Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th October 2010, 13:47   #796
BHPian

Yesterday booked a CL 500. Hope by the time I take delivery { Or maybe my son } the '52' upgrades are done. This thread is really disappointing,the discussion going on is very enlightening about the various aspects of the CL 500, no doubt about it, but, it feels like reading a 'CL 500 greivance' thread.
Dr.Jones
drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 19:27   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Yesterday booked a CL 500. Hope by the time I take delivery { Or maybe my son } the '52' upgrades are done.
Where was it booked and when is the expected delivery
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 19:59   #798
BHPian

At Southern motors, Chennai. EDD is min 8 months.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:05   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Yesterday booked a CL 500. Hope by the time I take delivery { Or maybe my son } the '52' upgrades are done. This thread is really disappointing,the discussion going on is very enlightening about the various aspects of the CL 500, no doubt about it, but, it feels like reading a 'CL 500 greivance' thread.
Dr.Jones
Can you let me know what are these "52" upgrades?
Abeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 21:22   #800
BHPian

Oops! its 57 and not 52.
Dr.Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
I am not a Randhawa or nasirkaka but from my limited experience with Bullets, I want to tell you this:
  • All Bullets have issues from time immemorial - The C.I engines are notorious - leaky, creaky, rusty, unreliable, battery trouble, starting trouble etc etc..
  • Still Die hard Motorcyclists buy them and enjoy them knowing and living with all those troubles. A Bullet is the preferred motorcycle for long rides and Adventure trips and even Foreign tourists visiting India buy only Bullets !
  • The new Classics with UCE engines have improved greatly from the C.I era - reliable, no oil leaks, improved F.E, better electricals, easy to start - but they still have many issues.
  • People like Randhawa and nasirkaka are Extremists. They minutely examine and cross examine each and every single tick and tock under a microscope/ stethoscope trying to find reasons and improvements. They do many experiments and modifications - K&N filters, Goldie silencers, HID lamps, Pirelli tyres, full synthetic oil etc.
  • I feel we are fortunate have these fellows with us - We can learn from their mistakes and adopt their success - I am planning to go full synthetic after 3000km and reroute or add protection to tail lamp wiring.
  • R.E itself is improving their production and design slowly - For C5 they have introduced improved centre stand, better air filter (hinges and filter cover), chain cover, 19" tyres in front and wider tyres at rear and from a blog of RE CEO, I hear some 57 improvements including better paint quality are on the way.
My friend, In my opinion, the desire for owning a Bullet should come from your heart. Do not go by what others are talking. Bullets always had problems and it will always have problems and one day if all these problems cease to exist, then it will be no different than an Indo-japansese bike.

Lastly - My suggestion is - wait for 3 or 6 months if you can so the rest of the 57 improvements are also implemented.

regards (I hope I havent confused you more )
san
Old 30th October 2010, 14:33   #801
Senior - BHPian

@Hemant- I would suggest WD40 but you can use kerosene although its more sticky and attracts more dirt. Just blow pressurised air properly.

@endofdays- Your problem again seems to be a loose connection, it could be the ignition switch, ignition switch connector or a loose connection at the +ve terminal on batery. There is nothing more to that.

@Abeer- The new upgrade seems to be restricted to only tyre size upgrade. As the new air filter cover came with only limited no's of C5 and it will take a month or so to get implemented to all production bikes . Saying that I saw few new bikes which are again shipped with older specifications. Earlier when I saw the new upgrades, at that time RE had updated the same on their website and now have reverted back to the old specification of C5.

So I am not sure if the tyre size upgrade was permanent upgrade.

The upgrade at present stands with
Front tyre size from 90/90/18 to 90/90/18
Rear tyre from 110/90/18 to 120/80/18

New chain guard to accommodate the bigger tyre

Air filter cover which is not fully implemented in production.

I have also heard rumours of C5 and C3 getting 19 all around due to MRF bailing out on 18 size tyre production for RE.

New upgraded Sprag is all ready implemented along with a single piece oil cap and modification to crank breather system inside the RH side cover.

Still on cards is a new supplier "Fiem" of batteries to RE along with Exide.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 21:21   #802
BHPian

So will Classic 500 start behaving atleast like CI Bullet after this upgrade??? I ended up booking one in September while I had gone to Dhone Automobiles to service my brother's bike!!! But now after reading all the horror stories I am having second thoughts!!!

Guys, any clue about when RE is launching a 500 cc thunderbird or machismo 500!!!
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 00:48   #803
BHPian

I heard that RE is launching a 650cc bike in India.
Does anyone heard about it?
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 03:09   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I have also heard rumours of C5 and C3 getting 19 all around due to MRF bailing out on 18 size tyre production for RE.
Whoa - What happens to existing C5 owners when they want to change their tyres (I for one would not want 19" but stick with 18" tyres)
Axe77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 23:23   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Whoa - What happens to existing C5 owners when they want to change their tyres (I for one would not want 19" but stick with 18" tyres)
I just hope its just a rumour and stays that way. Finding the rear at this moment is a pain. The rear tyre is made only for RE and you can not get it from a regular MRF dealer. It has to be ordered through RE and then take the delivery from a MRF dealer.

An update on my new battery and increasing cost of ownership

Finally got my battery replaced with a new Exide 14amp Biker battery. Cost was Rs 2000 with exchange. Took me whole day to source the battery as not many Exide dealers keep it due to low demand.

Is it the same battery compared to OEM supplied Exide battery?

From inside its the same and the size is a match but the top part is a bit different.

It has individual filler caps.
The top is of red colour.
Its not a maintenance free battery(sealed) due to the overflow pipe attached. On the OEM battery there is just a breather hole instead of a overflow pipe.
The electrodes fitting holes are different. On OEM the bolt goes on the electrode sideways but on this one it goes from the top.
The +ve wire is a bit fiddly to get on due to the changed positioned as there is limited space behind the +ve terminal and the thick wire of the starter motor rubs against the TPS sensor on the throttle body.
The -Ve terminal had no problem, the -ve wire fits just like it should.

The drain pipe needs to be routed near the mudflap and thats all.

On our OEM battery we don't have the individual filler caps, instead we have a strip which covers all the filling holes which I quite like due to the neat look it gives plus easy to access rather then taking out individual filler caps.

So I swapped the filler caps with my older battery filler hole strip cover. Tucked the drain pipe under the rubber straps and routed the drain pipe near the mudflap.

Now a bit info on the OEM battery.

If you are too finicky about OEM things and can wait with extra cash to spare then read this carefully.

Cost of OEM Exide battery is Rs 3100 as compared to the same specs Exide non OEM battery Rs 2000.
Warranty is only 6 months on a brand new OEM replacement battery. It's not readily available and needs to be charged by Exide folks once you get it. Does not come pre-charged.

Why only 6 months warranty when you are paying extra RS 1100?
Reason is that when battery is manufactured, its then sent to RE from there it goes to the RE parts stockist and then to a dealer when needed. In whole of this process the battery spends few months travelling and looses its shelf life. So warranty is limited.

Air filter box lock broken

While riding today, I heard loud sound of air intake. At first I thought it must be some racer boy passing by but then realised no one around and touched the filter box to get the feel of the air filter.

Stopped to inspect and to my utter shock found the box lock broken. Somehow managed to slam the cover shut and rode home slowly.

Just to get to the workshop, I'll tape it around and see if they have the new lock/key set. Which I highly doubt it as normally they have only the electra lock set with the tank lid as well which is around Rs 500. I feel the lock/key set for the C5 will be around Rs800. With my ignition key coming loose in the on position, I am better off changing the whole lock set but I'll have to wait again for the parts to come.

It's just under a year with 17km on odo and things are falling apart. I am really getting sick of it.

Rear tyre replaced over a month ago for 2.5K and front tyre to be replaced soon.

Within 10 days I had battery replaced for 2k, sprocket/chain set replaced for 2K, T cone set replaced for Rs500 and now the lock set which will cost me just under 1K. Tool box has badly rusted inside and getting painted a the moment.

I hope it wont fall apart soon.

Last edited by Randhawa : 31st October 2010 at 23:28.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 23:41   #806
BHPian

One fact that must be taken into cognizance is the fact that the Enfield engines are detuned in the interests of longevity and that the engine can be run at full output for far longer without major problems as compared to the high RPM modern DOHC in the mojo and the pulsar and suchlike. I know of many enfield engines that have been used solely for long distance touring and had to be overhauled only at 100,000 KM. Thats the reason why these engines can be radically tuned to put out 50 % more power. In all honesty , for our roads , the Classic 500 provides more than enough power , acceleration and performance. Any more and the suspension, brakes and most of all , the tyres wouldnt be able to cope. Try comparing the specific output of the HD engines to the liter class supersport engines.
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 00:58   #807
BHPian

Hi,
I see a lot of posts with unsubstantiated rumors. The one about how MRF is bailing on RE and that 18" tires will be replaced by 19" made me laugh.
Reality check : 18" is a rim size found on many Indian bikes including the CBZ, The pulsar, and is OE on the unicorn. Go to a decent tyre dealer and you can pick up anything from a 90/90 18 " slick to a knobbly 130/70 x 18 motocross tire. Michelin has the m45 and the sirac tires on sale as does pirelli , the scorpion.

Those who have problems with the ignition key switch , that is more a vendor issue than a RE fault. Minda makes that part ( which they also do for numerous bikes cited in the posts including the electra and the older CI bikes ). A simple fix is to use a high quality automotive relay ( of the correct rating) to switch the main DC supply, activated by the key-switch. A mosfet would be even better. A cheap fix is to buy a separate key switch for a hundred bucks or so and fit it to the bike. ( check the connections first and complain about carrying two keys ). Sure a new bike should not have these issues and RE is at fault for not clearing up the problems quickly but when one's safety is at stake , one better do something ASAP.

I read a post about how the bike has a poor electrical system. Happens that a bike took a fall, blew fuses ( that the rider replaced ) started , ran and then proceeded to a meltdown of the harness. Fuses are meant to protect the wiring from melting down. Blow one fuse and you should not replace it without checking for shorts. Specially if the bike has fallen.

I have run my classic for 10000 Km, Been to Leh and back on the C5 and done numerous long road trips in appalling weather and conditions. Never had major issues. Sure I've spent some money on the bike , had my rear shock absorbers chaged under warranty and ditto for a chain set. None of that changes my opinion about the bike which i think is a very decent machine.

In my close circle of friends and family, i have or have ridden extensively a standard 350 ( self owned , Brother in law has one ), A lightning 535 ( My brother ), a thunderbird AVL ( My friend's ) , a machismo 350A ( Dad rides one ), an Electra 5s ( Close friend ), 2 classic 500s( me and a friend hve one each ) and a classic 350 ( again a friend ). I would put the classic 500 above all those bikes but one , the L 535 ( which was a major lemon for RE and many of it's unlucky owners ). Many prospective customers and current owners need to understand that this bike is a compromise, They tried to duplicate a 1950's model with some modern tech thrown in to satisfy the regulations. A DOHC is efficient but the 1950 RE G2 was a pushrod design. It revs to only 5000 + RPM but that 1952 engine was not designed to go faster and the UCE 500 follows that limit.

I could break into a long lecture on the fact that this engine is a long stroke single and that maximum piston speeds ( limited by metallurgy ) would be exceeded if we tried to push the rpm to 9000 ( which a short stroke can do ) and so on but i guess those arguments would neither be understood or appreciated by everyone.
One has to buy a machine with a lot of thought given to our own expectations and many C5 customers seem to have ignored that tenet while putting down their hard earned money.

Regards
Naren
Old 1st November 2010, 01:06   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexanerax View Post
One fact that must be taken into cognizance is the fact that the Enfield engines are detuned in the interests of longevity and that the engine can be run at full output for far longer without major problems as compared to the high RPM modern DOHC in the mojo and the pulsar and suchlike. I know of many enfield engines that have been used solely for long distance touring and had to be overhauled only at 100,000 KM. Thats the reason why these engines can be radically tuned to put out 50 % more power. In all honesty , for our roads , the Classic 500 provides more than enough power , acceleration and performance. Any more and the suspension, brakes and most of all , the tyres wouldnt be able to cope. Try comparing the specific output of the HD engines to the liter class supersport engines.
With all due respect, I feel that failing engine components/auxiliary items cannot accompany longevity.
Worn out sprag gears, rusted frames, leaking seals, shot rings are only too common for REs.

It depends on what you call a overhaul. Perhaps, they won't need a rebore, but with half the mechanicals being changed 10 times in the span of 100,000 kms reliability is an adjective that does not come to mind.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 01:26   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
With all due respect, I feel that failing engine components/auxiliary items cannot accompany longevity.
Worn out sprag gears, rusted frames, leaking seals, shot rings are only too common for REs.

It depends on what you call a overhaul. Perhaps, they won't need a rebore, but with half the mechanicals being changed 10 times in the span of 100,000 kms reliability is an adjective that does not come to mind.
I agree. My comment was more on the design intent of the original engineers ( brits ) I doubt if any of the new classic models have seen the other sie of 25000 Km let alone a 100 Ks. The epitome of modern motorcycle engine design , the Moto Gp engines , self destruct in about 3000 Km. Very high specific output and RPM comes with its own penalty in engine life and cost. RE and its suppliers doing a shoddy job of manufacturing the bike should not be a reflection on the engineering design intent of this model which is what my comment implied.
Old 1st November 2010, 01:57   #810
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree with you. It is a wonderful concept. I wish something changes for it to carry on.
The idea of riding down winding country roads with a big single thumping under one, is perhaps the ultimate fantasy!
Maybe RE should focus more on manufacturing bikes rather than ads.
I look forward to the day when Triumph launches a Bonneville style single! (Now I am really dreaming!!!)
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote