Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd August 2010, 16:32   #556
Senior - BHPian

@Nasir- Thanks, the main reason for installation was for the aux lights.

Yes the HID are also know as Xenon lights but you can also get xenon halogen bulbs filled with xenon gas. They are readily available in India.

Well to start with, all the hella, philips and bosch kits available in the market are fake. You may ask why? They are plenty of cheap kits available here and abroad but in the long run they turn out a bit expensive as you wont get much warranty and finding replacement parts wont be that easy.

These companies do not sell HID kits but do sell individual HID components. Some people do sell a original kit which they collect the necessary items and ship it but they are expensive. If someone is selling a bosch or hella HID kit then there are high chances of it being totally chinese fake.

In the end its all about how much money you can spend on said product.

Any descent make or a good brand kit will come with min 1 year warranty for bulb and lifetime warranty for ballast.

Kits start from as cheap as 3k to 10k for a bi-xenon single bulb/ballast HID kit. More you spend, more satisfaction you will get in terms of product quality and performance.

In my honest opinion a xenon HID bulb should not be fitted into any headlight without a projector lens to get the true benefit of a hid performance. With the help of a projector lens, the light is focussed straight ahead but without one it is waisted by spreading it in a larger diameter and shortening the through distance.

But we will have to do with a dome without a projector and cant reap max benefit from it.

Other thing you should keep in mind is that whatever make you get but never get any HID bulb more then 5000K(temp range). Personally I will stick with 4300K for the bulb.

K is basically the temp range and more higher you go, more heat is produced and less light emitted from the bulb. In short more blueish you go, lesser the light and just showoff without any benefit from it.

Pros
Stick with 4300K for bulb and you will have a brighter light
LOnger life compared to normal halogen bulb
Lesser heat produced if you stick with 4300k bulb(halogen emits 5000k)
Low consumption if you get the 35W

Cons
Longer time to charge up.
Life depends on how many time you switch it on and off or use high beam.
Expensive replacement parts
Without a projector you are not reaping max benefits

If you intent to use only one HID then go for 50w Kit otherwise go for 35w kit.

There are three kind of blast available in the market.
Fat one piece with inbuilt ignitor-
Slim one with separate ignitor
Slim one with inbuilt ignitor.( This is my favorite as its hardly 1cm thick and single piece unit-no separate ignitor unit) quite expensive. This one is very hard to find and not many companies make them. I know of only one company in Canada which makes them and it was with lifetime warranty on the ballast.

You should also keep in mind the space requirements for the ballast(depends which one you get) and securing it so no one steals it. If any one sees it hanging around then you run high risk of getting it stoled.

If you go for the slim design with the ignitor then still you will have a chance to fit it behind the headlight. But if you can get a slim ballast without a ignitor then its the best.

When you get it installed then you should always carry a spare halogen bulb with holder just in case if the HID bulb goes off then you can fix the old one(on OEM wiring and not on to the ballast wiring) in and carry on.

Regarding your relay problem, I did mentioned it you on using areldite and also if you can find a electronic relay from a car which has one. Usually they are sealed and water tight. Once areldite dries off then it will not conduct electricity.

Its standard procedure for RE to use locklite on the LH side chamber. Its not a CI bullet where you need plenty of gasket to stop leaking. On a UCE engine it has a gasket only on RH side chamber. UCE engine has been developed by using pressure die-cast mold and not the old style of gravity die cast. Hence it has the precision to join the chamber with the engine casing without using any gasket and still not leak. Using locklite is just a precautionary measure. On mine they used locklite and other time it was silicon.

Last edited by Randhawa : 23rd August 2010 at 16:36.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 11:30   #557
BHPian

Wow, Thats a lot if info on the HIDs. Will take some time to absorb and sink in. Thanks. Shall trouble you more with this subject as and when required.

I hope we dont need to do external wiring circuit ( like the horn relay) to fix the HID light. Or do we?
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 12:39   #558
BHPian

Thanks for the info Randhawa. I will look into the pros and cons before deciding on it.
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 17:08   #559
Senior - BHPian

@Nasir- If you are changing only the primary light to HID then no need but for aux lights you will have to add a relay and separate wiring.

@madkhris- No problemo
Old 24th August 2010, 17:22   #560
BHPian

Yes, I am looking at only the primary headlight to HID. Personally i am not a big fan of aux lights, also i try and avoid highway riding after the dusk.

Was considering HID to get brighter visibility compared to stock ( and the white light part of it). Shall go to JC road and check the availability.

BANGALORE GUYS: any inputs on best place to source a 50W HID kit for C5??
Old 25th August 2010, 12:00   #561
BHPian

@Nasir: Please try Sandhya Auto spares (authorized store for RE spares) on JC road. It is Behind the SBI building. .Ph : 22270203
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 13:18   #562
BHPian

Quote:
@Nasir: Please try Sandhya Auto spares (authorized store for RE spares) on JC road. It is Behind the SBI building. .Ph : 22270203
Thanks Madhkris.

i visit sandhya spares quite frequently. Was not too sure if they have HID kit for the bulls. Will call and check.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:59   #563
BHPian

Default RE C350 or C500 or Thunderbird Twinspark

Hi Buleeteers,

I have driven Thunderbird in the past,now I am mostly a Palio MJD addicted to torque.

Looking forward to do some biking and after reading the reviews feel an RE is better than the Yamaha,Suzuki,Honda,Pulsar & Apache on Indian roads

Please suggest me which RE is best in terms of ride,maintenance,fuel economy

Thanks
Amar
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 21:54   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Hi Buleeteers,

I have driven Thunderbird in the past,now I am mostly a Palio MJD addicted to torque.

Looking forward to do some biking and after reading the reviews feel an RE is better than the Yamaha,Suzuki,Honda,Pulsar & Apache on Indian roads

Thanks
Amar
If you are more for touring long distances then go for thunderbird without a doubt or else go for a electra.
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 11:16   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Buleeteers,

Thanks
Amar
Dont even think twice. Go for C5. you will not regret in the long run. (hopefully)
Old 27th August 2010, 11:41   #566
BHPian

OK. let me try and elaborate:

As you yourself have mentioned that you are addicted to torque. The C5 is got 42+odd NM of same, the max as of now on any Indian made bike.
Makes hills/mountains/ghat sections and even highways a breeze. Overtaking is much more confident on C5 on the highway. you can feel the torque and would love how the bike pulls from 40kmph to 110kmph.

The C5 is got some initial issues, but RE is addressing those. By the time you get yours, most of it would be taken care of. Thunderbird may score a brownie when it comes to comfort. But a bit of tweaking the handlebar and the seat on C5 and you would be as comfortable on a C5, if not more. (you have used a TB in past, so would be able to judge yourself on that front). Some people believe that 18" tyres on C5 are a curse, and some believe that its a boon, depending on personal choices. However, up sizing to 19" is very much possible, just in case you were wondering.

If one can pay 1.2 lakhs for a TBTS/C350, why not pay another 30k and get that 13.3 NM of EXTRA torque and 7.4 BHP of EXTRA Power. ( In my opinion, all RE bikes are way overpriced)

ONe of the arguments would be that, technically, the C5 is more advanced technology, with EFI, ECU, sensors, blah blah etc, which may be more reliable from maintenance point of view, but the bike is too new in the market to confirm that. others would disagree saying the other carbed models are more simple and mechanical and would generate more confidence to personally sort-out the issues incase of a breakdown. Sofar, not many C5 have reported problems with these areas, to add a + to the C5.

So if money is not a big issue, (which also means you would not mind getting a few kms less per litre from a C5), give it shot.

PS dont base your opinion on the TEST-RIDE bike, as majority of them have been abused badly.
Old 27th August 2010, 17:00   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
OK. let me try and elaborate:

As you yourself have mentioned that you are addicted to torque. The C5 is got 42+odd NM of same, the max as of now on any Indian made bike.
Makes hills/mountains/ghat sections and even highways a breeze. Overtaking is much more confident on C5 on the highway. you can feel the torque and would love how the bike pulls from 40kmph to 110kmph.

The C5 is got some initial issues, but RE is addressing those. By the time you get yours, most of it would be taken care of. Thunderbird may score a brownie when it comes to comfort. But a bit of tweaking the handlebar and the seat on C5 and you would be as comfortable on a C5, if not more. (you have used a TB in past, so would be able to judge yourself on that front). Some people believe that 18" tyres on C5 are a curse, and some believe that its a boon, depending on personal choices. However, up sizing to 19" is very much possible, just in case you were wondering.

If one can pay 1.2 lakhs for a TBTS/C350, why not pay another 30k and get that 13.3 NM of EXTRA torque and 7.4 BHP of EXTRA Power. ( In my opinion, all RE bikes are way overpriced)

ONe of the arguments would be that, technically, the C5 is more advanced technology, with EFI, ECU, sensors, blah blah etc, which may be more reliable from maintenance point of view, but the bike is too new in the market to confirm that. others would disagree saying the other carbed models are more simple and mechanical and would generate more confidence to personally sort-out the issues incase of a breakdown. Sofar, not many C5 have reported problems with these areas, to add a + to the C5.

So if money is not a big issue, (which also means you would not mind getting a few kms less per litre from a C5), give it shot.

PS dont base your opinion on the TEST-RIDE bike, as majority of them have been abused badly.
Thanks indeed for your honest feedback

What is the fuel economy I can expect from a C5 in Bangalore city driving and Highways as compared to C3.5 and TBTS.

The EFI should definitely be better than regular carburetor of C3.5 & TBTS,support and maintenance is yet to be seen.

From all the issues being reported on C5,it seems getting a used one after few months make more sense as all issues and runnin would have been taken care.

Bulleteers please advise
Old 27th August 2010, 18:45   #568
BHPian

Quote:
What is the fuel economy I can expect from a C5 in Bangalore city driving and Highways as compared to C3.5 and TBTS.
C5 mileage is quite low compared to CL350/TBTS/Electra.

C5 should give you around 25kmpl whereas the 350 mill should be around 34-35kmpl. (I am getting around 35kmpl in city and 45kmpl on Highway on my Electra UCE 350)

Quote:
The EFI should definitely be better than regular carburetor of C3.5 & TBTS,support and maintenance is yet to be seen.
Not necessarily, the EFI has not been properly detuned for all Indian conditions. As you know, Indian climate conditions are never consistent, especially in Bangalore.

Also take into consideration too, the inconsistent quality of fuel used.

RE service centres simply does not have the complete technical know-how when it comes to EFI.

So, until the act gets right, expect issues to crop up.

Quote:
From all the issues being reported on C5,it seems getting a used one after few months make more sense as all issues and runnin would have been taken care.
If you plan to get a C5 after some months, wait for RE to take care of most of the problems and buy a new C5 rather than buying a used one.

It is always better to run-in the bike yourself. It will teach you patience and also the right way to handle and maintain your bike.

And the joy of owning a brand new bike is something that you have to experience, especially when it comes to a RE, you will cherish it for a lifetime!
KA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 20:02   #569
BHPian

Default Should wait uptill 2011 then for a new Issueless C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
C5 mileage is quite low compared to CL350/TBTS/Electra.

C5 should give you around 25kmpl whereas the 350 mill should be around 34-35kmpl. (I am getting around 35kmpl in city and 45kmpl on Highway on my Electra UCE 350)

Not necessarily, the EFI has not been properly detuned for all Indian conditions. As you know, Indian climate conditions are never consistent, especially in Bangalore.

Also take into consideration too, the inconsistent quality of fuel used.

RE service centres simply does not have the complete technical know-how when it comes to EFI.

So, until the act gets right, expect issues to crop up.

If you plan to get a C5 after some months, wait for RE to take care of most of the problems and buy a new C5 rather than buying a used one.

It is always better to run-in the bike yourself. It will teach you patience and also the right way to handle and maintain your bike.

And the joy of owning a brand new bike is something that you have to experience, especially when it comes to a RE, you will cherish it for a lifetime!
Thanks a ton for answering my queries

So we can expect 25-35 kmpl in city & highway for a C5 with EFI

What is the difference between a Electra UCE 350 & Classic 350?

Does the Thunderbird TBTS have the same engine as Electra & Classic or is there any difference apart from the cruiser styling.

How is the Oil Leak and false neutral issues resolved in the new UCE engines?

New C5 in 2011 will have all its issues sorted out by RE , EFI support also will be better by technicians and also the waiting period after booking will definitely be down from the 8 months currently
Old 27th August 2010, 23:08   #570
Senior - BHPian

@Amar- If you stick to 80-90km/h then you will get around 28-32km/L but if you can thump along at 65 then you will easily get around 35km/L for C5.

There is no difference in engine except the chassis/ tyre size and looks between Electra and C3.

TBTS share the same engine, actually I should say that the classic engine platform was borrowed from TBTS.

Oil leak was in few and it was due to the quality control problem. The plate which goes over the kick shaft had not so perfect facing inside and misaligned so the oil leaked. I haven't seen any leaks on recent classics or any other UCE engine. False neutral is actually not an issue but needs running in. After first service it keeps improving.