Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 12:09   #841
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
If you do not have a basic idea of what you are doing or a minimum knowledge of various mechanical parts in the bike and their functions, then do not attempt to repair or modify it.
================
Sanjeet, I hope you agree with me on above.

regards
san
Yup...none of the parts have been touched by me till now.I have learnt quite a bit from RE mechanics but have to cover a long way before i can fully understand my bull.Thanks for the advice.
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 17:18   #842
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post
Originally Posted by Randhawa
When I got my first service done, the mechanics tightened up the chain but did not aligned the rear axle adjusting spline. on one side it was 12 notches and other side it was 13. So my bike was pulling on one side and giving me scary moments above 100. I got that sorted and handling improved drastically. Then I tried reducing the rear tyre pressure to 27Psi as normally I ride solo with single seat. That removed the twitchiness to 90%. Rest 10% needs to be worked upon by RE on the swing-arm.
@all...is this the rear axle adjusting spline that Randhawa was talking about?
Also in the 1st pic there is a through hole(marked with an arrow and qs mark).Can anybody please confirm whether there are any screws or any attachment or should it remain empty the way it is?
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-spline1.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-spline2.jpg  

cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 20:35   #843
BHPian
 
virtualhemant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 79
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post
@all...is this the rear axle adjusting spline that Randhawa was talking about?
Also in the 1st pic there is a through hole(marked with an arrow and qs mark).Can anybody please confirm whether there are any screws or any attachment or should it remain empty the way it is?
Don't worry about that hole. The old type chain guard (early classics) needs that hole. New one fits on only two stays. So that hole is going to be there.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 21:05   #844
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualhemant View Post
Don't worry about that hole. The old type chain guard (early classics) needs that hole. New one fits on only two stays. So that hole is going to be there.
@virtualhemant thanks...can u comment on real axle adjustable spline too...
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 22:40   #845
Senior - BHPian
 
Randhawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

@Stnair- I agree with you.

@Cooded-The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-spline1.jpg



How the new Sprag looks compared to old one.

Old one
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-old.jpg



New one
Name:  01112010196.jpg
Views: 3101
Size:  70.8 KB Name:  01112010197.jpg
Views: 3036
Size:  70.7 KB
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 10:32   #846
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

[quote=Randhawa;2132192]@Stnair- I agree with you.
@Randhawa and everyone...Thanks man...i will get that spline fixed right away.One more thing i wanted to ask you is do you want me to record the sound of the engine while i am riding or is it ok if i send you a sound clip when the bike is stationary.??
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 11:16   #847
BHPian
 
hexanerax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dehradun / Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Hi,
For those really interested in getting their hands on the bike and understanding the mechanicals comprehensively , i would recommend the acquisition of the UCE manual by Pete Snidal. It is regarded as the bible of RE maintenance. Even if you don't work on the bike yourself , this manual will help you judge your mechanics competency and work better.

Pete Snidal's Motorcycle Manuals - NEW!

Regards
Naren

@ Randhawa , The pictures of the sprag in your post indicate that yours was replaced. When the sprag failed , was there scoring of the inner and outer shafts?
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 17:42   #848
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

[quote=cooded;2132467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Stnair- I agree with you.
@Randhawa and everyone...Thanks man...i will get that spline fixed right away.One more thing i wanted to ask you is do you want me to record the sound of the engine while i am riding or is it ok if i send you a sound clip when the bike is stationary.??
@Randhawa: I went to the dealer today to get the spline adjusted.On the right side of the wheel the spline is adjusted to 7 notches as in the pics and on the left its adjusted to 9.When i pointed it out to them they were of the opinion that this cant be the reason for the bike to pull on the right side.They just refused to do it and frankly they rubbished the reason.I will get it done from another mechanic but do you think that is the reason for the bike to pull on one side.Sorry for all the silly posts but i am a complete newbie with a desire to understand my baby better.
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 18:18   #849
BHPian
 
virtualhemant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 79
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

[quote=cooded;2133124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post

@Randhawa: I went to the dealer today to get the spline adjusted.On the right side of the wheel the spline is adjusted to 7 notches as in the pics and on the left its adjusted to 9.When i pointed it out to them they were of the opinion that this cant be the reason for the bike to pull on the right side.They just refused to do it and frankly they rubbished the reason.I will get it done from another mechanic but do you think that is the reason for the bike to pull on one side.Sorry for all the silly posts but i am a complete newbie with a desire to understand my baby better.
IDEALLY the notches on both the sides should be same for correct wheel alignment. BUT as it's a RE and I have seen several bulls where if you match the notches it will result in misaligned wheel. I would suggest to check the gap between the tyre and the Swing arm (In front). It should be same on both sides. To achive this you might have notches at different points (difference of 1 or 2 notches at most). My bull was also pulling on one side after keeping both the notches same. The tyre had more gap on one side. I adjusted the one side notch by one 1 and tyre was in perfect allignment. Resolved my issue. This can also cause instability at high speeds.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 20:03   #850
BHPian
 
stnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calicut
Posts: 230
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

[quote=cooded;2133124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post

@Randhawa: I went to the dealer today to get the spline adjusted.On the right side of the wheel the spline is adjusted to 7 notches as in the pics and on the left its adjusted to 9.When i pointed it out to them they were of the opinion that this cant be the reason for the bike to pull on the right side.They just refused to do it and frankly they rubbished the reason.I will get it done from another mechanic but do you think that is the reason for the bike to pull on one side.Sorry for all the silly posts but i am a complete newbie with a desire to understand my baby better.
Sorry for the intruding in your conversation with Randhawa, but please read Page 40 of your owners manual where it clearly says number of notches in the rear axle cam should be equal on both sides. Show that to the dealer who rubbished you and ask him to read it - if he can read and understand English - otherwise call your RE Service Manager. The Page is attached here.

regards
san
Attached Images
 
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:32   #851
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

[quote=stnair;2133278]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post

Sorry for the intruding in your conversation with Randhawa, but please read Page 40 of your owners manual where it clearly says number of notches in the rear axle cam should be equal on both sides. Show that to the dealer who rubbished you and ask him to read it - if he can read and understand English - otherwise call your RE Service Manager. The Page is attached here.

regards
san
@Randhawa : Thanks for explaining how the whole adjustment thing works.I now know what is to be done.Will get it done from someone else.

@stnair : Thanks for showing that page. This means that I should read the manual completely and carefully(maybe also use the "note pages" at the end of the manual). Well this also means that the dealer themselves havnt read the manual(i almost had a fight with the owner today).Are all the RE dealers same everywhere?(cant disclose the name of my dealer, pretty sure he must be following this thread too and acting on tips from you guys.)
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:58   #852
Senior - BHPian
 
Randhawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

@cooded-record an audio while at idle with some little sudden acceleration and riding up to 60km/h, do the recording close to the engine.

Regarding your spat with the RE workshop, please show the manual to the supervisor at the workshop as suggested by Stnair and give a call to your Regional Service Manager. Let him know how talented the mechanics are at the said workshop. Also find some other RE workshop who are more knowledgeable.

I am so glad that I have a RE workshop whose mechanics are quite competent for my needs.

@Hemant-You will have a alignment problem of the swing arm only when the bushes are not seated properly in the pivot points on the chassis. If you remove the swing arm or just loosen up the swing arm and re-tightened it then you should manage to get a straight alignment with equal notches on the spline.

@Naren- I have put pictures only for reference of new sprags, one older design and new design. I have been on lookout of the new sprag for ages and when I saw the new sprag in the workshop, I took pictures to let you guys know the difference so if anyone does have a need for a new sprag then they are able to differentiate between the two and go only for the new one. I did not had a issue with the sprag for last 15K. I had issues in the initial stages only.

With the whole sprag assembly, the sprag bearing is never in contact with the shaft directly only on the inner race of the sprag gear.

Diwali gift for my Bebe

Got the new chain guard and a RR unit cover plate meant only for export C5. Have to improvise to fit the number plate. Can anyone confirm if relocating the number plate on the front mudguard is illegal or legit.

My new rear tyre is up for sale, if anyone around Chandigarh wants it then let me know.
Name:  08112010198.jpg
Views: 9350
Size:  70.0 KB
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 09:30   #853
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 465
Thanked: 413 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa;2133408
[B
Diwali gift for my Bebe[/b]

Got the new chain guard and a RR unit cover plate meant only for export C5. Have to improvise to fit the number plate. Can anyone confirm if relocating the number plate on the front mudguard is illegal or legit.
Attachment 450867
Nice gifts. I have been thinking along the same lines, i.e. changing the front number plate. Others have commented (post #309 in the link below) that its illegal.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-india-21.html

I repeated the question at the showroom. was told to talk to the guys at the service centre, "they will help you with it" (?!). I guessed he had no clue about the legality.

This is one time i wish i was in the armed forces.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 16:10   #854
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 52
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@everyone: Has anybody tried to find the idle RPM of your engine by recording the sound of the engine and analyzing the sound clip using Fourier analysis?. You might be able to do this using the recorder in your mobile phones and a Fourier analysis software (plenty of free ones) on your computer/laptop.Maybe we could also analyze other sounds coming out of the engine too.
Other than the above DIY thing ...is there any other way to find the rpm of the engine at idling?
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 19:58   #855
BHPian
 
stnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calicut
Posts: 230
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post
@everyone: Has anybody tried to find the idle RPM of your engine by recording the sound of the engine and analyzing the sound clip using Fourier analysis?. You might be able to do this using the recorder in your mobile phones and a Fourier analysis software (plenty of free ones) on your computer/laptop.Maybe we could also analyze other sounds coming out of the engine too.
Other than the above DIY thing ...is there any other way to find the rpm of the engine at idling?
iPhone has such a software using fourier analysis - Just aim the phone at the engine and rpm will show in its screen. But alas iPhone out of my reach...

If you are successful in the DIY, then teach us also.

regards
san
Attached Images
 
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 - "The Chrome Decimator" xydon Motorbikes 17 9th February 2016 12:12
Enfield Bullet : Classic 350 versus Classic 500 zaks Motorbikes 173 1st June 2015 18:19
Royal Enfield Classic 350 / 500 - Now on Sale Puffdamgcdragon Motorbikes 1173 18th September 2012 17:31
Booked Royal Enfield Classic 500 but need help whether should wait for carb ketan4renault Motorbikes 12 29th June 2011 14:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks