Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th December 2012, 16:14   #2896
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Do you experience the dimming of lights towards the end of journey?

As far I remember, classic headlights take power directly from the battery. Since in your case, you are experiencing the problem mostly after the headlights are used, there may be issue with the Alternator. It may not be charging the battery properly.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 20:00   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
... I own a G5 Deluxe, known in the Indian market as the Bullet Electra Deluxe ..
This model uses a frame that is slightly different than the 2009-2011 C5 and that seems to be the difference. ...
Could you pls detail the difference? it looks the same & if not why would RE do so?

Quote:
... If you're riding the Electra Deluxe like my 500cc (or other Electras?), changing the fork oil is simply a matter of removing the two huge chrome screws at the top of the tubes and removing the cap at the bottom of each tube and letting the oil drain out. ...
Does it mean you have old type fork (internals) with new sliders (fender mounts near the top). Iirc this was an export specific item which came on initial Electra-X models. Not wanting to be more , May i ask you to pls post a pic of the fork bottom cap/ nut mentioned for draining oil?

cheers..
Rennjit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 03:09   #2898
BHPian

I suspect your riding your motorcycle at 30-40 kmph in 5th gear?

If this is true, you are saving fuel at the expense of destroying your battery and loosing its ability to crank the engine with the electric starter.

Even in 4th gear at those speeds the engine is barely running above idle speed and at these low speeds the alternator is producing almost no power whatsoever.

If you must ride at these low speeds (30 kmph= 19 mph, 40 kmph=25 mph) let the bike purr along in 2nd or 3rd gear. I think that will resolve your problem.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 6th December 2012 at 03:10.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 10:03   #2899
BHPian

Quote:
I suspect your riding your motorcycle at 30-40 kmph in 5th gear?

If this is true, you are saving fuel at the expense of destroying your battery and loosing its ability to crank the engine with the electric starter.

Even in 4th gear at those speeds the engine is barely running above idle speed and at these low speeds the alternator is producing almost no power whatsoever.

If you must ride at these low speeds (30 kmph= 19 mph, 40 kmph=25 mph) let the bike purr along in 2nd or 3rd gear. I think that will resolve your problem.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Nope. with that speed 5th gear is impossible. I ride in this speed only in 2nd and 3rd gear. its maddening traffic out here. 5th gear and speed of 60 to 80 kms is dream come true during evenings.

Anyway had chat with service center manager. he suspects the battery is not holding charge and wants to replace battery. Here even i think the battery is gone bad since this situation i'm facing since i bought my bike. however the battery loosing charge started recently. let me take the bike to service center and get battery replaced.

Another point is when my bike was running in standby battery i faced similar situation but still the battery was holding charge. let me see. will update everyone with the outcome.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 11:13   #2900
An1
BHPian

I got my new C500 Desert Storm in August this year. The bike has clocked around 920 Kms. till date and is due for it's 2nd servicing.
This is my first bike, bought it from Soni Automobiles (New Delhi). And for my first experience with RE, seek advice from my fellow Bullet lovers:

1. Rust on the Bike

After the first servicing, I took off the pillion seat on my RE. To my surprise, around the bolts to which the rear seat is tightened there was rust, which seemed to have formed owing to missing paint from the area. Rust in a 3 month old motorcycle !! Even an Atlas cycle would fare better than that.
Have attached picture of the rusted area.

My question is, should RE repaint the rusted area under Paint warranty? & if yes, whom can I contact at RE to take this up?

I enquired with the dealer and they said, 'Sir bullet me thoda paint ka idhar udhar chalta hai'. But I'm concerned that over time, this area will decay with rust and I might have to get it replaced.

LHS Side
Name:  LHS 1.jpg
Views: 8325
Size:  88.5 KB

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-lhs-2.jpg

RHS Side
Name:  RHS 1.jpg
Views: 8286
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  RHS 2.jpg
Views: 8361
Size:  86.7 KB

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-1.jpg
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-2.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-speedo.jpg

2. Tic Tic Sound from Auto-decomp on idling

There is audible Tic Tic sound, on starting the bike. I let it idle for a couple of minutes, yet the sound persists. However, when I start riding it the sound is not there. But the bike does stall after a few 100 metres.

On reading through the forums, have come to understand that this might be the Auto Decomp noise, and can be sorted by tightening or loosening a spring associated with the auto decomp OR the idle speed of my motorcycle engine is too low?

3. Also read somewhere that cams have to be adjusted for play after completion of first 500 kms, by opening the RHS engine cover? (The first service was done around 350 Kms.)

4. Even riding a short distance on the bike, my Left Hand fingers start blackening due to repeated clutch usage. I checked for any deposits on the clutch lever, but it is clean, only reason I can think is the clutch lever releasing paint with every movement of friction. Should I get my clutch lever changed?

5. Has anybody found a viable solution to the Mirrors on C500 vibrating over even 50 Km/hr?

I've been searching the net, but am yet to find good quality suitable mirrors that are not too tall and go well with Desert Storm look.
By the way even if I change the stock mirrors, guess the new ones would also vibrate. Any way to avoid this?

Anything like these avbailable for RE?
Name:  Mirrors.jpg
Views: 9222
Size:  36.0 KB

6. Is there any good security device for the bike?

I would prefer something which is not too visible and I would not have to carry it around when I've parked the bike somewhere outside.
I've seen the Xena Locks, is there any Indian option available?

7. Upgrade Tyres

It rained slightly a few days back in delhi, and while riding the bike, I was really concerned about the amount of fishtailing I experienced even with very light braking.
A Tyre Upgrade is on Top of the list before the next bout of showers.

I would not mind a bit lesser pickup, however would want the best grip and tyre to last reasonably well.

Through research, narrowed down to the following:

Front- Pirelli MT 60 (110-19-inch)
Rear- Michelin Sirac (120-18-inch)

Are these a goos choice? & are these readily available? & can i find them at a normal tyre shop?

7. Is it feasible to fit the new Thuderbird Projector Headlight into C500? If not, can I fit a Projector Headlight with Angel Eye?
There are variety of them available in Karol Bagh, any reputed fitter that users have good experience with?

I believe fitting the same should not be a problem, but there may be issues with the Battery charging and alternator current?
Also I've noticed a distinct glow of the Harley Headlights. Is it the bulb is bright or it uses some kind of xenons etc.? Can the same be used on RE C500?

8. Are there any good alloys available for RE in Delhi, something like this..

Name:  martini1.jpg
Views: 20290
Size:  28.7 KB
OR
Name:  Motorcycle_Alloy_Rim.jpg
Views: 13802
Size:  49.3 KB
OR
Name:  motorcyclealuminumalloywheelrims250x250.jpg
Views: 7985
Size:  15.1 KB
OR
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-ozpiega_wheels_gold_xl.jpg

9. Are there any Helmet customisation place in New Delhi, who spray paint the helmets without costing a Bomb?

10. K&N Filter - Is a K&N Filter available that can fit in place of stock RE Filter?

11. Can Brake Discs be fitted to both sides of the Tyre, as against the present one which is fitted on one side? & would it require much modifications to be made to the front forks?

12. Want to Remove LHS Saree Guard and replace with Single Arm. The dealer does not seem to have this in Desert Storm color? Is this a part that can be specifically ordered from RE?

Suggestions welcome for other accesories I plan to add / upgrade:
  • Digital Gear Indicators
  • Reflector Lights
  • Bar End LED's
I know these are too many questions, but they just built up over time for my new ride.

Thanks to all the help from fellow members on the forum.
An1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 11:33   #2901
Team-BHP Support

An1, Desert Storm seems to be plauged with rusting as I have seen almost all owners on the forum complain of it right from the begining. Thankfully, this does not seem to be a problem with my Chrome CL-500.

Those gold alloys would look awesome on the Maroon Chrome CL-500. Do let me know if you find the source from where to procure them. I would also be interested in the headlamp cluster.

Not sure why everyone seems to be so paranoid with the tick-tick sound of the auto-decomp? It comes on for a few seconds when idling and goes away after you start riding.

CL-500 tyres are pretty grippy ( especially the rear tyre), do really test them full before deciding to replace them with fatter tyres.

Btw, when i wanted to go for an early morning ride today morning, my rear tyre seems to be punctured. I mean, its not fully deflated but, seems heavily under inflated. Need to check if there is air-loss or its really a flat

I am little worried in 4800kms, this is a 3rd puncture. My question :-

If its a punture, should i just get the puncture repaired on same tube OR should I yet again buy a new tube? If new tube, which is a good brand and what would be its price?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 12:48   #2902
An1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Those gold alloys would look awesome on the Maroon Chrome CL-500. Do let me know if you find the source from where to procure them. I would also be interested in the headlamp cluster.

Not sure why everyone seems to be so paranoid with the tick-tick sound of the auto-decomp? It comes on for a few seconds when idling and goes away after you start riding.

CL-500 tyres are pretty grippy ( especially the rear tyre), do really test them full before deciding to replace them with fatter tyres.
They're available on an Australian website, but don't know yet where to find them in Delhi / India.

The Tick-Tick sound does not go away evem after I let it idle for couple of minutes. Infact after a short 1 kms ride yesterday, Tick-Tick came on again while I was about to park the bike.

Grippy?!?! On wet surface, it was the worst experience I had ever. The rear tyre was feeling very unstable braking even slowly.
Hope I'm not keeping the tyer pressure too high.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:09   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by An1 View Post
They're available on an Australian website, but don't know yet where to find them in Delhi / India.

The Tick-Tick sound does not go away evem after I let it idle for couple of minutes. Infact after a short 1 kms ride yesterday, Tick-Tick came on again while I was about to park the bike.

Grippy?!?! On wet surface, it was the worst experience I had ever. The rear tyre was feeling very unstable braking even slowly.
Hope I'm not keeping the tyer pressure too high.
Hi, I had the same ticking sound issue. Just got it sorted out yesterday. Ask your mechanic to set the idling speed at ~1000 rpm. This is how mine got solved. Regarding typre pressures, I use lower pressures of 18 psi (F) and 28 psi (R). If you mostly ride with a pillion, you'll want to increase those a bit. I found these tyre pressures to work very well for me.
enfield_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 22:58   #2904
An1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield_500 View Post
Hi, I had the same ticking sound issue. Just got it sorted out yesterday. Ask your mechanic to set the idling speed at ~1000 rpm. This is how mine got solved. Regarding typre pressures, I use lower pressures of 18 psi (F) and 28 psi (R). If you mostly ride with a pillion, you'll want to increase those a bit. I found these tyre pressures to work very well for me.
Thanks Enfield 500, will keep that in mind when I take her for the next next service, which will be in the next couple of days.

Does anyone have an idea if RE is supposed to repaint the affected parts, which have missing paint and a bit of rust, under warranty?
Old 7th December 2012, 06:01   #2905
BHPian

In my opinion, any dealer worth his salt should have a little bottle of "touch up" paint from the factory that would match the motorcycles paint.
With a little effort with some sandpaper or a rust removing chemical the rust could be removed and with a few strokes of a small paintbrush the problem would be solved.

Unfortunately, from what I've read on this site, the dealers in India seem to have more than a few people who would gladly wait for months to get a new RE.
This does not serve to motivate the dealers towards making their customers happy.

Anyway, with what is basically a brand new motorcycle I would think your dealer should fix the rust/paint problem for no cost.
It wouldn't take him over 15 minutes and it would improve his chances of getting more customers.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 08:57   #2906
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately, from what I've read on this site, the dealers in India seem to have more than a few people who would gladly wait for months to get a new RE.This does not serve to motivate the dealers towards making their customers happy.
Oh Yeah, lot of folks are ready to wait even for a year and sometime beyond that to lay their hands on their RE's. Thankfully, I got mine on same day flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by An1 View Post
Grippy?!?! On wet surface, it was the worst experience I had ever. The rear tyre was feeling very unstable braking even slowly.Hope I'm not keeping the tyer pressure too high.
I did fair bit of riding on wet surface and dont have any complaints. Maybe you need to adjust your tyre pressure
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 17:51   #2907

@An1:

1) In an ideal world, they should. I had some issues like that, and instead of letting RE guys come up with the great idea of customer satisfaction, I decided to get it done myself. It's not like it is going to cost an arm and a leg.

5) Some have suggested avenger's rvms. haven't tested them myself yet. do check out royalenfieldzone.com . they have serious collection over there.

7), I too was facing the same problems. slight application of rear brake anywhere in the vicinity of water, and the tires would lock up. Also, in my case, my office parking lot has those smooth tiles, which aren't usually a problem, but my rear tires would spin out if i applied wee bit more throttle than necessary.

Turns out, the only problem is the air-wallah put in way more air than he was supposed to 35 psi rather than the 28 psi (solo). On the correct pressure, everything works like a charm.

2nd 7) I tried a bit of googling for fitting t'bird headlight assembly on cl500. Apparently, the fork sizes differ, and thus cannot be a direct fit. Some mechanic might come up with some jugaad, though i have no idea how aesthetically pleasing that jugaad would be.

11) Isn't the braking prowess of a single disc more than sufficient?
adityaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 14:37   #2908
BHPian

Guys, need some advise/inputs:

the bike is done about 35000 kms and presently is as follows:

* lots of vibrations all over, especially at the handle bar and foot pegs
* bike is become very very rough, especially during acceleration in 1-3 gears
* loss of pickup and loss of fuel economy
* chain touches the black big bracket on the swing arm and some other places as well
* when the bike is moving say at 30kmpl, and when i full press the clutch, i can feel sas if something is touching somethere or something is loose somewhere, with each rotation of some part. (not sure if i explained the issue correctly)
* 'kat' sound from the front end at times, usually either during quick press of front brake, or during quick acceleration.
* the gear shift is become tough/ hard with more number of false gears. sometimes it gets stuck as well. makes lots of noise too as if something is not proper inside.

i got my service appointment in two days time.

Based on the above issues, what all areas do you think requires attention / checkup?

Am planning to get the front fork oil changes, get a new chain and sprocket set, change the disk and drum pads.

Should i get the head de-carbonised?

should i ask them to completely open the engine, inspect all parts and fit it back?

should i just ask them to just open the gearbox and clutch area and check for any issues?

Do share your views.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 23:44   #2909
BHPian

Nasirkaka, your bike seems to be completely out of sync.

I think you will need to do the following to begin with and see how it goes on from there. It cannot be resolved in just one sitting with your mechanic.

1. Complete cleaning of throttle body and injector.
2. Change of chain sprocket as you have mentioned.
3. Change of clutch plates (while you are at it get the sprag clutch checked and changed, if the need be).
4. Certainly go for fork oil change, 10W ATF, 195 ml each leg (remember the top cap of the fork leg which opens with allen key is a reverse thread, i.e. it opens when you turn it clockwise)
5. You may wait to open the head just yet, and use a product such as Seafoam which is a fuel additive that cleans all the carbon from the cylinder......
For the time being this is all that I remember.............yes do not forget to put back your OEM exhaust back on the bike ! If possible get your sensors checked by the RE engineer (with their ECU dongle and laptop).....

And yeh one more thing the bearings on both your wheels..............

Best wishes.

Last edited by bradhey : 10th December 2012 at 23:48.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 12:13   #2910
BHPian

Thanks Bradhey for the useful tips.

I got the last two service done from a non-RE service place. Although those guys are good with mechanical, not well versed when it comes to ECUs, EFIs, and electricals.

So this time, i am going back to the RE authorized service center, knowing they dont give much attention to bikes. not much choice we got. :(

Shall ask them to look into the points you have mentioned. So you suggest not to touch the head at this point. Would it be advisable to advisable to open the engine top cover and inspect the rocker assembly? Is there scope of checking and tweaking some components there, which could add to excess noise and vibes? or do i leave that part as well?

I got the clutch plates replaced in the second last service. about 6K kms back. Now the clutch is become very rough, and noisy and gets stuck half the time. IN the earlier days, it was quite smooth. Where and what do i get checked to sort this out? what all could be accessed and inspected by opening the LHS cover? Not the gears, right? Am running on the OEM pipes only. will get the wheel bearings checked and replaced if required. ALso the fuel hose, as its developed big cracks.

Also last 6k kms, i have been using Wurth 20W50. planning to switch back to the company specified motul, as i have not seen any better difference with the wurth. The main problem is how much of all this issues is actually attended to at the service place, we never know.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote