Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 09:31   #3466
BHPian
 
nareshtrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 410
Thanked: 331 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Ok. Does it mean that new C5s are coming with NGK Plugs now? Both Primary and Secondary? I am getting my DS500 this in Feb .
No. These are after-market. The bike comes with standard plugs. The reason being cost. Both Platinum and Iridium plug families are way too expensive compared to Standard plugs for manufacturers to provide them as OE.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 17th January 2014 at 09:34.
nareshtrao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 11:21   #3467
BHPian
 
Thar4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 512
Thanked: 665 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Ok. Does it mean that new C5s are coming with NGK Plugs now? Both Primary and Secondary? I am getting my DS500 this in Feb .
Ricky,
Now C5 comes with NGK main plug and Bosch secondary plug. I changed for my friends C5 in this month to same NGK and Bosch but to different model as there was some miss firing on 40/50. These plug costed 790 for me as NGK iridium cost around 700 and Bosch around 90.

I will suggest you to use the your DS as it is for 5 K kms let it get settled in stock configuration (seat/handle change is fine) and then think on doing upgrades as per your test.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 11:48   #3468
BHPian
 
joybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 46
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I have some official work at manali next week.Was thinking of renting a desert storm from chandigarh and do the distance by road.Apart from the riding gear, what about the ride itself? Is it going to very difficult? I haven't ridden a two wheeler over snow or iced road before.
Hi there.
You will not face ice till close to Manali but very bitter conditions are prevailing here. The NH from Ropar onwards till Bilaspur and further up is full of huge pot holes due to cement factories in the area and bound to encounter atleast 800 trucks on an average which make the ride very painful for others on the road.
If you still wish to do the trip I suggest you take other route to bypass the major traffic.
You can drive from Chandigarh to Dharampur on NH22 and then towards Subathu on smaller but less traffic and better road. Follow directions for Arki and after Arki you will hit the Shimla Bilaspur road NH 88 at Darlaghat. On this road continue towards bilaspur. From here you have two options either to continue on this major road till Bilaspur city and then turn on Mandi Manali route or take another diversion avoiding traffic further in Bilaspur area and reaching NH21 just before Barmana.
From here you can continue on NH 21 to Manali.
I have used this route all the time as one of my friend lives in naggar (close to Manali). The inner roads are narrow but very less traffic. If you want to enjoy the ride you can try this route. Be prepared for sudden on coming vehicles. Fuels pumps are at Dharampur, Arki, NH88 and NH21.
Again please expect bitter cold and foggy conditions. Your riding skills will be tested, I assure you that.
joybird is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 07:37   #3469
BHPian
 
nijelj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore-Ktym
Posts: 368
Thanked: 362 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
The NH from Ropar onwards till Bilaspur and further up is full of huge pot holes due to cement factories in the area and bound to encounter atleast 800 trucks on an average which make the ride very painful for others on the
Again please expect bitter cold and foggy conditions.
Did the trip by taxi yesterday on the normal route.You were right about the road condition.very rough from swarghat to bilaspur.Thankfully there was no fog in the night and it took 9 hours.Thanks for the tips!
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 21:14   #3470
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Exclamation Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The 'skew-skew' while the bike is running suggests its the dirt in between the disc brake pads. Please get the caliper removed and the pads cleaned with sand paper and check again.
The sounds comes even in the bike is idling. Does any sounds of oil being injected come from the engine?

Also, I've hit another problem. My throttle's return cable has snapped. I can still ride safely however need to manually get the throttle back to it's resting place. Is this a big safety hazard? Planning to go for a ride tmw morning (journey distance is about 180kms both ways). Is it safe to proceed?
grey_artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 23:44   #3471
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,181
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_artemis View Post
The sounds comes even in the bike is idling. Does any sounds of oil being injected come from the engine?
That needs to be checked through an ASC. No sound of oil being injected/oil pump will be heard over the normal valve/tappet sound.

Quote:
Also, I've hit another problem. My throttle's return cable has snapped. I can still ride safely however need to manually get the throttle back to it's resting place. Is this a big safety hazard? Planning to go for a ride tmw morning (journey distance is about 180kms both ways). Is it safe to proceed?
Get the cable changed before the ride bro. It will be hard to control both the throttle manually and the bike in corners.

Ride safe.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 11:55   #3472
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Yippeee!!!! I got a call from Siddh Auto Yesterday that my DS is allocated to me.

Now I will have to go there to complete documents and rest of the payment. They said after completing my documents and Payments , the Bike will be delivered in next 15 days.

Is that so? What were your experiences? What should I do? Should I keep some amount pending or keep some document like Form 29/30 pending till they show me the bike for PDI?

Pls guide.

Regards,
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 16:26   #3473
BHPian
 
Majumdarda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 720
Thanked: 411 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Yippeee!!!! I got a call from Siddh Auto Yesterday that my DS is allocated to me.

Now I will have to go there to complete documents and rest of the payment. They said after completing my documents and Payments , the Bike will be delivered in next 15 days.

Is that so? What were your experiences? What should I do? Should I keep some amount pending or keep some document like Form 29/30 pending till they show me the bike for PDI?

Pls guide.

Regards,

Hi Ricky_3007,

Congratulations. I can understand your excitement. But one thing that I am aware of is after a motorcycle is allocated under your name, it does not take 15 days to be delivered. At the max, it can take 5 working days.

On a different note, with RE, you have to always make the complete payment, before getting the motorcycle allocated under your name. But with regards to the PDI etc, I think you hardly have any options, as the vehicle gets allocated to your name post payment, and then you get to see the motorcycle.

A friendly advise, will be to take the delivery as soon as possible and in day time, with suitable time in hand. Dealerships tend to start the delivery process post afternoon and by the time ones vehicle comes, it is already half crossed evening. You hardly get to do a proper PDI. Also do not trust the PDI done either by the RE or the dealerships as there are more gaps than holes in a mosquito net. Do a rigorous check and whatever deviations you observe, do make sure that you have it updated on records with the RE. Special attention to be paid for the nuts and bolts (as they tend to loosen up in the transit), underbody, side stand, nuts and bolts, petrol tank RE stickers, any minor scratches specifically between the seat and the rear-mud guard, any sign of rusts (possible spaces are shock absorber joints, rear mudguard and seat contact), color uniformity across the entire body, headlight beam projection, working indicators etc etc.

These are some of the things I could remember now. Wishing you miles of happy thumping.

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 14:36   #3474
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hi Ricky_3007,

Congratulations. I can understand your excitement. But one thing that I am aware of is after a motorcycle is allocated under your name, it does not take 15 days to be delivered. At the max, it can take 5 working days.

....as the vehicle gets allocated to your name post payment, and then you get to see the motorcycle.

A friendly advise, ...... working indicators etc etc.

These are some of the things I could remember now. Wishing you miles of happy thumping.

Best regards,
Thanks MujumdarDa,

I went to Siddh auto yesterday and checked the process. They said till I complete the payment , the bike will reach Pune. May be it will take 5-6 days . I will get to see bike only when I make full payment. No issues with this. I will make the payment formalities and then will provide my other documents after PDI.
I will check all points mentioned by you. Also I will try to take the PDI checklist for C5 mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for your wishes and hope to join all of you who own a Bullet.
I will also join any club / event for rides. Do you know any such group / RE Club for such excursions? From my 4X4 group I know few friends who go for OTR in Jeep. But in RE I am complete Newbie.

Regards,
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 16:35   #3475
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 913
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Got the new chain guard and a RR unit cover plate meant only for export C5. Have to improvise to fit the number plate.
Attachment 450867
HI Randhawa, I am eager to have 1 such a cover plate for my Bullet. Would you be able to help me out with a new piece.
Thank you
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 16:40   #3476
BHPian
 
rakchow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 57
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Hi randhawa,

Can you post a picture of the same.
rakchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 09:11   #3477
BHPian
 
Majumdarda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 720
Thanked: 411 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
...
Thanks for your wishes and hope to join all of you who own a Bullet.
I will also join any club / event for rides. Do you know any such group / RE Club for such excursions?...
I am part of the Blitzkrieg Riding Club in Pune and we have regular city rides on Fridays, long distance rides in every alternate weekends. This riding club is not restricted to bullets only, but anything on two wheeler which moves and is above 200 CC are welcome. I know being a bullet fan , you would probably prefer the all Bullet riding clubs (i had the same thought earlier too), but if you meet these guys you will get to know the difference. Off-course, 80% are Bulleteers, but it is more of a Brotherhood that we believe in

Concepts like Lead, Sweep, Tail Runner, Safety Adherence etc are actually followed and adhered to.

Do let me know once you have your steed and then I can introduce you to the group. You will love the company and we will love to have you around.

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 19:16   #3478
Senior - BHPian
 
Randhawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,127
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
HI Randhawa, I am eager to have 1 such a cover plate for my Bullet. Would you be able to help me out with a new piece.
Thank you
Sorry, cant't help you in sourcing one. You might try the UK dealers and see if they can get you one or try the hitchcocks Uk.

I think the new bikes don't have the RR unit in the same place as the earlier ones. First check if its the same place or it might not fit. Cover plate goes over the RR unit behind the number plate and if you can source one then you will have to change the location of the no plate.

@rakchow Click the link on post *3475

Last edited by Randhawa : 31st January 2014 at 19:19.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 13:06   #3479
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I am part of the Blitzkrieg Riding Club in Pune and we have regular city rides on Fridays, long distance rides in every alternate weekends. This riding club is not restricted to bullets only, but anything on two wheeler which moves and is above 200 CC are welcome. I know being a bullet fan , you would probably prefer the all Bullet riding clubs (i had the same thought earlier too), but if you meet these guys you will get to know the difference. Off-course, 80% are Bulleteers, but it is more of a Brotherhood that we believe in

Concepts like Lead, Sweep, Tail Runner, Safety Adherence etc are actually followed and adhered to.

Do let me know once you have your steed and then I can introduce you to the group. You will love the company and we will love to have you around.

Best regards,
Sure , I would love to be a part this group. I will contact you once I get my DS. Thanks for this info.
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 21:18   #3480
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 125
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

I got delivery of my Desert Storm on 2nd Jan 14 and since 2 weeks its giving me self start trouble. Visited the service center and asked for battery replacement, however it seems they just charged the battery and made me pay INR 150 for it.

Is this a usual problem with RE 500 ?
compenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 - "The Chrome Decimator" xydon Motorbikes 17 9th February 2016 12:12
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale Puffdamgcdragon Motorbikes 1173 18th September 2012 17:31
Booked Royal Enfield Classic 500 but need help whether should wait for carb ketan4renault Motorbikes 12 29th June 2011 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks