Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th September 2010, 12:53   #601
BHPian

Nasir IMO the rear box goes not gel with the character of the motorcycle, though the rear tray without the box looks better. If you could use side panier boxes or bags that would suit the bike to the hilt.

This is just my view, functionality sometimes take priority over form !!!
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 13:04   #602
BHPian

@ Bradhey:

Do agree with you that the box does not go with the from of the bike.

Quote:
This is just my view, functionality sometimes take priority over form !!!
Was exactly the case considering my requirement. The luggage box was selected from a purely utility/ functional point of view, and the aesthetics took a second seat.

I was considering the side luggage box, but decided against them for the following reason:

* none of the side carriers can house my full face helmet.
* it will interfere with my cramster saddle bag on long trips.
* my wife wears sari and sits on the bike with legs on one side. Having a dual side box will make that extremely uncomfortable. If not dual, they look a bit unbalanced.
* you can not remove the side box from the frame with a single push of a button. ( not the ones which are locally available)

NEST STEPS:

OK, Here is what i have in mind. You must have seen the old white colour police bullets with a front fairing. I have ordered one of those for myself. It will take some time to come, but once i get that fairing, i will try and get it painted to C5 green (as close as possible). Once i successfully install that fairing on the bike, with the same colour, i think it it will look nice and balanced, with the rear luggage. The bike would look more retro and more heavy. or so i think??
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 13:45   #603
BHPian

@nasirka..

I hope I have not offended you with my Pizza delivery comment. As you said, the box is very much functional as it can hold a full face helmet too. I would like to know few more things:

Does your leg hit the box while getting on and off the bike? I mean do you have to raise your leg too much to avoid the box?

There is a big gap between the base of the box and brake light. Can this be reduced- I mean can the box be lowered somehow so it doesnt look too much raised and become very conspicuous?

regards

San
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 15:48   #604
BHPian

Quote:
I hope I have not offended you with my Pizza delivery comment. As you said, the box is very much functional as it can hold a full face helmet too. I would like to know few more things:

Does your leg hit the box while getting on and off the bike? I mean do you have to raise your leg too much to avoid the box?

There is a big gap between the base of the box and brake light. Can this be reduced- I mean can the box be lowered somehow so it doesnt look too much raised and become very conspicuous?

Hey, the pizza delivery comment was very much expected. Even before i installed it, i knew it would resemble those delivery bikes.

My leg does not hit the box while getting on/off the bike, but its uncomfortable for a pillion throw his/her leg over. Lowering of box is very-much possible, only it would require some additional welding work on to the base frame.
Old 6th September 2010, 17:32   #605
BHPian

Guys, just thought I'd share this with you. While there have been various riders who have modded their solo seats for better comfort, I went on to try something different on my C350. The stock seat springs didn't do a good job of dampening vibrations; I figured I'd have to be at least 80+ kgs (I am around 70) for the spring to compress and perform. Hence went ahead and made two sets of springs. The 2nd set was a total failure. The 1st one, though slightly longer than stock, turned out to be a far better deal. I then re-contoured the seat, ever so slightly, and now along with the rd350 handle bar, the ride feels much better. Although I cant vouch that this will remedy the sore-butt situation, it could be worth a try.

Can post pics and specs if anyone is interested

Felix
bludhemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 18:45   #606
BHPian

Nasir,
The front fairing and the box will definitely go well together. Much like the Harley Electra Glide.
Did you say you are married........?? I think you are too young to get married......!!
Though I wish I was as lucky as you are. My pillion seat remains empty, so I got rid of it completely.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:27   #607
BHPian

Quote:
The front fairing and the box will definitely go well together. Much like the Harley Electra Glide.
Did you say you are married........?? I think you are too young to get married......!!
Though I wish I was as lucky as you are. My pillion seat remains empty, so I got rid of it completely.
MARRIED??? I even got a 3 month young daughter now. planning on a small seat for her on the bike. well, may be with seat belts?? Full C5 family with diapers and nappies in the pannier.

Hey, Aren't we all married to our C5s as well?

The Police fairing is what i am looking forward to next. hope colour & fitment etc is not a big issue.
Old 6th September 2010, 21:52   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludhemn View Post

Felix
Pics eagerly awaited.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 14:33   #609
BHPian

Quote:

Felix
yes please, very much interested.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 16:55   #610
BHPian

Default HID Lamps

I was going through some posts on the forum and saw some inaccuracies regarding HID lamps.

1. They are the most efficient auto headlamp bulbs available , exceeding LED lamps too.
2. The temperature index ( 4300 K , 5600 K etc) does not indicate temperature or heat output but a color index rated by temperature ( any object heated to a given temperature will radiate in a color that is consistent across all materials for that temperature) it starts with red at the lower end and moves towards blue in the familiar VIBGYOR color series. So a bulb rated 4300 K gives out yellowish light and one rated 5300 K will be more bluish. The color index you choose does not affect efficiency for the same bulb type ; only the color of the light. Research has proved that light approximating sunlight in color is the most comfortable for humans to use.( our eyes evolved under a yellow sun ).

Further information from
Gas-discharge lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards
Hex
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 17:14   #611
BHPian

Default RE C5 attachments

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
PICS:

Managed to install the luggage box on to the C5. It was NOT a direct fit. I had to make some modification to the base frame.

Attached are some pics. (sorry for bad quality, as they are from a basic phone)

Also, attached are some pics of the Michelin M45 tyre, for reference.
Nice luggage box very usefull,Bullets dont have any storage space,u have to carry a backpack always,side boxes dont look good.

I drive a Honda Eterno with lot of storage space and like it
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 22:59   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Managed to install the luggage box on to the C5. It was NOT a direct fit. I had to make some modification to the base frame.
@Nasir, what did the box cost you and from where did you obtain it?

Can we mount it at an tilted angle to the mudguard so that it is below the seat's height?
KA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 00:00   #613
BHPian

Okies, here's a quick draw of the spring. I reckon the picture is pretty much self explanatory.

After a bit of research on trying to improve the spring, this is what I finally ended up with. The initial plan was to somehow reduce the stiffness of the stock spring. From a few different sources, it was suggested to heat the spring, but this didn't seem feasible for two reasons. Firstly, heating causes change in the elasticity of the material ( probably carbon steel). The amount of change depends on the temperature and duration of application. At your local gas welder, perhaps the temperature may be more or less constant, but the actual time they do the process on each spring can vary. This can lead to unequal elasticity on either spring. The difference may not be noticeable straight away, but eventually...yes. Imagine how this will affect your spine with one half of the seat oscillating more than the other! The second factor, though less important, was that heating would wipe away all the electroplating. Hence decided to leave the stock alone and fiddle with cheaper options.

The 1st set was made with a similar material and had the same diameter. The number of turns of the coil was increased to 2 over a difference of roughly 1cm. This bumped up the elasticity quite a bit. Although 2cms longer, it came up to the same height as stock, because of better compression when loaded.

Since there was always a factor of trial and error involved, I had another set made with a material of lesser dia (5.6mm) and shorter length (8.5cm). It turned out to be too soft, and the base of the seat was constantly hammering the pillion seat frame. Astoundingly brilliant flop.

So that's how the story goes. Guys, there are two ways to increase the elasticity here. As mentioned before, one is to increase the number of turns and the other is to decrease the dia of the spring material. Now, it may take a few samples to find something that's right for your body weight, but my suggestion would be to keep the same thickness and up the turns by 2 or 3. There is a good chance that choosing a material with a lower dia will result in an overly soft spring. You'd be bobbing up and down like a buoy in a mad sea! And it may deform over time, causing unequal weight distribution of your body. Very bad for your lower back.

Oh, and it cost me around 300rs to get a pair of springs done.

I'll post some pics on how it fits on the bike tomorrow or so. Here's a comparison for now

Any doubts...please ask!
bludhemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 10:40   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Okies, here's a quick draw of the spring. I reckon the picture is pretty much self explanatory.

Any doubts...please ask!
I am actually thinking of lowering the seat, for the reasons of lower riding position (protects from wind blast, more comfortable overall geomerty with the handle bar etc). Do you think it would be wise to raise the height.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:55   #615
BHPian

Quote:
@Nasir, what did the box cost you and from where did you obtain it?

Can we mount it at an tilted angle to the mudguard so that it is below the seat's height?
The box cost was Rs. 2350
The frame costed: 250

You can find the same at JC road, Bangalore.

The frame may not directly fit the bike, and u will have to make some basic mods. It is also possible to get raise/ lower/ tilt the box by making some modifications to the base frame of the box. (welding another piece of metal with mounting holes, to achieve the desired position).

Quote:
@ Bludhemn: Hey, great experiemnts with the seat springs. Even i was thinking of fiddling with the spring, but did not know where to get it done in Bangalore. Will hunt more.

However, what i had in mind was to reduce the height of the spring, from 8.5 cms to lets say 6.5 cms. With that, made some basic mods on the foam of the seat, and was hoping it would work better than stock.

Did you consider lowering the height of the springs and its effects?
The stock seat is almost horizontal to the ground and flat, without any contours for the butt to butt-in and find a sweet spot. Most of the cruiser seat are lower at the rear side, and higher on the front. So in my opining, reducing the height of the springs, and some mods on the contour would do wonders. Whats your thought on the same?