Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th August 2013, 19:57   #3196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

@Purnendubagchi,

With the kind of ride you are planning and mostly would end up doing, go for the 500. Test ride both and if you dont like the 500 which will hardly be the case, go for the 350 which feels good when you ride it.

Overall the engine is the same and the frame is actually the same if i am not right forgive me in advance.

So the styling part is either way alterable.

My pick would be the 500 for once you ride it and upgrade some sprocket and few minor mods you will start using it everyday
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2013, 20:38   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Purnendubagchi,

With the kind of ride you are planning and mostly would end up doing, go for the 500. Test ride both and if you dont like the 500 which will hardly be the case, go for the 350 which feels good when you ride it.

Overall the engine is the same and the frame is actually the same if i am not right forgive me in advance.

So the styling part is either way alterable.

My pick would be the 500 for once you ride it and upgrade some sprocket and few minor mods you will start using it everyday
Thanks a lot mate. I have taken TD on all the three. The 500 one was perfect
with 350 not far behind. The only difference was that in the test vehicle I found some vibration on the handlebar in 350 which was completely missing in 500. I may be wrong also as my colleague did not feel anything like that. In electra I somehow missed the thump. Will have TD once again tom. Thanks for your quick response, anyway.

purnendubagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 20:28   #3198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purnendubagchi View Post
Hi guys, I need some experts' advice. Planning to buy a bullet next month. Cannot decide between Electra and Classic 350. Both will be available for delivery in mid Sept in Nagpur. Earlier choice was 500 Chrome, but it will be available by end Nov or early Dec. Cant wait till then. The bull will be used only occasionally, mainly during week-end. Sort of long cherished dream of the past 20 years which could not be fulfilled due to various issues. Please advice which one will be better from maintenance point of view. Be it car or bike, I am averse to go to service station frequently. Price, FE, cost of ownership are not factors. Also, please advise on the process of PDI. Thanks in advance.
The difference is only about looks and tyre size. Engine specification are exactly same. Listen to your heart and just get the bull home, you won't regret on any of them.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 11:50   #3199
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Have a query regarding the Classic handles. I have my DS delivery next month. Reading about it on the forums and talking to people, it seems changing the seats and handle bar is inevitable after a few months ride (or maybe even earlier).
My question is - is there anyone out there who did not go for the change in the handle bar? For the seats, I am assuming that there won't be anyone who has retained the original ones. But exceptions are welcome.

Also, is there any downside at all to changing the seats and the handle bar?

Thanks in advance,
Manish
manishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 14:59   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishw View Post
Hello Friends,

Have a query regarding the Classic handles. I have my DS delivery next month. Reading about it on the forums and talking to people, it seems changing the seats and handle bar is inevitable after a few months ride (or maybe even earlier).
My question is - is there anyone out there who did not go for the change in the handle bar? For the seats, I am assuming that there won't be anyone who has retained the original ones. But exceptions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Manish
well its subjective to each rider. I used the stock handlebar and seat for almost 8 month and had not faced much of issues. However, I had different handlebar with me so i have initially installed Electra and now for almost 2 year using RD350's handlebar. Same goes with seat, i was ok with the seat initially but since i had additional seat which was a bit better, i have changed it.

I know may riders who are still on stock and have done long rides on the bike. Depend on your taste and riding style. I guess, you should go ahead with stock ones and if don't find them better, change them at a later stage.
adroit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 20:58   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishw View Post
Hello Friends,

Thanks in advance,
Manish
This is very subjective and based on individual preferences. Old timers who used prior Bullet Standards would never change either of the two. However, there are many who for height or comfort reasons may go for change.

I have a Chrome for close to 2 years and running on stock seats and handles. I find them very comfortable to my stance and for long rides too. Maybe I am used to them as I used to have a Standard 350 for over a decade and got used to the position.

Make your choice. There is no correct answer. Do what you feel comfortable with.
nareshtrao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 13:55   #3202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post
well its subjective to each rider. I used the stock handlebar and seat for almost 8 month and had not faced much of issues. However, I had different handlebar with me so i have initially installed Electra and now for almost 2 year using RD350's handlebar. Same goes with seat, i was ok with the seat initially but since i had additional seat which was a bit better, i have changed it.

I know may riders who are still on stock and have done long rides on the bike. Depend on your taste and riding style. I guess, you should go ahead with stock ones and if don't find them better, change them at a later stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
This is very subjective and based on individual preferences. Old timers who used prior Bullet Standards would never change either of the two. However, there are many who for height or comfort reasons may go for change.

I have a Chrome for close to 2 years and running on stock seats and handles. I find them very comfortable to my stance and for long rides too. Maybe I am used to them as I used to have a Standard 350 for over a decade and got used to the position.

Make your choice. There is no correct answer. Do what you feel comfortable with.
Thank you Naresh and Adroit for your assurances. That makes the option of not going for alternative options, viable.

Will certainly take the call upon my own experience.

Thanks,
Manish
manishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 22:41   #3203
BHPian

The stock chain is not of ver good quality. Each week I need to wash it clean at the local bike wash and then oil it. But still a couple of links have gone hard.

Does anyone know of a better quality OEM replacement chain, which can tolerate one month between wash and grease?
abeerbagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 23:28   #3204
BHPian

Hi,

Request if anyone could help me with details of where in Bangalore I can buy a windshield for my C500. I tried Sandhya Auto Spares at JC Road, but there was no stock!

Please let me know if any of your are aware of any other store where I could buy it?

Or even if it is possible to order it online, please provide me the link.

Thanks,
Si1ver0ne
si1ver0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 08:58   #3205
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
Or even if it is possible to order it online, please provide me the link.
Try with Royal Enfield Zone, Karol Bagh, Delhi. http://royalenfieldzone.com/view_large.asp?Id=3306 or The Legend Motors, Chennai (The Legend Motors : Royal Enfield Accessories).

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th August 2013 at 09:07.
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 11:59   #3206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
The stock chain is not of ver good quality. Each week I need to wash it clean at the local bike wash and then oil it. But still a couple of links have gone hard.

Does anyone know of a better quality OEM replacement chain, which can tolerate one month between wash and grease?
OEM chain is not a bad one and your problem lies in the way you are cleaning it. You should completely remove the chain, clean it with diesel or kerosene. Then use chain lubricant like Motul chain lube. You can buy any expensive chain you like but if you keep on cleaning it with water and use oil on it then you will end up in a stiff chain.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 15:09   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post

Never heard anything bad about the quality on the stock Chain. Oil it with some good Chain Oil after washing it properly.
adroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 00:24   #3208
Senior - BHPian

@abeerbagul

Unless RE has greatly improved their rear drive chain since 2011, I consider it to be the worst chain I've ever had on a motorcycle.

I don't ride in the wet, in dirt or mud. I lubricate my chain with PJ-1 Black, a chain lube that is noted for its excellence, every 300 miles (480 km) and keep my chain wiped clean of excess dust.
Even with this care, in the first 3000 miles (4,800 km) of riding I had to adjust it not less than 4 times.

As it had developed quite a bit of sideways looseness I decided to replace it with a Diamond (brand) chain that was made in the USA.

Using the same cleaning and lubricating methods I used with the OEM chain I have now ridden over 8,000 miles (12,900 km) and the new high quality chain has required adjustment just once. This is more in line with what I've learned to expect with motorcycle drive chains.

There are some very good chains available on the web.
Amoung the better ones are those made by D.I.D., Tsubaki and EK.
Your RE uses a 530 size with 102 links if it has 18 inch wheels.

I agree with part of what Randhawa says. Your cleaning method is probably the worst thing that can be done to a chain.
Using water to wash your chain will wash out much of the lubricant and replace it with water. Most chain lubes will not displace the water that has gotten into the inner workings. This will lead to rust down inside the links even though you are applying a lube after cleaning it.

I suggest washing your chain using a petroleum solvent and then wiping it clean with an old rag. Then apply a good quality chain lube. If chain lube isn't available even some motor oil can be used but much of it will be thrown off of the chain while you ride making a mess on the engine and the rear wheel. Using regular motor oil will also require re-lubricating the chain at least once a week.

The part of Randhawa's suggestion I don't agree with?
Removing the chain to clean it although my disagreement is based on the average person doing the job.

Because the drive sprocket is almost enclosed on the engine, if the chain is simply removed from the bike and cleaned, you will have a terrible time trying to get it back around the transmissions output sprocket. It could take hours and many unladylike words.

On the other hand, if you have an old chain available, you can use the master link to attach it to the chain that is still on the bike.
Then, as you pull the bikes chain out, the old chain will be pulled into place around the transmission output sprocket and back out into the sunlight where both ends will be accessible.
Then you can remove the bikes chain leaving the old chain in place while you clean it.

Once cleaned and oiled, the chain can be reinstalled by attaching it to the old chain with the master link and pulling it around the drive sprocket.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 15:18   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
OEM chain is not a bad one and your problem lies in the way you are cleaning it. You should completely remove the chain, clean it with diesel or kerosene. Then use chain lubricant like Motul chain lube.
Mate,
Thought that the new age Enfields come with O-Ring chain? Am i wrong?
Always thought the 3M Chain Cleaner in conjunction with Motul Chain Lube is more than sufficient. Doing it once in 800-1000 kms based on the terrain should take care of it.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 15:53   #3210
BHPian

He he, I now have enough guilt for washing the chain with water for the rest of my life.
So now I know multiple options, in increasing order of difficulty.

1. Buy a new chain
1.1. OE chain from the dealer
1.2 Aftermarket chain from the internet like Diamond, etc.

2. Keep the old chain as backup for help with getting the new chain on and off the sprockets.

3. Buy a cleaner fluid
3.1 Diesel
3.2 Kerosene
3.3 3M chain cleaner
3.4 Some imported stuff <suggestions here>

4. Buy a chain lube
4.1 Motul chain lube
4.2 PJ-1 chain lube.

Lets see what the optimum path to recovery will be.
abeerbagul is offline   Reply With Quote