Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th December 2012, 16:12   #2911

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hello friends and my fellow Classic 500 Riders

I had one annoying problem and would like to know if you all have faced the same problem .I got my CL500 in Feb2012, from the very first day I noticed a very strange rattling sound coming from the silencer( It is a factory fitted straight silencer).It was not so annoying then. Also after engine warms up I don't hear the rattle.
I thought I would get the issue fixed during the first service. Went to wheelocity motors mumbai ( authorised servrice centre for royal enfield ) , Mr patel the owner mentioned that the weld has been worn out and I will have to contact the Royal Enfield territory manager ,Mr .Lotlikar ( you have one stationed at every city ) , called him up he was aware of the issue , seems like this happens to be a regular problem with CL500. He did mention that he will get back to me in regards to getting my silencer replaced ( considering my bike is still in warranty) ,but will call me back after checking the availability ,haven't heard from him after that.
In August I shifted to Pune, then tried my luck here , called up the Royal Enfield territory manager , Mr Umesh , he asked me to come down to their workshop , which is at Marketyard Pune, Dhone Motors, Did not find Mr Umesh there but spoke to a normal service executive , I mentioned the problem to him , to my luck my silencer was slightly bent inwards and was touching the break nut , the service executive thought the noise i was getting all these days was because of this. I still did mention that I have been getting this rattling sound from the very first day and told him the rest of the history .Ignoring the history and what other mechanics had told me , he just got the bend rectified.
No problem found either at the time of delivery after service, but after cold starts as mentioned earlier got that rattling sound again.
Its now getting pretty annoying as its noticeable , I did visit the Service center again and finally the executive did hear the sound I was talking about , and has told me to come on Monday.Hopefully it gets fixed now, have already taken this up with @royalenfield ( twitter handle) . Waiting for an answer.

Also for any Royal Enfield service related issues in Mumbai/Pune , you can contact these people ,as they are bound to answer you .

Mumbai - Mr.Piryank Lotlikar 9833274830

Pune - Mr. Umesh Dinkar Abhang - 9890797014
nikhilmadgavkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 17:09   #2912
BHPian

During the first week of this month (Dec 2013) I went for an overnight ride to a mountain called Jebel Shams which is the tallest in Oman. As the temperature started to drop in the evening (maybe around 6 deg C) I noticed my CL500 (model April 2011) started behaving strangely. The engine kept jerking (going off and then immediately again on) several times and it was really bad. It continued next day early morning too. Only after the temperature rose later in the morning did this jerking stop. Now back in Muscat its riding fine. Does anybody have a clue as to what could have caused this ? Does the CL500 run rich in very cold temperatures ? It was misfiring a lot too at the time.

By the way my bike has clocked around 5600 Kms and I suspect the ECU does no have the latest mapping. Mine is the Indian version without the O2 sensor. The bike came with the old WQR8DC plug and I had replaced it with the WR8DP (Bosch Platinum) almost a year back.

2 friends riding along with me did not face similar issues. One was riding a carburetted RE Lightning 535cc and the other was on the Europe spec version of the CL500 (with the O2 sensor).

Last edited by anandkenkare : 15th December 2012 at 17:18.
anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 12:33   #2913

I had gone to the Royal Enfiled service center today , to my shock I was told that my bike has completed 10k kms , hence I am not entitled for warranty , I have mailed the customer support for Royal Enfield , I am awaiting their reply.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:14   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmadgavkar View Post
I had gone to the Royal Enfiled service center today , to my shock I was told that my bike has completed 10k kms , hence I am not entitled for warranty , I have mailed the customer support for Royal Enfield , I am awaiting their reply.
What is the issue that you are facing with your bike?

EDIT: Is it the same rattling noise issue that you have described above? If yes, then you can prove it to the dealership and the RE manager that you had reported this issue when your bike was in warranty period and hence it should be covered in warranty. Update us about what happens, and if you are still denied warranty, send me a PM and I will direct you to RE people who will certainly help you in getting this resolved.

Last edited by iron.head : 17th December 2012 at 13:44.
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 13:18   #2915

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Just check my post , its just one post above , currently have royal enfield customer care , waiting for a reply.
Old 17th December 2012, 14:17   #2916

I bought Ceat Grip-XL 19 for front and the Sirac for the rear for my Ladakh trip. They were amazing off-roaders but the real surprise was the wet road riding. 4 hrs. of riding in rain while coming back from Manali was a pleasure. They stuck to the curves and I rode with total ease. The Ceat is available in Karol Bagh (Globe-Rs1850). For Sirac Globe wanted a premium (4500 instead of listed 2850) so I got someone to send it from Jaipur through Jaipur Golden. The original Siracs are no longer being imported instead they are now making Sirac street (TVS).
Hope that helped.
Objectiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 23:19   #2917

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
A free flowing exhaust system usually results in a greater amount of air being brought into the engine during the intake stroke.

The ecu sensors do not recognize this change so the quantity of fuel injected remains constant for any given speed or throttle setting. This results in a lean condition.

Lean fuel/air ratios may increase fuel economy slightly but they do not produce the power of a richer mixture. This usually results in a loss of low and mid-range engine speed torque.
The worst case scenario can result in a burned exhaust valve or exhaust valve seat.

A free flowing exhaust system most noticeable change in addition to the noise and loss of torque is a tendency to backfire often during deceleration.
My bike was bought in July 2011 and it has done 19500 km. so far. I had my exhaust system upgrade to upswept after a month (chrome on old one was coming off so instead of getting the original under warrenty I paid RE extra for the upswept). I also got the Bosch platinum main plug, the smaller one is stock (should one change that also?). I got the ECU remapped after the changes. My observations with the upswept:

1. No backfire issues after a few times initially..

2. Did not notice any power issues though could be that I had barely done any distance with stock, I don't know the difference. On my trip to Ladakh this summer the bike climbed the steepest hills and rode through the water-crossings admirably (Ceat GRIPP and Sirac for the trip).

3. The bike has been maintained very well. The running in was according to the manual. Oil changes regular and chain cleaning good (after 10000 km I have taken off chain twice to wash with diesel, dry it for a day after hanging and clean with lint-free cloth, then lube with gear oil and use white grease to seal it). I keep it clean and waxed

4. Fuel injection unit has been cleaned twice after big tours (watched Randhawa do it) and it was dirty both times.

5. The bike has done two long tours of 3000 km. each (RE tour of Rajasthan and Ladakh). It performed well during both. Besides that it has done a few shorter trips (Bharatpur, Pangot, Rishikesh, Sariska, Agra) besides many breakfast rides. I recently did Shoja, Jalori pass which invovled riding for 16 hours in a day (the last stretch was crazy). I crashed the bike thrice during Ladakh trip including one where I flew for a while. So I have ridden it very hard.

6. Before and during Shoja ride the oil started dipping more than usual and the mechanic after opening the engine changed the piston rings and one valve.

After reading about your opinion about upswept causing burnt valve caused some concern. Till now I was thinking that it was the hard riding which was responsible. One of the experienced riders told me to switch to K&N filter as it was the stock filter which was responsible for the damage as it was not doing the job adequately. I would like your opinion and other experienced riders if possible.

P.S: This is my first bike and being a newbie your opinion would be much appreciated. I have been telling folks at 'Delhi Bikers Breakfast Ride' what a terrific forum this is and I have been concerned hearing that XBHP is shutting down - any news on that front?

Rajesh Dhawan
Objectiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 11:59   #2918
BHPian

Quote:
By the way my bike has clocked around 5600 Kms and I suspect the ECU does no have the latest mapping. Mine is the Indian version without the O2 sensor. The bike came with the old WQR8DC plug and I had replaced it with the WR8DP (Bosch Platinum) almost a year back.
Possibly, one of the reasons could be the incomplete system without the O2. The temp sensor will detect the low engine temp and command the ecu to send richer mixture for that temp. The lack of O2 in exhaust does not give the feedback to ECU about the actual combustion quality. bike could end up running rich resulting in popping, etc still the engine temp goes high.

Could be other reasons as well, as it is usually with Enfields. we suspect one area to have problem and eventually end up locating the trouble else where.

Quote:
Keep pestering the RE and Eicher guys. I had similar issue, and after a great deal of fighting, had my injector and ECU replaced under warranty, when the bike had crossed the warranty period. My defense was samw as yours, that is the problem was identified within the warranty period, and was repeatedly mentioned in the free service job cards, and other communications send to RE. Dont give up. RE is become as greedy as they get and are here for fleecing the customers. They wrap the BOSCH platinum spark plug in RE genuine parts branded box and increase the cost by 100%.

My C5 is under the process of a major modification. I am removing the entire EFI, ECU system and going the Carburetor way. Putting in a BS 32, with electrical harness from C350.
Theoretically, going to carb from EFI is going backwards, but i feel its worth giving a try. Some people have already gone the carb way, and are happy with the outcome. with carb, we are in control of the bike and not the ECU. The fuel economy improves considerably. The bike revs higher is each gear. Test rode one of the converted bikes and the bike felt more close to the old bullets. Even acceleration felt better then the EFI.

The conversion would be done in about a weeks time. lets see how it goes. and the good part is the change is totally reversible, so if things dont work out as planned, i can always get back to the EFI system.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 13:16   #2919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

My C5 is under the process of a major modification. I am removing the entire EFI, ECU system and going the Carburetor way. Putting in a BS 32, with electrical harness from C350.
Theoretically, going to carb from EFI is going backwards, but i feel its worth giving a try. Some people have already gone the carb way, and are happy with the outcome. with carb, we are in control of the bike and not the ECU. The fuel economy improves considerably. The bike revs higher is each gear. Test rode one of the converted bikes and the bike felt more close to the old bullets. Even acceleration felt better then the EFI.

The conversion would be done in about a weeks time. lets see how it goes. and the good part is the change is totally reversible, so if things dont work out as planned, i can always get back to the EFI system.
Nasir,

If people have already tried this and have found great results then even i would like to try this on my DS. please update what are the changes required and reliability aspect. what are the cost involved. how many Kms done with this carb change.

Since you are based out of bangalore, can you PM me the garage name and location. I'm very much interested in watching this project closely.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 14:05   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Nasir,

If people have already tried this and have found great results then even i would like to try this on my DS. please update what are the changes required and reliability aspect. what are the cost involved. how many Kms done with this carb change.
RAJITH CHERAIN who is very active on BCMTouring is been running on a carbed C5 for some time now, and hes happy with the mod. Mine is under the process and shall take about a week for conversion to complete. Shall share the feedback once its done. The cost involved is not much clear as of now, but it will be an expensive one (in the region of 20K) :(
Old 19th December 2012, 13:21   #2921
BHPian

Default Caring for an idle C5

I met with an accident recently and my left hand broke in multiple places. Long story short, I cannot ride my C5 for 6 months at least. How do i ensure proper care of my bike in the meantime? What are your recommendations?

As of today, I only start her up, let her idle for about 5 mins, rev a few time, idle some more time and switch her off.
reswaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 14:25   #2922
BHPian

Quote:
I met with an accident recently and my left hand broke in multiple places. Long story short, I cannot ride my C5 for 6 months at least. How do i ensure proper care of my bike in the meantime? What are your recommendations?

As of today, I only start her up, let her idle for about 5 mins, rev a few time, idle some more time and switch her off.
You can lend it to me, and i promise to take good care of her..

on a serious note, u can either plan for long storing the bike ( by removing fuel, disconnecting battery, applying oil and grease at critical joints for rust protection, cover the bike and let it stand for 6 months)

Or there is no other option but to ride her regularly. Just starting and idling may help engine internals and battery to an extent, but even the other parts need regular movement.

and oh, how did the accident happen? Were u riding your bike? take good care and get well soon.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 19th December 2012 at 14:27.
Old 19th December 2012, 14:47   #2923

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post

EDIT: Is it the same rattling noise issue that you have described above? If yes, then you can prove it to the dealership and the RE manager that you had reported this issue when your bike was in warranty period and hence it should be covered in warranty. Update us about what happens, and if you are still denied warranty, send me a PM and I will direct you to RE people who will certainly help you in getting this resolved.
Thanks iron.head the issue got resolved , they silencer was replaced , thank you for your concern , my email to royal Enfield customer care helped.
Old 19th December 2012, 15:48   #2924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
You can lend it to me, and i promise to take good care of her..

on a serious note, u can either plan for long storing the bike ( by removing fuel, disconnecting battery, applying oil and grease at critical joints for rust protection, cover the bike and let it stand for 6 months)

Or there is no other option but to ride her regularly. Just starting and idling may help engine internals and battery to an extent, but even the other parts need regular movement.

and oh, how did the accident happen? Were u riding your bike? take good care and get well soon.
Yep, unfortunately the accident was on the bike. Got t-boned by an auto zooming out of his lane from standstill. So apart from the
Thanks for the thought. Agree that it is a better idea to prep for long term storage.
reswaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 17:20   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmadgavkar View Post
Thanks iron.head the issue got resolved , they silencer was replaced , thank you for your concern , my email to royal Enfield customer care helped.
Could you provide me with RE customer care email address? I need them to find a solution to get my ECU remapped.
anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote