Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th August 2012, 16:40   #2686
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hi,

I bought a multimeter to check my bikes battery and alternator so I can get to the bottom of my battery draining problem once and for all.

I got a replacement exide battery last month and now it too seems to be draining. While the battery is currently low (10.31 constant) it seem to be ok (the voltage remains constant and is at 12.** volts on idle with a rise to 14.** volts when I increase the rpm.)

From what I read online this rules out the possibility of it being an alternator problem, please correct me if I am wrong. If it were the result of a short in my wiring wouldn't the battery voltage keep dropping steadily and fail to generate 12 at idle?

Could someone post a guide on how to check the TPS voltage and adjust it to the right value? My search of this thread and others says to get a reading from the blue wire and the tps should ideally be 0.6 with an allowable variation of .2 - with a 5v reading at full throttle. I am unable to find a live contact point as the blue wire seems to go into the body. Does my engine need to be on while testing this or only the key?

My understanding is that the TPS plays a role in helping the bike determine the right fuel mixture and that mechanics sometimes erroneously adjust the tps screw to control idling instead of the brass screw. - I believe this has already happened thanks to my ignorance. My bike misfires/chokes if I turn the throttle up too high and sometimes struggles for power - it doesn't seem to be an air filter problem as I tried the same thing with a free flow configuration. The spark plugs too are clean and seem to be properly adjusted.
adises is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 00:43   #2687
BHPian

Your idling and higher speed voltages seem to be correct.

If I understand it correctly your battery voltage with the engine off is 10.31?
That would seem to indicate a low battery charge which could be corrected by using a trickle charger (no more than 2 amp max).

Short, low speed trips will discharge the battery. The battery takes some time to recharge even with the system at 14 volts.

Here is a link dealing with the fuel injected TPS switch testing and adjustment.
When you open it, scroll up to the top to the beginning.

It should answer your questions.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/fo...html#msg119219
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 10:13   #2688
BHPian

Thanks! Will give it a try this weekend and update on how it goes.
adises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 18:41   #2689
BHPian

Guys I want to remove the rocker covers of my CL500 and replace the leaking packing. Could you guide me as to the procedure for removing the fuel tank.
anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 19:16   #2690
BHPian

Ok I tried checking the voltage today by inserting paper clips into the blue and black wire holes. I switched on the key and checked, there was no reading. I then turned on the kill switch/fuel pump, it gave me a reading of only 2.10. However, when I turned the throttle the reading didn't change. Do I need to fire up the engine to get a proper reading?

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right despite reading the thread you linked, will head over to the service centre and ask them to show me I guess.
adises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 20:42   #2691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Guys I want to remove the rocker covers of my CL500 and replace the leaking packing. Could you guide me as to the procedure for removing the fuel tank.
Removing the fuel tank is easy and should take you about 10-15 minutes max.
Disconnect the fuel hose and fuel pump module/other sensors. There may be fuel left in the hose so expect it to spill out when you remove it.

The fuel tank is held in place using only two easily identifiable bolts, one in the front and the other at the rear of the tank.

Once you remove the bolts you can easily lift the tank up from the seat side and then pull it towards the rear of your bike at an incline to get it out completely.

Hope this helps, I've never replaced my rocker covers so hopefully someone else can guide you on that.
Attached Images

Last edited by adises : 26th August 2012 at 20:43.
adises is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 12:47   #2692
BHPian

I would suggest that the Rocker cover packing be changed at a knowledgeable mechanics place or the service center. There are many sensor wires that need to be disconnected correctly (their orientation to be noted for correct connection later). But more importantly, the allen screws on the rockers need to be opened correctly using "only a new allen key" from Taparia ! If not done correctly the head of these screws can get stripped, making them useless. And ofcourse this part is more difficult to find than Gold. Another tip, take a Rs. 30 tube of rubber gasket by MSeal. Use it on the existing gasket by applying a fine film on the rocker cover as well as the existing gasket for a good seal. I have had this issue resolved at a service center. All the above information was shared by my mech.................ride safe !
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 22:19   #2693
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Just got my Desert Storm day before. Could you please advice which petrol I should use? Regular or Power?

Thank you so much,

Deepak
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 17:06   #2694
BHPian

Has anyone tried the Power Tronic ECU made by Race Dynamics Bangalore ? It seems to be really interesting with 5 different maps. Could we have some feedback from users on the forum ?
Old 1st September 2012, 17:02   #2695
BHPian

I had the rocker covers changed during my last service two days ago and now it seems fine.

Also changed the engine oil. Used 20W50 Harley Davidson fully synthetic oil this time and the bike is running really smooth. Went to a long ride yesterday morning and rode at 100-130 kmph for more than an hour. It was a pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
I would suggest that the Rocker cover packing be changed at a knowledgeable mechanics place or the service center. There are many sensor wires that need to be disconnected correctly (their orientation to be noted for correct connection later). But more importantly, the allen screws on the rockers need to be opened correctly using "only a new allen key" from Taparia ! If not done correctly the head of these screws can get stripped, making them useless. And ofcourse this part is more difficult to find than Gold. Another tip, take a Rs. 30 tube of rubber gasket by MSeal. Use it on the existing gasket by applying a fine film on the rocker cover as well as the existing gasket for a good seal. I have had this issue resolved at a service center. All the above information was shared by my mech.................ride safe !
Old 1st September 2012, 17:03   #2696
BHPian

Well here we have 'regular' and 'super' and its 'super' which I use. I suggest you use power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceye View Post
Hi Guys,
Just got my Desert Storm day before. Could you please advice which petrol I should use? Regular or Power?

Thank you so much,

Deepak
anandkenkare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 00:52   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Ok I tried checking the voltage today by inserting paper clips into the blue and black wire holes. I switched on the key and checked, there was no reading. I then turned on the kill switch/fuel pump, it gave me a reading of only 2.10. However, when I turned the throttle the reading didn't change. Do I need to fire up the engine to get a proper reading?

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right despite reading the thread you linked, will head over to the service centre and ask them to show me I guess.
The test is done with the ignition switch on but without the engine running.

The wires need to be connected to the TPS as well as the wiring harness.

In all honesty, I haven't tried running this test so I don't know the fine points of getting a good electrical contact with the wiring while it is still connected.

Hopefully your service center mechanics will know how to direct you.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:54   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Has anyone tried the Power Tronic ECU made by Race Dynamics Bangalore ? It seems to be really interesting with 5 different maps. Could we have some feedback from users on the forum ?
At Rs. 16,000/- (+Taxes) here in India, not sure if this is even worth it. The newer models address all the issues that this ECU does.

I had a telephonic discussion with someone from Race Dynamics upon insistence of a dealer and the only benefit he could talk about is "smoother engine and lesser misfiring". When I mentioned that I have the newest Factory map on my recently bought bike, he said that I do not need to buy the ECU then.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:05   #2699
Senior - BHPian

Got a new windshield yesterday,tested her on the highway for 250kms,no shortcomings observed till now.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-dscn2170.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-dscn2172.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:56   #2700
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Wow! The bike looks just amazing. I personally like the chrome version ore the desert storm. It gives the "Royal" look to the "Royal Enfield.

How much does the windshield cost? and can we fix this windshield to the older version of Enfield Bullet?
bullet-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote