Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th May 2012, 10:54   #2551
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
OT: Aditya, what is the frequency of oil change that you have kept for the Baby Ninja with the 7100 grade.
I change the oil once every 5000 kms. Even then the viscosity of the oil would have hardly changed, no burning smell, only slight blackishness in the oil which is only natural. Was advised by the service folks to increase the oil change interval by another 2000 kms but will stick to the 5k interval itself.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 13:09   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
If the engine sounds like it is quitting when the motorcycle is driven over a pot hole or some other severe bump the cause may be due to the sidestand safety switch.

The new RE's have incorporated a safety switch into the sidestand so that when it is deployed it is impossible for the engine to start or run.
They never deployed the Side stand safety switch on Indian models, to cut cost. :( sad to see RE compromising safety over a few hundred Rs.

Also, Indian models are deprived of lembda sensor, which adds to the agony of misfires, lean/ rich mixtures, jerks etc.

Quote:
Some questions for anyone from Bangalore:
- Where is the nearest place from Indiranagar that I can buy tools and parts to service the bike (oil, fuel injector cleaner, cables etc..)
- I also plan on exploring the south over the weekends as much as possible, do let me know if you know of any fellow riders that are doing the same.
You have the Teknik sales and service place on CMH road, very close to indiranagar, but not sure if you will get all you require. Best place would be to visit JC road about 15 odd kms from indiranagar. There, you find most of the tools/parts for REs. Look for a shop called Sandhaya Spares, on JC road, they specialize in RE parts. Ask the guy there about tools for RE and he would direct you to a few tools shop closeby. SHivaji nagar is another option where u have a few shops dealing with RE spares, but not as varied as JC road.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 7th May 2012 at 13:11.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 16:57   #2553
BHPian

Anyone used NGK Iridium Plugs in the 500? The come in a set of 2 for replacement of both OEM plugs.

Please provide feedback.

Does anyone know how do they compare with Bosch Platinum / Plus? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 7th May 2012 at 16:59.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 17:06   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Anyone used NGK Iridium Plugs in the 500? The come in a set of 2 for replacement of both OEM plugs.

Please provide feedback.

Does anyone know how do they compare with Bosch Platinum / Plus? Any feedback would be appreciated.
I used both the NGK and as of last week the Bosch Platinum. The Platinum feels a lot more smoother than my NGK plugs. Still quite a few kms to ride before I can conclusively say which is better though.
adises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 11:18   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
I used both the NGK and as of last week the Bosch Platinum. The Platinum feels a lot more smoother than my NGK plugs. Still quite a few kms to ride before I can conclusively say which is better though.
Can someone please help me with various plug options and their part numbers? I could not find them in the links and hence if that is available in any other post in the forum, kindly guide me. Thanks much.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 16:21   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Hi GreaseMonk

One of my uncles is the second largest dealer of Bosch parts in my state and the state distributor of Bosch Car Service i.e. they allot and control all the Bosch Car Service centers. My uncle ordered WR8DP plugs for me. Minimum order is for 20 plugs. I have 2 new plugs lying with me and one running in my bike. I gave rest 17 plugs to RE workshop in my city as they also dont have these plugs with them. If you have some friends in Jaipur, I cam give a plug to them. Alternate would be to look for a NGK platinum plug.
Thank you very much for the offer Iron.Head! Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Jaipur or heading there for the holidays!

If you are willing to ship them, I would be happy to cover all the expenses involved. Hit me up with a PM if you're up for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The regular NGK BPR6ES spark plug is working very well in my fuel injected UCE 500cc G5.

It solved the occasional missing problem I was having with the factory Bosch plug.
After running it for over 2000 miles (3220 km) the electrodes and center insulator look as good as the day I installed it.
Thanks for your feedback Jim, however, I'm not sure if you having a lambda sensor affects the choice of plugs that apply to you? Or fuel quality, or ambient temperature (however, if you're in Az, I suspect its a lot like Chennai anyway!)
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 04:53   #2557
BHPian

Yes, my motorcycle has the lambda (O2) sensor.
Several other people are using the NGK BPR7ES plug in their iron barrels and AVL's with success. The 7 indicates it is one step cooler than the 6 I am using and I assume it is because their cylinder heads are running slightly hotter than mine.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 09:25   #2558
BHPian

Hello all,

I am planning for a long trip which will be 3500 kms in total. I would like to know what are the tools and spares that I should carry with me during this trip. I have a classic 500 chrome (Oct 2011) which has done 3500 kms as of today.

I have with me what comes as a default toolkit from RE but I guess that is not sufficient. Also I wish they provided tubeless tyres which would save us from punctures.
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 10:06   #2559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Also I wish they provided tubeless tyres which would save us from punctures.
AFAIK a tyre which never gets punctured is yet to be invented. Watch out for thread on tubeless vs tubed tyres to clear your misconceptions.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 00:37   #2560
Senior - BHPian

any updates on ECU's or mods post feb2012 manufactures?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 16:43   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
any updates on ECU's or mods post feb2012 manufactures?
As far as I know there haven't been any updates since they released the Desert Storm and Classic Chrome.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:47   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Can someone please help me with various plug options and their part numbers? I could not find them in the links and hence if that is available in any other post in the forum, kindly guide me. Thanks much.
Bosch WR8DP platinum plus is what Royal Enfield now installs as the primary plug, it works quite well. If you search this thread for the keywords "spark plug" you will see quite a few posts by people who have experimented with different plugs.

If your bike is an older model I suggest you get the ECU updated as it is supposed to solve the issue of spark plugs fouling quickly.
Old 11th May 2012, 23:46   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Bosch WR8DP platinum plus is what Royal Enfield now installs as the primary plug, it works quite well. If you search this thread for the keywords "spark plug" you will see quite a few posts by people who have experimented with different plugs.

If your bike is an older model I suggest you get the ECU updated as it is supposed to solve the issue of spark plugs fouling quickly.
Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP was a temporary solution to the jerks/misfiring issue when the remap was not done by RE. NO new UCE 500's are coming with WR8DP as it is not needed anymore with the new mapping. WR8DP was only provided via camps/REWorkshop and was never provided from the factory.

Please follow these instructions if using WR8DP-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post

Special Installation guide from RE- yes kid you not.

It's a word to word instructions copy so please keep profanity at bay. I izz not be be blamed for this tedious guide and rest.

Things to be taken care of while fitting the new WR8DC Platinum Plus spark plug

1) Remove booth spark plugs
2) Add one additional washer in UR6DC spark plug(no need of replacement) use only spark plug washer which can be reused from any damaged UR6DC
3) Apply the kick 4-5 times
4) Remove the +ve terminal from battery
5) Put ignition key in on position
6) Apply the all electrical function 4-5 times like horn, head light, indicators, front & rear brake light & electrical starter
7) Fit the booth spark plug (WR8DP & UR6DC)
8) Apply the kick 4-5 times
9 Re connect the battery terminal
10) Start the vehicle and put in ideal RPM for 1-2min.
Using a platinum plus plug has no advantage other than it lasts longer and needs no adjustment/cleaning. Any misfiring/jerking/etc issue with C5 is not due to use of stock plug and has to be fixed accordingly. C5 does not like to be used for short rides and at very slow speeds. A warm up during winters helps to keep the plugs clean.
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 00:02   #2564
BHPian

Can i fir Osram Night Breaker on my DS500 ? Do i have to use any relay for that.Please let me know if anyone has fitted it the model number of it.
bikham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 01:53   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikham View Post
Can i fir Osram Night Breaker on my DS500 ? Do i have to use any relay for that.Please let me know if anyone has fitted it the model number of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
ALso, bought and installed PHILIPS X-treme POWER halogen as main head light.

Options available were:
philips Xtreme power - cost - Rs 750 (for a single, comes in a dual pack, for cars)
Osram Night breaker - cost - Rs 900

Went for philips, as it sounded more familiar as a brand.
Will test the light tonight, and share feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
You made a good choice by going for the Philips, I have bad experience with the Osram halogens. The bulbs get blackened from inside and reduce visibility.
I hope this helps you! I don't think a relay is needed but Nasirkaka might be able to help here.

Last edited by iron.head : 15th May 2012 at 01:54.
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote