Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th April 2013, 12:57   #3031
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Assuming your motorcycle has never been in a major wreck I have no doubts that your rear wheel is not aligned with the front wheel.

You can not rely on the count of the number of notches on the rear adjusting snails to align the wheel. That is to say, if the right hand snail is engaging the pin on the trailing arm in the 4th notch, the snail on the left side most likely won't be in the 4th notch when the wheel is properly aligned.
With your motorcycle the distance from the drive chain to the side of the rear tyre should be about 32mm.
This number is not exact because of the tolerances in the motorcycles parts and because of the size of the rear tyre but the value should be within 10mm (22-42mm).

Have fun.

Thanks. I too suspect that the real wheel is not aligned perfectly even though I have checked and found that the number of notches on the adjusting snails are equal. I am looking for a straight pipe or something to physically check the alignment and shall let you know the outcome soon. Truly appreciate your insights.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th April 2013 at 18:54. Reason: Quoted post edited for size.
anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 00:28   #3032
BHPian

Another way to check the wheel alignment is to use the string method.

To do this get a long piece of string.
Place the motorcycle on the center stand and point the front wheel straight ahead.

Tie the string to the rear of the back wheel about 100 mm above the ground. You will want the knot to be roughly centered to the tread of the tyre so that when the string is pulled towards the front wheel it is touching the side of the rear tyre without the knot interfering.

Snake the string thru the legs of the center stand and pull it past the side of the front tyre so that this end is also about 100mm above the ground.
You may want to wrap it around the front of the front tyre to hold it in this position.

If you've done everything correctly so far your string should not be interfering with the legs of the center stand.
The string at the rear of the back tyre should be against the sidewall.
The string at the front tyre should be just touching both the forward and the rear of the front tyre sidewall. (You may have to turn the front tyre to make this happen but remember, the front wheel needs to be pointed straight ahead).

Now, look at what the string is doing at the forward sidewall area of the rear tyre.

If the rear wheel is properly aligned, the string will just be lightly touching this forward sidewall. It may have a tiny gap but the gap should not be larger than 3mm.
To make sure the front tyre is not influencing this, move it slightly to towards the side that the test is being conducted on. If a small gap between the rear of the front tyres sidewall and the string can be made without changing this reading at the front of the rear tyre, the test should be accurate.

If the string is interfering with the rear tyres forward sidewall the wheel is pointed too far towards the string.
(Based on your tyre to chain clearance, if you are doing this test on the drive chain side of the motorcycle, I predict this will be the case.)

If there is a gap between the string and the rear tyres forward sidewall larger than 3mm, the wheel is pointed too far away from the string.
(If you are doing this test on the side opposite the drive chain, I predict this will be the case.)

If the rear wheel is pointed in any direction except straight ahead, where the string will lightly be touching both sidewalls of both the front and rear tyre, the rear wheels alignment needs to be adjusted.

Failing to have the rear wheel properly aligned can wear out the drive chain and tyres prematurely. It can also make the motorcycle more difficult to control while it's being ridden.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 21st April 2013 at 00:35.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:13   #3033
BHPian

Planning to install wider tracks on my DS in near future. Has anyone tried this as well? What is the widest set that can be accommodated without major modifications to the frame etc?
somubj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:17   #3034
BHPian

Default Booking the TBTS 500

Have been following this thread religiously, still some pages left.

I have made up my mind to book the Thunderbird 500, from Pune.

Randhawa ji and other gurus.. your opinion please. More from the idea of setting expectations. I was brought up in defense locality and bullets are my childhood dream being realized.

Why the TBTS and not the Classic? It is because -
1. Touring Stance
2. Sexy looks
3. Same 500 CC motor
4. Extra bells and whistles like projector lamps and digital console.

I currently use a Yamaha Gladiator 125CC and prior to that was a Suzuki Samurai 100CC 2 stroker.

That said, I think I know what to expect from a RE, both the ecstasy as well as the tenacity and passion required.

Your opinions are extremely important to me. And any possibility to jump the line for delivery?

Have considered CBR250 and RD350.. but RE is the way to go for me.

Note: Somewhere deep down, there is a slight oscillation between CE 5 (Teal)/ DS 5 and/ TBTS 5

Thanks in advance,
Exhaust_Note (now the handle shall truly mean something)

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 23rd April 2013 at 14:19. Reason: Spellings .. arrah!
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:50   #3035
BHPian

Default Re: Booking the TBTS 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Have been following this thread religiously, still some pages left.

I have made up my mind to book the Thunderbird 500, from Pune.

Randhawa ji and other gurus.. your opinion please. More from the idea of setting expectations. I was brought up in defense locality and bullets are my childhood dream being realized.

Why the TBTS and not the Classic? It is because -
1. Touring Stance
2. Sexy looks
3. Same 500 CC motor
4. Extra bells and whistles like projector lamps and digital console.

I currently use a Yamaha Gladiator 125CC and prior to that was a Suzuki Samurai 100CC 2 stroker.

That said, I think I know what to expect from a RE, both the ecstasy as well as the tenacity and passion required.

Your opinions are extremely important to me. And any possibility to jump the line for delivery?

Have considered CBR250 and RD350.. but RE is the way to go for me.

Note: Somewhere deep down, there is a slight oscillation between CE 5 (Teal)/ DS 5 and/ TBTS 5

Thanks in advance,
Exhaust_Note (now the handle shall truly mean something)
Hi Exhaust_Note

Do you plan to use your new ride for a lot of touring?

IMHO riding the TB doesn't feel like riding a "bullet" and hence I cannot recommend buying it. The only appealing thing in TB500 is the improved swing arm, all the other bits are not essential/significant enough to make buying a TB over C5 a good decision or to enhance the riding experience.

The cost of spares(indicators, headlight, etc) is also too high when compared to that of C5 and a single fall will result in an expense of few thousands very easily.

You can wait for the cafe racer(better/harris frame, new 535cc motor, etc etc etc) or buy the C5(any variant). It is reported that cafe racer will also have options to carry two people and will also allow a city/straight driving posture, but it will also be considerably more expensive than any other existing RE bikes.

I hope this helps you to make a better buying decision. Cheers!
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:18   #3036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Hi Exhaust_Note

IMHO riding the TB doesn't feel like riding a "bullet"

The only appealing thing in TB500 is the improved swing arm, all the other bits are not essential/significant enough to make buying a TB over C5 a good decision or to enhance the riding experience.

The cost of spares(indicators, headlight, etc) is also too high when compared to that of C5.

You can wait for the cafe racer(better/harris frame, new 535cc motor, etc etc etc) or buy the C5(any variant). It is reported that cafe racer will also have options to carry two people and will also allow a city/straight driving posture, but it will also be considerably more expensive than any other existing RE bikes.

I hope this helps you to make a better buying decision. Cheers!
Many thanks!!
Yes it does answer my many questions and unfathomable back of the ming nagging.

If TBTS has only that "one" practical difference then it is not worth the moolah; upfront or recurring.

And, also, by now most of the C5 issues must have been addressed and I see a lot of solutions for the one and only serious issue - Shakira like temperament post 100+

Yes, I do plan to do a lot of touring, but the C5 is as comfortable as any, so I have gathered.

Also, unless a Bullet is a bullet, its not a bullet.... now what was that?

So now, back to page one and a magnifying lens!!

Any idea please, for waiting periods in Pune? And Any solutions to the long and tough waiting?

Cafe Racer 535 is a above my budget. Not important to have a 2 seater. C5 shall be with the single seat attached only.

Regards,
Exhaust_Note

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 23rd April 2013 at 15:19.
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:42   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Many thanks!!
Yes it does answer my many questions and unfathomable back of the ming nagging.

If TBTS has only that "one" practical difference then it is not worth the moolah; upfront or recurring.

And, also, by now most of the C5 issues must have been addressed and I see a lot of solutions for the one and only serious issue - Shakira like temperament post 100+

Yes, I do plan to do a lot of touring, but the C5 is as comfortable as any, so I have gathered.

Also, unless a Bullet is a bullet, its not a bullet.... now what was that?

Any idea please, for waiting periods in Pune? And Any solutions to the long and tough waiting?

Cafe Racer 535 is a above my budget. Not important to have a 2 seater. C5 shall be with the single seat attached only.

Regards,
Exhaust_Note
You need not go back to page one with a lens. I have read the entire thread more than once and almost all of the issues have been fixed.

C5 is not considered a very comfortable ride but it depends from person to person. You can also get a different/comfortable seat which also doesn't hurt the looks of the C5 much.

Every RE has its own sets of issues and you will have to look into them yourself and will also learn a lot in the process. No idea about the waiting periods in Pune but constantly pursuing the dealer will help. Cheers!
iron.head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:53   #3038
BHPian

Yes, I have heard of the individual personalities of each RE. And yes too, almost all possible issues are reported and solved .... what more could a new bulleteer ask for?

I would prefer deciding on changes only once I feel the need. Would like to keep it stock unless necessary.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 23rd April 2013 at 15:55.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:18   #3039
BHPian

Quote:

Would suggest you to consider other alternatives as well. At this point in time, i would definitely bend towards the upcoming duke 390. Here is the reasoning:

* delivery of the 390 starts from june, where as for uce500, you will have to wait further.
* UCE 500 is a modern engine and does not carry the old-world charm of cast iron. 390 is a modern engine and much much superior to UCE 500 with forged pistons, coated barrel, DOHC four valve etc
* UCE 500 generates 27.2BHP from a 500 cc mill where as 390 generates 44bhp from a 373cc mill. much much more powerful.
* UCE 500 generates around 42NM of torque, where at 390 generates 35NM at 7250 rmp, but the real difference is UCE 500 weighs approx 183 kgs where as 390 weighs 149kgs with all fuel, oil etc, resulting in better effective torque vis-a-vis UCE 500. So the torque factor which was bullet's forte is no more its exclusivity.
* 390 will do 0-100 in under 6 seconds, UCE will take more then 10 seconds, so much more quick, easy to overtake.
* UCE 500 will do 100kmph all day with lots of vibrations, and wind blast, where as 390 will do 100kmph all day at mere around 6000 odd rmp. And you have option of choosing a taller screen to reduce the effect of wind blast.
* UCE 500 tops out at 130 kmph (not all bikes), where as 390 will be able to do 160+ kmph very easily thus more miles in less time with less fatigue.
* UCE 500 is heavy and gains huge momentum, making it difficult to stop, were as 390 is got much better brakes with SWITCHABLE ABS, which can be the difference between life and death.
* 390 has much better suspension, USD in front and mono at rear.
* better GC for those off roading days.
* trellis frame made out of molybdenum steel is much much superior to the 60 years old RE single down tube frame, so better handling, better cornering, better control.
Metzeler tyres on 390 is one of the best in business, and would made a difference between a fall and no-fall on wet or slippery surfaces.
* ergonomics: the 390 has upright posture form torso upwards, but the footpegs are slightly backwards compared to a bull. in technical term a better proposition, as one can easily raise his seat (butt) on a sudden speed braker/pothole, were as on the RE it takes much more effort.
* availability of powerparts for touring accessories.

There will be many other benefits if once digs deep into.

* better quality parts for 390 as compared to RE.
* better service as compared to RE.
* similar mileage.

SO unless one is stubborn and adamant about buying a RE product, there are much better and superior products coming in the market, to suit indian city and touring needs. and if someone can spend 1.8L on a RE, i am sure he will manage to stretch his budget to 2.3-2.4 L for a better and safer machine. and no, i dont work for ktm or bajaj.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 14:33   #3040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Would suggest you to consider other alternatives as well. At this point in time, i would definitely bend towards the upcoming duke 390. Here is the reasoning:

* delivery of the 390 starts from june, where as for uce500, you will have to wait further.
* UCE 500 is a modern engine and does not carry the old-world charm of cast iron. 390 is a modern engine and much much superior to UCE 500 with forged pistons, coated barrel, DOHC four valve etc
* UCE 500 generates 27.2BHP from a 500 cc mill where as 390 generates 44bhp from a 373cc mill. much much more powerful.
* UCE 500 generates around 42NM of torque, where at 390 generates 35NM at 7250 rmp, but the real difference is UCE 500 weighs approx 183 kgs where as 390 weighs 149kgs with all fuel, oil etc, resulting in better effective torque vis-a-vis UCE 500. So the torque factor which was bullet's forte is no more its exclusivity.
* 390 will do 0-100 in under 6 seconds, UCE will take more then 10 seconds, so much more quick, easy to overtake.
* UCE 500 will do 100kmph all day with lots of vibrations, and wind blast, where as 390 will do 100kmph all day at mere around 6000 odd rmp. And you have option of choosing a taller screen to reduce the effect of wind blast.
* UCE 500 tops out at 130 kmph (not all bikes), where as 390 will be able to do 160+ kmph very easily thus more miles in less time with less fatigue.
* UCE 500 is heavy and gains huge momentum, making it difficult to stop, were as 390 is got much better brakes with SWITCHABLE ABS, which can be the difference between life and death.
* 390 has much better suspension, USD in front and mono at rear.
* better GC for those off roading days.
* trellis frame made out of molybdenum steel is much much superior to the 60 years old RE single down tube frame, so better handling, better cornering, better control.
Metzeler tyres on 390 is one of the best in business, and would made a difference between a fall and no-fall on wet or slippery surfaces.
* ergonomics: the 390 has upright posture form torso upwards, but the footpegs are slightly backwards compared to a bull. in technical term a better proposition, as one can easily raise his seat (butt) on a sudden speed braker/pothole, were as on the RE it takes much more effort.
* availability of powerparts for touring accessories.

There will be many other benefits if once digs deep into.

* better quality parts for 390 as compared to RE.
* better service as compared to RE.
* similar mileage.

SO unless one is stubborn and adamant about buying a RE product, there are much better and superior products coming in the market, to suit indian city and touring needs. and if someone can spend 1.8L on a RE, i am sure he will manage to stretch his budget to 2.3-2.4 L for a better and safer machine. and no, i dont work for ktm or bajaj.
+1 to whatever nasir has put. very thoughtful.

@ Nasir,

Sir how is your bike performing after carb conversion. Any disadvantages. Now that 500 carb bullet is released can we make use few components and change our 500 EFI to carb.

Did you have any special observation after conversion to carb.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 15:43   #3041
BHPian

Quote:
@ Nasir,

Sir how is your bike performing after carb conversion. Any disadvantages. Now that 500 carb bullet is released can we make use few components and change our 500 EFI to carb.

Did you have any special observation after conversion to carb.
No double sir please.. my name already has one.

Bike is been performing just fine without any issues for sometime now. In between it was feeling a bit sluggish, got the clutch plates washed in petrol, and cam gear adjusted (had become very loose) and also got a custom made exhaust to suit the changes. The bike feels peppier now.
Starts at 1st crank or first kick and idles slowly and beautifully. No high idling like with the efi. I guess after a long time i am just happily riding the bike everyday. Small quality based niggles do crop up once in a while.. like speedo bulb fusing, horn clamp breaking, etc but no real issues.

I guess carb does make sense, and RE is acknowledged it by launching the bullet 500. but again,the conversion is not something that everyone HAS to go for. But if i was to do a ladakh trip, i would feel more comfortable on a carb then RE's EFI.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 16:54   #3042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
No double sir please.. my name already has one.

But if i was to do a ladakh trip, i would feel more comfortable on a carb then RE's EFI.
Why is that so ? I found the EFI to be absolutely maintenance free.
anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 17:00   #3043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Why is that so ? I found the EFI to be absolutely maintenance free.
+1. EFI engines are almost like any other contemprary engines which just wont cause any issues

Iam yet to understand this fascination of carb engines. I rode bullets with carb engines for short periods and found them way rougher than EFI engines.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 17:07   #3044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. EFI engines are almost like any other contemprary engines which just wont cause any issues

Iam yet to understand this fascination of carb engines. I rode bullets with carb engines for short periods and found them way rougher than EFI engines.
For one, an EFI Bullet does not fire or feel like a Bullet. My Classic 500 could most charitably be described as a bigger more powerful slightly more vibratory Karizma.

The other thing is the sort of go-faster mods which come into play with a carb (Bulleteer's favorite toy after the silencer and air filter) that a non-tinkerable EFI does not allow.

Thirdly, and this is not limited to RE, as Bajaj too has been a long sufferer, is the fact that the "budget" EFIs on Indian bikes are at best a compromise between sea level and high altitude performance, and are tuned accordingly.

Last edited by ebonho : 29th April 2013 at 17:13.
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 17:15   #3045
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
For one, an EFI Bullet does not fire or feel like a Bullet. My Classic 500 could most charitably be described as a bigger more powerful slightly more vibratory Karizma
Thanks for the insights. I assume this comment is based on the stock exhuast note of your CL500?

I too felt the same after buying mine and there was no thrill or THUMP that was associated with the bullet. But, after getting a custom exhuast job done, Iam thrilled to say the least.

Now my bike feels at home even amidst a large herd of carb-based BULLS
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote