming for the moment that your motorcycle has a carburetor, it still needs to have sufficient electricity to activate the ignition circuit and the ignition coil.
With a totally dead battery, the only other source of power is that electricity created by the rotating alternator rotor and at very low speeds, such as when you are kick starting, the alternator produces very little power.

Although making sure the light switch is in the totally off position there might be enough current to power the ignition circuits but it is a iffy situation.

If you have one of the fuel injected motorcycles there needs to be not only enough electrical power to supply the ignition but the computer needs to go thru its checks of the various sensors before it will allow the ignition to operate properly.
Add to this that the fuel pump must run for a short period to pressurize the fuel system before fuel will be injected into the inlet. All of these take electrical power.

As you can see, it will take a lot of kicking to produce enough electricity to power all of these devices thru their initial pre-start requirements if no battery power is available.

As for the auto-decompression device, this is a small rotatable cam that is built into the exhaust cam. When the engine is being stopping and the engine speed falls below 700 rpm a small spring causes this decompression cam to extend outward, above the exhaust valves cam face (towards the valve lifter).
Sticking out this way prevents the exhaust valve from fully closing during the pistons compression stroke.

Although the exhaust valve is being held slightly open by this small cam during the compression stroke, the valve is closed enough to allow some compression to occur.
Because only some of the compression is available a stout kick is needed to produce enough pressure to reliably ignite the fuel/air mixture.

Once the engine fires and the crankshaft accelerates to above 700 rpm a centrifugal weight that is a part of the auto-decompression cam generates enough force to over-ride the small spring and causes the cam to sink below the surface of the exhaust cam. This allows the exhaust valve to fully close.

On a cold morning, the high viscosity (thickness) of the oil will often cause the auto-decompression to remain in the engaged position. This is accompanied by a loud "click-click-click-click" sound and slightly revving the engine to well above the 700 rpm speed will increase the centripetal force and allow it to sink back to the "run" position.

As for kick starting my fuel injected USA G5 my method is to slowly kick the lever down feeling the resistance as I do so.
When it feels like the piston is compressing the air in the cylinder I continue to push down until the resistance suddenly starts to disappear.

I then turn on the ignition switch and allow the computer to boot up and the fuel pump to stop running.

Without touching the throttle, a stout kick usually starts the engine on the first kick.
If not, I again try to find when the compression stroke stops and give it another kick.

Normally, I use the electric starter unless there are Harley Davidson riders around. (Harley Davidson removed their kick starter years ago and they are very jealous of mine. )

Of course if there are any girls around the kick starter will refuse to start the engine making me look somewhat foolish. Such is the nature of motorcycles.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 17th March 2012 at 04:00.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 11:48   #2442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
devarshi84

Normally, I use the electric starter unless there are Harley Davidson riders around. (Harley Davidson removed their kick starter years ago and they are very jealous of mine. )

Of course if there are any girls around the kick starter will refuse to start the engine making me look somewhat foolish. Such is the nature of motorcycles.
Posting this graph for you people to drool on.. [Courtesy: rddreams.com]
Attached Images

aruncheloor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 14:21   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
With great difficulty, I was able to open and close battery cover and fuse/ECU box. However, I could half-open the utility box after applying pressure. I was afraid of exerting brutal pressure and ending up with broken lid within 3 days of purchase!
Now, I could successfully open the oval utility box.
Name:  DSC05785.JPG
Views: 4174
Size:  107.3 KB
Earlier, my son visited the dealership for collecting the documents and took his new bull to the service station at Rajajinagar. The mechanic acknowledged the problem of sticky doors of the boxes in the new bulls but not in the Desert Storm, perhaps due to usage of different paint. The mechanic opened the oval utility box with a mallet and greased the joints.
Old 17th March 2012, 21:01   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
devarshi84

A small kick for the bulleteer and a giant disappointment for the jealousy hogs
Regarding the behavior of Bulls in front of onlookers, they have this great naughty habit of making it's rider humble.

Quote:
Posting this graph for you people to drool on.. [Courtesy: rddreams.com]
How true.. who ever made this graph must be an experienced bulleteer !
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 17th March 2012 at 21:04.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 14:45   #2445
BHPian

I'm happy to announce that today I have become another proud owner of a pre-owned Black Classic 500 in Delhi. Have resumed riding after 8 year long hiatus, and man does it feel good!

I have picked up an October 2010 model with only 2900kms on odo. As the milage indicates, the bike has not been used much for the past 1.5 years (though the previous owner claims to have got it serviced periodically).

The bike seems to be running well. But due to non usage and being parked in an open courtyard, the paint has accumulated hard-water spots and the chrome bits have lost their sheen (tiny bits of rust are also evident on some nut-bolts, nothing major though on cursory inspection). So, besides a general service, including complete fluid replacement, its cosmetic condition needs a little attention too.

As an enfield newbie (this is my first bull ever), I am wondering which would be the best place in Delhi to take my bull for a cosmetic makeover (for chrome & paint detailing). Also, i would really appreciate if someone could point me to a knowledgeble mechanic who can work reliably on the EFI 500.

Last edited by Puneet.S : 19th March 2012 at 14:56.
Puneet.S is offline   Reply With Quote