Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th December 2010, 21:41   #976
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

I am going to have a lot of trouble maintaining my bike in Pune.

I am still trying to solve the rear wheel sound.
I went to 2 RE Authorized Service Center and they tried the following stuff:

1.Tightened, loosend the chain a couple of times adjusted the cam notches zillion times.

2. One of the service centers changed the rear wheel bearings.

3. Today fortunately the sound did appear in front of the RE mechanic and he loosened the chain again. Now it hits the chain cover.

I have attachedt he link along with this post.Please do give me a solution.
In this clip,other than the catalytic converter cooling down, you can hear the louder "thak thak" sound when i rotate the wheel.

I think that sound has nothing to do with the chain.
Pleasseee...please do help me out guys.

@ Randhawa: I did get a logical explanation from the mechanic about the "ringing of bells" sound.Apparently the push rods are hollow cylinders, hence when the tappets do not hit them at the right place, the push rods make the sound...which gets amplified because they are hollow.I hope this makes sense to u.

Thanks
Rahul
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 22:25   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooded View Post
@ Randhawa: I did get a logical explanation from the mechanic about the "ringing of bells" sound.Apparently the push rods are hollow cylinders, hence when the tappets do not hit them at the right place, the push rods make the sound...which gets amplified because they are hollow.I hope this makes sense to u.
Hey Are you talking about a sound like distant church bells ringing? I hear it sometimes and I thought I was hallucinating. So its real and you people hear it too ?
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 00:02   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Hey Are you talking about a sound like distant church bells ringing? I hear it sometimes and I thought I was hallucinating. So its real and you people hear it too ?

Yup..something like that...sometimes it is very audible. Thankfully my bike did make that sound in front of the mechanic.

@Randhawa: Well...what i wanted to ask was does that explanation make any sense to u?
Old 10th December 2010, 00:14   #979
Senior - BHPian

@Pawan- Instability is supposedly taken care off by a 19 inch wheel upfront on newer C5. Don't be scared man, nobody is forcing you to buy C5 and we would not recommend unless we are sure the issue has been taken care off.

@Rahul-"ringing bells-hollow rods" More I hear these kind of explanation, more I respect my local RE workshop. If you can ever lay hands on a hydraulic tappet, pushrod and rocker of a C5 then do carefully observe the three together.

Your rear wheel noise isin't a big problem but as you know now its due to the chain with a tight spot in its length. Find the tight spot on your chain. Mark the tight spot and adjust the chain again with the tight spot in the middle of the rear and front sprocket. Keep a 1.5 inch slack in the middle of the chain length, tighten the rear drum assembly and that should resolve it.

I cant believe your mechanic who is telling you stories about ringing bells and cant simply adjust the chain right. I can feel your frustration.

@Nasir- Got your answer yet?
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 00:37   #980
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... My engine's bells started ringing again. The tune seems to have gone off again. Will reset things this weekend.
The engine just doesn't sound like its been put together well. :(

Sanjeet, do you think its time to top up the fork oil?
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 11:29   #981
Senior - BHPian

It's the cold yarr, it effects humans as well as machines.

Changing fork oil isn't easy on our Classics. But you will get a chance to put proper fork oil this time around.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:02   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Pawan- Instability is supposedly taken care off by a 19 inch wheel upfront on newer C5. Don't be scared man, nobody is forcing you to buy C5 and we would not recommend unless we are sure the issue has been taken care off.

@Rahul-"ringing bells-hollow rods" More I hear these kind of explanation, more I respect my local RE workshop. If you can ever lay hands on a hydraulic tappet, pushrod and rocker of a C5 then do carefully observe the three together.

Your rear wheel noise isin't a big problem but as you know now its due to the chain with a tight spot in its length. Find the tight spot on your chain. Mark the tight spot and adjust the chain again with the tight spot in the middle of the rear and front sprocket. Keep a 1.5 inch slack in the middle of the chain length, tighten the rear drum assembly and that should resolve it.

I cant believe your mechanic who is telling you stories about ringing bells and cant simply adjust the chain right. I can feel your frustration.

@Randhawa: So the explanation he gave me is not right?
Old 10th December 2010, 12:24   #983
Senior - BHPian

Nope, it isn't right. Try asking any CI owner about ringing bells from their pushrods. You will just make them laugh. Stop worrying about noises man or you will drive yourself crazy and loose sleep over it. Wait till you at least do 2-3k.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:05   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Stop worrying about noises man or you will drive yourself crazy and loose sleep over it.
@cooded, Believe what Guru says. I usually ride with a tight helmet over my ears so half the noise is muffled - only the faint thump comes out which is nice to hear. Once I recorded the engine with my mobile and nearly had a heart attack

regards
San
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 16:10   #985
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Just paid the money for my Classic 500 maroon today. Would be taking delivery by next Thursday/Friday. Am thrilled to lay my hands on the new baby.
diwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 16:35   #986
Senior - BHPian

@diwa- congratulations Welcome to the bandwagon. You are going to have a very tough week hey
Old 10th December 2010, 16:46   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Just paid the money for my Classic 500 maroon today. Would be taking delivery by next Thursday/Friday. Am thrilled to lay my hands on the new baby.

@diwa: well do go through this thread for making those pre delivery checks all by yourself . At the end of the owners manual there is a page which has a list of checks to be performed.Please go through them too. Congrats for your bike...god help you till next thursday/friday..haha

@Randhawa: Hemant has already told me to ignore the noises and gave me the suggestion which stnair gave . I am trying to ignore them...but they just bloody fall on to my ears....gimme some time bro.

Last edited by cooded : 10th December 2010 at 16:49.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:15   #988
Senior - BHPian

@Rahul. Thing is that if any part of the noise was to be taken seriously then I would have told you. I mean if it made any unusual noise or you had a reliability/performance issue then again I would have explained it to you.

UCE engine valve terrain does makes noise and it will quieten down after 5-7k. I give you my assurance on that but cant help you now. You will have to learn to ignore it for now. Wear a helmet at all times and it will resolve all the valve terrain related noises.

I have explained you why and from where these noises comes but unless you can find someone who can blue print the valve terrain, you will have to ride till 5-7k to let it sort it out itself.

It falls on your ear because you are focussing on it and trying to find something unusual or new noise which you yet cannot relate to each and every part of the valve terrain. But I have gone through this phase and it took me a while to calm down so I can understand your plight.

Just control yarr
Old 10th December 2010, 18:53   #989
BHPian

@ Randhawa - Thanks for your wishes, Yes its going to be tough slow week. Saw the bike before cutting the cheque, RE will do PDI only after realisation of the cheque. So the delay in delivery.

@Codded - Thanks for your wishes. Have been following the thread right from the day Randhawa started it. Will keep in mind the PDI checklist when taking delivery.
diwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 19:09   #990
BHPian

Quote:
bit tied up with work, so have yet to open the chain.
But i presume you hint is towards a tight spot in the chain.
Will keep an eye.

Was planning on self servicing the bike (basics) this coming Sunday, but may not be possible. Hopefully the next sunday. last couple of weeks, the bike is been running fine, not much jhatkaas, hardly any popping, not much issues with starting, etc. Touch-wood.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote