Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th January 2011, 19:35   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikjammy87 View Post
secondly all newer CL500 come with new thin plastic casing in the air vent box(as explained tthat in some ikes the pressure was so high in the box that metal casing blasted so to protect it is laced abover the air filter,i saw it by my self.
Load of bull****. Anyways you should go through this thread and you wont need any un-educated RE engineer to give you half baked information.

I think you don't have a clue to why the filter box cover is there and who made the most fuss about it so the future generation of C5 owners can have a solution to the problem of air filter box problem.

Now for your electrical problem, you just need a multimeter to get the most of the checks done on C5 electrical. Feel sorry for you as you have a pathetic RE workshop. I wish you good luck with your C5 ownership and problem solving skills of your RE workshop.

@Nasir- Search this thread for the bush info please, just came back from my first RE sponsored ride and totally knackered. Will update later.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 13:02   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
just came back from my first RE sponsored ride and totally knackered.
WOW! updates please!
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 22:31   #1173
BHPian

One of the best reviews for C500 that I have read.......with solutions to the issues also.......
Karlitoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 23:49   #1174
Senior - BHPian

My first RE sponsored ride from Chandigarh to Dakpatthar via Paonta Sahib

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 2538
Size:  327.4 KB
There was no planning involved as it just not happens with me even if I try so I just do things when I feel the urge. Last year I wanted to do the RE sponsored Rajasthan trip but for 15k+ your fuel(organised by RE but payed by bulleters) for 10 days I thought it was a rip off and I could do better myself. Considering I can not travel in a heard so prefer a small lively bunch to ride with.

Nevertheless I got a call on friday from my dealer to go for a ride and previously whenever they had invited me for a ride, I always had things to do but this time I could just fit in. It was a short ride with around 10 riders and 150km one way. As usual I was not dressed for the occasion.

In the morning I was supposed to meet up at 9:30am but around 9 I was still in bed and looking out for hope of weather clearing up or just the rain to stop. Anyhow with some motivation from other rider who called me up to know why I was getting late, I got off and reached at our meeting point. To my surprise most of the riders had called off the trip, they were either very vice or not too adventures but I hate party poppers and I was in no mood to go back home after ruining my weekend nap.

So in all there was only one more rider and two RE officials, in total we were a gang of 4 riders and three bikes. But it was not supposed to be a smooth day. Just before we had to depart other ride who had TBTS had his fuel tank leak. It was dripping fuel at a moderate speed and he had his TBTS only for a month. Well the dealer did not wanted us to cancel the trip so arranged another tank so we could take off.

By the time we actually left, it was around 12noon and that was the last time I looked into my watch till sunday evening when I got home totally knackered.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2354
Size:  117.3 KB

It was drizzling for a while but stopped and started raining at the end of our journey. It was misty and cold and I was enjoying it. Now the road- it was just pathetic and not meant for C5 riders. First 30km was just fine but later it kept getting bad, so many potholes and slippery mud was making our ride a bit unsafe so had to ride really carefully. One of the rider nearly lost his mag wheel into a pothole and I stood by him consoling with a giggle(I warned him previously not to go for alloys on a bullet for rough roads). Stopped at Kalaamb for lunch and the road ahead was just awesome, Anastassia and me were totally sync with the twisty's but the fear of loosing the brake pedal to the tarmac was pulling me back and specially the other riders just could not keep up with C5 so had to slow down and left the twisty's for some other day.

After reaching Paonta Sahib we headed straight to our destination but it got dark and rain literally soaked us. We were half frozen and only few km off the destination decided to return back to Paonta Sahib where the hotel was booked for our stay.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  94.8 KB

After reaching Hotel all we wanted was a heater to warm our heavenly bodies and dry our clothes. Soon enough we ordered food in and made ourself comfortable watching the cricket match. Just before we started our meal, India was 140/4 and we thought the match is lost but hey there was some exciting time ahead. Excitement followed, by the end of it we all had overeaten the delicious chicken tikka and cheese finger just to cheer up India and had to pay the price with our overfilled belly's. But we had a feeling that the match was fixed. Anyways just before we finished our little walk, there was this Giant earthling sitting in the dinning area.

It was our beloved Khali His home town is just 35km from Paonta Sahib and I guess he came around to meet his friends. I didn't dare to take a picture or even say hi as I had no intentions to feel insignificant when standing next to a you know what.

In the morning after having our breakfast, went to the Gurdwara and came back to the hotel to meet the RE sub dealer in Paonta Sahib who accompanied us to Dakpatthar.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 2930
Size:  85.5 KB

It was a sunny day and soon enough we were at DakPatthar. I think Dakpatthar is the place where the river Yamuna ends its journey of mountains and starts it journey into plains.
Name:  15.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  106.1 KB Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  112.7 KB

It was just awesome and I almost fell asleep on the bike while trying to absorb some vitamin D. Found a old roadroller and tried my level best to bring it to life and write a First Team-Bhp roadroller review but I lost my battle to the rust which had eaten most of its parts.
Name:  17.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  91.7 KB Name:  18.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  117.7 KB Name:  23.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  56.0 KB

From there on took off straight to Chandigarh. In between I hit the same twisty's and actually stopped for 10minutes to give the other two riders heads up so I could get another shot at the twisty's without actually slowing down for them. Most of the time I wanted to speed up but with a CI 350 and TBTS on tail, my options were limited. Although I made them switch on their headlights all the time so I could see them in my rear view mirror rather then speculating or waiting all the time for them to catch up. It really helped a lot as even from far away I could make out my fellow riders and gave my eyes a relief rather then searching them in every so shaky rear view mirror and strain my eyes. It really helps other 4wheelers to see a 2 wheeler on the road too specially on the curves.

By the time we left Nahan, it was breezy and cold. I was not feeling comfortable and cursing myself to not ride a C5 again on rough roads with the OEM seat. Reached Chandigarh around 7pm and went straight home for a hot bath and spent two days recovering from a short ride with really bad backache and cold.

In total I had done 400km but it was the most tiring 150km on second day compared to 400km I had done in less then 4hrs without breaking a swet. But the bike performed flawlessly averaging 33km/l and not a single rattle from such a rattly journey.

Last edited by Randhawa : 20th January 2011 at 00:04.
Old 20th January 2011, 00:05   #1175
BHPian

Hi
That was a very nice summation. To the point and precise. I hope i can add some more to this wonderful thread very soon. 9 more months to go before i get my CL and i think it will take another couple of months before i get the hang of it and go for long drives. I am not able to view your images. Can you repost them.
Cheers.
drrajasaravanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 07:00   #1176
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic brake

I visited the local RE showroom some time ago for some other work, but took the opportunity to take a test-ride on the CL500. It was the first time I have been on that bike. It had a better pick-up than my TBTS but was distinctly less comfortable.

But the point that struck me the most is that its front-brake was stiff and hard and went from 0 to 100% braking in a matter of 3-5 mm of lever movement. Is this common to all CL500 bikes, or was it just the test-drive bike? It seems a dangerous brake, as it would lock up the front wheel easily during panic braking.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 11:22   #1177
BHPian

i spotted a cl500 with a round bag on the rear mudguard with the royal enfield emblem. looked like it was made of leather. can somebody post pics of the part and tell me what i saw?
nims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 13:53   #1178
BHPian

Hey Randhawa:

Thats a wonderful description of the trip.
Old 20th January 2011, 20:11   #1179
BHPian

Thanks to the advice from Randhawa, I test drove an Electra today (They didn't have a machismo at the showroom) - and I found the handle bar / seat configuration to be very comfortable. Anyone see problems in fitting the electra seat/handlebar configuration on a classic 500 (Other than the looks)?
SubuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 09:27   #1180
Senior - BHPian

What i would like is fitting the electra/machismo seat onto the frame which is provided on the classic without putting load on the rear fender stays.something RE has done on the G5 being sold in USA.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 09:44   #1181
BHPian

So is that possible?
SubuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:57   #1182
Senior - BHPian

@Karlitoz-Thanks for the appreciation.

@Dr- I think your wait will be fruitful. I just hope by the time you get your bike, the much needed bearing upgrade will be done.

@Rollin-That is not too common but it can happen usually if the bike has not been used for a while or very tiny rust on the disc. It goes away after you ride it for a while.

@Nims- What you saw was a tool box made of real leather. Usually its place is in the front but you can hang it anywhere.
Name:  Royal246.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  8.8 KB

@Nasir- You still waiting for the bike ? I don't think they would have done even half the work but lets see how they satisfy you for the last time hey

@Subus- No problem but only some DIY to get the seat fitted and electra handle is not a problem. If you don't want too much of visible alterations then better way in my opinion is to go discrete way as suggested by Navpreet. For that you would have to do some welding on the rear seat frame and seat base itself but the stays will remain clean and wont effect handling by removing the stress from the stays and keep it on the frame. You will have the option to remove the double seat and go back to the twin seat setup in no time.

Below is the modification with welding on the stays.
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-20112009262.jpg

Last edited by Randhawa : 21st January 2011 at 11:04.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:55   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
@Nasir- You still waiting for the bike ? I don't think they would have done even half the work but lets see how they satisfy you for the last time hey

Got the bike from service yesterday evening, after 8 days, and guess what?
They did not change the nylon swing arm bush to the metal one. I was so pissed. They gave reasons like there only one technician who could do that job, and hes gone on leave, and how they are short on manpower, etc etc. And how the whole swing arm has to sent to a far off place to grind the bush etc etc blah blah!!. They said they will do it next time. Buggers!!! (GOD only knows what they did with the bike for 8 days???)

Also, the pressure on the rear shocks could not be checked as they could not find the required needle.

need your expertise in understanding the following:

After service, when i took the bike for a test spin, i found the the handle bar (when left free, in motion) still pulls towards the right side. They had done the wheel alignment during this service, still the bike was pulling to right. When i asked the service manager, he said the UCEs have a slight tendency to pull towards the right, and gave me some uneven weight distribution funda/logic.
I insisted on rectifying the issue, and he said it can be done. What he did was rotated the front wheel spokes (not sure if he tightened or loosened). He rotated ONLY the spokes coming from the RIGHT SIDE of the hub, by about one complete turn. Asked me to go for a spin, and voila!! the bike went as straight as an arrow when i left the handle bars. i was happy.

Later at night, when i was returning home from work, i realised the following:

1. when i apply only the rear brakes (hard), the rear tyre skids towards the LEFT side. I tried hard braking a few times on plain road, and each time, the tyre skidded, and felt like skidding towards left side. Could this be related to the adjustments made in the front wheel spokes?

2. When i apply the front brake (hard), i get a feeling that the front part of the bike is not diving in equally, but more on right side, and less on left side. . The feeling is something like the left front fork is harder, and the right front fork is softer, and the bike slightly bends towards the right. The feel is very minor, and i am sure if i take it back to them, they will not acknowledge it.

Could this again be related to fiddling with the front wheel spokes, or could it be cos of the front fork oil change, which they did and goofed up??

Should i run the bike as it is, or could it lead to some permanent damage to the bike and the rider?? What do you make of this whole situation??

apart from this issue, the did work on the other issues, and bike feels smoother. Got the mineral oil only, and will think about the synthetic later. brake shoe, the rubber, etc have been replaced, and brakes feel stronger now. They said that the LHS cover was removed and the auto chain tensioner was adjusted. I hope so, as the silicon is missing now, and gear shifts have become smoother. Paid about 1.4k for the parts and consumables.

All in all, a disappointing experience, and i did complain to Eicher for taking 8 days for a regular service, and copied the mail to the service centre manager. Immediately got call from the manager, and a little later got call from the service reception desk to come and pick the bike. As the saying goes " laaton ke bhoot baaton se nahi maante", loosely translated as :ghosts of kick do not listen to talk"

Last edited by nasirkaka : 21st January 2011 at 15:07.
Old 21st January 2011, 15:44   #1184
Senior - BHPian

I hear you brother, only putting your concern to higher ups is the only way to get things done in RE. Which is a shame and shows that higher ups have no clue to whats going on under their nose as I personally feel that the management need pulling up as the staff is still used to old habits which is to carry on and don't want to think out of the box and improve. They really need some young and passionate management to get things right.

Yes it is true, the bike does pulls to right and the reason given to you is true(thank God they still have some brains to honestly say that). The reason behind is that due to the acceleration assembly situated on the Rh side of the bar and also due to the fact that our right arm is more stronger and this is done to counter the weight distribution.

Although not sure if tightening of spokes only one side is a good idea. As this bakes the weight distribution on half of the spokes more then the rest and more chances of braking. But if its only negligible then its fine. Try one thing, make someone else ride your bike on a straight road and from 10m behind, check the alignment of booth the wheels. You will see the problem if there is something wrong with the T or rear wheel alignment.

Most of the time the rear tyre will skid to LH side and nothing to do with the front and thats normal. It's also due to the fact that when we do hard braking, unconsciously the handle is tilted to left as we expect it to slide to that side.

I think you should get the oil changed again and in front of you. If you ride to much on rough road then get it filled with 170ml in each fork but down side will be a bit of diving otherwise 195ml if you ride mostly on smooth roads with totally eliminating the dive.

Improper level will cause instability as well as premature wear of the tyre from one side. But it can also happen if booth the forks are not tightened(into the top dome) properly and have height difference(highly unlikely to happen). I think its the F oil level.

Auto chain tensioner as its name says "AUTO" does not needs to be adjusted manually. If your bike is less jerky and more responsive gear shift then probably they tightened it a notch manually. I'll suggest to buy one and keep it in stock for future as I had three auto chain tensioner gone bad on mine by 15k and mostly its not in stock. Due to a faulty tensioner you can damage the primary chain with poor gear change and jerky performance. Chain itself cost 3k.

As you had reported drop in performance earlier and if you feel still the same after doing some kms. Try going back to the stock bazooka and see if things get back to normal.

Do get the fork oil checked and try to get the bushes fitted otherwise if in near future I come to Bangalore then we will DIY

By the way I wanted to update you on the new filter cover as I opened up the filter after 3k to check how well it was doing. Quite impressed by its function and shocked to see the filter itself letting in mud but a very faint mist of dust was found on the inside of the plastic cover. So I am eagerly waiting for K&N to come up with the stock size filter for C5 and also the new crank breather filter they are planning to incorporate within the box.
Old 21st January 2011, 16:43   #1185
BHPian

Hey, u seriously planning to come to town?

If yes, half the bangalore C5 riders would jump at the opportunity to meet you, and make you hear their maladies.

There is a teknik motors service centre close to my house. These guys are one of the few private authorised RE dealers for sales and service, in bangalore. A guy called Anand at their service center is got good name in the town. Will show him the bike and get his opinion. Also, will ask if he can replace the bushes and the oil (will get the oil done in my presence). Will also do a visual check from behind, on road, in motion for the (mis)alignment.

Quote:
As you had reported drop in performance earlier and if you feel still the same after doing some kms. Try going back to the stock bazooka and see if things get back to normal.
The pickup at low end seems to be slightly improved after the service. Could be the cleaner spark plug? Even i was contemplating a bazooka trial, to get a feel of performance. Will give it shot.

Hey, Whats your take on playing with front sprocket and their number of teeth?