Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th December 2010, 22:44   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Seating comfort and ergonomics wise i don't like the C5 at all.the seat is funny.and seating position is uncomfortable.the handlebar is wierd.Infact i would swap it all with the LB500 stuff to make it comfortable.

LB delivers power no doubt.It has power but it does not have the sudden urge to release the power like the C5.

Thats all i could gather from the ride.Could not open it up as it was a brand new bike with about a 100kms on the odo.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 22:46   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Puffy- LB and C5 are a lot apart. You wont find the touring comfort of LB on C5 and you wont find the agility of a cougar in LB compared to C5.

Yes C5 is smoother but the way it delivers the power is quite different compared to LB. One things about C5 is that it performs different at given times. Its like an Italian pedigree bikes. At times it perform like lightning and then sometimes like a bull. All to do with ECU.

You seriously need to ride the new C5 to see how smoothly it can do 100-115 all day long.

I think Navpreet can give you a better comparison as he has a LB500 and test rode a C5.

@Naren- We can't go for a bigger front sprocket on C5. There is no space for it.
I haven't really had a look see! Bad luck for tuners then; Rev limited and no room for a larger sprocket.
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 01:00   #1053
Senior - BHPian

That also means you didn't get the time to check out the cams yet I had forgot to mention this last time but when you do take some time to adjust the cams, try to check out the RH side crank shaft for any up/down movement.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 12:29   #1054
BHPian

Default My New Baby

Took delivery of my baby yesterday evening and am really happy about my new acquisition. It's raining in Chennai and disappointed that couldn't go for a longer spin.

I was informed that I need to book 25days in advance for the service as there are people already waiting in Que to service there bikes.

A few pics when I took delivery.
Attached Images

Last edited by diwa : 17th December 2010 at 12:30.
diwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 13:37   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexanerax View Post
Contrary to popular belief, Back pressure will affect the compression. There is a phenomenon called valve overlap that uses the principle of inertia to improve engine breathing. Hot exhaust gases are vented out at a high velocity , a lot of the thermal energy getting converted to kinetic energy as it expands into the low pressure exhaust system. The intake valve opens and the exhaust valve also remains open for a small part of the crank rotation ( few degrees) so that the inertia of the hi velocity exhaust gases can be used to create a lower pressure in the cylinder head , pulling in air at a good rate even as the piston moves down in the intake stroke. This is a function of the exhaust gas velocity and a restrictive exhaust can decrease this effect. But conversely , too free an exhaust system and the exhaust gas velocity will decrease and the advantage is lost. Bernoulli's principle at work ( fluid pressure is inversely proportional to velocity of flow ).
The port diam , the valve stem , intake manifold shape , Air filter and so many variables influence the torque characteristics but generally , free flow ( intake and exhaust ) will tend to reduce low end torque and improve high end power. That is why , if the silencer is fully removed , replaced with a stove pipe design( just a length of pipe ) , the vehicle will not even idle well ( due to extremely poor low end torque) but may show impressive gains at full RPM.
More over , higher exhaust gas velocity results in higher temps on the exhaust valve seal , face and stem and may lead to premature failure. A lot of fun can be had by cam re-phasing , adjusting the intake cam to open the intake valve later in the stroke and leaving it open a few degrees past bottom dead center , even to the point where the piston has started rising in the compression stroke.The fast flowing air stream will continue to fill the cylinder , even against the rising piston till the pressure inside is higher than the kinetic energy of the air stream can overcome.
Thanks Friend,
Now that is the type of info I been looking for. Keep 'em coming ! Now the question : This stock pipe fitted by RE, the restrictive one- is it beneficial for the engine in the long run?
@diwa
Congratulations and happy thumping !

Last edited by adrian : 17th December 2010 at 13:50.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 14:16   #1056
BHPian

@diwa

Congrats on the new born.

The front tyres are 18" ? From the relative position of front mudguard to fork sleeves, it looks like 18" tyres. Havent they upgraded C5 to 19" ?

And why is the brake and clutch lever silver in color? (Mine is black). Anything special there ?

regards
san
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 15:45   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
@diwa

Congrats on the new born.

The front tyres are 18" ? From the relative position of front mudguard to fork sleeves, it looks like 18" tyres. Havent they upgraded C5 to 19" ?

And why is the brake and clutch lever silver in color? (Mine is black). Anything special there ?

regards
san
Thanks stnair for your wishes.

The front tyre is 19" only.

I have no idea about the color of the levers. As far as I have seen in the showroom all Classics had the same lever.

When I was taking delivery, a couple of silver color C350's arrived from the factory and it had the same metallic paint as in TB. The previous once I had seen earlier some time in July was a dull grey non-metallic one.

@adrian - Thanks for your wishes
diwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 17:27   #1058
BHPian

@Diwa: Congrats bro and welcome to the club. I remember my 1st day with my baby...rode 90 kms on the very first day at 40km/hr. Came back home late in the night.
cooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 18:07   #1059
BHPian

@ Naren:

Opps! Tuning the exhaust w.r.t back-pressure sounds so technical with so many other complex parameters.
Quote:
Ideally , you would use a less restrictive silencer and tune it , testing at a variety of settings.
How do we go about tuning a silencer? Is it something doable at home/service station?
For Eg. my expectation is as follows:
I mostly use the bike in a city, where either there is traffic or a speed breaker stopping my from a gradual acceleration. The ride is mostly in 1,2 and 3 gears, with frequent shifts. Highway/long tours happen once in a while, and i am content with max speed of 110-115. Dont think our highways are safe enough to even do those speeds, add to which the vibrations, stabilities issues etc from the bike.
So my requirement would be tuning the bike (exhaust) towards city riding, Where the bike should be able to accelerate quick, in 1st and 2nd gear. I am willing to compromise on the exhaust note. How do i go about achieving the above. (now that the possibility of a larger front sprocket is also ruled out). :(

@ navpreet:
Quote:
Seating comfort and ergonomics wise i don't like the C5 at all.the seat is funny.and seating position is uncomfortable.the handlebar is wierd.Infact i would swap it all with the LB500 stuff to make it comfortable.

LB delivers power no doubt.It has power but it does not have the sudden urge to release the power like the C5.
Totally agree with the above.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 18:12   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Thanks Friend,
Now that is the type of info I been looking for. Keep 'em coming ! Now the question : This stock pipe fitted by RE, the restrictive one- is it beneficial for the engine in the long run?
@diwa
Congratulations and happy thumping !
Both the regular silencer and the upswept are ok in the sense that the exhaust valves will not wear out prematurely. The OEM silencer has a bit more restriction to flow and lower exhaust gas velocity ( and less noise) but it's main function is cleaning up unburned hydrocarbons from the exhaust which the upswept will not do.Considering the amount of soot in the exhaust , i wonder if the dual Cat Con silencer units will clog up as the miles mount. I run an upswept and have not babied my bike at all. Been running hi revs and speeds in a variety of terrain. I even did a Ladakh trip in June with a 100 Kg pillion rider + luggage , holding speeds of 120+ on the Punjab roads for long stretches and my valves are still good!
Old 17th December 2010, 19:33   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
@ Naren:

Opps! Tuning the exhaust w.r.t back-pressure sounds so technical with so many other complex parameters.

How do we go about tuning a silencer? Is it something doable at home/service station?
For Eg. my expectation is as follows:
I mostly use the bike in a city, where either there is traffic or a speed breaker stopping my from a gradual acceleration. The ride is mostly in 1,2 and 3 gears, with frequent shifts. Highway/long tours happen once in a while, and i am content with max speed of 110-115. Dont think our highways are safe enough to even do those speeds, add to which the vibrations, stabilities issues etc from the bike.
So my requirement would be tuning the bike (exhaust) towards city riding, Where the bike should be able to accelerate quick, in 1st and 2nd gear. I am willing to compromise on the exhaust note. How do i go about achieving the above. (now that the possibility of a larger front sprocket is also ruled out). :(

@ navpreet:

Totally agree with the above.
@ Nasirkaka - The road speed of the bike does not really matter; what does is the engine RPM , and the throttle position. For city use , a slightly restrictive exhaust will reduce airflow through the cylinder and lead to a lower dynamic compression ( less air in cylinder = lower peak pressure on the compression stroke) which tends to allow you to use a higher gear than with a free flow silencer which would tend to make the engine ping, knock and jerk. If your riding style is hell for leather and you keep the throttle open to more than 75 % even in lower gears, a free flow Ex would improve torque and acceleration at the higher engine revs at the expense of somewhat poor pulling at low revs. Ideally , you acquire , beg borrow or steal a bunch of silencers , with different pipe diam , internal structure etc and run them , over a carefully measured road , having a friend time you with a stopwatch and keeping throttle opening constant ( mark with a tape or a marker on the grip). The resultant numbers combined with gut feel and butt feel will point you to the best design without complicated math , computers or tools. I believe that the stock EFI silencer is a pretty good compromise and the reason most people change to the upswept is for looks or sound effects ( i did it for the looks). Your eventual driving style will adjust to your engine and suspension characteristics and you will get used to the power/torque available.
Regarding stability , My bike has serious shimmying at 110 KPH. I have ridden a lightning 535 on the Bangalore Ring road @ 120 + and had a front puncture @ 90 and stopped safely but the classic @ 110 made me scared. With a pillion rider , the shimmying disappeared. I changed to a hi aspect 100 x 90 x 18 pirelli front ( overall circumference = the 19 " , modded my mudguard to fit the larger tire , replace the rear with a michelin Sirac 120 x 80 x 18 but to no avail. A month back , My rear shock absorber pre-load adjuster flange broke off and the dealer gave me a replacement set under warranty. Now the instability has disappeared and i have pushed the bike to an indicated 130 without any instability. In fact the bike now handles as good as my brothers home rebuilt 535 which is like a leech on glue. Lesson : check out the shock absorbers , even try a new set if you can get a pair.It may solve your stability issues.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:17   #1062
BHPian

Smile Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Hi
@randhawa:
I have test driven both classic the 350cc one and the 500cc one. I like the 350cc as its better manageable. What i hear from the service guys is that the 500cc is difficult to maintain and will give you a headache when you go for long drives and is more unreliable than the 350cc. I would like your opinion on that. I am planning to book the vehicle and as there is already a 10 month long wait i would not want to delay it further. Thanks in advance
Cheers.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 23:26   #1063
Senior - BHPian

First of all why don't you get the bike from Chandigarh and transport it there? A lot cheaper and you can get it in a months time?

It's all crap what the mechanics says. Its far better then C3 and more manageable too. There is no carburettor to tune up and C5 has a basic but quite reliable EFI setup. Nothing can go wrong with it.

Front end of C3 is heavier so I don't know how you felt C3 more manageable but may be due to the wait you felt that. Apart from whatever problems I have faced, I never had my C5 dying on me even once except due to water getting into the ignition switch due to which I had a problem once.

If you want power then don't look back or you will curse yourself every time you will catch up with a C5 at traffic lights

I can ride my C5 with dignity and respect at slow speeds but when I do ride hard I manage to embarrass a lot of people on highway and in city. Which I am not really proud off but due to the same reason I keep forgiving RE for the problems I have faced so far.

But longer you wait will benefit you as you might end up getting few newer upgrades on C5.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 08:42   #1064
BHPian

Smile Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Hi
@randhawa:
Thanks for your prompt response. The cost of Classic 500 in chennai is 1.45lakhs on road and the waiting period is 10months. I have already asked around all dealers in tamil nadu and everybody is claiming a waiting period of 7 to 8 months. How different is it in chandigarh.
Cheers
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 09:19   #1065
BHPian

Nobody buys C5 in Chandigarh
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote