Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th January 2011, 17:58   #1201
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
The colour looks great, neat!.

Any ideas for a Thunderbird? am planning to get mine coloured and am really looking for good options. All help in this regard appreciated.
You took the words of my mouth. I have a Royal Blue color 2002 RE Thunderbird .
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 19:13   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Classic86- As bradhey said, you should not compare it with the mudguard for reference point. Better to do it with front tyre. Aren't you using rear brake too much or not the proper ratio front to rear? In my entire 21k on my bike, the max I have skidded on the rear tyre is less then 10 times. You have more chance to loose your balance if rear is used more then front.
Somehow I never got to use the front at all in city traffic.. But I did use it.. Very rare though.. Is there any certain percentage of usage for front & rear or is it just determined by speed??

And another reason I never inclined to use much of front discs is that the bike dives in too much under the force of discs.. Is that common??

Probably because of my usage I guess, the rear brakes have too much play after around 500 kms. Will change my driving style and check the difference..
classic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 20:06   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Braking depends upon person to person. Personally I apply braking 60% front and 40% rear. You don't use the front much and probably thats why you have a very sharp front braking. You need to bed in the front pads a little and use them frequently to avoid the diving behaviour. You can also get the fork oil checked, it it's less then 195ml then you will have more pronounced front diving. If you get the fork oil to 195ml in each fork then you will completely eradicate any diving on hard braking.

If you are not used to front disc brake then better learn how to apply it properly and safely, avoid any sharp braking on turns which can lead to disastrous consequences.

Rear cushion rubbers are not up to their mark as our bikes are more heavy then the predecessors and develop play very fast. I get them changed every 3k. Had given my opinion on improving the cushion rubber quality to RE but they seem to ignore it just as other pending quality issues.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 10:43   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Braking depends upon person to person. Personally I apply braking 60% front and 40% rear. You don't use the front much and probably thats why you have a very sharp front braking. You need to bed in the front pads a little and use them frequently to avoid the diving behaviour. You can also get the fork oil checked, it it's less then 195ml then you will have more pronounced front diving. If you get the fork oil to 195ml in each fork then you will completely eradicate any diving on hard braking.

If you are not used to front disc brake then better learn how to apply it properly and safely, avoid any sharp braking on turns which can lead to disastrous consequences.

Rear cushion rubbers are not up to their mark as our bikes are more heavy then the predecessors and develop play very fast. I get them changed every 3k. Had given my opinion on improving the cushion rubber quality to RE but they seem to ignore it just as other pending quality issues.
Thanks for the info.. I will try Discs more often but cautiously.. I will check the oil level too..

By the way!! This is an out of topic question but are you interested in setting up a custom biking unit yourself.. I'm impressed by your knowledge and I think you can do great... I'm willing to be a part of that if you are interested.. What say???
classic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 13:11   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Nasir this is truly amazing....worth a hundred compliments...however (there is always a catch) this may be the colour Air force uses on its bullets...check it before you go ahead.
Hey Bradhey, this colour seems to be safe.

Following is the link to some relevant scanned pages from the section 121 of Central motor vehicles rules, see the post from sudarshan:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ehicles-3.html (Military Green not allowed for private vehicles?)

The rule says that NO civilian vehicle can have militrary green (olive green) colour, whether new or old. A lot of people disobey this rule, as its not strictly enforced. But why to be on the wrong side of the law??
So i guess we can have blue-grey in satin finish.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 22:49   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
So i guess we can have blue-grey in satin finish.

looks like some one kinda got that idea already!!!!!!!! of course its not on a classic but on a machismo.
Attached Images

Last edited by hollywoodhogan : 27th January 2011 at 22:50.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 23:57   #1207
BHPian

That is a well executed idea i must say. The paint looks gorgeous and the half black pipe is cool. Is that a tachometer or something like that on the left handle.? He has changed the wheels also. It is ideal for touring. Hmmm... I am getting some ideas for my Electra now.

Anyways to the owner
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 06:50   #1208
BHPian

With the exception of the rear light, I think the bike is awesome, only things I would add; smaller tail light and a matt black downpipe, though that is just personal taste. Congratulations to the owner of the bike!
elan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 14:50   #1209
BHPian

Hey, nice work on that bike.. How to get in touch with that guy to get details of where he got it painted/costs etc??
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 18:32   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hey, nice work on that bike.. How to get in touch with that guy to get details of where he got it painted/costs etc??
will try and get the details. "try" cos these images were sent to me by a friend who got it from someone else .

and hey, just realized that i had 1 more image of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by hollywoodhogan : 28th January 2011 at 18:59. Reason: got 1 more picture of it!
Old 28th January 2011, 19:24   #1211
BHPian

but RE seems to interested in a 650-700cc parallel twin and a Diesel tourer,
Source: Royal Enfield thinks ahead | Autocar India

God knows when all this will materialize considering the production backlogs they already have..
cogentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 23:54   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Good news-500 UCE coming in different form and colours soon

Expected soon to be launched new versions of bullet with 500 EFI and more options in Classic 500.

500 UCE will be launched in;

Standard 500 EFI (Black colour)
Electra 500 EFI (Maroon, Metallic Forest Green)
Classic chrome and with very popular demand but due to Government rules, desert colour instead of military green.
Name:  chrome.jpg
Views: 36724
Size:  76.0 KB

Can anyone please do a photoshop with desert colour in mat finish for this C5!
Name:  green.jpg
Views: 16488
Size:  138.2 KB

For some the bad news is that still no O2 sensor and all 500 with EFI but you never know they might shunt the idea of EFI due to cost reason and give us a carburettor version. But going by what I have seen, all were EFI. Sorry unable to share the pictures on here.

Update on swing arm bush upgrade

I believe in practice what you preach so here is a small info for those who want to go for a upgrade to take care of instability without loosing too much sleep by avoiding the no of checks I had previously quoted. I just did the upgrade myself today so here is a DIY for you lads.
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-bush.jpg

In the picture you can see the parts next to the swing arm which came out and the ones which went in.

The white bush and the spacer came out from stock C5. Flange bolt is reused with the new bushes x2 from the Standard CI bullet along with the the washers x2 from Std Bullet rear hub.

How to DIY

1. Remove the swing arm and the plastic bushes along with the spacer.

2. Grease the inside of the flange and use the flange bolt the hammer the CI bush in. You could also get it done on hydraulic press but you can adjust the length it needs to go in if you are doing this upgrade for the first time.

3. The bush outer rim should match the flange of the swing arm.
Name:  bush 2.jpg
Views: 7527
Size:  109.2 KB

4. Repeat the same for other bush.

5. Grease the bushes from inside.

6. Take the 2 washers and use a file to make the holes a tad bigger just with enough clearance to slide the flange bolt through.

This is the most fiddly and time consuming part if you are doing it for first time-

7. Put through the flange bolt from the chassis from one side and slide the washer onto the flange bolt. Don't make it protrude too much so that you are unable to horizontally align the swing arm. Now align the swing arm and push through the flange bolt into the swing arm just enough so that the washer is into its position from one side. Putting through the second washer is the most hardest as you have very tight clearances. But we need it just like that otherwise no point in putting in the new bushes.

You really got to use some common sense to get the second washer into it's place and may be some profanity to get it done.

8. Now tighten up the flange bolt.

9. Once rear is put back, take it for a short ride. Then get the flange bolt tightened while sitting on the bike.

Enjoy your bike on rails at whatever speeds you fancy without thinking of your loosing your family jewels.

Cost

Chain stay bushes(swing arm bushes) Rs 150 for a pair.
Washers Rs 20 for a pair
Labour Rs 150

Total cost of upgrade= Rs 320

Is the upgrade reversible?

Yes it is if you don't like the setup. But keep the spacer(if in good condition) and use new bushes if you want to revert back. Will need a press to get the bushes out.

CAUTION-Advisory note
After this upgrade, you will feel your bike behaving as if you have a over-inflated tyre or shocker at its hardest position. Don't bother adjusting the shocker to a lower setting as you will possibly damage the rear wiring harness and still not get a softer ride and curse me for a new mysterious electrical problem.

You will feel this behaviour simply because you were unaware of slack in the rear suspension system and not so good shock absorbers which you got used to. Now with the slack almost gone and with hard rear tyre and not so good shock absorber, you will feel the need to improve further on quality of ride rather then instability for C5 with 18's up front.

Better save and invest some money on a set of new high quality shock absorbers or keep the tyre pressure between 28-32PSi depending how you feel and your weight with/without a pillion rider.

But I'll wait for two weeks for things to settle down by itself(RE magic-seriously) and then go on from there if I feel the shocks need an upgrade.

Last edited by Randhawa : 30th January 2011 at 00:04.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 00:01   #1213
BHPian

randhawa,
for sure you have ready access to "inside company" information, else you would not have been able to "predict" so many moves over the last 1 year. anyway, cheers to that!
Old 30th January 2011, 10:23   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CAUTION-Advisory note
After this upgrade, you will feel your bike behaving as if you have a over-inflated tyre or shocker at its hardest position. Don't bother adjusting the shocker to a lower setting as you will possibly damage the rear wiring harness and still not get a softer ride and curse me for a new mysterious electrical problem.

You will feel this behaviour simply because you were unaware of slack in the rear suspension system and not so good shock absorbers which you got used to. Now with the slack almost gone and with hard rear tyre and not so good shock absorber, you will feel the need to improve further on quality of ride rather then instability for C5 with 18's up front.

Better save and invest some money on a set of new high quality shock absorbers or keep the tyre pressure between 28-32PSi depending how you feel and your weight with/without a pillion rider.

But I'll wait for two weeks for things to settle down by itself(RE magic-seriously) and then go on from there if I feel the shocks need an upgrade.
Randhawa Sahab i am a fan of the way you have kept this thread going. i am not a C5 owner neither do i plan to buy one soon. but after almost 10 year of riding around on STD bullet and Electras. i have a little bit of experience.

Now regarding the Suspension i think that if one wants they can go for the older STD type Shocks the ones with bigger pumps. or if one wants to stick with the Gas Shocks. they can go for the ones that came with the last gen 350 Electras. they are quite good. i found the C5's shockers to be bit too stiff.

Thanks
And keep thumping....
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 16:35   #1215

hey i'm kinda new here. also i have a month old classic 500 black and had my first service recently. Since i have been experiencing some back pain, i thought i would increase the suspension stroke by turning one notch to the right on the right hand side and to the right on the left hand side. But since then i have been hearing a rubbing noise, which i think is from the chain against something. Its coming from the rear Right hand side. so then i went a few steps back and i can see the the tire is kind of towards the right hand side. i dint think that the suspension change would increase the misalignment so much. The noise is there when i rotate the wheel slowly. I have changed the suspension setting to the original one,but the noise has further increased. For the first service i remember the wheel being aligned properly. Also i checked the number of teeth on each side, its 16 on RH side and 20 on the LH side. Could this be a problem? Please advise...... newbie under stress.....
abhaythomas27 is offline   Reply With Quote