Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th October 2010, 14:54   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Anastassia.... First you want to ditch her and go to Canada... Now you going to burn her alive... ! No Please.....
RE is not leaving me with any options here. What should I do with a bike I can not ride any more as I get too embarrassed at traffic lights when people stare at me due to the engine noise and giggle knowing I spent 1.3L for this piece of machinery and I spend sleepless nights. A company pledges to a new customer with a trouble free ride but backtracks on it and shows its incompetency to even diagnose the problem and leaves you bone dry to sort it out yourself and live with it. A guy like me who has no engineering background and bought a bike first time in his life can diagnose a problem but at the same time RE engineers who have plenty of experience and trained on the engines can not. Where do I go then.

RE is suppressing my passion for riding and faith I had in their company due to their history. I need some way to vent my anger, frustration and harassment they have caused me. I want to forget it as a bad experience and never ever think of buying a RE product in my life, thanks to their arrogant attitude. I hope some commonsense prevails and they work things out for me but that needs to be seen.

@Bradhey- Dont worry I did not meant that your compression has gone down instead increased due to carbon deposit.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 15:26   #707
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
What should I do with a bike I can not ride any more as I get too embarrassed at traffic lights when people stare at me due to the engine noise and giggle knowing I spent 1.3L for this piece of machinery and I spend sleepless nights.

I need some way to vent my anger, frustration and harassment they have caused me. I want to forget it as a bad experience and never ever think of buying a RE product in my life, thanks to their arrogant attitude. I hope some commonsense prevails and they work things out for me but that needs to be seen.
Bai ji I have been reading this thread from the start & developed a passion for C5, was even considering buying one & had launched a thread also, which was sadly deleted by mods. With this kind of attitude, Enfield will loose many a customer, me being one. I've slashed out C5/350 from my list now.
Please try to stay calm & in control, there are better options like sending Enfield a legal notice or approaching the Consumer Court. Im really sadened with this type of treatment to hardcore fans.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 17:35   #708
Senior - BHPian

@Sanjeet veerji

I agree with you on being left disillusioned by the whole thing, but would recommend against setting it afire. Why don't you just sell it and move on with the 4 wheeler plan as discussed?

Make it abundantly clear to RE that you intend to go public with all the murky details. Demand a full refund or a new bike altogether.

Cheers!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 00:36   #709
Senior - BHPian

@AWD- Ki kariya Janab phuss gaya RE de chakar wich. I dont have the patience to deal with them legally but if they do P*** me off a little bit more then I would love to take that route. But seems like I wont be buying any RE product later in life.

@Achint- That plan is still on and the urge is growing stronger to get 4 wheel thing out of my system too

Even if they give me a new engine would be a miracle let alone them giving me any refund or a complete new bike. Spoke to the RSM Mr Jadvinder Singh and again the same talk and they are not giving me a single reply to why I can not/should not get a new engine. Still offering me a re-built. I have informed them of going public with the facts but they are adamant on their decision.

Will let you know the outcome in a week. Wont let it linger for long.

Went to workshop to check for the parts I had ordered previously and I was surprised with the new delivered C5 with the new version.

Couldn't resist the temptation to probe further so here are the details of new improved version of C5.

Rear tyre size MRF Zapper C- 120/80/18 Looks real fat and I loved the looks of it
Name:  Tyre size.jpg
Views: 7269
Size:  102.2 KB Name:  rear tyre2.jpg
Views: 3743
Size:  113.0 KB
Name:  Tread.jpg
Views: 7619
Size:  98.0 KB

Front tyre size MRF Zapper 90/90/19 Looks slimmer but not big enough compared to other UCE 19s front. 18 to 19 upgrade is hardly noticeable and you can easily pass it as 18. But I would never go for a 19 and loose the agility of a cougar in town riding.
Name:  front size.jpg
Views: 2963
Size:  95.2 KB Name:  front tread.jpg
Views: 3018
Size:  130.4 KB

Chain guard- Looks a class apart and I loved the way it looked, not cheap or tacky. Its half length chain guard which covers only half of the chain length and ends near the filter box. Although fit and finish is excellent but I did not like RE going for plastic chain guard and dont hope to see any more plastic bits on C5 or Bullet will loose its charm to a every day plastic kitted bike. Whole chain guard flexes like a banana peal and gives you a feeling of a very poor quality plastic. It should have been of a harder material.

Name:  Chain cover.jpg
Views: 3603
Size:  91.0 KB Name:  Chain cover 2.jpg
Views: 3072
Size:  116.7 KB

Filter box cover Very well designed but I was disappointed again with the thickness of the cover. Feels like a disposable food container and feels very delicate. Again, it should have been injected moulded with a thicker and harder material. It fits on to the existing air filter nut and has a rubber seal at the base of it but the base was flexing so it wont be able to make a tight seal.

Any body good with fiberglass can make a descent lookalike which will last far longer then the new one and seal better.

Name:  filter cover 2.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  96.6 KB
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 11:43   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post

Couldn't resist the temptation to probe further so here are the details of new improved version of C5.
Since when are these new improved versions of C5 in circulation?

I got my C5 about 2 weeks ago - would models sold recently already have these additions? Not sure if mine is the new one or not - will check when I reach home I guess.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 12:09   #711
BHPian

@ Randhawa, can the Chain-guard and air-filter cover be retro-fitted on our existing UCE bikes?
KA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 13:18   #712
BHPian

@ Randhawa:

Damn sad to hear your case. In-fact most of us are sailing in the same boat. Even i am not too convinced about an RE product, and dont think will go for one in the future. A recent incident is strengthened my belief.

I do remember you mentioning on more than one occasions about "Faith in the C5s electricals." how i wish you were right. No sure if you will hold the same opinion after reading below. I seriously do hope its a one-off incident and does not repeat on other bikes.

Here is how the story goes:

on Sunday (10.10.10), i went for a general ride with a group, about 100 kms one way, from Bangalore.
while returning, a tata safari hit me from behind. I was stationary on the road waiting, when this guy in a safari hit the bike from behind. The impact was a medium one, not too hard, not too gentle. At the impact, the bike moved forward, and fell on the right side. i jumped off the bike to save myself.

The safari guy said something sounding like sorry, and pushed off. May he suffer in his safari.

Fellow riders lifted and put the bike back on the centre stand. No real physical damage. scratches on the rear view, foot-peg, slightly bent, and my rear pizza box took all the impact. the box is still intact but suffered some scratches.

the problem start NOW.

after putting the bike on centre stand (after the fall), there was not electrical signal when i tried starting. left the bike for 5 minutes, and still no electrical signal. checked the fuse, and one was blown (why??). replaced the fuse with another and tried starting the bike.. still no electrical signal anywhere. rechecked the fuse and found the one i replaced to be blown again. Again replaced with a spare, and waited for 15 mins. tried starting, and after some kicks/electric start attempts, suddenly the power came back and the bike started.

I thought all is well. BUT after about 5-6 kms while riding, the engine suddenly stopped. i was still 40 kms from Bangalore, on a highway. I checked and saw that the fuse had blown again. got the last remaining spare fuse, and while inserting it in the socket itself, there was a tiny spark and that fuse also blew. (while doing this, all the electricals were switched off, and the key was NOT in the ignition switch.)
At this time a fellow rider smelled some burning rubber. On sniffing hard, the source was located towards the headlamp assembly. opened the head lamp and was SHOCKED to see all the wire full burnt and melted, the copper of the wires fused together. There was no further scope, the sunlight was fading and Bangalore was 40 kms away. never felt so helpless with a bike. Had to lift the bike in a vehicle and get it to Bangalore. Have left the bike at service centre for repair. They said it looked like a case of some loose connection leading to sorting and electricals burning. One small topple and this is what happens. Shame RE!

I am very dissapointed, to the extent the i am considering selling the bike.
Had plans to ride to Goa on the 6th nov, but after this incident, i am not too sure now. C5 with all its latest technology is such that if there are electrical problem on the highway, nothing much can be done except to lift the bike. Not at all desired for a so called tourer.
Attached Images

nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 13:34   #713
BHPian

@nasir, You rode with Royal Knights right? I heard the news sunday night and saw the picture. I could immediately identify your bike with the rear carrier..

Sorry to hear the sad news. I totally agree about the electricals in RE. These are minor issues that need to be taken care by RE. I thought these would've been taken care in the newer models, but your experience proves otherwise.

Take care and ride safe.
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 13:42   #714
BHPian

@Nasirkaka

Man, that would have been painful. Sorry to hear about this. After reading Randhawa's case and then this i feel RE has degraded the quality of their product over the years. I have a 2003 RE Thunderbird and i am quite happy with it (except for the tappets noise).

Hope the short circuit didn't blew anything else that you are not aware off (touchwood).

Ride Safe
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 19:24   #715
BHPian

Yes, was riding with royal knights to bheemeshwari, and the incident happened after kanakpura while returning.

very disappointing and painful.
Old 12th October 2010, 20:01   #716
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about it Nasirkaka. Our confidence in RE dwindles.

Hope you are okay and Bull pulls through soon.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 20:54   #717
BHPian

@Nasirkaka

Sorry to hear about the incident but relieved to hear you escaped physically unhurt - though the mental trauma must be more hurting.

Any idea what caused such a complete burnout inside the head? In case of Bullets, being completely made of metal, short circuits can happen easily but a complete burnout means lack or improper protective circuitry.

regards
san
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 12:17   #718
BHPian

FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS:

Just got a call from the service manager. The bike is still at the service center. today is the third day, and they asked me to call in the afternoon and hopefully the bike would be ready.

THE CAUSE: the service manager just called and said the reason for the electrical sorting was " the ORIGINAL tail lamp wiring harness" was tampered with, and fitted differently, most probably, while changing the rear tyre. He also said that as i have changed the rear tyre to pirelli, the pirelli seems to be bigger, and was touching the harness on humps."

Now, i can say for sure, that the tail-lamp wiring harness was NOT touched at all, since the delivery of the bike. the rear tyre was changed to piralli in front of my eyes, and no wires were touched. Before that, i had a rear tire puncture once, but the repair was done infront of my eyes, with no wires being fiddled with. I am NOT sure if pirelli is that BIG compared to the MRF to interfare with the wiring harness.

Anyhow, the service manager said that the wiring harness was replaced, the entire ignition switch with keys etc have been replaced, and some more parts have been replaced. Will have to go there this afternoon and see it for me self.

In nutshell, They are blaming me for making wiring harness modifications to the bike which lead to this failure, so eventually i will have to PAY for the parts replaced. I know i did not touch the tail-lamp wiring at any given point, ( to the best of my knowledge) and thats really Cheap of RE to say so.
Old 14th October 2010, 00:12   #719
Senior - BHPian

@Axe77- Only two days ago the new ones came in Chandigarh and not all of them had the filter cover but the rest of the upgrades were on all of them. I don't think you would have got the new version two weeks ago.

@KA18- Yes booth the upgrades are straight fit.

@Nasir- Oh dear, first the safari owner from hell and then the wiring issue. I can feel your frustration. No one would like to be in our place after spending over a Lakh rupees on a dream which is becoming a nightmare.

I personally keep a close eye on the electrics and once a month a remove the headlight and check/clean the connectors. While keeping up with the maintenance I also lubricate the switches inside and that helps it to keep going well. So far I had an issue with the ignition switch because of the water and few of us also had the same issue which can be easily rectified apart from that I only had a fused pilot bulb in 16K. I have been lucky with the electrical department but unlucky with the mechanical side just because there are only couple of small issues with the engine which can be rectified by only changing their parts vendor and the engine is otherwise bulletproof.

Wiring itself on C5 is good enough but only couple of connectors need up- gradation on the wiring. If you look at the wiring then you will observe that most of the connectors are of good quality but the ones which certainly needs to be of good quality are of stone age era. They are of poor fit and low quality plastic and flimsy thimbles without any protection from weather.

RE saying about you messing up with the rear wiring is totally crap and I would challenge them on this statement. While looking at the picture of your bike on the trailer, you can clearly see the wiring nicely attached on to the mudguard and no way it was hanging around for your tyre to even touch it considering that the tyre you put on was smaller in size(9mm thiner if I remember correctly) and no way bigger then stock 110/90/18. Today I went to check the rear wiring on the new C5 and its routed exactly the same way and secured as on any older C5. So if RE has provided new and bigger tyre on C5 without changing the existing routing of rear wiring then certainly bigger tyre size is not an issue. Considering that your tyre is not bigger but thinner, their statement does not makes any sense and surely they don't want to admit it knowingly that you will go public about it. Just take the case of burning Nano's.

Ask them to show your rear wiring on your bike and you can confirm if it was rubbed against the mudguard. That should clear out things for RE and you.

Wiring for our C5 isn't cheap, its 4K for a set so you will be given a hefty bill of more then 5k for the trouble.

In reality what I think could have caused the problem by going through the same problem on different RE models is that the rear wiring had always had an issue. Although it seems like its properly secured to the mudguard but at times it can come loose from the tabs provided on the mudguard to secure it. In that case it will hang loose and tyre will push it upwards or just grind the wire continuously until the wires are naked and ready to short circuit. Where the wire exists from the mudguard at that place its not secure and it hangs and you have to pull it a bit out for the tyre not to grind it.

Inspect the rear wire and let us know what you find. Just take this as a bad luck and not as bad experience otherwise you will not be able to keep her for long.

Last edited by Randhawa : 14th October 2010 at 00:13.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 18:36   #720

Randhawa and others.. thanks for your valuable time, suggestions and advice in this thread. i have been a silent reader here, ever since i booked a black C500 in April 2010.

I have been told that i can expect to take delivery of the bike anytime this month. But, .....considering your experience and Nasirkaka's with C5, i am forced to think if i should wait for a couple of more months to take delivery or forget C5 for now?

Please let me know your advice on this. once again thanks a lot for your time.
lalgudi is offline   Reply With Quote