Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th December 2010, 12:43   #961
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

My gear shifting has again become "Makkhan" /"Smooth" all by itself (as it used to be when the bike was new).

I am totally surprised, as I thought splitting the engine was the only option for me, as the gearshifts was really terrible untill few days ago. I cannot understand the reason for these mood swings in my C5......

May be Randhawa (who has torn apart the engine more than once, may know the exact mechanism better) and would be able to answer this.... !!!
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 13:49   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Adityaj- try getting blue diamond(USA made) teflon coating. You will love the smooth glass like feel.
Where did you get it done? How much does it cost? How well does it hold up under the sun?
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 15:16   #963
Senior - BHPian

@Bradhey- I think your clutch cable developed a bit more play Are you still facing the gears bumping out?

@Achint- It's available at most of the auto paint store. They sell it loose. Its just white liquid which you apply with a dry cloth. Let it dry for for half an hour and just wipe it off. It holds up until you wash the bike with some washing powder or hard soap. Water just slides over it. Once or twice a month is good enough to keep it even better then new.

Over here I pay Rs120 for 100gm.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:58   #964
BHPian

My strong wish to buy CL500 is no more now. After seeing so many complaints, I think it does not really make sense to buy the CL.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 19:30   #965
Senior - BHPian

It takes time to understand how she behaves, what she is capable off and why. Took me around 20k on odo to get to that point. Anyway if you can, ride one and I say ride like hell as if there is no tomorrow. I'll go that far saying, abuse it till your family jewels start to hibernate and then come to a conclusion. I'll be waiting at the end of tunnel with your answer.

But in all honest opinion I'll say give it a year and hold on to your thought before dismissing it all together. Thats after taking into consideration the time RE will take to sort out the one small thing in this engine which needs immediate attention and upgrade.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 22:29   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Thats after taking into consideration the time RE will take to sort out the one small thing in this engine which needs immediate attention and upgrade.
so which component is it that requires attention? Go ahead dude, tell us that!
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 23:19   #967
BHPian

Quote:
It takes time to understand how she behaves, what she is capable off and why. Took me around 20k on odo to get to that point. Anyway if you can, ride one and I say ride like hell as if there is no tomorrow. I'll go that far saying, abuse it till your family jewels start to hibernate and then come to a conclusion. I'll be waiting at the end of tunnel with your answer.

But in all honest opinion I'll say give it a year and hold on to your thought before dismissing it all together. Thats after taking into consideration the time RE will take to sort out the one small thing in this engine which needs immediate attention and upgrade.

@pawan_pullarwar : I am going to completely agree with Randhawa. My personal experience wanted me to throw my bike in the river with a feeling of money wasted.But you thought of buying a Bullet, which indicates that you have a thing for bikes, which means you will start to understand the issues and solve them with a logical reasoning behind them and not because the mechanic says it.That gives you an immense satisfaction and in this process you start understanding your baby. Then you experience the bike first hand, molding to your likes and vice versa, and the bike starts taking shape of what YOU want her to be and not what RE wants. At the end you have a bike which is exclusive, no other C5 on this planet can be like yours(like finger prints), and that is when you really OWN her. The process is lengthy and painful, but expertise like Randhawa, Hemant, Achint , nasirkaka and others help you out along the way. Get a C5, there is nothing else that can make more sense.
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 06:19   #968
BHPian

Smile Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Hi
I had test driven the Thunder bird and i was not completely satisfied with it. I am yet to test drive the 500cc Classic and Machismo. But few of my friends keep telling me that driving 500cc classic for a long distance is really painful on your back whereas thunder bird makes it easy. You have mentioned in your thread the same thing. Is it true that thunder bird is easy on your back for long distance trips. I know that the rider should also be fit for the task but still i would like your opinion on that. Second question is 500cc classic is more difficult to maintain compared to the other bullets. Even if i have the patience and time i dont want it to be a painful task.
Cheers

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 9th December 2010 at 06:22.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 10:27   #969
Senior - BHPian

1.) Yes. The Classic's seat is a pain in the posterior. The Thunderbird is much more comfortable in this regard. You can wait for the elusive TBTS 500, or go ahead with the Classic 500 and have its seat modified. If you get a properly modified seat with a new plate, you are looking at an expenditure of around Rs.2,500/-

2.) Umm... It really isn't. In fact it has far fewer niggling problems as compared to the CI bulls. For sure the UCE 350 is a much more trouble free mill. But you must understand that most of the issues are teething problems, and the fact this is a relatively new engine in a rustic market exacerbates the scarcity of solutions. Hopefully things will improve soon.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 11:42   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
I had test driven the Thunder bird and i was not completely satisfied with it. I am yet to test drive the 500cc Classic and Machismo. But few of my friends keep telling me that driving 500cc classic for a long distance is really painful on your back whereas thunder bird makes it easy. You have mentioned in your thread the same thing. Is it true that thunder bird is easy on your back for long distance trips. I know that the rider should also be fit for the task but still i would like your opinion on that. Second question is 500cc classic is more difficult to maintain compared to the other bullets. Even if i have the patience and time i dont want it to be a painful task.
Cheers
After reading and hearing too many times, I am giving my two cents. It's my opinion and you are welcome to defer.

Though I have lots of respect for TB, it's a RE BUT it's not a BULLET. RE customized bullet to suite to the urban needs and came up with TB.

Been close to bullets for so long, I can say that Std, Electra, Machismo, Classic can be more comfortable and enjoyable than TB if you make the adjustment to suit your needs. My fellow rider have made changes to TB handlebar and seats to make it more comfortable.

So man, it's not about TB or Classic.. It's you who mold the beast to your needs. And believe me 500cc is a very diff. league than 350cc. Only bullet that I adore from 350cc segment is Std. 350 which has perfect combination of Torque, weight and power that latest 350cc bullets don't have.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 15:48   #971

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
Cheers
Hi drrajasaravanan

Adding my 2 cents as well.
I think its a very individual opinion to go for one over the other. Like for instance, with my weight and physique, (5' 11'' 72 kgs) I never had a problem with C5. Even on long rides. I have done a continuous ride of 200 kms at a stretch and still did not have any issues with back or bums whatsoever.

Also, with due respect to Thunderbird, in my opinion is a black mark in the designs of RE. It might be contrary to the conforts etc the TB gives over Bullets/electra/machismo. I have grown up with an image of Bullets (which is synonymous to Royal Enfield for majority of Indians) as those on which we sit upright hold the handle bar straight and keep riding on and on.
So take your call based on what you'd like.
Importantly do a test ride of C5. Enough test rides for that matter. Not that the test rides will help you know the vehicle exactly, but to know how you'd feel riding it.

One reaction of a friend of mine riding my C5: "It feels majestic riding this"

As far as maintaining the C5 is concerned, this time its individual's luck coming into picture. If you look at the thread no 2 C5s are alike. Though there could be some typical issues that you'd see, it doesn't guarantee you that all C5s would be just like that. I have met people who have faced some major issues (thought very well covered under warranty) and enough people with no major issues at all including me.
If you haven't gambled in Las-Vegas or Macau, buying a C5 is the closest one can get
adityaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 17:54   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaj View Post
If you haven't gambled in Las-Vegas or Macau, buying a C5 is the closest one can get
I liked it. Very will said.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 18:17   #973
BHPian

A lot of hardcore Royal enfield veterans do not consider the Thunderbird a true-blood Enfield. They may be right from their point of view. Its a free world and we all have rights to like / dislike a bike.

However, the Thunderbird has a large role to play in what Royal Enfield is today. If not for Thunderbird, there would have been NO Classic 500.

In the late 90s, Royal Enfield, as a company was almost about to shut down, as they were not doing well. Thats when someone (i think S. Lal), thought of resurrecting the company, hired an industrial design from IDC, and briefed his team to design a bike with modern-looks keeping the tooling investments as low as possible. More like a cosmetic change. The outcome of this exercise was Thunderbird.
TB uses majority of the parts from the previous RE models such as standard and electra, and with some modifications such as the tank, the front headlamp and console assembly, handlebar, etc it is what it is. In principle, the main frame, the tyres, the engine remains the same as any old bull.

Before the Thunderbird, RE/bullet as a brand was NOT associated with the younger generation. Thunderbird broke that image and was instant hit. The sales started to rise, and so did the profits.

So lets give some credit to the TB.

As for the comfort, in general, majority of the people find it to be more comfortable to cruise on a Thunderbird then on other 350cc RE models, when on highway. Some exceptions are always there.

Lookswise, some might swear-by it, some find it to be trash. toeach, his own.

Initially, i use to like the looks of the bike, but now i dont like it.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 21:30   #974
BHPian

Need help. I booked C5 T Blue color on 29th Nov at Jayanagar Brand Store, Bangalore and I was told by the dealer that they have 83 bookings for C5 T Blue color. I checked again today and its the same number as 83. Is there anyway to have an order number or track my booking in a better way?

Dealer also mentioned that there is some increase in RE Production (approx 20-30 nos per month) and there is an update from RE that classic production per month may increase by 2000. Do anyone has any update? I know I am being impatient but its really very difficult to wait for 8-10 months.
rajanvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 21:32   #975
BHPian

Quote:

I am scared of only one thing, I read somewhere, C5 get out of control if it get driven on slightly uneven road patch. My 67000 KM driven Pulsar Classic in just 3 year was started giving the same problem after 50K km. And it was the scary one. That is the only thing scaring me as of now.

I still have 6 months time to come back to India, so I will wait what RE does to improve this unstablity problem or the issue which Randhwa mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post
@pawan_pullarwar : I am going to completely agree with Randhawa. My personal experience wanted me to throw my bike in the river with a feeling of money wasted.But you thought of buying a Bullet, which indicates that you have a thing for bikes, which means you will start to understand the issues and solve them with a logical reasoning behind them and not because the mechanic says it.That gives you an immense satisfaction and in this process you start understanding your baby. Then you experience the bike first hand, molding to your likes and vice versa, and the bike starts taking shape of what YOU want her to be and not what RE wants. At the end you have a bike which is exclusive, no other C5 on this planet can be like yours(like finger prints), and that is when you really OWN her. The process is lengthy and painful, but expertise like Randhawa, Hemant, Achint , nasirkaka and others help you out along the way. Get a C5, there is nothing else that can make more sense.
Thanks for encourage .. Before booking C500 CL, I will come back to this thread for advice.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote