Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th May 2012, 04:00   #2566
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

As long as you get the same 55W/60W rated bulb, you won't need a relay.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 09:21   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikham View Post
Can i fir Osram Night Breaker on my DS500 ? Do i have to use any relay for that.Please let me know if anyone has fitted it the model number of it.
Osram has improved a lot in the recent times, especially Night breaker series which is made in Germany. I have been using Osram Night breakers in all the cars (Civic and i10 currently - Getz and Lancer previously) and they last almost for the life of the vehicle. Their plain Halogens had a problem in the past and hence never were a success.

I have Osram Night breaker Chrome 500 for over 6 months and it is working well. No relay needed. Just replace the existing bulb.

H4 is what you need.

Philips Extreme is as good but is a little more whiter and closer to 5000 K. Whereas Osram is around 4300 K. While Philips is pleasing to eye and bright in close quarters, visibility at long distance and in foggy weather is poorer. Philips too lasts almost a lifetime.

Take your pick.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 15th May 2012 at 09:23.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 09:33   #2568
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I got delivery of my DS500 on 12th May and I have clocked around 90 kms on the odo. Checked everything in the PDI list as mentioned by Randhawa Sir. Also got the upswept exhaust fitted from day 1. The bull is running brilliantly and I have some minor concerns:

1. There are minor jerks while deceleration. Is it a common issue?
2. There are vibrations during low speed riding. These vibrations tend to smoothen up with speed.
3. The RVM's vibrate to some extent.
4. There is a tick-tick noise whenever I start the bike. How do I resolve it? I have read about it in this thread but I would like to know in detail about how to deal with the noise.
5. Does leaving the bike idle for a minute after starting every morning resolve the tick-tick sound?
6. The fuel economy of the bike has been around 20 kpl. Any inputs to improve it further? I have been riding it at sedate speeds of 40-50 kph during the run-in.

This is my first Bullet so please bear with my stupid questions.

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase and the DS500 is a looker. The thump is lovely. The torque is humongous and it is a great feeling to ride the Bull in open roads.
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 12:46   #2569
BHPian

@//M:

My advice to you, "stop looking at your bike through a microscope, just because its a Bullet" If it is running well and returning a descent mileage, there is every chance the bike is running well. Secondly if you read this thread you will find answers to all your queries.

From what I gather, your bike is absolutely normal, except for the mileage, which should be 20-25 % better. Try to running in your motorcycle on more open roads, as riding at 40-50 in top 2 gears is not a very good idea, as it lugs the engine. The idea is to keep the RPMs low but run at a speed that is appropriate for each gear, so that the engine runs cool initially and the internal parts mate well !

Note from Support - Post edited. Please avoid posting in bold text.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th May 2012 at 11:37.
bradhey is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 22:25   #2570
BHPian

In addition to Bradhey's points:
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
1. There are minor jerks while deceleration. Is it a common issue?
2. There are vibrations during low speed riding. These vibrations tend to smoothen up with speed.
Points 1 & 2: Welcome to the world of amateur fuel injection.

Quote:
3. The RVM's vibrate to some extent.
Bullets vibrate like mad. Mirrors will be the least of your concerns in the long run Just ensure that you ask the service guys to tighten EVERYTHING EVERY service.

Quote:
4. There is a tick-tick noise whenever I start the bike. How do I resolve it? I have read about it in this thread but I would like to know in detail about how to deal with the noise.
The ticking is from the auto-decomp. Essentially when the bike's idling is too low, it opens the decomp valve to prevent the bike from turning off. I believe it is the auto-decomp mechanism which causes the ticking. Nothing to be worried about.

Quote:
5. Does leaving the bike idle for a minute after starting every morning resolve the tick-tick sound?
As you idle the bike when you start it for the first time in the day, oil is spread out through the system and the engine starts to warm up. It gets to a point where it idles at a sufficient speed for the auto-decomp to disengage, hence stopping the ticking noise. Again, all normal behaviour. If you mention this in the service station, all they will likely do is increase your idling.
GreaseMonk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 22:35   #2571
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot bradhey and GreaseMonk for the valuable inputs.

I have another query. While filling up petrol, drops of petrol tend to spread in the fuel tank. Will this affect the matte paint of the Desert Storm? I wiped off these drops today with a wet cloth cautiously without rubbing the paint and then did the same with a dry cloth over the affected area. Is it the correct process or should I resort to some other measure to retain the original matte finish in the long run?
//M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 09:00   #2572
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
H4 is what you need.
Philips Extreme is as good but is a little more whiter and closer to 5000 K. Whereas Osram is around 4300 K. While Philips is pleasing to eye and bright in close quarters, visibility at long distance and in foggy weather is poorer. Philips too lasts almost a lifetime.

Take your pick.
I have ordered for a philips crystal vision at 4300k,
it is a white light with a pair of parking light, can somebody suggest that can i fit these parking light in our enfield eyes.

Dealer told me that it is better than extreme, any inputs please
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 11:52   #2573
BHPian

UPDATE-All new UCE500's are coming with Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP as the primary plug! Verified it by checking a Desert Storm which had come to the workshop for PDI. Could not check if the secondary plug had an extra washer with it. One mechanic said that there is no extra washer with the secondary plug but I could not check it myself. I got my bike on 4th January and it did not have the platinum plus plug. Another nice practice of RE is to use different parts as per availability for installation on our bikes. If the stocks of one thing gets finished another alternate part is used and vice versa.

Another Update-Bought a Bosch Super WQR6DC plug from RE and I have been using it in place of the Platinum Plus for the last 2 days. Smoothness of the bike is not like before. Rarely there are some jerks. Will install the platinum plus again and see if the smoothness comes back.

Last edited by iron.head : 17th May 2012 at 11:55.
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 17:28   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
UPDATE-All new UCE500's are coming with Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP as the primary plug!

Rarely there are some jerks. Will install the platinum plus again and see if the smoothness comes back.
Installed NGK Iridium IX Plug set (Both Primary and the Secondary Plugs) on the Chrome 500. Difference is evident. Much smoother than what was previously there. This is October 2011 batch Chrome.

Tried Stop and Go Bangalore traffic and also Highways at speed up to 125 kmph. Seems to manage without any strain and misses.

Rather expensive as a set but probably worth the improvement. Rs. 650 for Primary and Rs. 550 for Secondary (I am told the Platinum Plus is Rs. 750 for Primary but no Secondary available - hearsay and not verified myself).
Old 17th May 2012, 23:57   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Installed NGK Iridium IX Plug set (Both Primary and the Secondary Plugs) on the Chrome 500. Difference is evident. Much smoother than what was previously there.

Rather expensive as a set but probably worth the improvement. Rs. 650 for Primary and Rs. 550 for Secondary (I am told the Platinum Plus is Rs. 750 for Primary but no Secondary available - hearsay and not verified myself).
Hi nareshtrao

Can you please quote the part number of the plugs that you have bought for your Classic Chrome 500? Are both the plugs exactly same in dimensions? Primary plug that we have is also used in some cars and the secondary plug is used in some bikes. Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP MRP is 250 when in Bosch packaging and Rs 800 now when in RE packaging.

I will check in the local market for NGK platinum plugs in a day or two. Bosch makes the best plugs and a secondary platinum plus might be available or the dealer can make a order for us for the minimum number of plugs. Will check back and update.
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 08:32   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Hi nareshtrao

Can you please quote the part number of the plugs that you have bought for your Classic Chrome 500? Are both the plugs exactly same in dimensions? Primary plug that we have is also used in some cars and the secondary plug is used in some bikes. Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP MRP is 250 when in Bosch packaging and Rs 800 now when in RE packaging.

I will check in the local market for NGK platinum plugs in a day or two. Bosch makes the best plugs and a secondary platinum plus might be available or the dealer can make a order for us for the minimum number of plugs. Will check back and update.
These are two different plugs. One regular size for the Primary plug ans one smaller that is usually the secondary plug. I bought in individual packing but now realize that the same is available in a set for RE CL 500 on PlanetDSG

NGK Iridium Spark Plug : Royal Enfield Classic 500 (Set of 2..

As a set, it costs only Rs. 1100. Details and part number in the link.

By the way, you mentioned, NGK Platinum. I am referring to NGK Iridium. (Lots of stuff available on the web comparing Platinum and Iridium plugs, should you be keen to research)
Old 18th May 2012, 11:28   #2577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Installed NGK Iridium IX Plug set (Both Primary and the Secondary Plugs) on the Chrome 500. Difference is evident. Much smoother than what was previously there. This is October 2011 batch Chrome.Tried Stop and Go Bangalore traffic and also Highways at speed up to 125 kmph. Seems to manage without any strain and misses.
Naresh, I note you too have a Chrome 500. As you know mine is Dec-2011 model.

Can you share a feedback for below queries?

a) What is the stock plugs in my bike? Is it good or should i replace them with NGK?

b) What is the major difference that can be felt between stock plugs and NGK?

c) My bike has done 1900kms till date and i have touched a max 100kmph. Above that it does not seem possible to go as bike feels too fast and a bit of vibration too. How did you reach 125kmph?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:48   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

a) What is the stock plugs in my bike? Is it good or should i replace them with NGK?

c) My bike has done 1900kms till date and i have touched a max 100kmph. Above that it does not seem possible to go as bike feels too fast and a bit of vibration too. How did you reach 125kmph?
1. Stock Plugs are fairly good. I did not have Platinum plus though. Despite, I never had any major issues with stock plugs except missing once a while when suddenly increasing throttle. The move to another plug is more of a technology fascination than the claimed benefits. Though bike does feel considerably smoother now. And further research on the web tells a lot about superiority of Iridium in supporting good combustion and long lasting electrodes. Much better than Platinum.

2. As I said, the bike does feel smoother. No jerks and misses ever. And the speed. However, Pick-up seems almost the same.

3. I have done 1700 in last 7 months. Did not exceed 100 to 110 with the previous plugs. Not that they were not capable but did not want to as the bike was running-in. After 3rd service at 1600 and a change of plugs, I tried the speed and it went up to 125. However, I must admit that it refused to go beyond 125. I would have tried if I had a few more kilometers of road which I ran out of. But I doubt it would have gone more than another 5-10 kmph. Perhaps 130 is the max it can ever go. I think.

Of course vibrations are there beyond 100 but quite manageable. Wobbling has not been there at all as reported by some. This is perhaps due to the fact that I removed both the wheels when bike was new and got the truing done by an old hand in Shivaji Nagar and remounted them. I did not trust the balancing and truing of factory.

Hope this answers. Happy to give more details if you want. Let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 18th May 2012 at 11:51.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 11:53   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
These are two different plugs. One regular size for the Primary plug ans one smaller that is usually the secondary plug. I bought in individual packing but now realize that the same is available in a set for RE CL 500 on PlanetDSG

NGK Iridium Spark Plug : Royal Enfield Classic 500 (Set of 2..

As a set, it costs only Rs. 1100. Details and part number in the link.

By the way, you mentioned, NGK Platinum. I am referring to NGK Iridium. (Lots of stuff available on the web comparing Platinum and Iridium plugs, should you be keen to research)
I am aware of Iridium plugs but they are much more expensive than platinum plugs and that's why I skip them. Bosch makes Platinum Fusion plugs as well which have 4 electrodes but they are quite expensive as well (platinum plus Rs 250 and platinum fusion around Rs 700). Bosch Iridium are even more expensive and I think that platinum plugs are good enough for our C5's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Hi mobike008

Stock primary plug in your bike should be Bosch Super WQR8DC and the secondary plug is Bosch UR6DC.

I have done back to back tests with the stock primary plug and a platinum plus as the primary plug. Difference is quite evident between the two plugs. Rides at slow speeds are smoother. Minor 'jerks' between slow downs and gear shifts are much lesser which makes the overall experience much smoother and better. Platinum Plus and other advanced plugs help greatly in winters as these plugs reach higher temperatures faster than stock plugs and help to burn off the carbon on the tips quicker. So the warm-ups in winters are quicker. RE recommends to replace only the primary plug with a Bosch Platinum Plus which is good enough but Iridium plugs might perform even better. Replacing the secondary plug might not make much difference but you can replace it too with a better plug if you wish.

My bike has high speed instability from the beginning and the rear starts wobbling right after 115.

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2012 at 14:27. Reason: Please read rule 5b
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 14:35   #2580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Stock Plugs are fairly good. I did not have Platinum plus though. Despite, I never had any major issues with stock plugs except missing once a while when suddenly increasing throttle. The move to another plug is more of a technology fascination than the claimed benefits. Though bike does feel considerably smoother now. And further research on the web tells a lot about superiority of Iridium in supporting good combustion and long lasting electrodes. Much better than Platinum.
Though I am aware of folks changing their sparkplugs in cars with Iridium but, never could manage to find out if there was any marginal increase in their performance, as such replacements were part of many other mods including customized air-intakes, re-maps etc so couldnt really make out the difference of iridium spark plugs improvement in isolation

Thanks for the feedback, I reckon will try NGK soon myself as 1100bucks for a smoother ride isnt too expensive. Besides, if it doesnt work too well, can always go back to stock plugs

Quote:
Stock primary plug in your bike should be Bosch Super WQR8DC and the secondary plug is Bosch UR6DC.

I have done back to back tests with the stock primary plug and a platinum plus as the primary plug. Difference is quite evident between the two plugs. Rides at slow speeds are smoother. Minor 'jerks' between slow downs and gear shifts are much lesser which makes the overall experience much smoother and better. Platinum Plus and other advanced plugs help greatly in winters as these plugs reach higher temperatures faster than stock plugs and help to burn off the carbon on the tips quicker. So the warm-ups in winters are quicker.
Thanks IronHead. So your feedback clearly states the following

Bosch is just fine C5--> Platinum Plus are better than Bosch--> NGK Iridium would be even better.

Nice! So i reckon it makes sense to jump from fine to even better for a smoother ride

Let me go for it in my next service ( 3000kms) which should be due in July-2012

P.S: Do I source the plugs from PlanetDSG or its available off the shelf in automative spare parts shops?

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th May 2012 at 14:37.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote