Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th December 2010, 20:35   #1096
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

@ Nasirkaka..
you are not alone bro. many of us here have the same dream, does that make the chances better for the universe conspiring for us.
I feel more than the power (which I believe is adequate for our roads already filled with nightmares) the quality needs to be improved leaps and bounds, I not even sure if the RE factory in Chennai has a proper production line which is in line with current production standards.(Correct me if I am wrong here)
but having said that I myself might counter that argument saying thats what makes a bullet a bullet.
What ever it is I have decided to go ahead with the purchase, one thing that can affect the decision is Randhawa's verdict. I am still waiting for it patiently
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 12:11   #1097
BHPian

Randhawa I am at awe to go through your tribulation. I cannot imagine that an overfilled tyre would result in "shifting" gear shift. There has to something more to it.

Like I said, my gears were shifting pretty hard, all of a sudden" and then settled down all by itself. So I think there is play in the gear shifting mechanism somewhere which results in these changes.

Also I am still not sure if my bike is fully cured of slipping out of gear, because this happens very rarely and only when you suddenly hit a high bump or deep pot hole on the road. May be I should do some off roading to check it out......
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 13:45   #1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
Randhawa I am at awe to go through your tribulation. I cannot imagine that an overfilled tyre would result in "shifting" gear shift. There has to something more to it.

Like I said, my gears were shifting pretty hard, all of a sudden" and then settled down all by itself. So I think there is play in the gear shifting mechanism somewhere which results in these changes.

Also I am still not sure if my bike is fully cured of slipping out of gear, because this happens very rarely and only when you suddenly hit a high bump or deep pot hole on the road. May be I should do some off roading to check it out......
Bradhey: I see exactly the same thing happening with me. whenever am on a bump or a pot-hole the bike gets into a false neutral. This happens if am on the faster side, however, Bangalore roads give you enough chances to test this out :(
Is there a way to reduce that play in the gar shifting mechanism so that I have control on the gears and not the road as such?

With regards to the fickle-minded-gears, I face this issue almost always. For some time its butter smooth and all of a sudden the gear shifts get so stiff and unwilling. No idea why these mood-swings are seen in the gears. Any help Randhawa?
adityaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 15:46   #1099
BHPian

I never liked the stock position (the angle) of the gear-shifter lever, w.r.t my foot positioning. Results were accidentally actuating the gear on humps/ potholes, false neutrals etc.
What i did was, pulled out the gear-shifter lever, rotated is by one teeth, and the result was a much comfortable foot posture. Also resulted in reduced no of false neutrals, accidental hits etc.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 28th December 2010 at 15:48.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 16:01   #1100
BHPian

Hi, Is it possible to replace the new type of gear shifter lever in the uce with the old one found in CI ? I personally felt that the shifting of gears in Bulls are much more accurate when the heels are not used while shifting.

Last edited by adrian : 28th December 2010 at 16:12.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 16:49   #1101
BHPian

Hi Posting images of the gear lever in case I didn't manage to get the message across correctly !
Now is it possible to fix the gear shifting lever in the picture on the new UCEs?
Attached Images

Last edited by adrian : 28th December 2010 at 16:52.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 17:22   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi, Is it possible to replace the new type of gear shifter lever in the uce with the old one found in CI ? I personally felt that the shifting of gears in Bulls are much more accurate when the heels are not used while shifting.
You may cut and remove the rear part of the gear shifter on your C5 (like it is on the export models). I do not use at all for upshifting, but have left it stock for times when I wear my best formal shoes
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 20:01   #1103
Senior - BHPian

@Adrian- Yes you can get only the toe shifter from export model C5(only toe shifter) and you will have to change the RH side peg as well.

@Bradhey- Yes there is more to it. Ever tried shifting a gear on a very rough road!

Ok, here is my view on it. Hard shifting on a UCE is a result of clutch not engaging and disengaging properly in my observation, weak springs could be the reason behind it. Thats only the reason why we have sometimes butter smooth shifts and then crackly ones.

If it was due to the damaged selector forks or cam plate then the hard shifting and jumping gear would be permanent and if the gears had a broken tooth or the shafts were not aligned properly then again the same case.

Only thing I can think off is if the gear has not engaged properly in the first place and not locked in by the striker.

Play, yes there is plenty in between the engaging/helper gears and thats why there is play when we engage into a gear and rotate the rear wheel we feel the slag.

There is a tiny bit of play in the engaging shaft. But again if there was enough play then you will have the problem occurring more frequently.

Recently seen a problem on UCE 350 with no fourth gear and it was due to a damaged washer.

Seriously take her on some rough patch and see how the shifting goes.

On a second though I think I'll investigate more if I can lay my hands on a stripped UCE soon.

Last edited by Randhawa : 28th December 2010 at 20:08.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 11:36   #1104
BHPian

Default Speedo error on C5

This morning I checked the speedo and odo readings on my C5 (with 18" front wheel) against a GPS tracker app (on cell phone) on my way to office and the following are the readings:

Speed (km/h)
C5 indicated GPS indicated % diff
80 75.5 5.6
60 57.2 4.6

Odo (km)
9 8.4
7 6.4

For the speed readings, I ensured that the speeds were maintained for over a period of 2-3 mins consistently.
I feel this error is slightly on the higher side, but I could be wrong. Would this be the same even with the new C5s having a 19" front wheel?
girishab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 11:43   #1105
BHPian

Default Re: Speedo error on C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishab View Post

Speed (km/h)
C5 indicated GPS indicated % diff
80 75.5 5.6
60 57.2 4.6
This is fine, all the vehicles have a certain amount of speedo error (noticed this even on a digital speedo on a pulsar) and this percentage change seems reasonable to me.

The newer C5's with 19" front would not be much different as the speedo would (should) be calibrated for 19"
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 12:52   #1106
Senior - BHPian

^
Exactly.

Speedos are calibrated according the rolling radius. Don't expect drastic changes with the 19". Also, 5% is kind of okay. Bullets are known to be rather inaccurate with the speeds.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 16:00   #1107
BHPian

@Randhawa:
While I was coming back from Dehradun,I experienced the weird results of overfilled air in the tires.
Instead of 32 psi,the drunken guy at that rickety shop overfilled the rear to around 40 or so.
After which I felt as if C5 hardly knows what shockers are meant for it was thudding & jumping at each and every small bump,though the overfilled tires tend to roll the motorcycle like a rocket.
There always has been an issue while changing gears on a bump,however at plain stretches,gear shift was just the way it usually is.

Later I reduced the tire pressure myself assuming it to have come to reasonable limits.
terminator_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 18:02   #1108
Senior - BHPian

@Terminator- Hhaha over filled tyres = rocket. The jerks tend to get transferred to the tranny and upsets the whole shifting mechanism.

Another new update for C5 from RE

Although its a tiny one but I quite liked the thought behind it.

The new C5 I saw today at the dealer had one horn but wiring for another horn very neatly integrated into the loom and strapped with rest of the horn wiring, ready for another horn.

The wire gauge was thin as usual but not sure if the max capacity of Amp which can be drawn from the two pairs would still be the max 2.5 Amp or more.

Or perhaps it was for future O2 sensor

Last edited by Randhawa : 29th December 2010 at 18:04.
Old 29th December 2010, 23:14   #1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Another new update for C5 from RE
Or perhaps it was for future O2 sensor
Amen!!

I'm getting my C5 the coming week. I guess i miss the train if there was going to be an O2 sensor upgrade directly from RE.
+rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 12:55   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Happy New Year to all present and future C5 owners(inc all T-Bhpians ). May God bless you with patience to deal with niggling problems RE plans to through at us. I wish for a service centre to stock parts for eternity and waiting time for parts arrival is reduced to Zilch.

May RE God bless us with rust proof chassis and outstanding paint quality with upgrade to much needed NRB on CS RHS and make our Bullets a bullet proof UCE. I know I am getting greedy here but a O2 would give our sooted plugs a sigh of relief and give the couple a less stressful life ahead.

I wish for a prosperous future for RE and its bandwagon. Wishing you all a very happy thumping(or what is left of it ) future ahead.