Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd June 2015, 12:11   #3721
BHPian

Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Thanks ArizonaJim.

The pins have rounded ends and offer very little purchase when gripped with long nosed pliers.
I hope you tried this after removing both the cam wheels.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:38   #3722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I hope you tried this after removing both the cam wheels.
regards adrian
Hi Adrian,

No, we didn't remove the timing pinions.
The intent was to push the lifters up using our fingers without removing the pinions. We did manage to move the lifters up and down fairly easily.

Is there a co-relation?
bikertillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:24   #3723
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Adrian,

No, we didn't remove the timing pinions.
The intent was to push the lifters up using our fingers without removing the pinions. We did manage to move the lifters up and down fairly easily.

Is there a co-relation?
Even with the rocker arm and the push rods removed, the hydraulic lifters are in a loaded up position on the cam lobes. If you remove the cam wheels, you can see the lifters dropping further down to the cam spindles. I think in the loaded up condition over the cam wheels, the hydraulic lifters would have exerted sufficient force on the pins disabling you from removing them from that awkward angle.

regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 17:57   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Even with the rocker arm and the push rods removed, the hydraulic lifters are in a loaded up position on the cam lobes. If you remove the cam wheels, you can see the lifters dropping further down to the cam spindles. I think in the loaded up condition over the cam wheels, the hydraulic lifters would have exerted sufficient force on the pins disabling you from removing them from that awkward angle.

regards adrian
Interesting observation.

I was able to move the lifters up and down quite easily with my fingers despite having the timing pinions in place... never thought that the pins would be jammed in position.

Will surely try this out if & when time permits.

Thanks for your suggestion Adrian.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:36   #3725
AWD
BANNED

Fellow Bulleteers, Im in the market for a used Bullet. Bull should in mint condition & I would opt for higher models like a yr or two old, low mileage. Now I wanna know which Bullet to get, 500 or 350 & which year model. Im asking the year because I've heard Enfield made some changes to the classic, post which the bikes are more reliable. I want the most improved Classic.

Also any ideas on the resale prices ?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 21:06   #3726
BHPian

Quote:
Will surely try this out if & when time permits.
Thanks for your suggestion Adrian.
Just had a look at the workshop manual.

Name:  HVL.jpg
Views: 2973
Size:  184.1 KB

The pin number 2 is positioned in between two ridges and only a small portion of it is jutting out. So it would be impossible to remove it from an angle using the pliers.
As ArizonaJim has remarked, since you have found out the culprit of the rattling in the misaligned o-ring, it would be better to leave the whole assembly undisturbed as the rattle will resolve once the lifters are loaded with oil over time.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 21:35   #3727
Senior - BHPian

Although it's probably too late to try it, the use of a VERY strong magnet could be tried?

The magnet might be difficult to use with the crankshaft in place because it would try to grab the flywheels but if that could be avoided, it might pull the pins out (possibly with a bit of movement of the lifters to free up any binding they may be causing on the pins.)

As for which year of Royal Enfield to buy, the newer, the better.
I say this not only because the newer ones are likely to have fewer Km on them but Royal Enfield is constantly improving the Bullets.

The wiring harness, the type of fuses, the types of light bulbs and improvements in the transmission shifting mechanics have all been improved over the last 6 years of the UCE production.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 2nd June 2015 at 21:44.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:25   #3728
BHPian

Quote:
The pin number 2 is positioned in between two ridges and only a small portion of it is jutting out. So it would be impossible to remove it from an angle using the pliers.
regards adrian
Thanks.
It requires a bit of contortion, but otherwise, quite possible.
We managed it using bent nose pliers.
Attached Images

bikertillidie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 13:13   #3729
BHPian

Has anyone tried using the carb conversion kit from indimotard?
Would appreciate feedback/concerns from actual users.

https://www.facebook.com/IndiMotard/...type=3&theater

The kit seems sensibly priced and I am thinking of giving it a try in order to sort out the perennial spark plug fouling/jerks which plagues my bike.

Seems the existing TPS sensor would be fitted to the carb provided as part of the kit, but not sure how the MAF & temp sensor inputs are being handled.
Old 5th June 2015, 13:36   #3730
BHPian

We did one for a customer of our mechanic. It was with a BS32 carburetor of Pulsar 220, while the one in the kit shown is a BS33 which comes in RE Classic 500& Pulsar 200NS. His 500 was one of the very first lots which has issues with starting & running. The MIL was always ON.

Now he is happy with BS32. No complaints with starting & running, though you may rejet as per your requirement on performance. Purchased a new carb from a local shop by order, he gave a discount of about 10-15% on MRP. Both BS32 & 33 are available at Bajaj showrooms but on MRP.

What is the difference?
1. Bajaj system comes with electric solenoid controlled by CDI box, taking input from engine temperature sensor. We simply retained the electric choke and installed a switch on the handlebar to actuate the choke.
2. Used a Thunderbird 350 carb flange and accelerator cable
3. From the pentagonal base piece of EFI fuel pump, the pump was removed and outlet hose was directly connected to the carb. As the customer was in a hurry he didn't give us the time to fabricate an aluminium flange as the one in the kit.
4. The TPS & MAP connectors were left open ended.

Attached is a picture of my colleague's Electra with BS32 carburetor, not the UCE500 mentioned above. The choke switch was sourced from AliExpress. If you are not interested in waiting for a month you may use the horn switch/dipper of Rajdoot which snuggle fits around the handlebar pipe.

Quote:
Has anyone tried using the carb conversion kit from indimotard?
Would appreciate feedback/concerns from actual users.

https://www.facebook.com/IndiMotard/...type=3&theater

The kit seems sensibly priced and I am thinking of giving it a try in order to sort out the perennial spark plug fouling/jerks which plagues my bike.

Seems the existing TPS sensor would be fitted to the carb provided as part of the kit, but not sure how the MAF & temp sensor inputs are being handled.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-choke_switch.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 5th June 2015 at 13:39.
ilangop is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 14:20   #3731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
We did one for a customer of our mechanic. It was with a BS32 carburetor of Pulsar 220, while the one in the kit shown is a BS33 which comes in RE Classic 500& Pulsar 200NS. His 500 was one of the very first lots which has issues with starting & running. The MIL was always ON
Ilango,
Thanks a lot !
I' ll call you over the weekend to discuss this further.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th June 2015 at 21:37. Reason: Please dont quote entire long post for a short reply. Thanks!
Old 8th June 2015, 12:09   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Lovely job bikertillidie. Hats off bro! Do keep us updated as to tuning and change in power delivery.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 13:53   #3733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remaining spares were procured from a friendly RE spare parts distributor in the Hadapsar area, who also provides a fair discount off MRP pricing.
I am in the Hadapsar area too (Akashwani). Let's meet up some time. I would definitely like to know this shop as my mech is in the same area and most of the time he has to go all the way till Nanapeth to get stuff. So sometimes either he adopts workarounds, or some stuff remains undone. This would be a good option hence, especially if he is as well stocked as to keep petrol cock mounting flanges in his inventory. The discount wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited by ebonho : 8th June 2015 at 13:55.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 13:58   #3734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I am in the Hadapsar area too (Akashwani). Let's meet up some time. I would definitely like to know this shop as my mech is in the same area and most of the time he has to go all the way till Nanapeth to get stuff. So sometimes either he adopts workarounds, or some stuff remains undone. This would be a good option hence, especially if he is as well stocked as to keep petrol cock mounting flanges in his inventory. The discount wouldn't hurt either.
Sure, let's do that.
I will PM you my contact details.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 16:40   #3735

Hi all ,
Has anyone tried the EFI to Carb converter kit from Indimotard. Is there a thread for this? Can someone please help me out?
arjun.vanil is offline   Reply With Quote