Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2016, 05:32   #3856
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: pune
Posts: 204
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hi
Whats the top speed of the fastest bullet?
Whats the best cruising speed of the fastest bull?
continental and 500 owners, let me know please. FE is not an issue.
Jr Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 08:46   #3857
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 81
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Hi
Whats the top speed of the fastest bullet?
Whats the best cruising speed of the fastest bull?
continental and 500 owners, let me know please. FE is not an issue.

C500 can go up to 130kmph easily but anything beyond that is straining it. Bullets aren't meant for top speeds, cruising speed is ideally 80 or even 100 on really empty highways for a c5.

Continental is much more zippier, it will go up to a 140 but again cruising it at 100/110 is quite enjoyable
zee_bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 22:13   #3858
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 81
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Help needed, my bike has been jerking a lot since the past 6 months, showed it to the service guys and they just said its the after market exhaust, which is not the problem. Have cleaned the efi twice as well.

Today sent for another check up after last week's service and now they say my ECU system is rusted?!? How the hell does that happen to a bike that is kept under covers like a baby and ridden only 12k kms in 2 years? I use it every week 3-4 times for a short ride after work as a de-stresser. They claim low usage is the reason, obviously the bike is not under warranty and the new ecu is for around 10k.

Thinking of writing to Enfield but have low hopes. Suggestions for a solution needed and well appreciated in advance! Thanks
zee_bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 07:56   #3859
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 986
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Help needed, my bike has been jerking a lot since the past 6 months, showed it to the service guys and they just said its the after market exhaust, which is not the problem. Have cleaned the efi twice as well.

Today sent for another check up after last week's service and now they say my ECU system is rusted?!? How the hell does that happen to a bike that is kept under covers like a baby and ridden only 12k kms in 2 years? I use it every week 3-4 times for a short ride after work as a de-stresser. They claim low usage is the reason, obviously the bike is not under warranty and the new ecu is for around 10k.

Thinking of writing to Enfield but have low hopes. Suggestions for a solution needed and well appreciated in advance! Thanks
There maybe couple of reasons. Low usage doesn't effect the ECU much.Two components get effected,one being the pump and the injector being the other. Since your usage is less,there mite be a possibility that the injectors might have got clogged due to gumming or some impurities from the fuel. Jerking issue is normally related to a sick injector. Suggest you to get the injector and the pump cleaned. Also you can get the ignition system checked in case of a faulty ignition coil or any loose connections.
If nothing works out, you can do a carb conversion which is much more reliable the the RE efi system.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 17th February 2016 at 08:04.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 09:35   #3860
BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore / Coc
Posts: 662
Thanked: 1,153 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Hi
Whats the top speed of the fastest bullet?
Whats the best cruising speed of the fastest bull?
continental and 500 owners, let me know please. FE is not an issue.
I assume that by fastest Bullet, you are referring to fastest Royal Enfield motorcycle. To my knowledge, the Continental GT is the quickest accelerating bike from their stable and has the highest top speed as well. I have heard of Continental GT owners seeing an indicated 140 + kmph on wide empty highway roads bereft of traffic or people. Ive seen speeds close to that on my bike.


Best cruising speed could vary from person to person. You can cruise at an indicated 120 kmph on the Continental. Higher even. I cant for long rides, I prefer locking it in at 95 - 100 kmph on empty highways.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 10:26   #3861
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 982
Thanked: 991 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee_bat View Post
Help needed, my bike has been jerking a lot since the past 6 months, showed it to the service guys and they just said its the after market exhaust, which is not the problem. Have cleaned the efi twice as well.

Today sent for another check up after last week's service and now they say my ECU system is rusted?!? How the hell does that happen to a bike that is kept under covers like a baby and ridden only 12k kms in 2 years? I use it every week 3-4 times for a short ride after work as a de-stresser. They claim low usage is the reason, obviously the bike is not under warranty and the new ecu is for around 10k.

Thinking of writing to Enfield but have low hopes. Suggestions for a solution needed and well appreciated in advance! Thanks
The problem looks like it can be related to the ignition system or the EFi itself. That you have cleaned the EFi twice rules out the sludge formation on the injectors. Have you tried putting on your original silencer to see if the problem occurs? Also how does your spark plug(s) look? Try inspecting them. I would suggest try the cheaper methods first and then decide if you would like to go for an EFi replacement or a carb swapping. Also what does the RE service staff mean by rusted ECU system is beyond me.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 12:35   #3862
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 81
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
The problem looks like it can be related to the ignition system or the EFi itself. That you have cleaned the EFi twice rules out the sludge formation on the injectors. Have you tried putting on your original silencer to see if the problem occurs? Also how does your spark plug(s) look? Try inspecting them. I would suggest try the cheaper methods first and then decide if you would like to go for an EFi replacement or a carb swapping. Also what does the RE service staff mean by rusted ECU system is beyond me.
Exactly! Beyond me as well! I was thinking of the spark plugs and stock silencer too, will try and update. Thanks
zee_bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 13:02   #3863
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NOIDA/Gurgaon
Posts: 83
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Guys,

need some help around the seat for my Classic Desert Storm. I got the lippion seat removed for looks but I have two problems:

1. When I am touring, where do I put my stuff, the bags would not settle without a pillion seat.

2. Is there a stylish way to get both seats done so they look awesome together, the actual pillion seat looka like shit and is no good so either I find a way to get two seats together which look cool or we live with one seat and an appendage to hold the stuff while we tour.

What do you guys suggest and how do you think things should be?

Any suggestions welcome. Idea is to not lose out on style at all but also have the utilitarian value. With single seat its all style and no utiliarian value for tying stuff and having a pillion rider.

Cheers
Infiniti.Rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 14:32   #3864
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 982
Thanked: 991 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Need some help around the seat for my Classic Desert Storm. I got the pillion seat removed for looks but I have two problems:

1. When I am touring, where do I put my stuff, the bags would not settle without a pillion seat.
Mate there is indeed a solution for this problem and an aesthetic and stylish one as per your liking. You can explore the option of adding a rear carrier in the place of your pillion seat. With the carrier acting as a base plate you can easily mount your saddlebags on it without any worry. The rear carrier looks awesome and gives the motorcycle a military look. To just give you an example of how it looks. Check out my 1969 B1 Standard with such a carrier on the below mentioned thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...bullet-17.html (Why Enfield Bullet?)

Post no.254

There are many such models of rear carriers and you can chose as per your liking from chrome to matt to glossy.
Quote:
2. Is there a stylish way to get both seats done so they look awesome together, the actual pillion seat looka like shit and is no good so either I find a way to get two seats together which look cool or we live with one seat and an appendage to hold the stuff while we tour.
Mate there is a special type of seat known as bucket seats(ideal for touring) for RE CL series, it comes in both split as well as joint seat types. Since your's is a Desert Storm a single seat with a rear carrier as I showed you will look much better and will complement the motorcycle, but that's just me. Final choice is yours mate.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 17th February 2016 at 14:34.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 15:44   #3865
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 81
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Any suggestions welcome. Idea is to not lose out on style at all but also have the utilitarian value. With single seat its all style and no utiliarian value for tying stuff and having a pillion Cheers

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1455876809.575600.jpg

Get a custom pillion seat made and bolt it on to the same rack.
zee_bat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 15:49   #3866
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 81
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
The problem looks like it can be related to the ignition system or the EFi itself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
There maybe couple of reasons. Low usage doesn't effect the ECU much.Two components get effected,one being the pump and the injector being the other.

Thank you both for the replies, the problem is solved! Since there was major jerking, the mechanic tried to take out the ecu and examine it, in doing so, he broke the pins on it and hence very cleverly tried to pass it off as "rust". I called up the service Center, spoke to the manager who's an extremely courteous and honest guy, he agreed with me that though the mechanic "broke" the ecu, it was always faulty since I've experienced some form of jerking since month 1 of the bike. Thankfully all is sorted now, the bike is running like a dream and I managed to inspect the broken ecu to make sure the one they put is genuine, verified the part number as well!
zee_bat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 20:49   #3867
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 137
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

I hear occasional squeaking in my DS500 front, 100% sure it's not the disc brakes. I can hear it when riding < 25 kmph speeds.

RE SC checked both forks and claimed the problem has been solved, but I still hear it! Where and what could be the issue?
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 11:07   #3868
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 118
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
I hear occasional squeaking in my DS500 front, 100% sure it's not the disc brakes. I can hear it when riding < 25 kmph speeds.

RE SC checked both forks and claimed the problem has been solved, but I still hear it! Where and what could be the issue?
You can look into the front wheel bearings. How many kms have you done till now?
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 08:52   #3869
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 137
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
You can look into the front wheel bearings. How many kms have you done till now?
That's exactly a young & energetic SA suggested over the phone. Just about 12K on the odo, and the SA is of the opinion that it may require lubricating and should be fine. Will get to know in the following week.

Another issue I face these days is when downshifting, the gear slips to neutral from 3rd. Very frustrating & dangerous when the bike doesn't respond to the throttle after the turn or over the hump, I just don't want to be hit from the behind. The technicians in the SC just adjusted the clutch cable (which I already did) and hoped all-z-well. Now this young chap (SA) agrees to open the clutch box to examine.
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 12:48   #3870
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 118
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Another issue I face these days is when downshifting, the gear slips to neutral from 3rd.
Does the neutral light glow when it happens? If not, then it would be the false neutral in these bikes.
maker_of_things is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 - "The Chrome Decimator" xydon Motorbikes 17 9th February 2016 12:12
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale Puffdamgcdragon Motorbikes 1173 18th September 2012 17:31
Booked Royal Enfield Classic 500 but need help whether should wait for carb ketan4renault Motorbikes 12 29th June 2011 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks