Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th November 2010, 22:31   #856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
iPhone has such a software using fourier analysis - Just aim the phone at the engine and rpm will show in its screen. But alas iPhone out of my reach...

If you are successful in the DIY, then teach us also.

regards
san

Well i did try it but i pointed the phone to the silencer because it gave out a more distinct thump. I analyzed it but i dont think by calculating the number of thumps off the silencer will give you the RPM. After that i had to abort the experiment since i was doing it late at night and was hearing curses from my neighbors more than the thump of the engine.My damn phone does not have a data cable feature and even if i successfully do it i dunt know how to verify whether the result is right or wrong .If anyone has a clear sound clip of the sound of their engine at idle please do post it(with the knowledge of idling RPM as in the sound clip).I will analyze it and you guys can verify it.
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:42   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexanerax View Post
Hi,
For those really interested in getting their hands on the bike and understanding the mechanicals comprehensively , i would recommend the acquisition of the UCE manual by Pete Snidal. It is regarded as the bible of RE maintenance. Even if you don't work on the bike yourself , this manual will help you judge your mechanics competency and work better.

Pete Snidal's Motorcycle Manuals - NEW!
Naren, Have you read this manual? The link you provided contains some samples of the UCE manual (a patch file). I read the Running in part and it seems Pete Snidal got it confused. The heading says "The UCE Bullet Manual" but halfway through Engine and Gearbox is mentioned separate - (change engine oil at 2400km, gearbox 3000km) and also grease in gearbox

regards
san
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 17:39   #858
Senior - BHPian

Another upgrade for C5

The crank has been made heavier by 600gm to take care of the vibrations at higher speeds and make the engine a lot smoother.

So for anyone who has bought the C5 in last couple of months then probably you have got the heavier crank in your C5.

Yesterday took some measurements of the new C5 mudguard and stays.
Its of same width but longer by 2+ inches. Stays are 1/2 inch longer. So if anyone wants to upgrade the front to 19 then the cost involved is

Front mudguard Rs 1100
Stays around Rs 500
Front rim with hub, without disk for Rs 1000 but its from TBTS so the centre hub has to be buffed. New hub/rim direct from RE is more then 3k. The ones my dealer is selling is the new ones which he takes off for fitting alloys to the new bikes.
Front tyre for Rs 1600.

I installed the new chain guard on my C5 and fits like a glove. Still looking for idea on how to accommodate the number plate without covering the new RR export cover plate.

@codded- Why are you so fixated on the idea of analysing the engine noise with a computer software? With some experience you will get to know most of the noises associated with the engine so don't worry to much.

If you want to check the rpm then another way is to check it with a tachometer. My RE workshop has one so yours should have one too. Idle rpm on our C5 is 1000+-50 or anything between 950 to 1050 rpm.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 23:23   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Another upgrade for C5

@codded- Why are you so fixated on the idea of analysing the engine noise with a computer software? With some experience you will get to know most of the noises associated with the engine so don't worry to much.

If you want to check the rpm then another way is to check it with a tachometer. My RE workshop has one so yours should have one too. Idle rpm on our C5 is 1000+-50 or anything between 950 to 1050 rpm.
@ Randawa : haha...well i am going to confess that i am kind of obssesed with the engine noise...because that is one of the ways of detecting a trouble with your engine and i am always ears to my engine.The computer software thingy was just an experiment...a passing thought and an idea which could be implemented at zero cost thats all to it.Other than that I was going through the electrical diagram...please somebody could fill in more details of the EFI unit(which processor with datasheet if possible).One more thing... I have completed 900 kms till now and today was the 1st time when i touched 70 to 75 kms/hr for a min or two(way below your standards) .I just wanted to know that is it ok to touch such speeds during the 1st 1500 kms? I have completed the 1st servicing and although the owners manual says its ok...i wanted to know when was the 1st time when you went 70 km/hr and above?
Old 12th November 2010, 02:47   #860
BHPian

Quote:
iPhone has such a software using fourier analysis - Just aim the phone at the engine and rpm will show in its screen. But alas iPhone out of my reach...

If you are successful in the DIY, then teach us also.

regards
san
@randhawa : I hope you dont mind using the engine sound in your clip which you posted on youtube. I tried to find the RPM of your engine as well.as expected the dealer in my city does not have a tachometer

@stnair: I have posted the fourier analysis of Randhawa's bike and my bike. You can observe that there is a nice blob being displayed which i have marked with orange. since the piston moves up and down the markers must be multiplied by 2. Hence Ranhawa's bike's RPM shoud be anywhere between 960 and 1020. My bikes RPM should be somwhere between 840 and 900. Anyways if you listen to the sound clips of Randhawa's and my bikes engine...you will notice that Randhawa's bike is running at a higher RPM.I have attached the sound clip of my bike too.I dunt know how much i have been successful at this.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: rar My Bike engine sound.rar (153.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 12th November 2010, 09:54   #861
BHPian

@cooded

There is a saying in Malayalam - "Pattikku muzhuthenga kittiyapolei" - means like the Dog who got a coconut but doesnt know how to dehusk it to eat it . I looked at your Fourier analysis for half hour before realizing I cant make heads or tails of it. . Why the large difference in X axis between yours and Randhawa's though rpm diff is not much? I was more interested in the iPhone like software which reads out the rpm by listening to the sound.

Anyway good attempt.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:26   #862
BHPian

Default Hello friends and experts

@San : You got company
@ Cooded and Randhawa and other experts : Most youngsters of western countries would have aquired the knowledge of how to assemble an engine by the time they turn 20. Our country have lagged in this aspect miserably. You guys are an exception. Way to go guys !
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 11:50   #863
BHPian

Quote:
@cooded

There is a saying in Malayalam - "Pattikku muzhuthenga kittiyapolei" - means like the Dog who got a coconut but doesnt know how to dehusk it to eat it . I looked at your Fourier analysis for half hour before realizing I cant make heads or tails of it. . Why the large difference in X axis between yours and Randhawa's though rpm diff is not much? I was more interested in the iPhone like software which reads out the rpm by listening to the sound.

Anyway good attempt.
@ stnair: Its very simple. The X axis is time in seconds. I have a 45 sec sound clip out of which i analysed from 40th sec to 41st sec to get sharper and distinguishable curves.Same is the case with Randhawa's clip where i analyzed the part where he is holding his phone closer to his engine and steady too.Then i analyzed a second out of his sound clip too (36th sec to 37th sec) .The Y axis is decibel scale which tells you the amplitude of sound.So i chose only those amplitudes which go farthest in negative and positive direction.This sis simple fourier analysis which i have done here.

Another theory that could be implemented is, by taking an FFT you will come to know the amplitudes of different frequencies in the clip.So assume that the tappet is going to emit a sound of say 'x' hz. So this will be the case with all engines where a faulty tappet will emit a sound of x +- 50 hz. Similarly all the other unwanted sounds will have their typical frequencies.By doing an FFT you will come to know whether you have such frequencies(eg: frequency 'x' to indicate tappet are faulty) in your sound clip,and other smaller amplitude unwanted frequencies that are being masked by the engine noise or which otherwise can be easily missed by our ear or could be masked by the ambient noise. This could also give you a diagnostic of your engine(fairly accurate) before you want to open up your engine.This is what i meant by analyzing the sound of the engine. This is all very elementary and if you go a little more advanced then you can get a great deal of info.I think this must have been already implemented elsewhere.Anyways i am just a little happy about myself that i can, atleast theoretically, put my electronics knowledge to some use in another field of interest which is biking.Necessity is the mother of all invention.hehe.Thanks for the appreciation.
Old 12th November 2010, 12:16   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post
@ stnair: Its very simple. The X axis is time in seconds. I have a 45 sec sound clip out of which i analysed from 40th sec to 41st sec to get sharper and distinguishable curves.Same is the case with Randhawa's clip where i analyzed the part where he is holding his phone closer to his engine and steady too.Then i analyzed a second out of his sound clip too (36th sec to 37th sec) .The Y axis is decibel scale which tells you the amplitude of sound.So i chose only those amplitudes which go farthest in negative and positive direction.This sis simple fourier analysis which i have done here.

Another theory that could be implemented is, by taking an FFT you will come to know the amplitudes of different frequencies in the clip.So assume that the tappet is going to emit a sound of say 'x' hz. So this will be the case with all engines where a faulty tappet will emit a sound of x +- 50 hz. Similarly all the other unwanted sounds will have their typical frequencies.By doing an FFT you will come to know whether you have such frequencies(eg: frequency 'x' to indicate tappet are faulty) in your sound clip,and other smaller amplitude unwanted frequencies that are being masked by the engine noise or which otherwise can be easily missed by our ear or could be masked by the ambient noise. This could also give you a diagnostic of your engine(fairly accurate) before you want to open up your engine.This is what i meant by analyzing the sound of the engine. This is all very elementary and if you go a little more advanced then you can get a great deal of info.I think this must have been already implemented elsewhere.Anyways i am just a little happy about myself that i can, atleast theoretically, put my electronics knowledge to some use in another field of interest which is biking.Necessity is the mother of all invention.hehe.Thanks for the appreciation.
Mate,

We FIRELORDS meet every friday at Ashoka Mall, opposite of Sun n Sand hotel. Let's meet today evening around 8.15PM and we will have a Q&A.

Rock Hard Roll Safe
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 15:35   #865
BHPian

Sorry i know its off topic but please help.

I got my decompress cable removed because there was play in it causing an oil leak from there. The length of cable for old Tbird and new Tbird is different, the old cable is bit longer which doesn't adjust properly according to my mechanic. He advised me to go to some welder and cut a small bit and then again attach the hook by welding, but that cable got ruined because even the hook got melted. So now i have a normal tappet cover without the decompress cable . My bike does not have an electric start. As the winter season is almost here i start my bike by kicking it 2-3 times in ignition off and then in ignition on to avoid the sprag clutch problem. Is it the right way? guide me to avoid that problem.
ricky_1605 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 16:12   #866
BHPian

@cooded

I got it now. Actually I was looking at the Y axis and wondering instead of 'counting' the blips. Once you explain, it looks silly.

Now coming to the practical side, how do you plot that chart from the sound file ? Any readymade software/website ?

regards
san
Old 12th November 2010, 17:19   #867
BHPian

Quote:
@cooded

I got it now. Actually I was looking at the Y axis and wondering instead of 'counting' the blips. Once you explain, it looks silly.

Now coming to the practical side, how do you plot that chart from the sound file ? Any readymade software/website ?

regards
san
@stnair: yes...you can find plenty of freewares on the internet.All the program does is implements fourier transfor.You can write your own program in C or any other language. Once i study fourier analysis in more detail....i will let you know more of its practical usage. There must be such softwares and devices existing. How does an external tachometer measure the rpm pf the engine?
Old 12th November 2010, 17:28   #868
Senior - BHPian

@coded. You can touch up to 90 till 3k and then open up more.
@Ricky- if you don't have electric start then you don't have the sprag.

Try to get the original cable.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 17:43   #869
BHPian

[quote=Randhawa;2138215@Ricky- if you don't have electric start then you don't have the sprag.

Try to get the original cable.[/quote]

Thats a good news. I did not know.
Yes will try to get the original cable. What are the disadvantages if i am not able to get it soon?
ricky_1605 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 20:34   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@coded. You can touch up to 90 till 3k and then open up more.
@Ricky- if you don't have electric start then you don't have the sprag.

Try to get the original cable.

@Randhawa: Thanks for the info.

PS: The fourier analysis of your bike was far more beautiful than my bike.Your bike has a sharper thump.

@Adrian: Thanks....but i know i have a long way to go before i can be competent enough with other bike lovers.

@vitualhemant : I cant make it today, too busy at work.I did speak to Amey Thorat.He is a good friend of mine.I will try to make it next week.