Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd August 2012, 16:41   #2671
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Is it right to do so? Won't it affect the overall paint quality of the fuel tank if I peel of paint bits? Won't there be any rusting issues?

Nope absolutely not. the pant will go off only from RIM. rest of the paint will be intact. this problem happened to me after 2 months of ownership. i insisted on replacing fuel tank. but they showed me few bikes in service center. All had the same problem. hence i removed the paint and till now there are no signs of rust.
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:00   #2672
Senior - BHPian

If the bike is cleaned regularly with a damp cloth (not wet) and let to dry in the sun, rust should not be an issue. I see some nuts with orange hue on them but nothing that cannot be taken care of.

You can use a little oil/grease on these small places to keep rust at bay.

As far as paint bits falling in the tank, this has happened on my Yezdi as well as P180 but not Adreno because it had a chrome lining around it. Shouldn't be an issue but make sure you remove it. If the paint outside of the cap starting coming out, you should go for a replacement.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 18:41   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
I just came across your post, do not worry the spark Plugs used to foul up big time on the CI 500's too .. The Factory Engineers spent almost a year on my CI500 trying to find out the exact problem.

Abbu the mechanic (Mulund link Rd.) finally fixed the issue for me for a mere 100 Rs.
And how did he fix it for a mere 100 Rs. DO share the secret
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 10:48   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
And how did he fix it for a mere 100 Rs. DO share the secret
From what I remember, the needle in the float chamber was at an incorrect position, cannot remember if it was higher or lower. That was fix one 1.

The second fix was on the timing, I think it was far too advanced b'cos of which the bend pipe was also discolored.

The third fix was the fuel air mixture screw setting.

The other fix was that the Dummy Air box had a leakage, the water from the daily wash used to get into the Air filter to carburetor stream which used to cause the fuel air mix to foul up.

simple eh.!
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 12:13   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
From what I remember, the needle in the float chamber was at an incorrect position, cannot remember if it was higher or lower. That was fix one 1.

The second fix was on the timing, I think it was far too advanced b'cos of which the bend pipe was also discolored.

The third fix was the fuel air mixture screw setting.

The other fix was that the Dummy Air box had a leakage, the water from the daily wash used to get into the Air filter to carburetor stream which used to cause the fuel air mix to foul up.

simple eh.!
Good old days with simpler technology, where we had those options to play around with.

The C5s with all its injectors, ECUs, sensors, electrical etc do not give scope to experiment. :(
Old 7th August 2012, 00:01   #2676
BHPian

Tried putting metal sheet between bend pipe,Primary plug changed to bosch platinum but i am still facing the problem of popping noise on my DS500.I am using goldstar from SANS.Any other thing which i can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
AFAIK this happens even with the stock exhaust and it is due to the little opening where the bend pipe and exhaust meet. Just put a small sheet of metal(from a coke can) at this opening and popping noise will go away.
bikham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 13:07   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Tried putting metal sheet between bend pipe,Primary plug changed to bosch platinum but i am still facing the problem of popping noise on my DS500.I am using goldstar from SANS.Any other thing which i can do
Dont think anyhting can COMPLETELY eliminate the popping from a goldie. May be a lembda??

Once i even sealed the bent pipe and goldie join using silica gel, but still popping was there. I have switched back to OEM bazooka, and have started liking it. with OEM bazooka,the bikes vibrates less, crisper throttle response, and i can twist the throttle nicely without creating a ruccus and waking the entire neighborhood. Its also easy on the environment with reduced Co cos of the cat-con and also reduced noise pollution.
Old 7th August 2012, 14:40   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Dont think anyhting can COMPLETELY eliminate the popping from a goldie. May be a lembda??

Once i even sealed the bent pipe and goldie join using silica gel, but still popping was there. I have switched back to OEM bazooka, and have started liking it. with OEM bazooka,the bikes vibrates less, crisper throttle response, and i can twist the throttle nicely without creating a ruccus and waking the entire neighborhood. Its also easy on the environment with reduced Co cos of the cat-con and also reduced noise pollution.
+1 to Nasirkaka ! When my bike used to have the OEM bazooka, it was so smooth that it did not feel like to Bullet but a Honda. I could do 110-120 with pillion without vibrations, and it used to feel very strong in that region.

But since I switched to the OEM upswept things have not been the same. Will give it a try, once I find time. The problem with the earlier models is, these need the complete exhaust to be replaced with Bend pipes
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 22:25   #2679
BHPian

I think i have to switch back to OEM from my goldie and make it sound like honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
+1 to Nasirkaka ! When my bike used to have the OEM bazooka, it was so smooth that it did not feel like to Bullet but a Honda. I could do 110-120 with pillion without vibrations, and it used to feel very strong in that region.

But since I switched to the OEM upswept things have not been the same. Will give it a try, once I find time. The problem with the earlier models is, these need the complete exhaust to be replaced with Bend pipes
bikham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 17:13   #2680
Senior - BHPian

ACI have uploaded latest spy pic of the RETB500, & the link to their report is as under:

SCOOP! Upcoming Thunderbird 500 spied | News | Autocar India
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 23:12   #2681
BHPian

Can folks who has used/using a windshield on their RE bikes comment on its benefits apart from the aesthetics, pro/cons?

I am contemplating to consider for an addition ONLY if it adds to highway cruising performance in terms of aerodynamics.

Info on some of the best suited models and the place this accessory can be bought in India?

Cheers
Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 01:47   #2682
BHPian

I can't help you with a source in India but I added a windshield to my fuel injected G5 shortly after I bought it.

It is handlebar mounted and it does a nice job of blocking off the blast of wind I get when riding over 100 km/hr (62 mph).

I used it when I made a trip from Phoenix, AZ up to Flagstaff, AZ which is about 210 miles (340 km) one way.
I averaged over 55 mph (88 km/hr) on the 420 mile trip and was getting over 80 mpg (US gallons).

I don't know if the increase in fuel economy was due to my making very few stops or because of the windshield but the windshield did prevent a host of insects ranging from flys up to large beetles from committing suicide on my body.

In town where I do most of my riding I have removed the windshield (easily done) just because I like the wind blast and it makes my motorcycle look like the old British bikes rather than a Harley or Gold Wing road cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-windshield001reduced.jpg  

ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 10:32   #2683

Hi All,
Thanks for this thread it is a RE Encyclopedia, been reading most of the posts since 2 days. Looking forward to take delivery of my RE C500 (BLK) this week .
Thanks a ton for all the suggestions on checklist and pre rides before delivery will definitely do that.
After delivery would like to change the rear tyre to Pirelli MT90 120/80 18 or PIRELLI SPORTS DEMON ( 110 X 80 - 18"), thoughts?.
No other changes at this time would welcome suggestions.

Cheers
gobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 13:45   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
After delivery would like to change the rear tyre to Pirelli MT90 120/80 18 or PIRELLI SPORTS DEMON ( 110 X 80 - 18"), thoughts?.
No other changes at this time would welcome suggestions.
Have heard that the new tyres on the latest C5s are much much better compared to the old ones. You may want to give it some time and see if it serves the purpose. What is your terrain and style of riding?
Old 16th August 2012, 11:29   #2685

Quote:
Have heard that the new tyres on the latest C5s are much much better compared to the old ones. You may want to give it some time and see if it serves the purpose. What is your terrain and style of riding?
Ya the new tires look nice, I will be driving in BLR. Changed my mind to wait on any upgrades....esp with the hike in price has lightened my wallet.
Will be picking up my bike this evening
gobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote