Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th November 2012, 12:42   #2866
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Posting this from enfield motorcycles forum:

I saw a picture of the production Cafe bike from the Dallas dealer meeting. The bike will be at Long Beach with Ron Greene.
Some changes from the prototype pictures we saw. No Ohlins, no adjustable rear sets, but the rear disc is intact and there are interesting numbers on the tappet cover. Looks like 535! Yes to a real front suspension and trick looking shocks. Big front disc. It looks fantastic ! The show is Dec. 7-9.

RE has already said that they will be launching the Cafe Racer in India in 2013 and it looks like the launch is getting closer by the day!
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 19:09   #2867
BHPian

OT:

Guys, one of our thread freind GODWIN is been selected and riding for TRUE WANDERER CONTEST. We have all read is travel experiences, and witnessed beautiful pictures from his numerous rides, as well as his contribution to this thread.

Let us space 1 minute to vote for him and help him win a Harley. Atleast one of us will rise above the C5 troubles

Please follow the following link to discover his live blog and do not forget to vote.

http://www.truewanderers.in/entries/finalist/9.html

Mods, pls excuse and delete the post if grossly OT.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 20:30   #2868

Unhappy Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hello to all the people.

I am a newbie here. And I am having some troubles with the Classic 500. Biught it last month. Did 200 kms (over multiple days). And went to a really really stupid petrol pump . next morning as soon as i started my bike and left it for idle, it sputtered and died. happened for a few times before I could get the hang of what's happening. The problem goes away as soon as the engine gets warm and it idles beautifully . So I threw away all the petrol in the tank, found a decent bunk and hoped it would go away. It didn't. Took my bike for the 500 km servicing, explained what had happened. next morning, still the same problem.

Also I checked the sparkplugs at 1200kms. Really black.

Cleaned the up, cleaned out the airfilter, still no respite.

And I can't even say its due to cold morning. I live in Mumbai for heaven's sake

Any help would be appreciated

Note from Mod : ONLY 2 smileys per post

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th November 2012 at 13:37.
adityaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 11:33   #2869
BHPian

Hi All,

Today had an opportunity to visit service center due to some issues with battery of DS 500. While they check battery, something grabbed my attention and after having close look found out that, apart from Off road silencer given by RE, If people fit goldie, free flow or any after after market exhuast, their warranty will be void and engine has no warranty whatsoever.

It read something like this:" Dear customer. RE do not recommend any after market silencer apart from upswept silencer as they may cause immediate and serious damage to your Royal enfield. They engine performance might get degraded. Any after market silencer on your RE bike with void engine warranty. please contact stores for upswept silencer which is available for 3000."

So people changing the silencer for better thump after run - in please be aware your engine warranty will be void and RE is not responsible for any damages to engine.

Be Careful.
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 13:12   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
It read something like this:" Dear customer. RE do not recommend any after market silencer apart from upswept silencer as they may cause immediate and serious damage to your Royal enfield. They engine performance might get degraded. Any after market silencer on your RE bike with void engine warranty. please contact stores for upswept silencer which is available for 3000."
Another tactic from RE to make some more money?? Cheapos!!
3000 bucks for that cannister is day light robbery. and it does not even come with the bent pipe.
Reminds me of a recent incident.
One of M8 nuts on my bike got loose and fell somewhere. Thanks to the vibrator which they make. Went to the authorized service spares dept to purchase the nut. they asked me 20 Rs for a single nut. And the nut was not even gold plated. This is Just for the single nut. Labour amount for tightening that nut comes at 50Rs extra!!!
Same nut in a hardware shop costs 3 Rs. I think RE now a days stand for ROBBER ENFIELD. Firstly they use cheap quality parts, which either break or fall off, or RUST, and they charge very very high price for spares.

To add, one of the matt black colour on the new TB 500 is got a special sticker saying RE Does not give any guarantee on that particular colour. Why produce two black variant, one shiny and one matt, one with warranty and one without it. SICK!!
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 13:18   #2871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaguru View Post
Hello to all the people.

I am a newbie here. And I am having some troubles with the Classic 500. Biught it last month. Did 200 kms (over multiple days). And went to a really really stupid petrol pump . next morning as soon as i started my bike and left it for idle, it sputtered and died. happened for a few times before I could get the hang of what's happening. The problem goes away as soon as the engine gets warm and it idles beautifully . So I threw away all the petrol in the tank, found a decent bunk and hoped it would go away. It didn't. Took my bike for the 500 km servicing, explained what had happened. next morning, still the same problem.

And I can't even say its due to cold morning. I live in Mumbai for heaven's sake

When did you buy your C5? Do you know which month and year it was manufactured? Do you have the updated ECU maps? You can try replacing the primary plug with a Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP. It is available at Bosch dealers at 1/4 the price RE workshops are selling it. Get the head decarbonized if you haven't got it done from long time. Get the engine oil and oil filter replaced too if you have done some good mileage(2-3k) since the last change. Also get the air filter cleaned/replaced if necessary.

Last edited by iron.head : 29th November 2012 at 13:21.
Old 29th November 2012, 13:46   #2872

Post Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
When did you buy your C5? Do you know which month and year it was manufactured? Do you have the updated ECU maps? You can try replacing the primary plug with a Bosch Platinum Plus WR8DP. It is available at Bosch dealers at 1/4 the price RE workshops are selling it. Get the head decarbonized if you haven't got it done from long time. Get the engine oil and oil filter replaced too if you have done some good mileage(2-3k) since the last change. Also get the air filter cleaned/replaced if necessary.
Hi iron.head,
1. Just bought it last month, so everything should be new and updated maps AFAIK.

2. Don't know about the WR8DP, but when I took it out for cleaning, it said Bosch, so I'm assuming the sparkplugs are new. Oil and filter were replaced 750kms back. My odo just reads 1250 kms.

3. As the odo is only 1.2k; I don't think decarbonising is necessary.

4. I'll replace the oil and filter myself and check if it works.

5. Developed a new problem today. Huge amounts of popping sound when I let go of the throttle. I got the upswept @ the first 500km servicing; but the popping sounds are way more than they have ever been before.

6. Tried checking the oil level. It's pitch black and way above the maximum mark. I can only see a small bubble of air at the top of the oil window. Maybe that is the culprit. But the oil shoudn't get fouled in barely 650kms.
Old 29th November 2012, 16:02   #2873
BHPian

Quote:
Hi iron.head,
1. Just bought it last month, so everything should be new and updated maps AFAIK.

2. Don't know about the WR8DP, but when I took it out for cleaning, it said Bosch, so I'm assuming the sparkplugs are new. Oil and filter were replaced 750kms back. My odo just reads 1250 kms.

3. As the odo is only 1.2k; I don't think decarbonising is necessary.

4. I'll replace the oil and filter myself and check if it works.

5. Developed a new problem today. Huge amounts of popping sound when I let go of the throttle. I got the upswept @ the first 500km servicing; but the popping sounds are way more than they have ever been before.

6. Tried checking the oil level. It's pitch black and way above the maximum mark. I can only see a small bubble of air at the top of the oil window. Maybe that is the culprit. But the oil shoudn't get fouled in barely 650kms.
You have the new maps and the new plugs. Platinum Plus does not need much of cleaning, so don't open up either of the plugs for cleaning frequently. Yes, you don't need any decarbonizing.

Change the oil and oil filter yourself only if you are 100% sure about doing it, else get it done from the workshop.

The popping sound is normal, it is not a problem as such. Just make sure that there are no gaps at the mating of the bend pipe and the upswept.

The oil level you see is most probably right. Refill with 2.2L at max. You can even refill with 2.0L but never more than 2.2L provided you have drained properly.

The issue you faced is nothing to worry about. Trying to fix it might screw your bike. Believe me on this. Just give your bike some warm up/oiling time and all will be well. Go for a long ride ride and the carbon accumulation will burn up. If the issue is not resolved after this, then you can go ahead with other things.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:59   #2874
BHPian

Quote:
Hello to all the people.

Note from Mod : ONLY 2 smileys per post
I suggest you to check the RPM of your bike. It might also be a possibility that its been set on the lower RPM then it require. Rest i don't think there will be much issue with anything else.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 18:20   #2875
BHPian

I agree with iron.head's suggestion. Let the bike idle for around 2 minutes in the morning before you start the ride. Majority of the issues like bike stalling, feeling as if no petrol is left will be gone.

In 350 UCE's case, RE advises to use choke (to ensure richer mixture); Not sure what is the arrangement for C5s.

Regarding popping sounds: They are quite normal with REs, nothing much to worry about, but see if you have any gap where the bend pipe meets the silencer, look for any change in the color of the bend pipe as well.
bulletboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 21:35   #2876

Thanks everyone for your replies. Will try and get a few things sorted out tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
I agree with iron.head's suggestion. Let the bike idle for around 2 minutes in the morning before you start the ride. Majority of the issues like bike stalling, feeling as if no petrol is left will be gone.

In 350 UCE's case, RE advises to use choke (to ensure richer mixture); Not sure what is the arrangement for C5s.

Regarding popping sounds: They are quite normal with REs, nothing much to worry about, but see if you have any gap where the bend pipe meets the silencer, look for any change in the color of the bend pipe as well.
@bulletboy: its not limited to popping. let a friend take the bike for a ride today. just a Km or so. After he returned it, popping sounds went up multi-fold. And the engine is making a racket. Sounds like old bullets. Will take it to service center tomorrow and see how things go.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:05   #2877

Found the culprit for the excessive popping. The nuts which hold together the bend pipe at the engine head has come loose. The excessive racket should have been a clue.

Anyways, I'll let the mroning troubles remain as they are and if things get worse, we'll see from there.
Old 30th November 2012, 15:02   #2878
BHPian

Visited Manzil Motors today: the best Royal Enfield Workshop in Gurgaon and probably one of the best in India. They were very nicely equipped and I saw them using Abro and other branded products on bikes. The mechanics were also very competent and I saw them giving attention to the minute details properly.

I asked one of the mechanics about the high speed instability issue with C5 and he acknowledged it. When I asked him if the TB500 swing-arm can fit the C5, he was quite certain that it would. He was working on a TB500 when I asked this to him. Though he said that it one will only come to know after giving it a try. I plan to get the TB500 tubular swing arm but if I make them order a new one for me, it will be a waste if it doesn't fit my bike. Will try to find out some other alternate to try it out.
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 15:07   #2879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
I asked one of the mechanics about the high speed instability issue with C5 and he acknowledged it.
What exactly is this instability issue on CL-500 we are talking about here?

I dont see any instability atleast till 100kmph. It's a different matter that I dont seem to able to push the bike beyond 100kmph due to various reasons ( wind, noise and 100kmph feels really fast etc...) but, i never found the bike unstable

I rode the bike constantly at 90kmph-100kmph for 120kms and it felt plonked on the road.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 15:42   #2880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What exactly is this instability issue on CL-500 we are talking about here?

I dont see any instability at least till 100kmph. It's a different matter that I dont seem to able to push the bike beyond 100kmph due to various reasons ( wind, noise and 100kmph feels really fast etc...) but, i never found the bike unstable

I rode the bike constantly at 90kmph-100kmph for 120kms and it felt plonked on the road.
C5 has much more grunt to easily cross 100 km/h even though the engine has been mildly tuned by RE. Right after 115 km/h my C5 starts wobbling and the wobbling intensified to a very scary level after 120 km/h. I have touched 125 km/h and there was still some power left on the throttle.

RE has acknowledged the instability issue by modifying the fork offset and providing covering to the swing arm bushes but still it has not been resolved properly. Though reducing tyre pressure has worked for some people including me, it doesn't seem to be a proper solution to this issue.

One of the major features of the TB500 is the new tubular swing arm which has been designed to improve stability of the bike after instability issues on the C5. If the swing-arm of TB500 fits the C5, I expect that the instability issue will be cured completely, but only trying it out will tell if it fits and matches rest of the dynamics of C5 frame.

ACE Engineering LLC is working on the UCE500 to optimize it's engine and make it much more powerful than the current state. This will give us more power to the wheels, but the C5 frame might not be good enough for it. One of the UCE500 variants in the US called G5 has not been reported to have any instability issues. ACE had previously launched the Fireball kit for CI500/CI535 and is very reliable and gives almost double the power than the stock CI engine.