Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th March 2014, 17:11   #3511
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Some updates on my C5:

got the engine re-built. Installed Wossner 535cc forged piston & corresponding cylinder kit on to the bike. Got a mikuni TM 32 mm flat slide carb installed. UNI pod filter and a custom made exhaust. After some initial days of trying to tweak and tune the carb with various jetting, its reached a decent stage. get a very good feel of torque. So far happy but ofcourse there is more to be extracted from that carb.
Some more mods in the pipeline like installing a box section aluminium swing arm, custom made rear sprocket, etc and the bike should be even better to ride.
Whoa! That came by a surprise! Awesome!! Is the cylinder kit from the CGT or is it aftermarket?

I think it will be better to take the rounded box section swingarm of the new TB or the CGT. It should be a direct fit and may be some tweak may be required to the mudguards as IIRC, the wheelbase of the TB is shorter than the C5!

And, are you planning to go for a smaller sprocket for the rear? It will be a good idea and make the triple digit cruising a bit more relaxed. Nasirkaka pics !

Last edited by man_of_steel : 17th March 2014 at 17:13.
man_of_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 19:30   #3512
BHPian

No no.. not GTs. They are hard to procure as of now. i want a GTs frame

the piston is from a wossner, a flat crown forged one. Royal motorcycles in delhi import them and sell it as a kit. the cylinder is the usual UCE500, bored to suit that piston.
TB500 SA is not a direct fit i guess. a new SA in high grade thick AL alloy is developed a tested thoroughly by a couple of bullet gurus for the UCE 500. so was looking forward to that. Yes, the idea for sprocketing was to convert the torque to road speed. Lets see how it goes. and there is nothing really to show pics of. appearance wise its just the same, a dirtier version infact. i got a bajaj boxer windscreen fitted to the bike, and two 10 watts LED aux lamps as well. much much better illumination. will share a few pics.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 22:12   #3513
BHPian

Quote:
Some updates on my C5: got the engine re-built. Installed Wossner 535cc forged piston & corresponding cylinder kit on to the bike. Got a mikuni TM 32 mm flat slide carb installed. UNI pod filter and a custom made exhaust. After some initial days of trying to tweak and tune the carb with various jetting, its reached a decent stage. get a very good feel of torque. So far happy but ofcourse there is more to be extracted from that carb.
Please do share what size jets are being used and as man_of_steel mentioned pics please :-) especially that of the UNI pod filter setup.
Akhilash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 11:51   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Please do share what size jets are being used and as man_of_steel mentioned pics please :-) especially that of the UNI pod filter setup.
main jets tried were 205, 190, 170 and currently on 145.
pilot tried was 30, and currently on 27.5

Some bad quality pics of the bajaj boxer visor, a2z 10W LED lamps ( which are more brighter then the oem headlight), and the carb with filter. also got a carrier on which takes the GIVI box mounting plate. more of functional stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-01-03.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-01-04.jpg  

Attached Images

nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 12:04   #3515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
main jets tried were 205, 190, 170 and currently on 145.
pilot tried was 30, and currently on 27.5
Any picture of the custom exhaust you can post?
Also, is there a similar 535 kit for the CI500 available at Royal motorcycles you got the kit ordered from?
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 04:07   #3516
BHPian

Raghu, Were you able to clean up the aluminium parts? I did it with Silvo and the results are awsome. Though I used my bare hands and a good hard(thick) cloth to buff it, but getting into the hub area where spokes get attached, is a difficult task. I spent almost 5-6 hours to get the final outcome. Latter cleaned it with soft cotton cloth. It's been almost 3 months and the gloss is still available. Hoping to buy one buffing machine for silver parts.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 17:00   #3517
BHPian

Default Rough gear shifts

I observed the following twice from my periodic bike service -

After a regular service that involves just the oil top-ups, the gear shifts (both up and down shifts) were smooth for about 1 or 2 weeks and soon after that the gear shifts were bit rough. Sounds like 'katang' sound.

What's happening?

From the last service, SA clarified that it could be just loose bolts and nuts and it is normal
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:05   #3518
BHPian

Hi guys,
My Desert Storm has done 19.5k kms in 18 months. During a general check up this afternoon my mechanic noticed lot of oil on the rear shock absorber and on his advice I got both the rear shocks replaced. (920/- each). Just wanted to know where does the oil leak from if it is a gas shock absorber.
Thanks
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 01:31   #3519
Senior - BHPian

Gas shock absorbers use oil to dampen the movement of whatever they are attached to.

If the shock absorber must move rapidly the oil can be worked into a foam of air and oil.
If this happens the oil will lose it's ability to dampen the movement.

By adding high pressure gas to the inside of the shock absorber, the oil is much less likely to foam.

Imagine the oil with a bunch of air molecules in it. The size of these molecules will increase if the air becomes heated which can happen when the oil is rapidly moved from one place to another.

If high pressure gas is present in the shock absorber it will prevent these air molecules from growing in size to form bubbles. Because they can't grow, they won't cause the foam in the oil.

This idea of high pressure preventing air bubbles from growing is very apparent in bottles of carbinated soft drinks.

The gas is not apparent until the top if removed from the bottle. Then, without any high pressure the bubbles enlarge and float to the top.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:23   #3520
BHPian

Thank you for that explanation Jim. What could be the reason for the oil leak? And is replacement of the shock absorber the only alternative once you notice that the oil has leaked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Gas shock absorbers use oil to dampen the movement of whatever they are attached to.

If the shock absorber must move rapidly the oil can be worked into a foam of air and oil.
If this happens the oil will lose it's ability to dampen the movement.

By adding high pressure gas to the inside of the shock absorber, the oil is much less likely to foam.

Imagine the oil with a bunch of air molecules in it. The size of these molecules will increase if the air becomes heated which can happen when the oil is rapidly moved from one place to another.

If high pressure gas is present in the shock absorber it will prevent these air molecules from growing in size to form bubbles. Because they can't grow, they won't cause the foam in the oil.

This idea of high pressure preventing air bubbles from growing is very apparent in bottles of carbinated soft drinks.

The gas is not apparent until the top if removed from the bottle. Then, without any high pressure the bubbles enlarge and float to the top.
magiceye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 00:50   #3521
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the shock absorber should not be leaking with 19,500 Km (12,000 miles) on it but if it has spent those Km riding on bumpy, pot holed streets it could just be worn out.

The reason it leaks is because of the failure of the rubber seal where the movable shaft enters the cartridge.

Almost all shock absorbers are factory sealed and there is no way of replacing the failing seals. The only alternative is to buy a new unit.

Because there is one on each side of the motorcycle rear swing arm it is important to replace both of them if one of them is going bad.
I say this because if the existing shock absorbers have a lot of wear on them their ability to dampen the movement of the swing arm is very likely also poor.

If only one of them was replaced, the new shock absorber would dampen the movement very effectively but if the other shock absorber was working poorly the imbalance could generate a twisting of the swing arm every time you hit a bump.

This twisting could have a very negative effect on the handling of the motorcycle.

Sorry I don't have any magic solutions for your problem.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 18:41   #3522

I did try looking up one point but the posts were either very old or it did not provide the kind of answer I was looking at.

I am a newbie with a less than a month old RE Classic 500 cc. I was thinking of getting LED lights as Aux/Add ons. Can anyone please guide me as to which one to get? I am looking for a spot beam instead of a flood beam. I am from Hyderabad, so specifics would be really helpful and I will be forever indebted.

Thanks in advance!
csubhojit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 22:30   #3523

Found a very good RE mechanic here in Hyderabad. Best part, he works at the RE Service Center. My 28 day old RE Classic 500 was having the following problems:
1. Very tight gears. So tight that I had to wear shoes to be able to change the gears, slippers were ineffective as they lack heels
2. There was a rattling noise whenever I opened the accelerator for pickup. This was uniform across all gears.
3. Even when stationary, if the bike was tilted to the right side, there was a clattering noise which seemed to come from the gear box
He took a look at it this morning and said immediately that the problem with the noise was due to a missing washer inside the gear box. Just by listening to the noise! He said that the gearbox would need to be opened and would most probably take till Monday. However, I requested him to try and do it by evening today as I have a meetup with fellow RE owners here in Hyd tomorrow. He said he would try.
He stayed beyond his shift just to complete the work on my RE by evening today. He also showed me some basic stuff like changing engine oil, opening and cleaning the spark plugs, mounting and unmounting the silencer. Working on the auto tension mechanism of the chain as the tension was too high. I intend to learn more from him.
Result:
1. Gears are as smooth as silk. No clunk noise when I change the gears.
2. Rattling noise gone
3. Clattering noise also gone.
4. I had not observed this because this is my first RE and hence did not know what to expect. But now, the ride has become really smooth. If I compare with before the servicing, then I can say that there was a rasping tone to the thump. Its a beautiful dug dug now.
Do let me know if you need his contact details.
csubhojit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 13:22   #3524
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be soon replacing the rear tyre of my Classic 500 Desert Storm. Is it advisable to go for a tubeless rear tyre?

Also, what brand should I look for? I don't intend to upsize or downsize.
//M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 08:18   #3525
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I noticed yesterday that the at least 2 teeth from the rear sprocket of my bike are missing. Just wanted to ask if anyone knows how much would it cost to get the sprocket changed from the service centre? Or is it advisable to get the complete chain set replaced?

Thanks!
cataclysm is offline   Reply With Quote