Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2016, 06:43   #3886
Newbie
 
Not.The.BetiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Congrats for your booking mate!!

However from my personal experience I feel that the RE customer care is more responsive and helpful.

Be in touch with different dealers in Bangalore, just to get the fair idea about waiting period and also try to see if there is any DS in stock with them,
Thanks man. I hope to ride it soon. Thanks for the heads up regarding RE customer care.

Did you buy your DS from Bangalore? If yes, will you point out the particular outlet? I will go there and seek information regarding stock of DS.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Not.The.BetiB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 19:47   #3887
BHPian
 
DragonHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: B'lore-Puttur
Posts: 296
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not.The.BetiB View Post
Thanks man. I hope to ride it soon. Thanks for the heads up regarding RE customer care.

Did you buy your DS from Bangalore? If yes, will you point out the particular outlet? I will go there and seek information regarding stock of DS.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Sorry buddy, I bought it from Frontline Motors, Mangalore. However I would suggest you can check with Sai Ram autocraft, Mahadevpura. If not you can keep in touch with Brand store near BTM lake.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 20:53   #3888
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
That's exactly a young & energetic SA suggested over the phone. Just about 12K on the odo, and the SA is of the opinion that it may require lubricating and should be fine. Will get to know in the following week.
The front axle was oiled, but the squeaks came back with a vengeance, the squeaks are now more audible and unique!!!

Took the bike again after a week, this time after a test ride, they determined that the sound is from the disc brakes. Will require brake pad cleaning and resurfacing the disc. But it's only a hunch.

I was explained the 2nd gear slip is false-neutral issue, which is not resolved yet, perhaps next time.
But whenever this happens the neutral green light glows, so it cannot be false-neutral.

Last edited by sgmitr13 : 10th March 2016 at 20:55.
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 13:43   #3889
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: guwahati
Posts: 31
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Sharing some pics of my Classic 500 Black.
Got in on 2nd sept 2015. Completely niggle free till now. Fourth service done. Bike has opened up beautifully and is a pleasure to ride! Am completely in love with it! Milage is around 30 inside Guwahati and 34'ish on the highway.
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-11951154_10207413947049454_6503528587999423877_n.jpg

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-12042856_10207531058297162_5420846465373911298_n.jpg
ankan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 18:56   #3890
Newbie
 
Not.The.BetiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hi good people of team-bhp, I have a doubt regarding the procedure to be followed after booking DS.

I was informed by the RE sale executive that I have to make full payment even before I could see the allotted bike in flesh.

I was under impression that the bike gets allotted after booking and full payment is done after one sees it. Then the bike goes for registration.

Which one of the above scenario holds true? Please help for good karma. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Aradhya.

Last edited by Not.The.BetiB : 18th March 2016 at 19:03.
Not.The.BetiB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:52   #3891
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not.The.BetiB View Post
Hi good people of team-bhp, I have a doubt regarding the procedure to be followed after booking DS.

I was informed by the RE sale executive that I have to make full payment even before I could see the allotted bike in flesh.

I was under impression that the bike gets allotted after booking and full payment is done after one sees it. Then the bike goes for registration.

Which one of the above scenario holds true? Please help for good karma. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Aradhya.
I know exactly how you feel, because I was in the same state roughly 7 months ago. Unreasonable from RE but the motorcycle will be allotted to you only after the full payment.

I was able to cut a deal with the guy from dealership who handled my buy. I told him "Ok, I'll make full payment before seeing the bike but even if there is a small screw hanging loose I won't take delivery." He said - "Do one thing sir, come to the shop very early on Sunday before 9.30. None of my colleagues would have reached yet. I'll show you the lot we have received, you can pick the one you want. You can not start or take it for a ride, you can only see. Please understand this is not allowed and do not tell anybody in the shop about it." Needless to say I was generous to him on the day I got the bike. After all, I bugged him at least 2-3 times a week for 1 and a half months over phone and visited every weekend till I got my ride.

May be I was lucky, they called up for full payment just before the weekend and I had a chance to look at the bike before it was registered. And yeah, I'll never know which one I would have been allotted out of 6 silver classics they had in stock, I rejected 2 of them on my visual inspection due to small scratches and rust before picking mine.
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 16:21   #3892
BHPian
 
maker_of_things's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 129
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Guys, a quick question. My 2012 Classic 500 has run almost 27k kms on factory fitted spark plugs. Though the mechanic said during last service that the spark plug is fine and doesn't need replacement. I'm thinking of having it replaced.

Would the standard Bosch Platinum (if I'm not wrong) do, or should I go for NGK iridium plugs? Any difference in iridium plugs?
maker_of_things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 19:03   #3893
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 561
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Double posts back to back sorry !!

Last edited by The Great : 24th March 2016 at 19:08.
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 19:07   #3894
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 561
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
I did a little search on the net and found the following results-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
One must be careful using the numbers on spark plugs to determine the heat range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
Guys, a quick question. My 2012 Classic 500 has run almost 27k kms on factory fitted spark plugs. Though the mechanic said during last service that the spark plug is fine and doesn't need replacement. I'm thinking of having it replaced.
Would the standard Bosch Platinum (if I'm not wrong) do, or should I go for NGK iridium plugs? Any difference in iridium plugs?
The above quotes by Ironhead and ArizonaJim have your answer.

Go with the company recommended plugs. You have already got first hand experience that these have lasted for 27k Kms.

Iridiums are just more resistant to erosion. There will be no performance gain whatsoever, its a common myth that iridiums perform better and the fact is its the other way round.

On the other hand copper plugs (standard regular ones) are best because they use copper which is great for combustion of the engine as copper is more conductive than other metals and provides a stronger spark (as opposed to iridium ones namely). Generally 20/30k kms is the average time a copper plug has to be changed (at least that's the way I follow), whereas the Iridiums usually last twice that time.

Iridiums cost significantly higher than copper ones and last much longer - thats it. There is no performance gain over the common copper plug.

Enfield recommends Platinum ones as per heating range.

Last edited by ampere : 28th March 2016 at 11:08. Reason: Edited out long quotes
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 16:04   #3895
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
The front axle was oiled, but the squeaks came back with a vengeance, the squeaks are now more audible and unique!!!

Took the bike again after a week, this time after a test ride, they determined that the sound is from the disc brakes. Will require brake pad cleaning and resurfacing the disc. But it's only a hunch.

I was explained the 2nd gear slip is false-neutral issue, which is not resolved yet, perhaps next time.
But whenever this happens the neutral green light glows, so it cannot be false-neutral.
4th visit in 1.5 months for the same nagging distinct squeaking noise audible from the front. This time the forks, discs and axle were thoroughly cleaned (wonder why it was not a thorough job previously). Bearings were checked for shakes, and yet that squeaks did not disappear completely. The noise is faint and this time it is noticeable when riding on an incline.

Bike is 13.5K on Odo, any recommended brand for the bearings?
sgmitr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 21:00   #3896
BHPian
 
Spark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 81
Thanked: 4 Times
Smile Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Hello Team,
I have been thinking of booking a classic since some time now and once in a while go through RE Classic threads to check ownership reviews and forthcoming improvements.

I have to say that I am a bit concerned looking at the number of EFI to Carb conversion that are being discussed in addition of other small characteristic niggles of beloved RE.

Would you please pour in your experiences and opinions "If RE EFI system is really that hard to live with in India or is it just a "New mod to do" from DYI enthusiasts (I wouldn't call it a trend because there must be something seriously wrong that some one took extremes as to invest additional money time and sweat to overcome those issues).

Any and all comments are welcome and would be helpful in making right choice.

Thanks a Ton for taking time to read /and respond

Last edited by Spark : 2nd April 2016 at 21:02.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 22:42   #3897
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 561
Thanked: 505 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Hello Team,
I have been thinking of booking a classic since some time now and once in a while go through RE Classic threads to check ownership reviews and forthcoming improvements.

I have to say that I am a bit concerned looking at the number of EFI to Carb conversion that are being discussed in addition of other small characteristic niggles of beloved RE.

Would you please pour in your experiences and opinions "If RE EFI system is really that hard to live with in India or is it just a "New mod to do" from DYI enthusiasts (I wouldn't call it a trend because there must be something seriously wrong that some one took extremes as to invest additional money time and sweat to overcome those issues).

Any and all comments are welcome and would be helpful in making right choice.

Thanks a Ton for taking time to read /and respond
RE EFI system is not really that hard to live with. Although I have a very limited experience with my Classic 500 Efi yet, but what I have been able to gather from all the threads and other forums is as follows:

The EFI system is robust, but the non existence of fuel gauge has been a big problem. People tend to run the bike with low fuel and hence thereby damage the fuel pump which is expensive.

The EFI has earned a bad reputation with the help of local mechanics who can easily work with the carb, but the fuel injection per-se has been very intimidating to them, although its fairly an easy tech to understand. And instead of providing correct solution they tend to manipulate the customers to convert to carb. This with the help of bad service center experiences puts the Efi to Carb mod theory more famous and thereby creating a bad impression for the Efi.

Lack of oxygen sensor (lambda as its called) on the Indian version to cut costs in India, has also aided much to the heated arguments from the customers and forum members all over.

I was convinced after innumerable private messages with ArizonaJim, navin_v8, Randhawa and Avinash (mobike008), who all patiently helped me with providing right answers to my doubts just like yours.

In theory my car (swift), has never given me any problems with the fuel injection and ecu in the last 9 years of usage. Hence why would the Keihin fuel injection on the Royal Enfield be any different if taken care of properly. Would you convert a Maruti Suzuki Swift to a carburetted one just because the Ecu or the Fuel injection became faulty ? I guess no and hence one would find a solution to it not a jugaad.

Owning an Enfield is an experience in itself. IMO if you are trying to adapt and understand to the carburetted bike then why not with the EFI. Its a process worth understanding. If the FI or ECU on Royal Enfield were so faulty or really that bad then why are the Desert Storms and Classic 500's or Thunderbird 500s still on sale ? Wouldn't the company have already called them back or replaced them with carb's ?

Trust me bro the Fuel Injected Enfield is a different riding experience and the feel of the engine is very different than that of the Bullet 500. And I mean it in a very good way. There is no harm in embracing technology. Its just the perception that differs and creates unnecessary fears.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Last edited by The Great : 2nd April 2016 at 22:45.
The Great is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 00:29   #3898
BHPian
 
saishivaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post

Trust me bro the Fuel Injected Enfield is a different riding experience and the feel of the engine is very different than that of the Bullet 500. And I mean it in a very good way. There is no harm in embracing technology. Its just the perception that differs and creates unnecessary fears.
I second that statement. Quite a few enthusiasts and Enfield patriots seem to have shunned away from EFI for a long time. While Enfields are notoriously unreliable, EFI isn't the one to blame. Its to do with Royal Enfield's inherent quality issues in my honest opinion. I have a Classic 500 Chrome and the I can safely advice people to go for the EFI tech without a second thought. Though I cannot comment on it's reliability since the bike is still only a year old, I can say that the nuances of carb models are absent and the bike feels more crisp than, say, the standard 500. I love the Standard 500 and I would've definitely gone for that, had it been an EFI engine. As mentioned, mechanics are intimidated by the tech and hence the carb conversion is called for.
saishivaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:25   #3899
BHPian
 
Spark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 81
Thanked: 4 Times
Smile Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Thanks "The Great" and "saishivaj" for your valuable experience and opinions.
Have taken TR of Carb 500 and EFI and that's why unable to settle with Carb model despite people swearing on it.
Another thing of concern for EFI is dependency on fuel quality. FQ might be fine with your trusted bunk but how would anyone manage on log tours?
Any impurities could easily be passed-on leading to a clogg Injector and you being stranded in the middle of nowhere. Has anyone experienced that and do we have any First-Aid solutions other than towing the vehicle?
Is keeping a spare Injector a possibility, just in case you find yourself surprised?

Thanks Guys!!!

Last edited by Spark : 3rd April 2016 at 12:27.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 17:13   #3900
BHPian
 
saurabh sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 61
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Thousands of Classic/TB 500 are ridden to Ladakh/Lahaul Spiti circuit with no issues (atleast me & my friends didn't have any). So pretty sure it is designed with patchy quality petrol factored in.
saurabh sharma is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 - "The Chrome Decimator" xydon Motorbikes 17 9th February 2016 12:12
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale Puffdamgcdragon Motorbikes 1173 18th September 2012 17:31
Booked Royal Enfield Classic 500 but need help whether should wait for carb ketan4renault Motorbikes 12 29th June 2011 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks