Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th May 2014, 00:14   #3541
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

There can be a host of reasons your brothers motorcycle doesn't preform up to your motorcycles standards other than the computer map.

A dirty air filter, old spark plug, dragging brake, unlubricated rear chain, incorrect setting of the Throttle Position Sensor setting, excessivly low tyre pressure, to name a few of the more likely candidates.
ArizonaJim is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 08:42   #3542
BHPian

Again got stranded today due to an empty tank. The Fuel indicator failed again.

Had to start to push the bike again. Thats when 2 teens on a new bike stopped and helped to push the bike. Thanked them from the bottom of my heart, and reminded me that some of the humanity still exists in the world!!
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 13:46   #3543
Senior - BHPian

I have been having some issues with the fuel indicator on my DS 500. Even with more than half a tank of petrol the indicator comes on. This always prompts me to keep the fuel tank in full.

Any suggestions to get this rectified?

Also, has anyone found the DS color in a spray can or tin? Ive got some stone chips Id like to cover up.

1750km only done in 6 months. The bike is a peach despite the problem mentioned right on top of this post.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 03:02   #3544
BHPian

Buy a Sharpie or similar fine tip permanent marker and record the last three digits of the odometer on the motorcycles handlebar the next time you fill the tank.

I carry my Sharpie in my saddle bag but it could easily be taped to the front downtube of the frame, the crash bar or even the speedometer drive cable with a piece of duct tape.

Mentally add 300 km to the number to determine the next time you should refill the petrol tank. At the next fill-up, again write the new value of the last three digits of the odometer reading.

Although quite waterproof, the old marking can easily be removed from the chrome handlebar with a wet finger and a bit of hard rubbing.
ArizonaJim is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 09:02   #3545
Senior - BHPian

So after 29 months and 5077Kms
Its time to get a New Battery.
Unable to find any other 14 AH apart from Exide?
Any other option,especially a dry battery if possible.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 09:10   #3546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Unable to find any other 14 AH apart from Exide?
You have Fiamm and Exide only with that spec. No Amaron in that spec. Better go for Exide as my one-year/9 k km old Fiamm Wind battery has already become weak.
J.Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 13:54   #3547
BHPian

Completed 10000Kms on my RE !
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-10k.jpg  

anandkenkare is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 11:24   #3548
BHPian

Guys can someone identify the make/model of the front tyre of this bike. I really would like something like this on my CL500.
Attached Images

anandkenkare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 09:53   #3549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkenkare View Post
Guys can someone identify the make/model of the front tyre of this bike. I really would like something like this on my CL500.
Pirelli MT60. Hard to come by these days. Nevertheless one great piece of rubber!
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 18:45   #3550
BHPian

Something similar looking would be MRF Meteor. Though I am unsure whether it will be suitable as a Front tyre
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 08:59   #3551
Senior - BHPian

You can go for CEAT Gripp 90/90-19(IIRC) which is OEM for Hero Impulse. My friend recently switched to it and is impressed by its performance when compared to the stock zapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Something similar looking would be MRF Meteor. Though I am unsure whether it will be suitable as a Front tyre
Meteor had a 110-19 model which is a bit wide to be used as front tire.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 21st May 2014 at 09:01.
man_of_steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 09:56   #3552
BHPian

Found an interesting video in youtube to improve the rear brake of Enfields .if some one tried this modification already please post the reviews

Link :
justin.das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 03:36   #3553
BHPian

This video has been around for some time and a large number of people who have seen it agree. Don't do the revision that it proposes.

Leaving the two bolts just "snug" as the video suggests will allow the bolts to loosen up, possibly falling out, leaving the rider with no rear brake at all.

The design was never intended to be free floating as the guy in the video says it was.

Had the rear brake been designed to allow the actuating cam to be free floating there would be spacers with a precision thickness located over the body of the bolts. These would be riding in enlarged elongated slots.
These spacers would permit the cam bush to move while allowing the bolts and nuts to be firmly tightened firmly as they should be.

There is a procedure for centralizing the brake shoe cam but it is highly recommended that once the cam is centralized the two bolts on the cam bush are fully tightened.

The rear brake assembly (backing plate, cam bush, brake shoes and springs) also needs to be centered with the drum when the rear chain is adjusted before the large nut on the axle and the slightly smaller nut and washer on the backing plate stud are tightened.

This is done by expanding the brake shoes by tightening the rear brake lever rod nut until the wheel won't turn freely. Then, the two large nuts are tightened to hold it in position. Once done, the rear brake lever rod nut is loosened to allow the wheel to spin freely but to lock up when the rear brake lever is stepped on.
ArizonaJim is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 18:22   #3554

The "rear tire rubbing against the right side of the rear fender" is an issue I have seen mentioned over and over again in this forum, but I don't think anyone has mentioned a conclusive solution to it.

Actually the only solution that I saw was, about fitting a bush to ensure there is enough gap between the tire and the fender. This solution came with the warning that, by doing so will inadvertently make scratches on the top of the fender where the pillion seat will come in contact with it.

Anyone know why the fender gets misaligned in the first place? I have noticed a shift towards the left on multiple classic models.

The mechanics at the showroom seems to draw a blank. They solution was also to fit a bush to ensure the gap is maintained.

Let me know what you guy think. Any advice is welcome.
jundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 11:02   #3555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jundi View Post
Anyone know why the fender gets misaligned in the first place? I have noticed a shift towards the left on multiple classic models.
Simple. RE build quality! Ever noticed the tail lamps of brand new Electras/Classics/TBs?? They are all skewed in one direction or other. Same case with the front mudguard too!

Although things have slightly improved from classics to TBs to Continentals, issues like these are still there.
man_of_steel is online now   Reply With Quote