Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th November 2012, 14:04   #2821
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

I am fed up with the friction sound from my secondary chain. Could someone please suggest an o-ring chain as a direct replacement ?
anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 20:31   #2822
BHPian

I am having a weird problem.

I got a new battery last week. It was charged and I rode it for like 1-2hrs. Next day morning when I self start was kinda weak. I rode for few kms and the battery felt better.

Now a days in the morning the battery goes so low that the fuel pump struggles while MIL lamp is on, I use kick start.

I realized when ever I park my bike battery it is loosing charge.
This could be because
  1. Battery is not holding charge (Faulty)
  2. Some electrical short circuit

I tried removing fuse when I park it over night but in vain. Finally I removed the +tive terminal connection and check the bike again after few hrs and seemed better (not confirmed)

I also noticed I get 10-12v when I connect across rectifier's fuse, even when the key is off.

I want to diagnose this problem and I don't trust RE. Because of them I have lots of tapped wires & relay. Do you think my rectifier is faulty and leaking current?
siddharth_menon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 23:18   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth_menon View Post
I am having a weird problem.

I got a new battery last week. It was charged and I rode it for like 1-2hrs. Next day morning when I self start was kinda weak. I rode for few kms and the battery felt better.

Now a days in the morning the battery goes so low that the fuel pump struggles while MIL lamp is on, I use kick start.

I realized when ever I park my bike battery it is loosing charge.
This could be because
  1. Battery is not holding charge (Faulty)
  2. Some electrical short circuit

I tried removing fuse when I park it over night but in vain. Finally I removed the +tive terminal connection and check the bike again after few hrs and seemed better (not confirmed)

I also noticed I get 10-12v when I connect across rectifier's fuse, even when the key is off.

I want to diagnose this problem and I don't trust RE. Because of them I have lots of tapped wires & relay. Do you think my rectifier is faulty and leaking current?
From what I know, a good battery is an integral part for the overall health and performance of the C500 / EFI bullets. Don't take this lightly.......get it resolved before using your bike, else the repairs will be very expensive !
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 03:09   #2824
BHPian

@siddharth_menon
The rectifier has three yellow wires coming into it from the alternator. These supply the alternating current which the rectifier will split into the + and - direct current needed by the battery and the rest of the electrical systems.

The output wires from the rectifier are red (+) and black (-).

The red wire, connects thru a fuse, directly to the (+) battery and the ignition switch input thru the wiring harness.

The black connects directly to the (-) terminal of the battery (and the motorcycle frame) thru the wiring harness.

When you checked the voltage across the rectifiers red and black wires you were basically checking the voltage directly from the + battery terminal to the - terminal.

The 10-12v reading with the engine shut off is normal (although if it is less than 12 volts indicates the battery is not up to its full charge).
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 10:03   #2825
BHPian

Could someone please suggest an o-ring chain as a direct replacement for the stock secondary chain ? The one which came with my bike is not an O-ring one.
anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 12:56   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
@siddharth_menon
The rectifier has three yellow wires coming into it from the alternator. These supply the alternating current which the rectifier will split into the + and - direct current needed by the battery and the rest of the electrical systems.

The output wires from the rectifier are red (+) and black (-).

The red wire, connects thru a fuse, directly to the (+) battery and the ignition switch input thru the wiring harness.

The black connects directly to the (-) terminal of the battery (and the motorcycle frame) thru the wiring harness.

When you checked the voltage across the rectifiers red and black wires you were basically checking the voltage directly from the + battery terminal to the - terminal.

The 10-12v reading with the engine shut off is normal (although if it is less than 12 volts indicates the battery is not up to its full charge).
Thanks,
Tomorrow I intend to spend more time on it trying to find the root cause. I will get the battery checked today for any fault. I strongly feel there is some leak in wiring even when the ignition key is turned off.

Could you suggest what to look for? I studied the wiring diagram and looks pretty simple, all of the + tive go via fuse and I tested once by leaving the bike overnight with all fuse out.

I will open the head lamp case to look for any discrepancy there tomorrow.
Old 11th November 2012, 02:03   #2827
BHPian

Is there any way to protect my fuel tank from getting scratched? I never put my helmet on it. Still, some friends, who borrow bike from me, always do that mistake. Its useless advising them. They wont change.

Is there any kind of transparent sticker that i can put on my gas tank? I mean the top portion. Or any kind of Scratch resistant clear coat paints?
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 04:46   #2828
BHPian

I'm not aware of any paint or stick on protection for your bikes fuel tank that won't cause more trouble than what your having.

Perhaps I'm considered selfish or stingy but I never loan my firearms, motorcycle or wife to anyone for any reason.

Even the best of friends do not take care of other peoples property even if they take very good care of their own things.

The problem as I see it is you've already let other people use your motorcycle so it will be difficult to say "no" without them taking offense.
I've never been able to figure out why people would be upset when they are told that they cannot use someone else's stuff but they often do.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 10:55   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks,
Tomorrow I intend to spend more time on it trying to find the root cause. I will get the battery checked today for any fault. I strongly feel there is some leak in wiring even when the ignition key is turned off.

Could you suggest what to look for? I studied the wiring diagram and looks pretty simple, all of the + tive go via fuse and I tested once by leaving the bike overnight with all fuse out.

I will open the head lamp case to look for any discrepancy there tomorrow.
Hi Siddharth,

I'm also facing the same exact problem as you are facing. In the mornings the self start doesnt work. i use kick start. the self starts working after riding it for 5 to 6 kms. thereafter i use only self. it works fine. however in the evening when there is more traffic and i crawl through it. after which the battery shows sign of loosing the charge. and finally when i reach home, battery is completely discharged. this is the same routine from past 1 week. i'm planning to check my battery tomorrow. if the battery is fine then i will ask them to charge it and verify whether it looses charge. if yes then time to hit service station again.

OT: i think RE service center intend to meet me every month.
one or the other problem keeps on cropping up on bike,.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 11:10   #2830
Senior - BHPian

@arun-yes you can i have seen sticker shops putting a transparent tape all over the tank,it is called lamination by them.But why lend your bike to such ignorant friends??
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:40   #2831
BHPian

They are ignorant.. Still, close to my heart. Sigh.....
aruncheloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 13:55   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi Siddharth,

I'm also facing the same exact problem as you are facing. In the mornings the self start doesnt work. i use kick start. the self starts working after riding it for 5 to 6 kms. thereafter i use only self. it works fine. however in the evening when there is more traffic and i crawl through it. after which the battery shows sign of loosing the charge. and finally when i reach home, battery is completely discharged. this is the same routine from past 1 week. i'm planning to check my battery tomorrow. if the battery is fine then i will ask them to charge it and verify whether it looses charge. if yes then time to hit service station again.

OT: i think RE service center intend to meet me every month.
one or the other problem keeps on cropping up on bike,.
Hi, I think in my case the problem was faulty battery. I returned my battery for replacement and got a pulsar service battery for the time being. Its been 4-5 days and no low battery in the morning. Everything seems perfectly fine.

BTW I can actually self start the engine on this battery, although I will not recommend this on a 9ah battery. I will wait for the replacement battery for complete feedback, thanks to diwali its taking endless time.
Old 15th November 2012, 16:23   #2833
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I think in my case the problem was faulty battery. I returned my battery for replacement and got a pulsar service battery for the time being. Its been 4-5 days and no low battery in the morning. Everything seems perfectly fine.

BTW I can actually self start the engine on this battery, although I will not recommend this on a 9ah battery. I will wait for the replacement battery for complete feedback, thanks to diwali its taking endless time.
HI Siddharth,

i'm unable to conclude whether mine is battery problem or something else as my battery was replaced under warranty 3 months back if i remember correctly. i feel my battery is low on charge. during this festive week when the traffic density was very less i was roaming around places in my DS, and i started charging automatically. now from past 3 days im able to use electric start. no symptoms on battery dying on me. i have no clue whats happening. anyway planning to remove the battery and give it for charge. the battery folks should be able to confirm whether battery is perfect or not.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 17:45   #2834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
HI Siddharth,

i'm unable to conclude whether mine is battery problem or something else as my battery was replaced under warranty 3 months back if i remember correctly. i feel my battery is low on charge. during this festive week when the traffic density was very less i was roaming around places in my DS, and i started charging automatically. now from past 3 days im able to use electric start. no symptoms on battery dying on me. i have no clue whats happening. anyway planning to remove the battery and give it for charge. the battery folks should be able to confirm whether battery is perfect or not.
If its under warranty then have it changed. If you are loosing charge in 3 days to the extend that you cannot electric start that means battery is not holding charge and this will deteriorate faster.
Old 15th November 2012, 20:00   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Could someone please suggest an o-ring chain as a direct replacement for the stock secondary chain ? e...
O-rings chain is direct replacement but you would be better with the regular chain. Rings are sensitive to lube oil type, they tend to grow & kink the chain. I'm having thrown away the ringy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
Is there any way to protect my fuel tank from getting scratched? ....
Rub-polish down the scratches & spray a good clear coat over, thats the best you can.
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote