Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th April 2013, 01:13   #3016
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

See my comments in your similar post in another topic.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 02:47   #3017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
Help!

Well so much for the background, the thing is that he informed me that the new Thunderbird (especially) and Classic (to some extent) with Aluminium engines find it difficult to do the Manali Leh stretch while the old cast iron engines do it comfortably.

Hence posting a couple of questions:
Any Classic owners here been to Ladakh? Please share your experience. Even better if you had some one on an older model along with you, and how did those perform?

Looking forward to answers from experienced riders.
Regards.
I have gone there and conquered the Himalayas on my Classic 500. It just performed amazing without any issues.

Infact on Khardung La, my Classic was ripping off older bulls.

It all depends on the rider, as much as his ride! Dont worry, you can invade them on your TB 500 smoothly.

One of the photos taken at Spiti Valley. Just after crossing Malling nala.

Few more in my Garage.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 9th April 2013 at 02:50.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 07:55   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
Help!

Well so much for the background, the thing is that he informed me that the new Thunderbird (especially) and Classic (to some extent) with Aluminium engines find it difficult to do the Manali Leh stretch while the old cast iron engines do it comfortably. He mentioned that the rear wheel of the Bird starts slipping/spinning and in general it lacks the torque to carry all that weight. It is more of a cruiser and less of a climber :(. Now I bought the bike mainly for a Ladakh ride and will seriously consider disposing off and getting an older model if this is verified to be true.
His advice was to go on the Machismo 500 or even a 350cc older version (cast iron)
Hence posting a couple of questions:
Any Classic owners here been to Ladakh? Please share your experience. Even better if you had some one on an older model along with you, and how did those perform?

Looking forward to answers from experienced riders.
Regards.

Been to Ladakh and done it on both the machismo 500 and the classic 500. Let me tell you, your new engine is far more superior and torquey than the AVL500 as well as the CI500. This new engine is in a new league. People Advise otherwise because they just are not ready to accept change or they own a CI or AVL and don't want its price to depriciate. I own a AVL500. True that its got a charm of its own but its no where in contention with the classic on outright power.

My friend runs a touring company for foreigners and he has about 12 classics in his fleet. He earlier has had CI's and AVL's but he replaced them all with classics because these are more powerful and lesser maintenance machines.

Plus look at your thunderbird swingarm, its a new box section design. This design is known to be stable and very planted. Your bike will not only conquer Leh, it will decimate other bikes on the way! Ride safe and ride hard!

Have no doubts about your bike!
Remember only the problems get reported on the internet, not the good things. So all you see is problems and think that the bike has a problem. It doesn't! Maintain it well. Do timely oil changes with good quality oil and ride it with confidence!
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 08:58   #3019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I have gone there and conquered the Himalayas on my Classic 500. It just performed amazing without any issues. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Been to Ladakh and done it on both the machismo 500 and the classic 500. Let me tell you, your new engine is far more superior and torquey than the AVL500 as well as the CI500. This new engine is in a new league. People Advise otherwise because they just are not ready to accept change or they own a CI or AVL and don't want its price to depriciate. I own a AVL500. True that its got a charm of its own but its no where in contention with the classic on outright power....

...Have no doubts about your bike! ....
Gentlemen, thanks for the inspiring responses! You may not be with me on the trip, but the trip will have you in it!
Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 10th April 2013 at 09:27.
Insearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 20:20   #3020
BHPian

I have a peculiar issue which is prompting me to sell off my bike.

While riding, whenever I release the throttle, I can hear a khur khur kind of grinding sound. It happens most on 1st gear and least on 5th gear. If I apply a lot of oil on the secondary chain it drastically improves this sound. But once the oil dries off its back to square one.

Does anyone know what is the price of the TB500 in Goa and whether there is a waiting period for the same.
anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 20:40   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
I have a peculiar issue which is prompting me to sell off my bike.

While riding, whenever I release the throttle, I can hear a khur khur kind of grinding sound. It happens most on 1st gear and least on 5th gear. If I apply a lot of oil on the secondary chain it drastically improves this sound. But once the oil dries off its back to square one.

Does anyone know what is the price of the TB500 in Goa and whether there is a waiting period for the same.
Only your primary chain is loose. Can happen on any bike. Get it adjusted/replaced and the sound will go away.
iron.head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013, 20:43   #3022
BHPian

Isnt there an auto adjuster for the primary chain ? If I open the clutch cover will all of the engine oil spill out ? How would I know if the chain is not properly adjusted ?
Old 11th April 2013, 23:26   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Isnt there an auto adjuster for the primary chain ? If I open the clutch cover will all of the engine oil spill out ? How would I know if the chain is not properly adjusted ?
Hi anandkenkare

Really sorry for the goof-up! I was referring to the secondary chain in my last post. You need not worry about the primary chain. Yes, there is a auto chain tensioner for the primary chain. If you open the LHS engine cover, oil will spill out, but is unneeded in your case.
iron.head is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 04:28   #3024
BHPian

anandkenkare
I believe the sound you are hearing is the drive chain that runs to the rear wheel dragging on the rear suspension arm because it is too loose.

You can check this by putting your motorcycle on the center stand.

About half way between the engine and the rear sprocket, pull down on the lower span of the chain and measure the distance from the ground up to the bottom of the chain. Write down the measurement.

Now, push up on the lower span of the chain in the same place and again measure from the ground up to the bottom of the chain. Write down this measurement.

Subtract the first reading from the second reading. The answer should be about 51mm (2 inches).

If it is greater than this (which I suspect it is), the rear wheel will have to be repositioned to tighten the chain to the proper value.

If you do this test using the sidestand rather than the center stand to hold the motorcycle, the difference between the two measurements should be around 38mm (1 1/2 inches) because the rear wheel is carrying the weight of the rear of the motorcycle which moves the swing arm upward, slightly tightening the chain.

If you don't wish to adjust your chain, your mechanic can do it.
If you wish to do it yourself, the rear wheel must be adjusted to be in alignment with the front wheel. There is also a required step to reposition your rear brake involved which must be done.
I'm sure somewhere on this forum there are some instructions for doing this task but it is beyond the scope of the posts in this section.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 12th April 2013 at 04:29.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 09:42   #3025
BHPian

Thanks iron.head and arizonajim, but inspite of adjusting the secondary chain the sound still persists. One more thing I noticed is that the gap between the rear tire and the secondary chain is very less. Even my finger cannot fit in between. Also the chain seems to have scraped off very small bits of the rear tire.
Old 14th April 2013, 01:26   #3026
BHPian

Assuming your motorcycle has never been in a major wreck I have no doubts that your rear wheel is not aligned with the front wheel.

You can not rely on the count of the number of notches on the rear adjusting snails to align the wheel. That is to say, if the right hand snail is engaging the pin on the trailing arm in the 4th notch, the snail on the left side most likely won't be in the 4th notch when the wheel is properly aligned.

Many people think the number of the notch on both sides should be equal from the start of the notches but because of all of the tolerances involved in making all of the parts, this is seldom the case.

One way to check the rear wheels alignment is to put the motorcycle on the center stand. Then, adjust the handlebars so that the front tire is pointed straight ahead.

You will need a thin, long pole to do the next part. It should be long enough to reach the front tyre when the rear of it is resting against the front and rear sidewall of the rear wheel. I use an aluminum pole that is made for a camping dining canopy. A very long straight broom handle or something similar can also be used.
The most important thing about this pole is that it is absolutely straight.

Snake the pole thru the legs of the centerstand and place the rear of it against the sidewalls of the rear tyre so that the tyres sidewalls are establishing the direction it is pointing.

While holding it in this position, note the location of the front of the pole. It should be just clearing the side of the front tyre.
If it is hitting the front tyre, or if it is more than a few centimeters from the side of the front tyre the rear wheel is probably out of alignment with the front wheel.

Before grabbing the wrenches, repeat the test using the other side of the rear tyre to establish the poles direction.
This will usually confirm the results of the first test.

If the two pole tests indicate the rear wheel is out of alignment, loosen the rear axle nuts and, assuming the chain is adjusted correctly, move the snail on the side opposite the side that the chain is on.
The idea here is to change the direction the wheel is pointed without changing the chain adjustment significantly.

Lightly tighten the axle nuts and then repeat the pole test with the pole on both sides of the tyre.

If the rear tyre is properly aligned, the pole will be clearing both sides of the front tyre down at the ground by about 3mm.
If it is, tighten the axle nuts without moving the rear wheel.
If it is not, try adjusting the rear wheel again. It often takes several tries before the chain is tightened correctly and the rear wheel is pointed in the proper direction.

With your motorcycle the distance from the drive chain to the side of the rear tyre should be about 32mm.
This number is not exact because of the tolerances in the motorcycles parts and because of the size of the rear tyre but the value should be within 10mm (22-42mm).

Have fun.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 14th April 2013 at 01:34.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 19:21   #3027
BHPian

So I got my CL500 serviced today and also got the air filter and the secondary spark plug replaced. So now somehow the bike feels rough, pick up is fine but somehow I feel it's vibrating more. Plus oil is leaking form the primary drain cap, I got it tightened again in the afternoon but it's still leaking. What to do? Need some advice as I'm leaving for Spiti on Wednesday. And the engine oil level is normal.

Thanks!
cataclysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 21:26   #3028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
So I got my CL500 serviced today and also got the air filter and the secondary spark plug replaced. So now somehow the bike feels rough, pick up is fine but somehow I feel it's vibrating more. Plus oil is leaking form the primary drain cap, I got it tightened again in the afternoon but it's still leaking. What to do? Need some advice as I'm leaving for Spiti on Wednesday. And the engine oil level is normal.

Thanks!
Get the washer replaced.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 23:01   #3029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Get the washer replaced.
Thank you! Will be doing that tomorrow.

I went for a 50 Km ride and now the vibration and roughness has disappeared. I wonder why? But oil is still dripping from the primary drain cap. Will get the washer replaced tomorrow.
Old 16th April 2013, 13:43   #3030
BHPian

A rubber seal had given away in the primary drain cap, just replaced it and now everything seems fine. Also, the exhaust was a bit loose form where it connects to the cylinder, hence the vibrations.