Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 23:28   #316
Senior - BHPian

No worries Achint, let me get the Techo working and if it does then I'll gift you one so wish me luck

@Rahul- Yeah tell me about it, getting parts for UCE is like on a wild goose chase. Sometimes it drives me bonkers. I got the fuel tank within 10 days as I was on the case pestering them every day till it came.

The problem with delay in parts is because of their ways of processing the order. Earlier the dealer used to mail RE with the required parts and RE used to dispatch them straight on. Now it has to got through the engineer and then to their parts department and then it's dispatched.

I don't think you will get a proper answer from them but may be off the record he will give you proper advice.
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:31   #317
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE ON MY C5:

I think writing to RE did help.

Received the bike and most of the issues are taken care of.
The paint touch-up work is done. (finally!!)
The Handle stopper (there is a technical name for it - a T junction or something), is been welded and re-painted.
The LH cover (with the acid drop marks) is been replaced with a new one.
The fork sleeves have been adjusted the the mudguard is repositioned so it does not scrape. And they have been touched-up with paint.
The rusting issues under the pillion seat is been temporarily taken care of by touching up that entire area with paint. (not sure if they cleaned the surface of rust before painting)
The wheel has been re-aligned and the "right side pull" issue is almost gone.

BTW, i came across an interesting PDF about the difference between an AVL and a UCE, illustrated with pictures. PFA the same and do have a look.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UK_Bullet_EFI.pdf (1.59 MB, 2230 views)

Last edited by nasirkaka : 22nd May 2010 at 19:32. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:43   #318
Senior - BHPian

Throttle Body Maintenance at 10K

Apart from cleaning, I wanted to do something on my bike and apart from cleaning plugs there is hardly anything else you can on do C5 in respect of tuning. So thought of taking apart the Throttle body and giving it some TLC. Odo is 10K plus and I thought cleaning it might help a bit towards the performance side

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-bystarter.jpg

Its a fiddly business to take it apart due to the Throttle cables which are a bit tricky to undo as well as the by-starter cable so without dismantling the throttle cable and by-starter cable I removed the throttle body. I wasn't surprised to see it dirty from inside.

All it needed was some brake fluid and a used tooth brush to clean it from end to end.

Few pictures of before and after cleaning up.
Throttle Body- engine side-BEFORE
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-throttle-body-engine-side-.jpg

Throttle body-engine side -AFTER
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-t-body-engine-side-b.jpg

Throttle body-Filter side- BEFORE
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-throttle-body-filter-side-.jpg

Throttle body-Filter side-AFTER
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-t-body-filter-side-b.jpg

Intake Mainfold
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-intake-body.jpg

Here I observed that the passage for Injector spray in intake manifold has swirl marks or signs left after drilling was done. Now if I port that hole, will that help in smooth atomizing of the fuel rather sticking inside the spray hole and hampering the performance. It might give a .1% increase in performance but if it's worth doing then please lads voice your opinion.

Tip on adjusting Idle

In the first picture, you can see the brass screw labeled as Idle adjuster. If you turn it anti-clockwise then RPM increase and clockwise the RPM decreases.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:01   #319
BHPian

Throttle Body Cleaning

These are fantastic updates Randhawa. The photos are excellent as well.

A question for you, my bike needs a little throttle input to start with the electric starter, but no input is needed with the kick starter.

Do I need to increase the idle a bit, or is it all right to leave it as it is ?
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:56   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
These are fantastic updates Randhawa. The photos are excellent as well.

A question for you, my bike needs a little throttle input to start with the electric starter, but no input is needed with the kick starter.

Do I need to increase the idle a bit, or is it all right to leave it as it is ?

No, it is perfectly alright for it to behave this way.

Just for clarifications sake, how much of throttle wringing are you talking about with the ES?
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:16   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
No, it is perfectly alright for it to behave this way.

Just for clarifications sake, how much of throttle wringing are you talking about with the ES?
Hey Essyouwe, it is very little, I would say just about enough that would remove the slack from the throttle and a little bit more. That is it.
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:24   #322
Senior - BHPian

In that case, you have nothing to worry about. It is just the right amount.

Enjoy your ride!

Cheers!
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:01   #323
Senior - BHPian

has anyone put the Classic500 on the dyno?i read on some other forum that it churns out just 19bhp(which is way less than the claimed 27 BHP).so this makes the LB500 better than the c500,right?.can someone please confirm?
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:55   #324
Senior - BHPian

@Bradhey- Just as Achint said it's just the right amount of play required. Worry about it only when you are unable to start at first kick on your bike. Are you running upswept on your bike?

@Nasir- Congrats man for getting your bike back with most of the issues sorted.

Last edited by Randhawa : 23rd May 2010 at 15:58.
Old 23rd May 2010, 22:52   #325
BHPian

Hi,
I am Naren , From Dehradun and a cl 500 owner. I had been following this thread and got some amazing inputs from all posts. I took delivery of my cl 500 in the third week of JAN and have been putting it through the paces ever since. Here is my review

1. The rattle under acceleration described by Randhawa was evident on my bike too. The dealers and the RE service eng had no clue and told me to keep riding and they would fix it if it 'broke'. It seems to have decreased with the mounting mileage.

2. The zappers are awful , the poor handling in the wet culminated in a skid , a fall and a right elbow dislocation for me in end March. The moment i got back on my bike , i started hunting for better rubber. A Dehradun tyre dealer had some excellent Pirelli rubber in the size i needed ( front tyre) and i picked up a Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 S/T 100 x 90 . This tyre has surpassed all my expectations with regard to cornering , steering and braking in the wet and the dry , Tarmac and dirt. Owing to the wider section , i had fouling problems with the front mudguard and had to replace the stock stays with stays from a classic 350 ( 19 " rim). I also got a 120 x 80 ceat vertigo rage tyre for the rear and this has performed much better than the MRF OEM tyre. The search continues for a pirelli rear to complement the front but no such luck till now.BTW , the 18" tyres are suited to the Honda tuff up tubes , available for the Unicorn and those worried about punctures may get some mental comfort from this replacement.

3. The bike had a lot of issues with it's OEM battery and i had to replace it twice under warranty.

4. The rich running condition of the engine remains a problem and plugs get carbon coated very soon. I replaced the stock plug with a Bosch platinum Fusion quad electrode plug and although carbon fouled , the plug is performing perfectly.

5. I will be switching to Synthetic oil at my 300o KM service ( I have already done 3 changes with the Motul 3000 OEM oil.

6. I had the toolbox( oval) lock nut work loose and the lock dropped off. A replacement lock kit is about Rs 750 so will try fit a normal glove box lock in it and see( but will need 2 keys from now on).

7. The engine is noisy and the lifters make a lot of noise. There is nothing much that can be done about that and i will live with it till something goes wrong.

I am leaving on a long trip through Lahaul Spiti , on through to Leh and back sometime next month. I will be carrying a pillion rider and will post on any issues , performance figures , details etc as and when possible.
Any tips from owners with high mileage figures would be appreciated.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:52   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I am Naren , From Dehradun and a cl 500 owner. I had been following this thread and got some amazing inputs from all posts.

1. The rattle
2. The zappers are awful
3. The bike had a lot of issues with it's OEM battery
4. The rich running condition of the
5. I will be switching to Synthetic oil at my 3000 KM service
6. I had the toolbox( oval) lock nut work loose
7. The engine is noisy and the lifters make a lot of noise.

I am leaving on a long trip through Lahaul Spiti , on through to Leh and back sometime next month. I will be carrying a pillion rider.
WOW WOW ! First wow for your acquisition of new C5, and second wow in dismay, to regret so many issues with your new bike.

The thing with Royal Enfield is you got to be plain lucky to have a relatively trouble free bike from them. But fortunately I have not come across as many problems in 3 months and over 3400 kms of riding in all conditions, or may be I am not such a keen observer at diagnosing problems.

The ubiquitous problem of fouling of spark plugs is not present on my bike which returns a mileage of 31 kmpl consistently (it was acutally showing 34 kmpl but I discovered an error of 9% in the odo which gets us to the new figure of 31 kmpl). I am attaching herewith photos of both sides of my plugs for reference. As you can see they are very clean.

My advice before you ride to Lahul Spiti is, do some 50 km plus rides with your pillion just to check if he/she can bear the discomfort this pillion seat brings, and second, opt for a chamber guard (search Ladakh Armour on Google) as the ground clearance of the C5 is very low (I have a dent on my engine from a speed breaker.

All the best to you.

RANDHAWA, I have the stock silencer on my bike till today.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-sparks1.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-sparks2.jpg  

Last edited by ampere : 14th April 2016 at 16:52. Reason: Please use correct quoting process. Makes it easy to keep up the chain of posts
Old 25th May 2010, 12:39   #327
BHPian

Hi,
I have had a far more pleasant experience with my bike than my post seems to have indicated. I am a long time Enfield aficionado and have 4 Enfield bikes in my immediate family. A STD 350 (1998) , A modified , tuned L 535 ( 2001) , A classic 500 (2010) a machismo A 350 4 speed ( 2000 ). I am quite proficient at Mechanical work and have done complete engine overhauls at home. The issues I faced( other than the skid and subsequent plaster cast ) are minor niggles at best. The bike performs admirably and the main issue faced is the lack of experience in the mechanics the owners as well as the dealers.

With regard to the pillion rider on the road trip , The seat is a bit uncomfortable but since there is an Electra 5s coming along , the riders can keep rotating positions every hour or so.

Posted below are pics of my bike ( with a std 350 (white) and a friend's Classic 350 at George Everest Estate , Mussorie. Also included are pictures of The carbon coated ( not fouled ) Bosch Fusion Platinum plug. Pictures of an engine overhaul ( L-535 Bore kit replacement ) and a full rebuild of the same bike also here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-image000.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-image0113.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-image0114.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-image0204.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-535-rebuild.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-beast-gutted.jpg  

Old 25th May 2010, 13:54   #328
BHPian

Hexanrex

GREAT SHOW! I Loved the resotration of 535. Would appreciate if you can post a complete photo of this moto. Keep up the good work.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:11   #329
BHPian

I concur! Absolutely brilliant there! Can I ask you to share more pics of your bikes on the thread below, please? Would love to see more.

All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please
Old 26th May 2010, 14:44   #330
Senior - BHPian

@Shyn- I heard about that figures too but can not confirm if anyone else has done the dyno. Although 27Bhp is at the engine and not at the wheels and I suspect the realistic figures to be around 19-23 at the engine.

@Naren- I like the grip of the front tyre but I am also not happy with the rear tyre. I am on lookout for Pirelli Sport Daemon for front and rear. Can you share with us all about the price of the front stays please.

Are you sure its the battery at fault and not anything else? Cause I have seen one C5 with that kind of problem and it was due to overcharging on the bike.

Wait until you do 5-7K on odo. Then the engine noise will get a lot smooth and don't forget to get the head bolts tightened at 5k. Don't worry if the bike behaves a bit rough initially for 50km until your the clearance gets adjusted automatically after you get the head tightened.

Nice pics mate. I think your bike in picture was the one of the last bikes produced at Jaipur, that is if you have not swapped the primary chain cover from another bike.

Most Viewed