Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2013, 16:31   #2986
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune/Manchester
Posts: 15
Thanked: Once
Default

Somebody please help me get to the post which talks about fixing the headlight beam issue. Been struggling badly to see anything at night coz my beam is just aimimg at the birds on the trees. Time for some diy. Thanks in advance.
RabidBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 09:03   #2987
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Not a single test rider is wearing helmet ! ARAI being a respected organization,should have respected Indian Road regulations.My 2 cents.
indigo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 10:54   #2988
BHPian
 
StreetAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 191
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Coming from a Zma,i have found the instrumentation in the CL5 extremely lacking,not even a trip meter or a clock,installed this today,working good for now,just need a DIY to properly secure the sensors.
This looks cool. Mind sharing the source?

A watch was all I was able to install
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-img_2600.jpg  

StreetAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 13:44   #2989
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hi,

I am an fresh owner of RE C5 Desert Storm.

I am a bit confused about the Fuel Indicator. According to manual the fuel indicator will go ON when the petrol level in the bike goes below reserve level.

However, it does not specify, if the indicator blinks on-off for some time or does the fuel indicator light up continuously?

Currently the indicator on my bike, blinks for some seconds and then goes off for some time. Can it be due to some electrical fault?
Or is it supposed to behave that way?

When does the indicator stay ON (and not blink?).
AB_Cruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 15:28   #2990
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 43
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Cruze View Post
Hi,

I am an fresh owner of RE C5 Desert Storm.

I am a bit confused about the Fuel Indicator. According to manual the fuel indicator will go ON when the petrol level in the bike goes below reserve level.

However, it does not specify, if the indicator blinks on-off for some time or does the fuel indicator light up continuously?

Currently the indicator on my bike, blinks for some seconds and then goes off for some time. Can it be due to some electrical fault?
Or is it supposed to behave that way?

When does the indicator stay ON (and not blink?).
There is no electrical fault. The fuel indicator blinks because of the the fuel moving inside the tank when the bike goes over bumps (or rapidly accelerates or decelerates). Once the fuel level goes lower than a certain level, the indicator remains on. I usually try to refuel as soon as the low-fuel indicator starts blinking intermittently.

Last edited by enfield_500 : 12th March 2013 at 15:56.
enfield_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 16:06   #2991
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,229
Thanked: 6,469 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Cruze View Post
I am an fresh owner of RE C5 Desert Storm.

However, it does not specify, if the indicator blinks on-off for some time or does the fuel indicator light up continuously?
I have the C-500 Chrome. Initially, even I used to be confused about this situation. However, the light blinking on and off is not an indication of any electrical fault but, just an early warning that your bike's fuel is near completion.

As a thumb rule, i fill up within a few kms from the time the fuel warning light starts flickering.

At this stage, I get around 9 Litres of petrol

Till date, i never crossed 9.75 Litres of fill in one-go. Worry of getting stuck on road without petrol is primary reason for my early fills

Using above method as refill, I am getting a consisten FE of 27kmpl in city conditions.

P.S: Btw, do you also own a Cruze???
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 10:08   #2992
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
Somebody please help me get to the post which talks about fixing the headlight beam issue. Been struggling badly to see anything at night coz my beam is just aimimg at the birds on the trees. Time for some diy. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately there isn't any easy way to fix the headlight issue, my solution was to remove all the holders and position them so the dome faces slightly downwards. However, this may lead to the dome popping out or cracking from the uneven pressure.

The export models of the Classic 500 come with proper headlight adjusters, ours don't.
adises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 11:13   #2993
BHPian
 
hexanerax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dehradun / Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Unfortunately there isn't any easy way to fix the headlight issue, my solution was to remove all the holders and position them so the dome faces slightly downwards. However, this may lead to the dome popping out or cracking from the uneven pressure.

The export models of the Classic 500 come with proper headlight adjusters, ours don't.
You need to check for 2 issues.
1. Alignment of the beam on the outer chrome bezel. The glass/ plastic reflectors have been known to rotate out of alignment. That will cause the beam to be aimed high.
2. Your bulb could be misaligned- try with another bulb from Halonix, Bosch or phillips.

regards
Naren
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 11:24   #2994
Newbie
 
nikhilmadgavkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Cruze View Post
Hi,

I am an fresh owner of RE C5 Desert Storm.

I am a bit confused about the Fuel Indicator. According to manual the fuel indicator will go ON when the petrol level in the bike goes below reserve level.

However, it does not specify, if the indicator blinks on-off for some time or does the fuel indicator light up continuously?

Currently the indicator on my bike, blinks for some seconds and then goes off for some time. Can it be due to some electrical fault?
Or is it supposed to behave that way?

When does the indicator stay ON (and not blink?).

Hi Donot worry its not an electrical fault , just early stages of fuel getting over.

The fuel drain is to the rear of the tank and the sensor in the front , the indicator flickers because , as sometimes, usually going on bumps or uneven road , the fuel might come in contact with the sensor triggering it to go off . And once it comes back to the rear of the tank it gets back on.

And as you keep on riding , more fuel is used , after that the light will not flicker anymore but standstill.
nikhilmadgavkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 11:44   #2995
BHPian
 
saargoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 60
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hello,

I currently own a c500 Feb2011 Make. I am currently having an electrical issue.

Upon putting the key to on and switching on the engine button(red) the electrics immediately go a little haywire as the green and engine light stutters accompanied by tick tick noise from the relays in the electrical box. I have verified this by opening up the box and removing the relays to distinctly hear this. It was not there before.

Most of the time I can get the bike to run with kick-starter which fortunately works fine.

I know its electrical related issue, I was wondering if anyone of you had any similar experience, as far as I can see understand the wiring seem to be fine is it failure of relays, but they don't appear to be burned?

Or there is some leakage of current somewhere?
saargoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 01:13   #2996
BHPian
 
ArizonaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, Ariz.
Posts: 981
Thanked: 1,823 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

As for the winking lights, it indicates a poor electrical connection exists somewhere in the circuit. This may be due to a loose wire or poor contact in a switch.
A fuse that isn't making good connection could also cause this problem.

The next time you have your motorcycle running and decide to shut it off use the ignition key only. Leave the red switch alone (in the on or run position).

Then let the motorcycle rest for a while and turn on the key to see if the flickering of the lights is still there. If it is not it might indicate the kill switch (that's what we call it in the USA) has a weak connection.
That red switch is there mainly for killing the engine if the motorcycle gets in a crash or falls down while the engine is running. I'm not sure how durable it is if it is used every time the engine is shut off.

You say you can get the bike to run using the kick starter. Does this imply that the electrical starter is not working or is it just a matter of you not wanting to put wear and tear on the starter motor?

As for the relays I think they are all working. If they were not the engine would not run at all.

While your checking your bike be sure to pay close attention to the wires that connect to the battery. There has been a rash of problems due to the metal connector that is attached to the battery terminals breaking. Often this break is under the plastic/rubber cover so it is hard to see. The rubber cover by the way often is enough to hold the broken metal part together so some electrical power makes it into the circuitry. This can not only cause the flickering you mention but it can cause the engine to mis-fire. If you have noticed the engine stuttering or mis-firing, those connectors would be the first place I would look.

Let us know if you find what the problem is. Also let us know if you don't find the problem so more ideas can be suggested.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 16:39   #2997
BHPian
 
saargoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 60
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
As for the winking lights, it indicates a poor electrical connection exists somewhere in the circuit. This may be due to a loose wire or poor contact in a switch.
Thanks ArizonaJim,

It didn't occur to me to test the kill switch this way will check it out.

About the starter motor, I just can use it pushing the button appears to sap electricity as it appears the current drops rapidly and the enhine on lamp dims instantly, have to wait for a few seconds to get it back, the battery however appears in good condition as main lamps have good amount of brightness and no issue while operating the light switch.

I had that battery terminal connector replaced just a few months back, now that I remember it I can recall similar problems back then as well.

I will revert after I have checked it thanks ton
saargoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 17:28   #2998
BHPian
 
saargoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 60
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Ok so I tried the engine kill switch for faults and there was none.
+ve terminal was soiled by quite a bit of green rust, removed cleaned and replaced the old screw with a new one.

Put the key back, switched to ignition and now the tik tik from one of the two relays is very distinct and the status is same, I can only kick start it. :( have to take this thing back to service center I guess.
saargoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 18:45   #2999
BHPian
 
xydon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 54
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Hi All,


I've been religiously following this thread for quiet a long time now (I actually read the entire thread twice). Thanks to one and all for sharing your experiences and knowledge. I really appreciate it.

Now coming to the Good news. After waiting for almost a month, I'm getting my Classic Chrome delivered tomorrow . I'm really excited and I have the print of the PDI which was shared on this thread (thanks for the excellent PDI).

Bad news is, I'm going on a 10 day vacation; starting day after tomorrow (which means, I have only one evening to ride the beast before I come back from the long holiday). If this was some general bike, I wouldn't have bothered to ask(probably would have unplugged the battery). However, for RE, are there any special instructions/precautions?

Thanks Much!!!
xydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 00:54   #3000
BHPian
 
ArizonaJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, Ariz.
Posts: 981
Thanked: 1,823 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

For a 10 day vacation there should be nothing special for you to do.

Being fuel injected there is no carburetor bowl to drain and if the keyed ignition switch is left in the "off" position there is no appreciable battery drain.

I might suggest that you store your new motorcycle in a safe place where it cannot be seen.
I recently saw a security video showing two thieves stealing a RE Bullet and it only took them a few minutes to overpower the fork lock.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 - "The Chrome Decimator" xydon Motorbikes 17 9th February 2016 12:12
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale Puffdamgcdragon Motorbikes 1173 18th September 2012 17:31
Booked Royal Enfield Classic 500 but need help whether should wait for carb ketan4renault Motorbikes 12 29th June 2011 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks