Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 17:47   #3331
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 754
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

The old and the new.
They compliment each-other well.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-dsc_0241.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-dsc_0270.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 18:53   #3332
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 1,049 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
The old and the new.
They compliment each-other well.
Regarding the last pic: That awkward moment when you realize that an engine with 25% less capacity manages to produce more than 60% more power.. :|

Nevertheless Always great to see both the beasts together!
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 14:45   #3333
BHPian
 
nasirkaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 754
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Regarding the last pic: That awkward moment when you realize that an engine with 25% less capacity manages to produce more than 60% more power.. :|

Nevertheless Always great to see both the beasts together!
Yes! Yes!! good to have them in the stable. one is good at leisure ride, with comfortable riding posture, and does decent on broken country roads, whereas the other one is a real hooligan, keeps one on the edge all the time and superb on good roads and curves.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:17   #3334
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

On Monday, I noticed that the oil level in my hardly a month old Classic 500 was almost non existent!! I was shocked , since there was no abnormal noise, roughness, excess smoke or the famous Oil dripping issue. I hardly exceed the recommended 50 kmph with an occasional increase to 60, and drop back within a couple of mins, and the longest ride in a day has been around 120 kms

So Got some Engine oil from the service center, and it almost took 2 liters to bring it back to the max level on the window.

I am now worried on 2 fronts
1. How did the oil level go so low without any symptoms
2. what could have been damaged if the oil was so low.

I intend to take it to the company workshop for the first service (~450 kms and 1month).

Last but not the least am I the first person to have such problems or anyone else faced a similar issue?
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:27   #3335
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 1,049 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
On Monday, I noticed that the oil level in my hardly a month old Classic 500 was almost non existent!! I was shocked , since there was no abnormal noise, roughness, excess smoke or the famous Oil dripping issue. I hardly exceed the recommended 50 kmph with an occasional increase to 60, and drop back within a couple of mins, and the longest ride in a day has been around 120 kms

So Got some Engine oil from the service center, and it almost took 2 liters to bring it back to the max level on the window.

I am now worried on 2 fronts
1. How did the oil level go so low without any symptoms
2. what could have been damaged if the oil was so low.

I intend to take it to the company workshop for the first service (~450 kms and 1month).

Last but not the least am I the first person to have such problems or anyone else faced a similar issue?
Hi Raghu,

Can you please tell us how you checked for the oil level? Did you simply put the bike in the center stand and checked without turning on the engine?

The correct method is

- Put it in center stand on a level ground. Most probably the oil level will be in the min level now because some of the oil will be accumulated in the cylinder heads. (I doubt this is when you checked and found the level as low)
- Switch on the engine, give slight throttle for some time (20-30 secs) and you will see that the oil in the cyl head region had flown back to the crank case and now you will be able to determine the correct oil level.

Let me know if this is the method you have followed.

Cheers.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 13th November 2013 at 11:30.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:46   #3336
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 501
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
On Monday, I noticed that the oil level in my hardly a month old Classic 500 was almost non existent!! I was shocked , since there was no abnormal noise, roughness, excess smoke or the famous Oil dripping issue. I hardly exceed the recommended 50 kmph with an occasional increase to 60, and drop back within a couple of mins, and the longest ride in a day has been around 120 kms

Do check with the above mentioned method. Pouring excess engine oil is not advisable (at least from what people have told me ) in case you feel that you have poured excess oil , please drain it and maintain the recommended oil level.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 12:15   #3337
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Hi Raghu,

Can you please tell us how you checked for the oil level? Did you simply put the bike in the center stand and checked without turning on the engine?

The correct method is

- Put it in center stand on a level ground. Most probably the oil level will be in the min level now because some of the oil will be accumulated in the cylinder heads. (I doubt this is when you checked and found the level as low)
- Switch on the engine, give slight throttle for some time (20-30 secs) and you will see that the oil in the cyl head region had flown back to the crank case and now you will be able to determine the correct oil level.

Let me know if this is the method you have followed.

Cheers.
@Man_of_steel: Thx, You are right, I had put the vehicle on center stand. Checked the oil window. Then started the vehicle, idled for the couple of seconds and then Checked the window again. I had not idled it for 20-30 secs nor opened the throttle before switching off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Do check with the above mentioned method. Pouring excess engine oil is not advisable (at least from what people have told me ) in case you feel that you have poured excess oil , please drain it and maintain the recommended oil level.
@girimajiananth: Even I believe that excess oil could be harmful..

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 13th November 2013 at 12:16.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 13:00   #3338
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 1,049 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
@Man_of_steel: Thx, You are right, I had put the vehicle on center stand. Checked the oil window. Then started the vehicle, idled for the couple of seconds and then Checked the window again. I had not idled it for 20-30 secs nor opened the throttle before switching off!!
No need of 20 secs I guess, idling and just a slight pull in throttle should be enough. In which case a 2L drop in oil level drop is totally unacceptable!

Only chance I see is the ASC guys not filling it up properly. Just cant think of anything else.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 16:18   #3339
BHPian
 
Majumdarda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 636
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
...
You know Guys, even I had this query, but did not ask as the problem resolved immediately.

One fine day, after reading in the forum with regards to the expected oil level, I was shocked to see that there is no oil visible through the glass/plastic viewfinder. Even after putting Amun-Ra on center stand and pushing him a bit sideways, no oil was visible. Checked the parking, and there was no strain of oil over there as well.

Though I was quite shaky to start him, (what if some thing goes wrong), but then took a risk and I was just surprised after that. There seemed to be a sudden gush of oil in the chamber and within a flash the chamber was filled to its expected level.

Wonder, what happens to the oil that it does not show up, even after pushing sideways?

Have not seen this happening with the Bajajs'. [Or does it happen with them too ]
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 17:14   #3340
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
......

Though I was quite shaky to start him, (what if some thing goes wrong), but then took a risk and I was just surprised after that. There seemed to be a sudden gush of oil in the chamber and within a flash the chamber was filled to its expected level.
......
I tried checking it both at home and at my office parking lot. Unfortunately wasnt as lucky. Being a 4 week old bike did not want to take any risks. If the issue happens on 2 bike, I am sure that these are not isolated cases. Let me check with RE and their service center this weekend.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 17:27   #3341
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 1,049 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I tried checking it both at home and at my office parking lot. Unfortunately wasnt as lucky. Being a 4 week old bike did not want to take any risks. If the issue happens on 2 bike, I am sure that these are not isolated cases. Let me check with RE and their service center this weekend.
Hey. This is not an issue bro, its just the normal behavior. The reason for it (which I believe) is that being a wet sump system, oil is taken by the oil pump from the crank case. that is oil is always circulating from the sump(crank case) to various parts of the engine (Including the Valve covers). Now when you switch off the engine, some oil will be trapped in oil passages and the top valve covers. You will have to start the engine to activate the oil pump to get the oil circulating all over again and the sump will now show the correct reading.

To put more light on things, even my '09 TBTS worked this way!
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 17:37   #3342
BHPian
 
raghu.t.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Hey. This is not an issue bro, its just the normal behavior. ...

To put more light on things, even my '09 TBTS worked this way!
Thanks for the explanation. Then they need to put some documentation in the manual so that people dont mistake it for a problem
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 18:04   #3343
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 248
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Then they need to put some documentation in the manual so that people dont mistake it for a problem
Hi raghu.t.k,

I had the same scare with my new TBTS 500 and this forum helped calm my nerves.

as you rightly said RE should share more knowledge.

as we say in the IT world, at KB article is a must so is a KB knowledge Base.

Jimmy_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 18:07   #3344
BHPian
 
Majumdarda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 636
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
...KB article...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I understand your point Man_Of_Steel, but then it really concerns a new Bulleteer, if on a fine morning he noticies that there is no oil at all. (not even a slight drop visible)

I agree with you Raghu.T.K, off course it needs to be mentioned in the runbook.
Rightly pointed out Jimmy_U, but then in same IT sector, how many of us do refer the KB article.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 18:13   #3345
BHPian
 
Jimmy_u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay / Pune
Posts: 248
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Rightly pointed out Jimmy_U, but then in same IT sector, how many of us do refer the KB article.
Well Majumdarda,

it depends, for us it was a bible for other it was timepass.

in this case with RE concerned everyone of us is as passionate about this as it can be hence it would be very valuable.

This forum itself is a Bible / KB Knowledge Base

but RE should formally have one
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 - "The Chrome Decimator" xydon Motorbikes 17 9th February 2016 12:12
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale Puffdamgcdragon Motorbikes 1173 18th September 2012 17:31
Booked Royal Enfield Classic 500 but need help whether should wait for carb ketan4renault Motorbikes 12 29th June 2011 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks